Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

Guest matthew from Essex
i want to ship my car as it will work out less expensive than buying one there

the paperwork seems daunting, is it as bad as it seems, would rather someone did it for me

HI Iron Chef,

Thank you for the very informative messages you left in this forum. Looking at the prices in red book, we have decided to ship my Ford Transit Van 2 year old. I am all confused with all the paper I have to go through, can I contact Kristian see if they can help me? Thank you again.

Guest Sue1203

Hi all

Just thought I would let you know that after a long tiring approx 7 weeks, we received our permits for our Jeep/Car and 3 Quads. OMG what a process...I have to say the Visa process wasn't half as stressful (maybe it helped that we had an agent for our Visa but still...).

Anyway, its done now so we just have to wait for them to arrive in the post. Wondering if anyone can advise that because we don't have our Permits in our hands, does this mean that we can't ship them as our shipping company is coming in on the 20th June so do we have to wait for our permits to arrive or will our reference numbers we received off the Canberra office do???? :unsure:

Anyone need any advice please let me know as there are 2 different forms for cars and quads and a lot of late nights scanning and scanning and scanning and scanning and then emailing and then of course for them to come back and say they can't read our attachments and then having to rescan and rescan and rescan again in their format!!!:arghh:

But happy days, its done and again if I can help in anyway, just let me know.

S

x :hug:

Hi sue

Just a quick question, if you can help, did you have an Australian rental address to make up the 100 points or did you sell your property here. We are renting our house out so don't have the sale to make up points. Really frustrating! We opened bank account in oz a year ago and they say it's not recent enough so no points for that and don't have jobs there yet either! Any words of advice?

Thanks

Grainne

Guest Sue1203

Hi grainne

I can tell you that we sent the following docs, application form, car reg docs, emails from schools that we enquired with, emails from banks we enquired with, cancellation letter for our rental, purchase docs for our car etc, visa grant notice letter, travel statement, flight itinerary...I am just out and about at the mo so when I get home I will check and c if I left anything out and let u know...maybe if u have kids, send emails off to the schools in the area u r looking at.

It is very frustrating as we sent off our applications for the 2 and they were treated separately and dealt with by 2 different assessors and even though we sent all the info for 1 of the vehicles, we still had to email everything again for the other vehicle. Oh yeah, don't forget to send ur passport bio page and all of the blank pages.

S

X

Guest Sue1203
Thanks Sue, I got a letter this morning from my solicitor to say we have rented out our house here from aug so hopefully that does it. Nightmare, more stressful than visa LOL

Hi ya

It really is and we are sending them by roll on/roll off so that when we arrive at the end of July, they will be a day after us so we won't need to hire a car...it will only take 30days approx and between them and then shipping our quads and household, we got a great price. How are you sending yours?

S

x

Hi all

Just thought I would let you know that after a long tiring approx 7 weeks, we received our permits for our Jeep/Car and 3 Quads. OMG what a process...I have to say the Visa process wasn't half as stressful (maybe it helped that we had an agent for our Visa but still...).

Anyway, its done now so we just have to wait for them to arrive in the post. Wondering if anyone can advise that because we don't have our Permits in our hands, does this mean that we can't ship them as our shipping company is coming in on the 20th June so do we have to wait for our permits to arrive or will our reference numbers we received off the Canberra office do???? :unsure:

Anyone need any advice please let me know as there are 2 different forms for cars and quads and a lot of late nights scanning and scanning and scanning and scanning and then emailing and then of course for them to come back and say they can't read our attachments and then having to rescan and rescan and rescan again in their format!!!:arghh:

S

Many shipping companies will refuse to take cars until they know for sure that you have the import approvals in your hands, but if you book them on now, you should have what you need by the time the boat leaves. I'd get things moving now if you've been in regular communication with DIT and they've advised you via email that they're all approved.

In normal circumstances, DON'T ship until you have the import approval - there's nothing worse (or expensive or upsetting) than getting a car half way to Australia only to find it has been knocked back.

Hi sue

Just a quick question, if you can help, did you have an Australian rental address to make up the 100 points or did you sell your property here. We are renting our house out so don't have the sale to make up points. Really frustrating! We opened bank account in oz a year ago and they say it's not recent enough so no points for that and don't have jobs there yet either! Any words of advice?

