Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

For those of you who missed the announcement - I'll be online to answer your questions during the next Live Chat session - 04th July 2011 from 8pm-10pm (UK Time).

(4.30-6.30am my time, so if I'm a bit sluggish replying, you'll understand why!)

Hi - quick update and an appeal for recommendations!

So thanks to IronChef's advice here I finally managed to get my 330i over to Sydney, in great condition although it took a while and some cost (probably ended up around $11k!). Would highly recommend using Cargo Online and Karman Shipping if anyone is thinking of it. I had a couple of great drives up to the Blue Mountains and Central Coast as well.

Now for the bad news....having parked it in my garage for no more than 2 weeks, the heavy rainfall caused a leak in the garage ceiling, which deposited lime residue onto my bonnet!:mad: Not only that I was in Melbourne that week so by the time I got back it had already hardened into an ugly lump. Got an expert to look at it and the only solution is a full respray. Incidentally the same problem happened to our Kluger but we never noticed until now as it was on the roof.

Good news is the landlord has agreed to pay for both to be resprayed so now I'm looking for recommendations of reputable guys who can do a goood job of it, ideally based in the Lower North Shore. I need to get quotes this weekend so anyone who knows some good ones please let me know.

Cheers

Speak to Todd at Japlink (02 9716 0857) and he should be able to recommend someone you can use. Tell him Kristian from Iron Chef Imports sent you.

Was it insured? You may well find you're covered for the repairs, either under your car insurance or your home and contents insurance.

Thanks again IronChef. Yes it is insured but I don't want I'd have an $800 excess to pay and also it would show as a claim against me. Or can I get the landlord to deal direct with the insurance company?

Hi Iron Chef, what an invaluable help you are! Read through the posts and come to the conclusion that the family car, a 2006 Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 Turbo Diesel with 37,000 miles and worth approx £5000 over here, might not be worth bringing as per previous posts, but I also have a Volvo C70 Convertible 2002 2.0 litre model with approcx 70,000 miles. It's been without MOT and insurance since March and SORN, sitting on my drive. Values to sell over here are approx £3,900 and more of a sentimental reason for import rather than commercial. - would you recommend bringing it over?

Thanks

Martin

Hey Iron Chef,

Fantastic advice dude. I've trawled through 9 pages of info on here and learned a great deal, thank you, but nothing quite matches my situation.

My wife has been in Perth for 4 weeks on a 457 visa and I'm going to join her in 3 weeks. We have a 1980 registered VW Type 2 Bay window camper that has been part of our family for 5 years and we're reluctant to leave it.

It has a Devon Moonraker conversion which I've never seen available in Oz and we'd want to ship to keep it, not to make money.

We haven't even looked at costs yet but I' estimate its value in the UK to be whatever we can get for it. Current prices seem to be between £5k and £25k! (There are a lot of chancers out there!)

I realise I probably won't be able to get the paperwork sorted before I go but I just want a rough estimate of costs, door to door.

Being a classic there's some superficial rust and I've heard horror stories involving excited customs types and hammers that make me nervous.

I'd also intent on claiming LAFHA if I get a job when I arrive and you mentioned previously that may have some affect on our ability to import it.

The bus is in my name and holds a UK MOT cert but is currently garaged pending a resolution (either shipping or selling).

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Megan123

Hi All,

Iron Chef - First and foremost thank you for this thread, we have been going around in circles trying to get answers to many of the questions you have answered here already.

We've looked at the prices of cars in Australia but our model doesn't seem to have any comparables so wondered if you could give us an idea of whether you would ship the following car if you were in our shoes.

Merc E220 Avantguarde 2.2L, 2003, 125k miles. Current selling prices over here are around 5k to 5.5k this equates to around 7.5k to 8k Australian dollars.

We would really appreciate it if you could give a break down of real costs to transport it to Perth? What's confusing is the 10% of value here and the 5% of value in Oz plus shipping, plus double tax etc? Sorry you can tell I'm blond and from Essex..hehe

I also read in this thread that there is some stigma attached to purchasing a car with British plates. If we did decided to return to the UK in a few years would we struggle to sell it due to the britsh plates??

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Megan:confused:

Excellent post mate, but just one other thing:embarrassed: (yes I know!) I keep hearing rumours about having the speedo changed and the wing mirrors and so on - are you able to throw any light on these or even point us in the direction of the regulations - have tried the 'Australian Design Rules' site but that's just more legislation without detail.

Hi All,

Iron Chef - First and foremost thank you for this thread, we have been going around in circles trying to get answers to many of the questions you have answered here already.

We've looked at the prices of cars in Australia but our model doesn't seem to have any comparables so wondered if you could give us an idea of whether you would ship the following car if you were in our shoes.

Merc E220 Avantguarde 2.2L, 2003, 125k miles. Current selling prices over here are around 5k to 5.5k this equates to around 7.5k to 8k Australian dollars.

