Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

Guest Cat and James Rix
IVe got the same Dilemma two custom bikes that I love dearly. I think you have to have the motorcycle license and have had the bike in your name for the 12 months prior to emigrating, to be able to take it. I think theres even an issue with bike trailers, so im goingto have to sell that too :arghh:.

I will cry when I sell one.

If there's two of you migrating, you should both be able to take a bike each. My issue is that we WILL have had the bike in his name for more than a year, but because we are riding the KTM to Oz for a year, he won't be using the fireblade while it's in storage, so they might say that he cant import it because he's not been using it!

IVe got the same Dilemma two custom bikes that I love dearly. I think you have to have the motorcycle license and have had the bike in your name for the 12 months prior to emigrating, to be able to take it. I think theres even an issue with bike trailers, so im goingto have to sell that too :arghh:.

I will cry when I sell one.

Well it depends on the age and make/model of the bikes in question, but yes you have to be able to prove that you owned AND used it. Owning the bike, on its own, doesn't make it eligible for a personal import.

If there's two of you migrating, you should both be able to take a bike each. My issue is that we WILL have had the bike in his name for more than a year, but because we are riding the KTM to Oz for a year, he won't be using the fireblade while it's in storage, so they might say that he cant import it because he's not been using it!

There's no might about it unfortunately - they're pretty hard and fast on that one, and it's a bit hard to say you've been using a bike if it's in the UK and you're overseas ;)

Enlighten me ironchef. I have a 2003 kawaksaki meanstreak, and a 2008 yamaha raider. Ive owned both since new. I will be on a 163 visa, which might make a difference, make my day and tell me I can take both.

We are not taking any cars, but my wife doesnt have a motorcycle license.

Guest Cat and James Rix

Iron Chef, is there a way to just import the bike without the personal scheme, like if you buy a bike from overseas? and just pay all the fees and charges, duty and gst?

Ok just did a quick bit of digging - Cat this is a real long shot, but these guys comply CBR1000RR under the SEVS scheme. There may be restrictions on year models though, so don't get excited until they give you the green light.

Participant Details:

PIN 10142 Company Name RECYCLED MOTORCYCLES PTY LTD ABN 97 075 554 193 Trading Name INTERNATIONAL MOTORCYCLES Address 9/1488 FERNTREE GULLY RD.

KNOXFIELD VIC 3140

AUSTRALIA

Company Representative Details:

Contact Name Mr Danny Law Phone 03 9753 3855 Fax 03 9753 3866

Hmmm it's probably still worth investigating - shoot me an email if you want me to do some work on it.

In other more exciting news for bike owners, I've managed to track down a company that will do RO-RO for bikes but charged per cubic metre rather than a set fee - drops the cost by about $800US which is pretty significant :)

Iron Chef.

Don't know if you can help...I have a 2006 Skoda Fabia VRS (1.9TDi) with low mileage. Not an expensive car new but the 2nd hand price in the UK has held up significantly so i could expect to get £6k for it here.

Because it's been surprisingly good.......I'm torn between selling it in the UK or importing it to Canberra where they have a Skoda dealership, though only seem to support Octavias and Superbs.....and the new petrol Fabias.

Any advice?

Does anyone know if we take our vauxhall to Perth and decide to come back will we get stung on any taxes again?

I'm no expert on this, which is why I haven't replied, but you can almost guarantee the answer is yes, you will need to pay taxes. Best to sell it off before you leave Oz. If you want to take it back, bring it over on a carnet, then you won't have tax bills at either end.

Iron Chef.

Don't know if you can help...I have a 2006 Skoda Fabia VRS (1.9TDi) with low mileage. Not an expensive car new but the 2nd hand price in the UK has held up significantly so i could expect to get £6k for it here.

Because it's been surprisingly good.......I'm torn between selling it in the UK or importing it to Canberra where they have a Skoda dealership, though only seem to support Octavias and Superbs.....and the new petrol Fabias.

Any advice?

I'd suggest bringing it over if you like it - the 1.9TDi was available in the Golf, so there won't be any parts issues when you take it to get serviced.

Hi Nicola,

Like ships passing in the night :) You should have your reply now. I was one of those kids that my teachers described as 'easily distracted' haha

PS cool username, I spent quite a long time explaining the concept of yummy mummy to my colleagues in Japan, and eventually just said 'oishii mama' and they suddenly all understood!!

Hi Iron Chef,

Have done a bit of research, and found a few Audi/BMW/Bentley/Porsche models where the UK price is a third to half the red book dealer trade-in price.