Thanks

Grainne

I think you already mentioned this further down, but a letter from the real estate agent saying you've rented your house out should be ok in this circumstance.

Hi grainne

I can tell you that we sent the following docs, application form, car reg docs, emails from schools that we enquired with, emails from banks we enquired with, cancellation letter for our rental, purchase docs for our car etc, visa grant notice letter, travel statement, flight itinerary...I am just out and about at the mo so when I get home I will check and c if I left anything out and let u know...maybe if u have kids, send emails off to the schools in the area u r looking at.

It is very frustrating as we sent off our applications for the 2 and they were treated separately and dealt with by 2 different assessors and even though we sent all the info for 1 of the vehicles, we still had to email everything again for the other vehicle. Oh yeah, don't forget to send ur passport bio page and all of the blank pages.

S

X

Yep that's standard procedure for Canberra - every application gets dealt with separately. Unfortunately, you can 'assume knowledge' when dealing with DIT...

Hi ya

It really is and we are sending them by roll on/roll off so that when we arrive at the end of July, they will be a day after us so we won't need to hire a car...it will only take 30days approx and between them and then shipping our quads and household, we got a great price. How are you sending yours?

S

x

Bear in mind it can be 1-2 weeks just to clear the cars off the docks, and another 1-2 weeks to do the work necessary to get them registered, then register them, so I'd still be checking out hire car companies...

We are taking a motor bike in the container with the house contents.4k for the container

But definately think it's more expensive from northern ire than mainland uk, prob less competition lol

As they say in the shipping trade, Ireland to the UK is 'a very expensive stretch of water'.

Guest Sue1203
Many shipping companies will refuse to take cars until they know for sure that you have the import approvals in your hands, but if you book them on now, you should have what you need by the time the boat leaves. I'd get things moving now if you've been in regular communication with DIT and they've advised you via email that they're all approved.

In normal circumstances, DON'T ship until you have the import approval - there's nothing worse (or expensive or upsetting) than getting a car half way to Australia only to find it has been knocked back.

I think you already mentioned this further down, but a letter from the real estate agent saying you've rented your house out should be ok in this circumstance.

Yep that's standard procedure for Canberra - every application gets dealt with separately. Unfortunately, you can 'assume knowledge' when dealing with DIT...

Bear in mind it can be 1-2 weeks just to clear the cars off the docks, and another 1-2 weeks to do the work necessary to get them registered, then register them, so I'd still be checking out hire car companies...

As they say in the shipping trade, Ireland to the UK is 'a very expensive stretch of water'.

Hi ironchef

Would you be able to advise me on how you go about getting the jeep/car registered in oz and once customs clear them, are we able to drive them away? We have the jeep and car booked on the ferry for 27 June and have to hand over to our shipping company on the 20th June.

Many thanks

S

Hi...

Just been reading the brochure VSB10 about info for importing your vehicle and it seems to me that the majority of people would be stuffed when it comes to meeting the 50 point requirment ,...here's a copy

50 points; you must supply at least 1 of the 50 points documents

1 your employment details, such as a letter from your Australian employer;

2 your resignation from employment in your former country of residence.

3 a rental agreement/purchase agreement for your residential property in Australia; (ie, longstanding holiday or second homes do not count)

4 the sale of your residential property in your former country of residence;

5 the cancellation of your residential rental property in your former country of residence;

......in my case..

1.. I havn't got a job to move to in Australia,

2..I'm self employed here in the UK,

3...we can't get a rental agreement until we are in Australia (we are actually going to be staying with friends for a while when we arrive), ..

4... we're not selling our house but are renting it out to my sister without using a rental agent ,...

5...we're not renting a property in the uk so cant cancel a rental agreement

I really want to take my van.....so how can I get around these problems .....any one help......

Cheers

Carlos

Thank you for all the info on importing cars to Oz. We hope to go in about 18 mts and intend to bring 2 cars. Can't believe there's so much paperwork involved. What about valeting, what documentation do you need for that. Looking at Border Control I should imagine if there's a spec of dust on it your in deep do do!

Good job we are starting this process in good time. Help!!!!!!!!

MKF

Hi all

S

Hi,

We are going over on Parent Sponsored Visa and intend bringing out 2 cars. A Merc and an XTrail. Am shocked at the amt of paperwork involved. Am thinking now is it worth it.

Not moving for about 18 months, waiting to lodge our visa as we don't meet the criteria yet. I think we'll start now to get the ball rolling with the cars.

