new VIC SMP - where are you now

Guest Mongobear

Guest Buddy
This would only be valid if ALL instructions conducted during your college or university years are in ENGLISH. As for my wife, it is not the case.

Upon further reading on the document attached by the officer, Uli is correct, it states that:

achievement of an IELTS average band score of at least 4.5 in a test conducted

not more than 12 months before lodging their application or at the time of

processing the application;

I've read "12 months" ... panicked.. looked at my wife's IELTS result (which I've submitted along with my 176, Apr-2011) and BANG!!! it is 14 months old!

I'll rush tomorrow to the British council to book the nearest exam for her!

damn it.. very unpleasant

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mongobear
I've read "12 months" ... panicked.. looked at my wife's IELTS result (which I've submitted along with my 176, Apr-2011) and BANG!!! it is 14 months old!

I'll rush tomorrow to the British council to book the nearest exam for her!

damn it.. very unpleasant

Hey buddy,

I've never heard about that 12 months rule before but of course that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Anyway, sometimes the case officers have a kind of a leeway for certain things (medicals for example) so I'd advise you to talk to the DIAC first before booking any IELTS for your wifey. It's pretty strange, I just read my letter from the CO and they don't mention that 12 months rule at all. I'll try to find out some more. Give me some minutes please.

Uli

Hi All

my agent asked for a bank statement or utility bill as proof of living together, i sent them to her and she has said as we live in france we will have to get them translated.To me you can see what they are its pretty pretty obvious even if you don't speak french!!

has anyone else had to do this?? or do you think i should just send them?

thanks julie:arghh:

Guest Mongobear
Hey buddy,

I've never heard about that 12 months rule before but of course that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Anyway, sometimes the case officers have a kind of a leeway for certain things (medicals for example) so I'd advise you to talk to the DIAC first before booking any IELTS for your wifey. It's pretty strange, I just read my letter from the CO and they don't mention that 12 months rule at all. I'll try to find out some more. Give me some minutes please.

Uli

Hi Buddy,

I'm afraid I found it and it's true:

You must provide one of the following:

- your IELTS TRF Number to show you have a band score of at least four and a half (4.5) based on all four components.

Important: If you are using an IELTS test to show functional English, it must be from a test sat no more than 12 months before making your application.

- evidence that you have a degree, diploma or trade qualification requiring at least two years of full time study or training with all instruction conducted in English

- evidence that you have completed at least one year of full time study in Australia towards a degree or diploma qualification with all instruction conducted in English

- evidence that you have completed one of the following at an educational institution where all instruction was conducted in English:

- your primary education and at least three years of secondary education, or

- at least five years of secondary education.

Source: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/176/eligibility-english-family.htm

Sorry but it seems booking another IELTS for your wife will be the best idea.

Good luck for her

Uli (who just sold the IELTS-books of his wife :wink:)

Guest Mongobear
Hi All

my agent asked for a bank statement or utility bill as proof of living together, i sent them to her and she has said as we live in france we will have to get them translated.To me you can see what they are its pretty pretty obvious even if you don't speak french!!

has anyone else had to do this?? or do you think i should just send them?

thanks julie:arghh:

I know people who even sent their German PCC to the DIAC without translating them and they accepted it. There seem to be some thinking souls at the DIAC at last :wink: So if you think that your evidence is understandable also for an English reader than just go for it. All they can ask for is a translation.

Cheerio

Uli

Guest Buddy
Hi Buddy,

I'm afraid I found it and it's true:

Source: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/176/eligibility-english-family.htm

Sorry but it seems booking another IELTS for your wife will be the best idea.

Good luck for her

Uli (who just sold the IELTS-books of his wife :wink:)

Thank you captain, it is there indeed, I have looked it up just before posting my previous port, but I was so "unhappy" that it did not occur to me to post the links.

Captain, thank you for taking care of us the crew :)

Guest soumya
Not yet mate! Vic has asked me to submit the skills assessment, which in a way, does most probably mean my SS would be approved if I'm able to get the assessment done from ACS in 3 months.

