Australian Electoral Impasse Broken - Now for the SMPs

George Lombard

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Authoritative piece by Michelle Grattan in this morning's Age suggests that Evans wants a change from Immigration. This may be a signal that he in fact won't get a change or that he stays in a portfolio which loses some of its functions. See PM eyes Combet for climate .

And for all the SMPers waiting, it's most likely that SMPs will come quickly if he stays in the job. But no telling what fresh hells an unhappy minister might unleash so overall might be better if they move him.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest Gollywobbler
Authoritative piece by Michelle Grattan in this morning's Age suggests that Evans wants a change from Immigration. This may be a signal that he in fact won't get a change or that he stays in a portfolio which loses some of its functions. See PM eyes Combet for climate .

And for all the SMPers waiting, it's most likely that SMPs will come quickly if he stays in the job. But no telling what fresh hells an unhappy minister might unleash so overall might be better if they move him.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George

In what ways could the Immigration portfolio be cut, please?

It seems that the political knives are out for Evans because he is seen as having stuffed up Labor's election campaign by failing to win hearts & minds about Labor's attitude towards asylum seekers. Evans himself is said to be sick of being "beaten up" about irregular maritime arrivals.

Part of me can see that I suppose you can hive the Humanitarian Stream out into a new Ministry with a vague name such as "settlement" but another part of me says that these people still need visas and I can't see how visas and DIAC could be divorced?

I've read lots of reports about "demoting" Evans but you are the first person to have said that it would be possible to alter the items inside the Immigration portfolio.

It could be that I don't understand your comment properly, though.

Many thanks :notworthy:

Gill

Hi Gill,

The business of government anywhere involves a lot of functions which are divided, often arbitrarily, between portfolios. In some countries, eg the US, refugee and asylum issues have been the province of a government legal department, and the business of managing migration for the economic benefit of a country is often associated with departments of labour or manpower. Equally, border security doesn't necessarily belong with the same organisation which makes decisions on visas - sometimes the division between the judicial and enforcement arms of migration policy is a little uncomfortable . In the US in 2003 they separated the old INS into three separate bodies within the Department of Homeland Security. You can see what happened to INS here: Immigration and Naturalization Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

In Australia's case there could well be scope for a new Department of Labour with control over the economic issues in migration. Some senior bureaucrats are empire builders and there might be a perception that DIAC has been weakened by a succession of failures, in which case the mismanagement of the general skilled migration area would loom very large. The Department of Foreign Affairs sometimes has an uneasy relationship with DIAC and there are those who might say that the whole saga of the SMPs indicates an inability to negotiate sensibly with the States, and that given the needs of regional Australia that the new regional portfolio being created for Rob Oakeshott MHR could be spun to include some issues of population spread. It really depends on how they want to manage issues of labour, boat people, population, national futures, multiculturalism, etc. From the view of government it's all about spin and perception.

What do you think?

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi John

I have also spoken on a few occasions to WA and they say that they havent seen the draft SMP themselves so will not speculate on whats on it. We all know that what was thought to be the draft list was later suggested that it wasn't. Also the list produced from WA refering to High Top and Priority, when I asked a senior member of staff at WA migration centre she advised that this list would have no bearing on the SMP's as it was produced by a department that has nothing to do with the SMP and pointed that it was actually produced as a tool to advise students in Australia what courses would be worth doing that would potentially lead to a job.

We all must wait I feel. I personally am holding out for all SS sponsored applicants whatever the job be allowed on smp as some form of run off

Shane

Trust me Shane, The list I am talking about WAS a draft of the SMP. It was leaked a few months ago. I know the list that you are on about, that is the one which has TOP, HIGH and Priority on it. This was not the draft SMP and I dont think WA would tell you if they had or had not seen a list anyway.The leaked draft list was handed arounf a few agents for them to look over at the time and a few other people got the chance to look over it, but all I know is that Cook was on it and quite a lot of other trades.

Although this was a draft, it still has to be signed off.

