Australian Electoral Impasse Broken - Now for the SMPs

George Lombard

I'm trying to remember what my agent said earlier as he did comment on this. He said it doesn't need the bill to be passed as it's already be done. I'm sure it was something along those lines!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

My son's partner is also awaiting announcement of the SMPs. This possible further delay is really disappointing. Very frustrating as she was in the process of getting her skills assessment when the states stopped taking applications. Incidentally this was delayed by a cock-up at their end, someone left and failed to pass on her file!. Consequently she was too late to apply for the SS before the door shut.

This skills assessment has a limited validity and now with further delays - and I imagine the time taken to actually get the sponsorship due to the vast number of people who intend to apply now that this is their only choice - it is likely that the validity will run out. So what happens then? Presumably applying for another skills assessment at more expense! It is disgraceful that people begin the application process at their own expense in all good faith, only to be left high and dry.

Know exactly how your feeling your timeline and prediciment are almost parelell with ours.

Its diss heartening, frustrating, and down right unfair.

Also wondering if all the hurt and heartache will be worth enduring. Do they want our skills or dont they ? T

We are considering a timeline albeit a timeline regarding backing out of this nightmare !

I think the states have every right to breath down immi's necks!!!

They have had a small handful of skilled applicant visa grants since sept 23rd 2009! Almost 1 year.

The other issue for me is that the process had already been agreed and the plans just needed signing off so why would this now need parliament to agree? the greens can only stop/impact on new legislation surely .

I hate to disappoint you.

We had an election in 1993 when a guy called Paul Keating (later PM) announced tax cuts which would be enacted into law. Then after the ALP won the election he promptly cancelled them.

Put not your faith in politicians.

There is also the little concept of parliamentary sovereignty.

Guest Nanoworld

Hi All,

A different question regarding SMP... I got approval from Vetassess as a Life scientist but its not on the new SOL..so does anyone which state would probably sponsor more Life scientists or scientists.. I am kind of loosing all hope for residency..please help..

Guest chevalfou101

just called western australian state migration center and they expect the SMP's in about 3 weeks. Just hope and pray that our skills are on the list because if they aren't not only will we be moved to category 4, but the slots will be limited and applications will be capped. No guarantees, i guess. I've applied as a cook so I am pretty nervous as they have removed my skill from the SOL3. The only consolation is it is a top priority in the critical skills list for western Australia.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with WA. I hate to spoil this but it's with the pollies now to sign off as and when they want to. The states have no power on this,they don't hold the key.

just called western australian state migration center and they expect the SMP's in about 3 weeks. Just hope and pray that our skills are on the list because if they aren't not only will we be moved to category 4, but the slots will be limited and applications will be capped. No guarantees, i guess. I've applied as a cook so I am pretty nervous as they have removed my skill from the SOL3. The only consolation is it is a top priority in the critical skills list for western Australia.

Hi Chevalfou,

I know for a fact that Cook, which is my fiance's occupation is on the draft SMP list. I have asked a lot of questions and have been told that WA has done all the research on why Cook should be on the SMP as they were told to do. Its still in the balance though until it gets finally signed off, but most of the people I have spoken to ( Agents, WA staff and Others ) say there is no reason why it shouldn't be on.

Cheers,

John:hug:

Hi All,

A different question regarding SMP... I got approval from Vetassess as a Life scientist but its not on the new SOL..so does anyone which state would probably sponsor more Life scientists or scientists.. I am kind of loosing all hope for residency..please help..

Victoria had Life Scientists on their previous lists. We also had one international student approved 886 on the basis of that occupation. The student had high 8s in IELTS.

VIC could have them again in SMPs. Good luck!

Guest chevalfou101

Thanks John :smile:. Your information has really calmed me down. Was thinking about going through the ENS route already but I am currently on a 457 visa and I'm quite unhappy with the situation. Unfortunately, employers seem to take advantage of the fact that you are stuck with them.

Guest Nanoworld
Victoria had Life Scientists on their previous lists. We also had one international student approved 886 on the basis of that occupation. The student had high 8s in IELTS.

VIC could have them again in SMPs. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply...This is quite annoying that you come to australia to study life-sciences and now they do not want anymore life scientists...it is so much demoralising ..i called up victoria state sponsorship office..but they could not comment on anything..All they ask is to wait.......

Does anyone have any news or article that states victoria might need life scientists in the future.........

Guest arun123

I am also waiting eagerly for WA SMP to have Cook on the the list in Top priority. As chevalfou101 has given us information that WA SMP will be out in three weeks. Cook occupation was included in WA Occupation in demand list before they have stopped sponsorship. So we are hoping to have it in Priority list.