I asked him to turn me baby blue (a lighter shade of blue) because of the mail ha ha :wink:

Wish me luck!! :)

armandra!

Mate,

Seems like am in the same boat - had received the same email from VIC SMP in mid April asking for my ACS assessment.

But my ACS assessor did a superb job - I got my application "With Assessor + Registered Post" in less than 6 weeks from the time the docs were posted / status set to "In Process".

Should get the assessment early next week - will shoot it across to the SMP team - hopefully t baby blue can be converted to blueey:)

Guest Fate will decide

Hi All,

We received this email from Victoria this morning, after emailing on Friday to update them with daughter's actual date of birth, not due date after reading the change of circumstances posts on here!

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for the application for Victorian Government nomination under the 176 - Sponsored visa scheme under the occupation of 261312 Developer Programmer.

To be eligible for skilled migration, applicants will need to have their skills assessed by the Australian Computer Society (ACS). Visit the ACS website for details on gaining the assessment: www.acs.org.au.

The Skilled and Business Migration Program will hold the application open for three months to enable you to complete the registration process. Once you receive the assessment, email a scanned copy to the Skilled and Business Migration Program.

We look forward to receiving the skill assessment.

Please quote Reference Number : SS-2011-XXXXX in all of your communication to us.

Kind regards,

Skilled and Business Migration Program

I see a couple of others are also in this situation, are you looking at this as being positive?

Need to hurry passport applications through now, just in case!

Hi All,

We received this email from Victoria this morning, after emailing on Friday to update them with daughter's actual date of birth, not due date after reading the change of circumstances posts on here!

I see a couple of others are also in this situation, are you looking at this as being positive?

Need to hurry passport applications through now, just in case!

FwD,

It is indeed a positive sign and indicates that your case has already been approved by the Industry Panel and the only hurdle is you submitting the skills assessment and SS would come along in a day or two.

Did you happen to lodge your skills assessment app with ACS yet?

P.S: Me too received the same mail a week ago and now waiting for my skills assessment result from ACS.

armandra!

Guest Fate will decide
FwD,

It is indeed a positive sign and indicates that your case has already been approved by the Industry Panel and the only hurdle is you submitting the skills assessment and SS would come along in a day or two.

Did you happen to lodge your skills assessment app with ACS yet?

P.S: Me too received the same mail a week ago and now waiting for my skills assessment result from ACS.

armandra!

Thanks for your reply, we lodged ACS on 4/4/11, but had an email to request something we forgot to provide originally and posted that on Friday. We were hoping to hear back within a few weeks, especially as I need to change my name on passports and get the children's passports sorted first before lodging anything!

i've been assigned to a CO already. However, they are asking for my wife to pass the IELTS exam. I am the principal applicant and she is only secondary. :arghh:I thought IELTS exam is only needed when her skills assessment is for consideration. :jiggy:I did not include that in my application.

Has anyone experienced this before where the CO asked for the secondary applicant's IELTS exam?:twitcy:

Did you mention that the 2nd applicant will give you additional points because of nominated skill? If yes, IELTS is mandatory in this case.

Guest Mongobear
Just had email from VIC, got excited... but it's just them asking for a non-work email. Sent it to them immediately. Is this a sign of progress??

Hey NorthernSoul,

it means that somebody from the SMP-team touched your application but it's not yet a "yes" or "no". We've had one other applicant who was asked for a private eMail address and we think it's just because VIC wants to stay in touch with you when you finally migrate. This could be difficult on a company-address :wink:

Uli

Guest Mongobear
Did anyone get a successful assessment from ACS for "SOFTWARE TESTER" recently?

Hey auzzycrazzy,

looking at our first page I can see that "ebanster" and "Kiran Kumar" both nominated Software Tester as their occupation so you might want to get in touch with them. Why do you want to be assessed as a software-tester? This occupation is only sponsored by the ACT and the places there are very limited. You should rather try to be assessed in an occupation which is listed on the SOL schedule 3 or look in the states' SMP-plans for a suitable occupation.

