Convertible cars

ghost

Whilst sitting in my lounge listening to the wind and rain battering my window I'm looking to the future and fantasy that this time next year we will hopefully be in oz.

So with all our planning were looking at what seems to be a very limited choice of cars.

My wife has a lovely convertible here , which she gets to open about 5 times a year. So the plan was to have one over in oz to enjoy the sun to the max.

Looking around it seems none of the big manufacturers sell them , there are a few about but not much choice at all.

So conclusion, there not that popular, it has to be it's just too damn hot !

Can anyone shed some light ?

Guest Happyone

It's great in winter during the day to warm up with the roof down in the sun, and in summer at night. Summer during the day - forget it in Queensland, way too hot, you will cook yourself. Night time it is just wonderful, nothing like driving with the top down on a stinking hot night. Most of the big car manufacturers here make them - VW has the EOS, Holden has an Astra convertible, Peugeot has one, BMW and Merc do them too.

Guest chris955

To be honest convertibles aren't that popular here as it just gets too hot to use them. A mate in the UK has a convertible MG which he uses with the top down most of the time. He took me out in it when I was there and it was great, made me want to get one.

they really aren't so popular in Oz, as was already mentioned, mainly because of the heat and the sunburn factor! You can get them, but they just aren't practical. You don't even see as many cars with a sunroof as you do in the UK

We had a convertable in the Uk and we loved it but as the others have said, I wouldnt want one over here no way. The sun is out practically everyday and you really dont feel the need to get out in it all the time.

Your car wants to feel cool not hot, the sun here is so harsh you wouldnt want it on your head all the time beleive me. I never thought I would not want one over here, but really you wont.:wubclub:

I agree, not really popular - now air conditioning on the other hand .....

Just before I left Canberra we were having a really chiilly day and I saw a bloke driving a convertible (odd enough that I noticed) and he was dressed as if he was having a nice day out at the North Pole! Guess he thought he needed to get his roof down money's worth!

• 5 months later...

I agree with the rest, AU is just way to hot to drive a convertible you'd burn yourself big time. AC is whats needed there!

I have one here in the UK and have the roof down a lot, as long as its dry and not too cold its fine. In fact when its like it is this week, its absolutely perfect :wink:

I actually read somewhere in a car mag, a while back, that the UK sell more convertible cars than any other country!

Archived