What are the living costs of a 4 bed house. inc council tax, water, gas, elec etc

minnie659

Hi,

We are wanting to emigrate to Australia preferably Perth. However, we want to ask if we are not being too rude, what monthly expenses are we looking at. We spend average £80-90 on a family of 5 for food, 40 on gas and elec each in the summer roughly. Council tax £110.00. We want to have enough for 3 months to allow time for my husband to find a job.

How much is fuel? I have heard it is cheaper.

Hi

unleaded is around $1.15 / litre which on current exchange rates, makes it around 71pence / litre.

We're a family of 5, but can't really help on the other budget questions as we're in Melbourne, so different costs due to climate and different utility companies. Hopefully, some members in Perth will be able to give you a rough idea of costs.

£80-£90 a month on food for a family of 5!!!!

Surely that would be per week if you mean a supermarket shop plus nipping and popping.

If not and you eat out a lot then don't forget that cost.

Also setting up costs are higher - rent in advance, car, school fees + uniforms etc, etc, So you spend more in the first few months.

Sorry can't help with costs for WA.

You can have a go at a supermarket shop in a few Ozzy stores on line though.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi i hope this helps you from a previous thread.

Originally Posted by calNgary viewpost.gif

If your post i replied to originally is referring to just this one post , on looking back through threads he isnt actually far off with HIS costs compared to MY costs. Definitely can't be said he is misleading people.

This is what i copied from a thread a week or to ago where he lists his costs and i added mine,(mine are in red) look at his electric costs and you will see what i mean, not too mention the rates and water bill.

Rates/ £1450 per year/ $3300 is it the same kev? approx $1600

Gas/electric/ £1600 per year/ $3500 - how much do you pay kev?approx $1900

Petrol/ £1.18/ $2.50 how much kev? diesel - $1.20

car insurance/ £500/ $1100 kev? incl Rego & fully comp approx $1300

water rates/ £400/ $850 kev? $416

Cal x

Hi everyone

the figures on the far left above are from me, the ropey hoff, the figures in the middle are based on the wages in Australia being paid at $2.2 to £1, which is close to what they are.

We have a large 4 bedroomed detached house her in the uk and our figures are on the far left and Cal has posted her figures in RED.

From what i can recall from the wanted down under programme with Cal and her family on it, they have a very big detached house with a fabulous swimming pool.

Our figures belong to us two and others might have different figures to ours, living in different parts of each country and having different sized houses.

We have posted these figures to try and help people who are thinking about emigrating and they are rough figures, but they show a marked difference in costs and even if they are not the norm, they are definately a clear indication that certain BIG outgoings are cheaper in Australia, but.......................... i will repeat, my gut feeling is that things overall are slightly dearer in Australia, but nothing to get anyone in a panic.

Make sure you get a wage comparible to $2.2 times £1 you are earning in the uk and you should roughly have the same standard of living.

£80-£90 a month on food for a family of 5!!!!

Surely that would be per week if you mean a supermarket shop plus nipping and popping.

If not and you eat out a lot then don't forget that cost.

Also setting up costs are higher - rent in advance, car, school fees + uniforms etc, etc, So you spend more in the first few months.

Sorry can't help with costs for WA.

You can have a go at a supermarket shop in a few Ozzy stores on line though.

I was meant to put per month sorry.

Do we pay school fees? Wasnt sure if they were on the 457 on state school or do you recomend private school?

Hi i hope this helps you from a previous thread.

Originally Posted by calNgary viewpost.gif

If your post i replied to originally is referring to just this one post , on looking back through threads he isnt actually far off with HIS costs compared to MY costs. Definitely can't be said he is misleading people.

This is what i copied from a thread a week or to ago where he lists his costs and i added mine,(mine are in red) look at his electric costs and you will see what i mean, not too mention the rates and water bill.

Rates/ £1450 per year/ $3300 is it the same kev? approx $1600

Gas/electric/ £1600 per year/ $3500 - how much do you pay kev?approx $1900

Petrol/ £1.18/ $2.50 how much kev? diesel - $1.20

car insurance/ £500/ $1100 kev? incl Rego & fully comp approx $1300

water rates/ £400/ $850 kev? $416

Cal x

Hi everyone

the figures on the far left above are from me, the ropey hoff, the figures in the middle are based on the wages in Australia being paid at $2.2 to £1, which is close to what they are.

