Is there any irish thread???

Guest sinead

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update from us, well we have been here nearly a month now and have to say we all love it. The kids started school last week and are having a ball my 12 year old is well impressed her school tour is to Brisbane and the Gold Coast for 5 days I think that beats A day trip to Dublin Zoo.

We're a 30 min drive outside Coffs Harbour in a place called Corindi Beach its really lovely, we're 2 min's to the beach and 2 min's to the pub what more could you ask for

It would remind you of a small holiday town in Ireland about 20 years ago, Bettiestown for example or Rush. There's a shop a post office a pub a caravan park and i'd say maybe 200 houses.

Only down side so far is its a little isolated the nearest decent supermarket is 20k away I went shopping today and it cost me $200 and i'll probably end up spending another 50 or 60 so it is more expensive I suppose it just a matter of getting used to what to buy.

Best of luck to everyone X.

Sounds like a dream, a big change from Ireland.

My husband's already in Melbourne and he said it costs between $7 and $8 a pint....and he's a local!! Sounds like Dublin eh?

I'm still shacked up with my parents in Scotland waiting on my spouse visa being processed (and the shipment to arrive. Careline have added on another 2 weeks to the arrival date) At least it's warmer here than Melbourne, can't complain.

Glad all's going well,

:biggrin:

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Guys,

Just a quick update from us, well we have been here nearly a month now and have to say we all love it. The kids started school last week and are having a ball my 12 year old is well impressed her school tour is to Brisbane and the Gold Coast for 5 days I think that beats A day trip to Dublin Zoo.

We're a 30 min drive outside Coffs Harbour in a place called Corindi Beach its really lovely, we're 2 min's to the beach and 2 min's to the pub what more could you ask for

It would remind you of a small holiday town in Ireland about 20 years ago, Bettiestown for example or Rush. There's a shop a post office a pub a caravan park and i'd say maybe 200 houses.

Only down side so far is its a little isolated the nearest decent supermarket is 20k away I went shopping today and it cost me $200 and i'll probably end up spending another 50 or 60 so it is more expensive I suppose it just a matter of getting used to what to buy.

Best of luck to everyone X.

Glad to hear everything going so well. I am actually from Bettystown!!! Grew across the road from the beach. Living in Mornington now at the top of the Golf Links Road! We are heading to Albury, NSW the second week in August with our 8 yr old. Nervous but excited!

Hi All,

Just wanted to remind you to claim back your tax whenever you get your P45. You need to download a form from the revenue website - it's called claiming tax back during unemployment and has a section for leaving the country. You'll get a lovely surprise, I did....got back about 90% of the tax I'd paid up to June (mind you I've spent most of it now on clothes, shoes, cosmetics. Now need to keep the rest for excess baggage)

Thanks for this info, ill look into.

Guest orlaandjoe

Just thought I'd say hi, Im Orla, a midwife from Ireland. Myself, my partner and our wee boy are hoping to move to Adelaide. We have started the process for our 176 state sponsered visa.. I sent my skills assessment to ANMC 22 weeks ago and still waiting for the results..slowly cracking up at this stage!:arghh: anyone else heading for south australlia?this thread is a great idea to get the Irish inside info for medicals, garda clearance etc!

Guest allieanddermo

Well Careline are supposedly coming today to collect our stuff..

still waiting for them to arrive and its 10.30 already

flights booked to Brisbane for myself and kids and hubby

following august 1st..

All happening now.

good luck to everyone with their move..

Allie

x

Well Careline are supposedly coming today to collect our stuff..

still waiting for them to arrive and its 10.30 already

flights booked to Brisbane for myself and kids and hubby

following august 1st..

All happening now.

good luck to everyone with their move..

Allie

x

Hi Allie,

Just saw your post. How did you find Careline? I need to look at shipping companies and costs etc. I am in the middle of sorting my house out, don't know what to bring with me or leave behind... I need advise :unsure: this really is the difficult part.

What part of Brisbane are you heading to? It looks lovely, so much to do. My kids were amazed at the theme parks.

Hope you got sorted with the shipping company...

Guest allieanddermo
Hi Allie,

Just saw your post. How did you find Careline? I need to look at shipping companies and costs etc. I am in the middle of sorting my house out, don't know what to bring with me or leave behind... I need advise :unsure: this really is the difficult part.

What part of Brisbane are you heading to? It looks lovely, so much to do. My kids were amazed at the theme parks.

Hope you got sorted with the shipping company...

Hi Gincom,

Yes they came to collect our stuff which was just boxes we arent bringing furniture

I had originally got a quote for 100cubic feet and ended up sending 3 times that..

just waiting for an update from them re the new costs....

We are heading to The Gap just north of Brisbane its a really nice leafy suburb,

my sister lives there...