NOV 2008 TRA APPROVED, JAN 2009 APPLIED ONLINE OFFSHORE 175 VISA, WA SPONSORSHIP APPROVED NOV 2009 TO CONVERT IN TO 176 VISA, WAITING FOR CO ALLOCATION AND WA SMP

reading this thread is all too depressing. Gill, perhaps we should change this forum name to 'migration speculation, guess work and possibilities'. don't get me wrong it helps to hear the 'word on the street' but perhaps we shouldn't all get so doomy and gloomy so quickly when none of this is set in stone.

the Government has only just been announced, less than 48 hours ago and we are already speculating that this will drag things out for another 6 months.

how about we all just wait a little while longer before throwing in the towel. i know its a complete pain having to wait but don't give up hope just yet!!

c'mon guys lets give them a chance to get their arses back into parliment and hope the SMPs are just around the corner.

Jo

Some discussion in the press today about the next Gillard Cabinet. Sounds very much as though Evans will be reincarnated to a lower plane of existence but no mention yet of the new Minister. See Return of the Rudd as Labor licks wounds | News.com.au .

I'm sure that the introduction of SMPs will need the approval of the new Minister. Personally I would be hoping for Tony Burke who was a spectacularly able Shadow Minister leading up to the 2007 election.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest tabatha
I am also waiting eagerly for WA SMP to have Cook on the the list in Top priority. As chevalfou101 has given us information that WA SMP will be out in three weeks. Cook occupation was included in WA Occupation in demand list before they have stopped sponsorship. So we are hoping to have it in Priority list.

NOV 2008 TRA APPROVED, JAN 2009 APPLIED ONLINE OFFSHORE 175 VISA, WA SPONSORSHIP APPROVED NOV 2009 TO CONVERT IN TO 176 VISA, WAITING FOR CO ALLOCATION AND WA SMP

I received SS for WA as a cook, 6 weeks ago.. So my line of thinking is...Why award SS for a cook, if they aren't on there smp.. Positive thinking maby.....:swoon:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

I found this a bit earlier:

Immigration

Does anyone want this job? Anybody, anybody? No didn’t think so. Labor leader in the Senate Chris Evans is almost certainly not going to do this job anymore. The party has a perception he stuffed it up and he has perception that they can go get stuffed. Given the Gillard Government’s current asylum seeker policy is literally somewhere between Christmas Island and East Timor and the Coalition has been crucifying them on the issue, it’s hard to see anyone running towards this thing. Short of putting Garrett up for the sake of some kind of final suicide mission, why not go with West Australian Gary Grey? He’s been a trooper in the first Government and like Evans is a West Australian, who could shore up support by meeting the boats on the high seas like Lord Nelson (that sounds stupid now but wait till it happens). The other option is the aforementioned Shorten, who would have the added bonus of not making Jose Ramos Horte feel short during negotiations with East Timor.

Tip: I dunno, what about the next person that says “mango” in the party room.

It is taken from a larger article. Please see the link below:

Gillard’s big cabinet headaches | Article | The Punch

Cheers

Gill

Some discussion in the press today about the next Gillard Cabinet. Sounds very much as though Evans will be reincarnated to a lower plane of existence but no mention yet of the new Minister. See Return of the Rudd as Labor licks wounds | News.com.au .

I'm sure that the introduction of SMPs will need the approval of the new Minister. Personally I would be hoping for Tony Burke who was a spectacularly able Shadow Minister leading up to the 2007 election.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George

Do you think Tony Burke would be more sympathetic to those people that had lodged prior to all the changes ?

thanks

Shane

On ACT site saying the following:

2010/2011 ACT State Migration Plan (SMP) Skills List.

It is expected that the 2010/2011 SMP Skills List will be published in October 2010 when the ACT State Migration Plan is announced.

They did say it was going to be September and now saying October. I don't know when this was updated though.

Claire

Hi Chevalfou,

I know for a fact that Cook, which is my fiance's occupation is on the draft SMP list. I have asked a lot of questions and have been told that WA has done all the research on why Cook should be on the SMP as they were told to do. Its still in the balance though until it gets finally signed off, but most of the people I have spoken to ( Agents, WA staff and Others ) say there is no reason why it shouldn't be on.

Cheers,

John:hug:

Hi John

I have also spoken on a few occasions to WA and they say that they havent seen the draft SMP themselves so will not speculate on whats on it. We all know that what was thought to be the draft list was later suggested that it wasn't. Also the list produced from WA refering to High Top and Priority, when I asked a senior member of staff at WA migration centre she advised that this list would have no bearing on the SMP's as it was produced by a department that has nothing to do with the SMP and pointed that it was actually produced as a tool to advise students in Australia what courses would be worth doing that would potentially lead to a job.

We all must wait I feel. I personally am holding out for all SS sponsored applicants whatever the job be allowed on smp as some form of run off

Shane

I wonder whether the SMP lists will be similar to the previous SS lists. I will be gobsmacked if air conditioning engineers are not on the WA SMP. There are approx 50 jobs in Perth metro area on a job website.

Victoria website has also changed from September to October 2010 at some point this week. Who will get priority as and when! they do finally release? hoping things will not change again... x

Archived