We would really appreciate it if you could give a break down of real costs to transport it to Perth? What's confusing is the 10% of value here and the 5% of value in Oz plus shipping, plus double tax etc? Sorry you can tell I'm blond and from Essex..hehe

I also read in this thread that there is some stigma attached to purchasing a car with British plates. If we did decided to return to the UK in a few years would we struggle to sell it due to the britsh plates??

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Megan:confused:

Don't worry Megan, everyone starts off as a novice at some stage :)

In terms of prices, you'd probably be looking at getting around $20K Aussie for it over here, give or take, so you'd be looking at making a little money if you sold it straight away, or getting your money back if you used it here for a while. In your situation, I'd probably do it.

For quotes, feel free to email me for more info - kristian @ ironchefimports.com

And you will pay 5% stamp duty on the customs value of the car plus shipping costs, then 10% GST on the car cost, shipping and stamp duty (a tax on a tax!).

Excellent post mate, but just one other thing:embarrassed: (yes I know!) I keep hearing rumours about having the speedo changed and the wing mirrors and so on - are you able to throw any light on these or even point us in the direction of the regulations - have tried the 'Australian Design Rules' site but that's just more legislation without detail.

Requirements for registration fall under the jurisdiction of state governments, so they naturally vary from state to state. They are all fairly similar though - your speedo MUST be in km/h, so yes that will need to be changed over if your speedo only reads in mph (unless built prior to about 1970...). It's usually not an overly difficult task, although if you happen to bring in a car that has its speedo in mph only AND is a model not available in Australia, I'd advise finding a new gauge cluster before you leave.

Rear vision mirrors need to have flat glass, but that's very easy to replace - any glass place can cut you a replacement mirror quickly and cheaply.

Rear vision mirrors need to have flat glass, but that's very easy to replace - any glass place can cut you a replacement mirror quickly and cheaply.

My van wing mirrors have both..........a large flat mirror which is perhaps 75% the size of the wing mirror and the smaller mirror at the bottom is a convex mirror..............would this smaller mirror need replacing ??????????????.

Hi, we are new to poms in oz and have been looking through this fab thread, we are looking to move around may 2012, and are in process of sorting out 176 visa.

My OH has a BMW 330d (2003) and wants to look into taking it with us. Have looked at info and it seems a little confusing, not sure if it is worth bringing a car this old with us.....????? could you give us any advice. He has owned the car since 2009 and we have purchase documents.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

My van wing mirrors have both..........a large flat mirror which is perhaps 75% the size of the wing mirror and the smaller mirror at the bottom is a convex mirror..............would this smaller mirror need replacing ??????????????.

As long as there's a flat mirror there, there's no need to remove the convex one - I think you'll find the mirror requirements only apply to passenger cars, there would be separate regulations for commercial vehicles.

Hi, we are new to poms in oz and have been looking through this fab thread, we are looking to move around may 2012, and are in process of sorting out 176 visa.

My OH has a BMW 330d (2003) and wants to look into taking it with us. Have looked at info and it seems a little confusing, not sure if it is worth bringing a car this old with us.....????? could you give us any advice. He has owned the car since 2009 and we have purchase documents.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure what it's worth in the UK but at a rough guess, I'd say it would be worth bringing if you like the car and want to keep using it over here, but if you're just bringing it over to sell and make money, it's a borderline proposition.

Anybody know what 'letter of compliance' is? Where to get etc? Do I need it for a motorbike that I already got approval for. Just saw it listed on things needed for customs and hadn't seen it before. HELP! Didn't know about this and container coming next week !

Grainne

You won't need that for clearance through Customs, just the import approval, shipping documents and an invoice from when you bought it originally.

The letter of compliance is for a different importing scheme, not for personal imports.

Thanks ironchef for getting back so quick I was in a sweat there! And thanks again for all your info, such a brilliant thread!

Grainne

Guest Megan123

Many thanks for the information Iron chef, much appreciated.

After reading your comments it makes sense to give it a go and take the car with us. I've just downloaded the 'Application for a personally imported vehicle' and they're asking for information that we don't yet have i.e -

OH employment details - Not possible, he will start own business?

Ship of your household goods receipt - Not Possible, We are selling up and traveling light.

Resignation letter - Not possible as OH Self employed

Your residential details in Oz - we haven't got them yet, as we're staying with family first whilst looking for a rental?

So I'm feeling a bit lost as to what we should send in? We have only just sent in the forms for my OH spouse visa, so it's still very early days, might have to wait another 4/5/6 months to get the visa granted. But it would be nice to know the car can come with us.

Anyway I'm thinking out load so better get on and work out a plan!

Thanks again for your help.

Megan

Hiya

Although we have submitted our application for the 176 visa I may have an opportunity to come over to Perth in Oct on a 456 visa which is a lot sooner than we intended but a great opportunity all the same.

With all the hassle of importing my Porsche I decided to sell it last month and bought a spanking new Yamaha XT1200z Tenere.

Now the obvious question is although I have only owned the bike a month tomorrow can I bring it over on a Carnet for 12 months and if my perm visa is granted in this time pay the duty to have it as an official import.

Not going to sell here as only has 4miles on the clock at present and a stack of parts on route for it too.