We have a large 4 bedroomed detached house her in the uk and our figures are on the far left and Cal has posted her figures in RED.

From what i can recall from the wanted down under programme with Cal and her family on it, they have a very big detached house with a fabulous swimming pool.

Our figures belong to us two and others might have different figures to ours, living in different parts of each country and having different sized houses.

We have posted these figures to try and help people who are thinking about emigrating and they are rough figures, but they show a marked difference in costs and even if they are not the norm, they are definately a clear indication that certain BIG outgoings are cheaper in Australia, but.......................... i will repeat, my gut feeling is that things overall are slightly dearer in Australia, but nothing to get anyone in a panic.

Make sure you get a wage comparible to $2.2 times £1 you are earning in the uk and you should roughly have the same standard of living.

Hi,

Thank you ever so much that has really helped.

I was meant to put per month sorry.

Do we pay school fees? Wasnt sure if they were on the 457 on state school or do you recomend private school?

Not sure about school fees in WA I know they don't in SA but it does differ. Even in state school there is a bit to pay (maybe $150 a year) and often books and equipment (not used to this in UK). Also uniforms are expensive. All adds to the upfront costs.

Private schools are more common and cheaper than UK it may depend on the area you are in or if you want a religious school (these are usually private).

Also if the kids are into sports there is equipment and club fees to pay.

It evens itself out but you will find money running through your fingers to start with because of large one-off costs.

Hi

No, you wouldn't pay state school fees on a 457 Visa in WA

(In WA Payment of tuition fees apply to dependants of the following visa holders)

• 425 family relationship
  • 456 business short stay
  • 459 sponsored business visitor
  • 675 medical treatment (short stay)
  • 676 tourist (short stay)
  • 679 sponsored family visitor (short stay)
  • 685 medical treatment (long stay)
  • 686 tourist (long stay)
  • 956/976/977 electronic travel authority (visitor and business); and Bridging visa *

Guest gail6336

have a look at aussie move.com they have a page of how much living costs are! I found it useful as they have listed all costs hope it helps you too!!

Thanks for clarifying. Just to say this does not apply to tertiary and higher education where overseas student fees will apply. So I guess it does depend how old the kids are!

Unfortunately ours will need uni places - hoping to persuade them to take a year out so will be less time on temp visa as uni fees are eyewatering for overseas students but once PR is granted they will only pay home student fees.

Hi

unleaded is around $1.15 / litre which on current exchange rates, makes it around 71pence / litre.

We're a family of 5, but can't really help on the other budget questions as we're in Melbourne, so different costs due to climate and different utility companies. Hopefully, some members in Perth will be able to give you a rough idea of costs.

Hi Cerberus, could you please give a little light on Melbourne's living costs, as we are going there on December.

Hi,

We are wanting to emigrate to Australia preferably Perth. However, we want to ask if we are not being too rude, what monthly expenses are we looking at. We spend average £80-90 on a family of 5 for food, 40 on gas and elec each in the summer roughly. Council tax £110.00. We want to have enough for 3 months to allow time for my husband to find a job.

How much is fuel? I have heard it is cheaper.

Hi for your shopping at the supermarket for a family of 5 I would say $250-to 300 dollars per week, rent aout $370+ week depending on size of house ie 3 beds or 4, gas and electirc and water, insurance budget about $100 per week, petrol can be any thing from 1.15 perlitre rising to 1.30 goes up and down, you tend to use more here things a bit further apart, telephone and internet mine is $149.00 month telephone and internet, offer diff packages, if you want foxtel diff packages again mine is approx $85.00 per month, not sure what your schooling costs will be best to maybe check on schools in the area you are coming thinking off, most uniforms for school they have a shop where you go to buy them, also ask at the school a rough idea for costs of yearly books. Hope this helps these are rough estimates but to give you an idea of the basic costs.

Archived