Cheers

Uli

Guest auzzycrazzy
Hey auzzycrazzy,

looking at our first page I can see that "ebanster" and "Kiran Kumar" both nominated Software Tester as their occupation so you might want to get in touch with them. Why do you want to be assessed as a software-tester? This occupation is only sponsored by the ACT and the places there are very limited. You should rather try to be assessed in an occupation which is listed on the SOL schedule 3 or look in the states' SMP-plans for a suitable occupation.

Cheers

Uli

Hey Uli,

Thanks so much for your reply,

I'm a SOFTWARE TESTER, so if I get ACS to assess my skills I'm sure they'll assess my occupation as a SOFTWARE tester.

My situation is bit different, I have already lodged an application (176 Family sponsored), I'm planning to convert it to 176 State sponsored(I can do this because I applied in June 2009)

My plan is to get a new assessment from ACS and get Victoria to sponsor me after they reopen to ICT applications.

So now i'm looking for successful assessment for "SOFTWARE TESTER"

Thanks again

Guest Mongobear

Hi,

I wouldn't be so sure that VIC is putting testers again on their SMP. I don't say that it's not going to happen but I would not plan with it. Which is your current assessment code? Is it 2231-79 (software tester) ?

Cheers

Uli

Hey Uli,

Thanks so much for your reply,

I'm a SOFTWARE TESTER, so if I get ACS to assess my skills I'm sure they'll assess my occupation as a SOFTWARE tester.

My situation is bit different, I have already lodged an application (176 Family sponsored), I'm planning to convert it to 176 State sponsored(I can do this because I applied in June 2009)

My plan is to get a new assessment from ACS and get Victoria to sponsor me after they reopen to ICT applications.

So now i'm looking for successful assessment for "SOFTWARE TESTER"

Thanks again

Guest auzzycrazzy
Hi,

I wouldn't be so sure that VIC is putting testers again on their SMP. I don't say that it's not going to happen but I would not plan with it. Which is your current assessment code? Is it 2231-79 (software tester) ?

Cheers

Uli

yes that's my code.

I have another question.

In case I get sponsored by a state and I want to change my application to 176 state sponsored, do I need to submit a new assessment from ACS to DIAC(since the codes have changed)

OR

is the current assessment enough for them

thanks a lot for your help and support Uli

Guest haskayne

please turn me to Brown. As a systems analyst, I applied Vic SS on 18th Jan. Today, I got negative mail from Vic.

Guest Mongobear
yes that's my code.

I have another question.

In case I get sponsored by a state and I want to change my application to 176 state sponsored, do I need to submit a new assessment from ACS to DIAC(since the codes have changed)

OR

is the current assessment enough for them

thanks a lot for your help and support Uli

Hi auzzycrazzy,

if you apply for a sponsorship you don't need a valid assessment (if the state does not require a valid one). I was in the same situation. Applied for the visa in May 2010 with a 2231-79 assessment which was valid until Dec. 2010. Got my VIC-SS in April 2011 and could switch to a 176 without problems.

Coming back to your assessment. If you hold a 2231-79 assessment then you should go for a reassessment with the ACS. There's an official special arrangement between the DIAC and the ACS in place which allows holders of that crappy code to change their nominated occupation after applying for the visa. Check here and here. DON'T make the mistake and choose software-tester as your new occupation. It might bring you nowhere. Even if VIC puts it up on their SMP again, the chances of getting granted are low, especially in the ICT sector. Just calculated it for November 2010 (which is almost complete) and out of 45 decided ICT applications only 19 were granted. If I was in your situation my plan would be the following:

1. Wait for the revised SOL to be published (which should happen soon).

2. Check which ICT-occupations are on the new schedule 3.

3. Pick one that closely matches your tasks back then (when you initially applied for the skills-assessment).

4. Apply for a reassessment for that occupation according to the documents I've linked.

In case the reassessment is successful, either provide a copy of the new assessments to the DIAC and they'll bump you up to cat3 or use the new assessment to gather for state-sponsorships.