The thing is WHERE DO YOU START?????????

MKF

^^They do show a bit of leniency with registration when it's husband/wife situations like this.

When should I apply for import approval? As soon as you've met the criteria for importing, or as soon as you have your visa. DON'T make the mistake of waiting until you're about to come over to Australia! Our government has a long history of making running changes to legislation without letting anyone know.

On the DIT website you'll see something written about 17 working day turnaround times - this is rubbish, expect up to 5 or 6 weeks. The section that processes applications is terminally (and in my opinion deliberately) understaffed, and you see that the 17 day processing time doesn't include peak periods, and they always manage to find a reason for slower processing (at the moment, it's the strong AUD v USD making everyone buy US cars...)

Thanks a lot for the info, Iron Chef. I am particularly interested in applying early. While DIT says one could apply before leaving, it doesn't specify how long before the date of arrival in Oz is allowed. Could I apply one year in advance (just after the car purchase) if I can get the 100 points worth of documents to prove intention to move?

Also, they ask for the date of arriving in Australia. Would I have a problem if the actual date of arrival is different by a few days?

Hi Iron Chief

We too are in a dilema whether to import our car. Its a 2003 Porsche 911 Turbo with 45k miles. We paid 34k for it 6 months ago but we are not likely to hit aussie shores for another 12 months. Is it worth paying all the import tax (as we don't seem to be able to get a rough estimate of how much tax it will cost once landed) or should we think about selling it in the UK? Any thoughts??

Thanks

John

PS I like the GTR 34 track car you have on your site & could be tempted with similar if you can find one when we land :-)

Hi, I think its definitely worth it (provided its right hand drive!).

I was looking for a 2003 996, but couldn't find a RH here in Japan.

Please check the customs site for tax details:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4371.asp

You's have topay roughly 15.5% on the CIF value.

However, if the after tax value > AUD57,466 at the exchange rate when you are importing, a luxury car tax of 33% would be payabale on the amount exceeding 57k.

SUMMARY

Australian Dollar to UK Pound 0.6493

UK Value of Car £12,500

AUS Street Value $29,000

AUS Customs Valuation of Car @65% $18,850

I wonder what kind of valuation method was used here.

Was the UK invoice not available..? and where did 65% spring out from?

Any ideas anyone?

Hi Iron Chef,

Great thread and I learnt a lot from it. 'figured I'd ask your opinion as you seem to have experience importing from JP as well.

I have owned a Z4 for a year now and recently purchased a Merc E500 and registered in wife's name, both in Japan. We plan to move as soon as the Merc's done its one year, and are planning to import both vehicles. The Z4 should be fine, but there are a few complications with the Merc.

1. My wife is going to be out of Japan for ~3months when she is to deliver at home in Thailand this winter. I believed this was acceptable as long as her residency was deemed to be in Japan. However, I saw your comment somewhere in the thread to the effect that absences have to be compensated with time from previous year. The DIT explanations do not necessarily suggest so. Are you sure about this?

2. My wife drives with an international drivers license in Japan, which would cease to be valid if she were not to go to Thailand. However, if she were to stay outside Japan for 3 months, she could use a new intl license for another year upon return, under Japanese law. Thus, technically she would be able to drive while she is in Japan. Would DIT understand this?

3. We prefer to move as early as possible in May2012 due to other involvements. Disregarding #1, would the Merc be eligible for import if we deregister exactly one year from the date it was bought, but 11 days short of the registration date? (After all, the condition is 1year ownership)

However, it wasn't registered to anyone at the time of purchase, meaning it wasn't "roadworthy" at the time, even thought this is not obvious from the reg. docs.

4. Last, but not least, what's your take on these two cars' market in Aussie?

I've done my homework, and given that I bought them dirt cheap, I plan to make some profit. Frankly, the price difference is too good to be true, so it would be really nice to know if there are any unforeseen glitches in importing German cars from Japan...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi Carlos we're in the same boat my hubby self employed, we're renting our house out here, gonna be staying in a holiday let for 4-6 weeks until we can get a long term rental!! I'm not sure how to go about it?? I did'nt even know there was a point system in place!!!!

Guest Fergal76

Has anyone managed to import a car on a 457 Visa when they have not owned it for a full 12 months BEFORE they moved to OZ?

Fergal