Regards,

John

Hi Gill,

The business of government anywhere involves a lot of functions which are divided, often arbitrarily, between portfolios. In some countries, eg the US, refugee and asylum issues have been the province of a government legal department, and the business of managing migration for the economic benefit of a country is often associated with departments of labour or manpower. Equally, border security doesn't necessarily belong with the same organisation which makes decisions on visas - sometimes the division between the judicial and enforcement arms of migration policy is a little uncomfortable . In the US in 2003 they separated the old INS into three separate bodies within the Department of Homeland Security. You can see what happened to INS here: Immigration and Naturalization Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

In Australia's case there could well be scope for a new Department of Labour with control over the economic issues in migration. Some senior bureaucrats are empire builders and there might be a perception that DIAC has been weakened by a succession of failures, in which case the mismanagement of the general skilled migration area would loom very large. The Department of Foreign Affairs sometimes has an uneasy relationship with DIAC and there are those who might say that the whole saga of the SMPs indicates an inability to negotiate sensibly with the States, and that given the needs of regional Australia that the new regional portfolio being created for Rob Oakeshott MHR could be spun to include some issues of population spread. It really depends on how they want to manage issues of labour, boat people, population, national futures, multiculturalism, etc. From the view of government it's all about spin and perception.

What do you think?

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George,

I take it this is only your opinion as there seems to be a few " Could's " and "Maybe's" in your comment. Furthermore, Wikipedia is not the most acurate source of information as anyone can go on to it and change the information.

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

Just answering Gill's enquiry. Have seen these issues raised periodically in Australia and the Wikipedia link is just a convenient way of showing that something like this has been done, and in a country which Australia might take examples from. In fact DIAC has been remarkably stable in its functions for 20 years compared to most other Commonwealth Government departments. Could be like the Qantas safety record - can it continue for ever?

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi John,

Just answering Gill's enquiry. Have seen these issues raised periodically in Australia and the Wikipedia link is just a convenient way of showing that something like this has been done, and in a country which Australia might take examples from. In fact DIAC has been remarkably stable in its functions for 20 years compared to most other Commonwealth Government departments. Could be like the Qantas safety record - can it continue for ever?

Cheers,

George Lombard

No Worries George,

Just read this,

Whats your thoughts?

Australia continues to welcome international students

Wednesday, 8 September 2010

Large numbers of overseas students continue to apply for temporary visas to study at Australian universities, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Senator Chris Evans said today.

'In 2009–2010, a total of 291 128 applications for student visas were lodged, making it the third largest program year on record, just behind that of 2007–08,' he said.

Responding to concerns raised by the Group of Eight Universities, Senator Evans said despite a decline in applications in recent months, Australia remained an attractive education provider for many international students.

'There are several factors which have impacted on the recent decline in numbers of student visa applications including the stronger Australian dollar, the ongoing impact of the global financial crisis in some countries, increased competition in the education market and improved integrity measures,' he said.

Senator Evans said contrary to concerns expressed by the Group of Eight Universities, Australia's student program remains uncapped and student visas are not included in the nation's permanent migration program numbers.

There has been no increase in the processing times for student visa applications which remain within DIAC service standards and are internationally competitive.

'Students are only granted temporary visas to study in Australia and the Gillard Government remains committed to maintaining this as an uncapped program,' he said.

'Labor inherited a student program which failed to adequately detect fraudulent applications and lacked the necessary safeguards to ensure student visa holders were genuine and had sufficient financial support.

'This was one of the factors which led to the unsustainable explosion in student numbers. Other countries, including the United Kingdom, are now dealing with the same problem and are looking to follow Australia's example by tightening immigration controls.'

Senator Evans said Labor had already introduced regulations which were proportional to the risk posed by different categories of prospective students.

'The reforms introduced by Labor were designed to target high risk caseloads, deliver integrity and ensure only genuine students with the financial capacity to live and study in Australia are granted visas,' he said.

'We also introduced reforms to encourage higher numbers of postgraduate research students by streamlining the application process.

'Labor will continue to monitor the impact of these reforms and work collaboratively with education providers to further streamline administrative processes while maintaining the integrity of the system.'