Good luck

Uli

Guest Mongobear
please turn me to Brown. As a systems analyst, I applied Vic SS on 18th Jan. Today, I got negative mail from Vic.

Hey haskayne,

sorry for your rejection, mate. What is your plan B if I may ask? I hope there is one.

Uli

Guest auzzycrazzy
Hi auzzycrazzy,

if you apply for a sponsorship you don't need a valid assessment (if the state does not require a valid one). I was in the same situation. Applied for the visa in May 2010 with a 2231-79 assessment which was valid until Dec. 2010. Got my VIC-SS in April 2011 and could switch to a 176 without problems.

Coming back to your assessment. If you hold a 2231-79 assessment then you should go for a reassessment with the ACS. There's an official special arrangement between the DIAC and the ACS in place which allows holders of that crappy code to change their nominated occupation after applying for the visa. Check here and here. DON'T make the mistake and choose software-tester as your new occupation. It might bring you nowhere. Even if VIC puts it up on their SMP again, the chances of getting granted are low, especially in the ICT sector. Just calculated it for November 2010 (which is almost complete) and out of 45 decided ICT applications only 19 were granted. If I was in your situation my plan would be the following:

1. Wait for the revised SOL to be published (which should happen soon).

2. Check which ICT-occupations are on the new schedule 3.

3. Pick one that closely matches your tasks back then (when you initially applied for the skills-assessment).

4. Apply for a reassessment for that occupation according to the documents I've linked.

In case the reassessment is successful, either provide a copy of the new assessments to the DIAC and they'll bump you up to cat3 or use the new assessment to gather for state-sponsorships.

Good luck

Uli

Hey Uli,

Thanks so much for your valuable advice.

I can wait and see what's going to be on the new SOL, but I hardly beleive that SOFTWARE TESTER or anything close to that occupation will be added to the new SOL, even if I get a reassessment I think my occupation is going to be SOFTWARE TESTER.

So I think I have no other option other than waiting.

There is a talk going on saying that CAT 4 might get looked in JULY 2011.

If they start processing CAT 4, do I still need to get a reassessment because I have the 2231-79 code?

Thanks

Guest Mongobear

Hi auzzy,

if cat4 ever gets processed then you won't need a reassessment but I would not rely on that. Even if they start processing cat4s next year it might take some more years until they finally reach the 2010 candidates. Cat4 dates back to August 2007 so there's almost 3 years to be processed and the current backlog is 140.000 applications. Nobody knows what will happen before (cap&cease, priority changing again, new government in OZ ... ?!?) so I wouldn't want to wait for it. It could turn out to be good for you but nobody knows. It's always better to have at least one backup plan in that migration-system. Five backup plans would be better.

You should also think about a completely new visa-application with a fresh ACS-assessment under then new points-system (if you are eligible). It will cost another full visa fee but I'd rather shell out another 3000 bucks than waiting for the processing of cat4.

Cheerio

Uli

Hey Uli,

Thanks so much for your valuable advice.

I can wait and see what's going to be on the new SOL, but I hardly beleive that SOFTWARE TESTER or anything close to that occupation will be added to the new SOL, even if I get a reassessment I think my occupation is going to be SOFTWARE TESTER.

So I think I have no other option other than waiting.

There is a talk going on saying that CAT 4 might get looked in JULY 2011.

If they start processing CAT 4, do I still need to get a reassessment because I have the 2231-79 code?

Thanks

Guest Mongobear
Hi

We have applied for a Contibutory Parent Visa, can anyone tell me what time factor we are looking at before being called for Medicals

Hi sandracca,

welcome to the PIO. I'm afraid this is is not the right thread for your post. Please open up a new thread here and I'm sure you'll receive many helpful answers. To do so just hit the big orange "New Thread" button on top of the thread-list. Just let me know if you need additional help.

Uli

Archived