Cant wait for all the sad farewells to be over........:sad:

Allie

Guest murph33
Just thought I'd say hi, Im Orla, a midwife from Ireland. Myself, my partner and our wee boy are hoping to move to Adelaide. We have started the process for our 176 state sponsered visa.. I sent my skills assessment to ANMC 22 weeks ago and still waiting for the results..slowly cracking up at this stage!:arghh: anyone else heading for south australlia?this thread is a great idea to get the Irish inside info for medicals, garda clearance etc!

Hi Orla,

Our 457 visa was granted last Monday:smile: absoutly delighted, we were initially heading to Melbourne but the company my oh is working for is sending us to Adelaide, we are planning to fly out the middle of October. Cant wait :biggrin:

Marie and Tony

Guest orlaandjoe
Hi Orla,

Our 457 visa was granted last Monday:smile: absoutly delighted, we were initially heading to Melbourne but the company my oh is working for is sending us to Adelaide, we are planning to fly out the middle of October. Cant wait :biggrin:

Marie and Tony

Hey marie and tony!that is fab news congratulations!cannot wait til we are ready to book the flights and go!hopefully we will be going over in jan though all going well!best of luck with the big move!

orla:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got our partner visa application in today! I'm already in Brisbane on a 457 but it's a great relief to have this application in and start the road towards permanent residency. It's going to take a long time (~9 months processing!) but it'll be worth all the hassle and waiting when it comes. I hope!

Finally got our partner visa application in today! I'm already in Brisbane on a 457 but it's a great relief to have this application in and start the road towards permanent residency. It's going to take a long time (~9 months processing!) but it'll be worth all the hassle and waiting when it comes. I hope!

Good luck gathering all the documents. It took me 3 months. I was sure we didn't have enough evidence as we don't have joint bank accounts/mortgage etc. In the end the subclass 100 was granted in just 4 months. I'm flying out on 17/8.....................yehaaaaaa. :biggrin:

Only a couple of weeks to go Amanda, excited? Nervous?

Yeah we took ages gathering our documents but it's all done now. Just have to add the UK police check whenever that comes through but it's all finished at our end. It's just a waiting game now

Feeling both excited and nervous. We've talked about it for so long and now it's finally happening. We lived in Co Kildare for 6 years so I had cut the apron strings but now that I've moved back to Glasgow to stay with my parents while I was waiting on my visa coming through, it's making the move to Oz a lot more emotional than I though it would be. Hated saying goodbye to friends in Dublin now need to go through it all again here. :sad:

It had better be worth it!!!!

Feeling both excited and nervous. We've talked about it for so long and now it's finally happening. We lived in Co Kildare for 6 years so I had cut the apron strings but now that I've moved back to Glasgow to stay with my parents while I was waiting on my visa coming through, it's making the move to Oz a lot more emotional than I though it would be. Hated saying goodbye to friends in Dublin now need to go through it all again here. :sad:

It had better be worth it!!!!

Yeah we had much the same thing. Left Plymouth just before Christmas, which was emotionally draining and then left Dublin just after Christmas, which was equally so.

Guest celticboy39

Hey everyone been on expatsforum for mths now and only jus found this site....our story so far vetassess granted 03/11..SS for SA granted 05/11...online visa lodged june 1st...pcc 06/11 and we done all our medicals yesturday:biggrin:...our 3 yr olds was sent straight away to the CO and ours will be sent in 4 workin days!!!....So its playing de waiting game again,de buyers for our house want to close de sale on sep 2nd so taking a huge risk if visas are not thru by then:frown:....

Wow... Sinead... Good Luck!

No idea who we will use, have also used multi-trip previously!!!

Best Wishes Susie

We're also looking into travel insurance as well but can't seem to find anyone that insures from Ireland going one-way......travelling in two weeks so would like to get this sorted.

For all those that have travelled one-way from ireland recently, i'm sure you have travel insurance, can you let us know who you used and comments please?

thanks,

Harry

Start one yourself. I started the Melbourne one, it will take a while for people to find it, join and start talking but everything has to start somewhere.

Well im not there yet! lol But might give it a whirl once im settled if someone else dont start one b4 then. :wink:

Congrats Sinead on the visa best of luck to you....hope we get ours soon!!!

Thanks - thought the hard work was over after all that but no, now on mad saving buzz, for shipping flights and relocation costs! Whole process gonna cost E25K at least but hopefully once we get there we will get jobs soon enough and will settle in so it will b worth it!

What visa did you apply for and when did you lodge it? Have a look at june gang thread 1st page has who applied in June and most have their Visa now. Where abouts in Ireland are ye?

Sinead

Guest gill1362

Hi folks delighted to find an Irish thread - we are at the very start of the 176 application and hoping to head to Perth. We are a family of 4 and am just wondering can anyone give me any advice on cost of living in Perth - gas electric insurance etc - thanks!

Archived