Senator Evans said the reforms protect the quality of education Australia offers and help ensure the skilled migration program is more responsive to the nation's skills needs.

'The changes also remove incentives for international students to seek permanent residence through low quality education courses, a practice that damaged the integrity of both the migration program and the education industry,' he said.

'The Gillard Government is committed to a sustainable, high-quality international education sector and values the contribution it makes to the Australian economy.'

Trust me Shane, The list I am talking about WAS a draft of the SMP. It was leaked a few months ago. I know the list that you are on about, that is the one which has TOP, HIGH and Priority on it. This was not the draft SMP and I dont think WA would tell you if they had or had not seen a list anyway.The leaked draft list was handed arounf a few agents for them to look over at the time and a few other people got the chance to look over it, but all I know is that Cook was on it and quite a lot of other trades.

Although this was a draft, it still has to be signed off.

Regards,

John

Hi this list that was leaked how comes no agents who post on PIO made us aware of this?The agents that post on here are very good and informative people.

John G why would WA give alot of information about the SMPs to you? Shan07 wasn't told anything and perhaps the people dealing with the call don't know anything about the SMP list contents.

Hi this list that was leaked how comes no agents who post on PIO made us aware of this?The agents that post on here are very good and informative people.

John G why would WA give alot of information about the SMPs to you? Shan07 wasn't told anything and perhaps the people dealing with the call don't know anything about the SMP list contents.

I will PM you.

I just red this in the Courier Mail:

"...

As the Prime Minister finalises her team, The Courier-Mail understands Immigration Minister Chris Evans is pushing to be replaced after coming under fire from Tony Abbott's "stop the boats" election campaign.

Labor's Mr Fix-it, Greg Combet is tipped to take on the role of climate change minister, and Victorian Brendan O'Connor is being touted as a possible immigration minister."

Source: Kevin Rudd will get Foreign Affairs post as Gillard is set to reveal ministry | Courier Mail

The wikipedia writes this about Brendan O'Connor:

Brendan O'Connor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey,

I am sponsored by Tasmania, so I called them yesterday to ask about the expected date of SMPs, but they said they had no clue.

Then, I thought to my self if an SMP for any state gets signed, then other states will have theirs signed not long after. So, I phoned Queensland, and claimed to be interested in moving their, and they told me that they are expecting the new minister to be unvield on Monday, and that the SMP to be signed in the middle of October.

I hope it goes this fast for real.

Regards,

Ahmad

Hi

A PIO member has posted on another thread the same thing for ACT. New minister to come in first and sign-off, hoping to be end of Oct / early Nov.

Claire

Chris Bowen becomes the new immigration minister replacing Chris Evans, who moves to a jobs portfolio. See Gillard announces her team .

Interesting that Evans is going to have a role with the skills side of immigration - you'd expect that the economic modelling input to future manifestations of the skilled occupation list, any new MODL or CSL, and state sponsorship lists. Just a shame that he won't be able to drive the reform of disability discrimination in migration from his new jobs portfolio.

Bowen, according to his Wikipedia entry, is an atheist, which will give him interesting discussions with the many religious groups who work in the broader immigration portfolio. Otherwise his CV doesn't reveal any special qualifications for the job apart from growing up in multicultural Western Sydney and being a former mayor of Fairfield. See Chris Bowen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Cheers,

George Lombard

Thanks George for keeping us up todate with the progress. Hopefully now that Mr Bowen is in place he can get things moving after what seems an incredibly long impasse.

Rgds

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nanoworld

This is so freaking annoying....SMPs are taking such a long time to get released..and none of the states are willing to commit what occupations would be der in their lists..occupations like life scientist,biochemist,biologist have been wiped out......

Is there any way in which a biochemist can be classified as a chemist by VETASSESS..has anyone had such an experience ever.............

This is so freaking annoying....SMPs are taking such a long time to get released..and none of the states are willing to commit

As important as the issue of SMPs is to both applicants and RMAs, migration issues are way down the various governments' priority list, unless you turn up on a boat off the north west coast with a TV crew tagging along.

Archived