How much less is a personal import worth than an official Aus car, how much harder are they to sell, and what are the compliance costs typically like for luxury cars? What has to be done?

Is it true there are horror stories getting the compliance plate for expensive cars as they know they have you over a barrel once the car arrives?

Thanks again...

Av8r

Guest mayonayes

Hi Iron chef,

Just looking to pick your brains. Currently have a BMW 520D on an 07 plate, realise we would be charged alot tax wise if we brought it over so was going to sell it privately. Need a bigger car really in oz with 7 seats but exchanging the money from the BMW when we sell it will amount to enough for a 2004 Kia Carnival in dollars over there. Husband is gutted having to let his car go and is not keen on driving a Kia. We are not moving untill next year so thought about trading our car in this month and have been looking at a 2008 2L automatic Renault Grand Scenic. I know we have to keep it for a year before we can ship it over but seems a better option as we seem to be saving quite abit on the price of them over there and we wont have the expensive of buying a car once we arrive.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks Laura

Guest matthew from Essex

Hi All,

Just got my Skilled visa(176).I own a company here in the UK and will be closing it down before moving there. I have a Ford Transit van that is under 2 years old and thinking of shipping it over there under personal import as I am not going there under business visa. I thought it will be useful for me when I work for somebody if I have a my own transport already. Is it worth doing it?

Hi Iron Chef,

Have done a bit of research, and found a few Audi/BMW/Bentley/Porsche models where the UK price is a third to half the red book dealer trade-in price.

How much less is a personal import worth than an official Aus car, how much harder are they to sell, and what are the compliance costs typically like for luxury cars? What has to be done?

Is it true there are horror stories getting the compliance plate for expensive cars as they know they have you over a barrel once the car arrives?

Thanks again...

Av8r

Hi there,

Traditionally, the European stuff has been where the best investments were, but the resale values have softened a bit lately in the top end here. Having said that, very few people have troubles selling Porsches etc for the same money as their equivalent locally-sold model because the buyers looking for European cars don't normally expect that they're dealing with a personal import. Take that how you will...

It's worth pointing out that, as it currently stands, the requirements for registration for personally imported cars vary from state to state, so if you sell your personally import car later on to someone interstate, they will have to go through the modifications again to meet the requirements of the state they're in (same as you will when you bring the car in to Australia for the first time). It's a right pain in the butt!

Hi Iron chef,

Just looking to pick your brains. Currently have a BMW 520D on an 07 plate, realise we would be charged alot tax wise if we brought it over so was going to sell it privately. Need a bigger car really in oz with 7 seats but exchanging the money from the BMW when we sell it will amount to enough for a 2004 Kia Carnival in dollars over there. Husband is gutted having to let his car go and is not keen on driving a Kia. We are not moving untill next year so thought about trading our car in this month and have been looking at a 2008 2L automatic Renault Grand Scenic. I know we have to keep it for a year before we can ship it over but seems a better option as we seem to be saving quite abit on the price of them over there and we wont have the expensive of buying a car once we arrive.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks Laura

Hi Laura,

If there is any possible way of keeping the BMW until you come to Australia (i.e. you're not having child no. 4!) then do it, and bring the Beemer over. Trust me, with the money you make from it, you'll be able to get a much nicer car than a Kia. Sorry, I'm with your husband on this one - I couldn't stomach going from the BMW to a Kia! My main job is importing cars ex-Japan, and even though they'd be slightly older, a Nissan Elgrand or a late model Mitsubishi Delica would be a much better choice, in fact there are a whole lot of cars that would be a better choice!

Hi All,

Just got my Skilled visa(176).I own a company here in the UK and will be closing it down before moving there. I have a Ford Transit van that is under 2 years old and thinking of shipping it over there under personal import as I am not going there under business visa. I thought it will be useful for me when I work for somebody if I have a my own transport already. Is it worth doing it?

Probably best to compare prices before you do it just to see if it stacks up, but if you have tools and equipment you want to bring with the van, then it may be worth looking into. Being fairly young, I'm guessing you'd get walloped on depreciation if you were to sell the van in the UK, so also think about the tax implications/benefits over there too.

ha ha no problem. lol. i have had a word with my other half and he wishes to definitely take over the subaru. we are going to get prices for taking the car over in a container with our belongings but if it works out cheaper to take it over to oz on a ro ro basis, we will do that instead. my other half says he wishes you to do all the paperwork for us.

therefore not sure what i need to do first. am going to download all the application forms for importing the car. am sure u will guide me all the way. cheers nicola