To those coming home - The cost of housing

bunbury61

A relative of ours had a valuation on her house in Olton Solihull yesterday .

This place is ex council , but dont be fooled , its beautiful .

Loooking out over the park , beautifully decorated.......huge kitchen ......The garden is beautifully done ,big terrace, at least a qtr acre of grass and planting.......how much £190 k . They nearly fell through the floor

House prices are dropping at £150 per day .....thats what they were told .

It was worth 240 k , 3 years ago.

I cant see them dropping much further.

Guest chris955

Hopefully they will drop more for those going home, it's tough for those selling though but like here they were well overpriced for too long.

Guest christi
Hopefully they will drop more for those going home, it's tough for those selling though but like here they were well overpriced for too long.

I agree with you there Chris. Tassie prices have rocketed, good for us, but not for those starting out

My old house in the UK, is back on the market 3 years after we sold it for 30k less than we sold it for, and she cant sell it,,,its been on for ages

We need to get back home and buy a house now, cos the timing is just great for us returning

Can we purchase a house in the UK from Aus? we are still British citizens,,,does anyone know?

Guest chris955

Yes I don't see any reason why you can't buy one from here. House prices definitely seem to be still heading down which is good, it is of course bad for those in negative equity but that it going to happen in any market where the prices were overinflated.

Guest christi
Yes I don't see any reason why you can't buy one from here. House prices definitely seem to be still heading down which is good, it is of course bad for those in negative equity but that it going to happen in any market where the prices were overinflated.

Well thats really good, as we wanted to have some-where to go back to. The thought of being homeless again (as we were when we arrived here....god that was awful)

I couldent go through that again

Reading the UK papers I think theres a lot in negative equity again, but I think the same can be said in Aus now. So many seem to have mortgaged themselves "up to the eyeballs" Poor devils. As I keep saying, not much fun for new arrivals.

You know we moan , but I reckon we are the lucky ones,,,,or at least I hope we are. LOL:biggrin:

Guest gail.crease

I reckon when the market starts to recover it'll shoot up very quickly. I remember the last housing crash in the mid 90s. So many just handed the keys back to the mortgage company. My OH was one of the casualties in those days. If he hadn't have sold his house in '94 in Twickenham which was in negative equity at the time we'd be sitting mortgage free right now...sigh!! As soon as it started to recover in the late 90s it went up in record jumps. The demand for housing hasn't changed and supply has either slowed or stopped during the recession. I think the main barrier is still securing a mortgage. Once the finance industry sorts itself out it'll all sky rocket again.

Dont yer think those of us in the uk who are wanting to move to oz have took enuf "hits" with the exchange rate falling so badly,houses dropping in value here but rising in oz?

Its about time we got a financial break from somewhere imo

I reckon when the market starts to recover it'll shoot up very quickly. I remember the last housing crash in the mid 90s. So many just handed the keys back to the mortgage company. My OH was one of the casualties in those days. If he hadn't have sold his house in '94 in Twickenham which was in negative equity at the time we'd be sitting mortgage free right now...sigh!! As soon as it started to recover in the late 90s it went up in record jumps. The demand for housing hasn't changed and supply has either slowed or stopped during the recession. I think the main barrier is still securing a mortgage. Once the finance industry sorts itself out it'll all sky rocket again.

Also renting is astronomical - we didn't want to buy too quickly til we decided where we wanted to live etc. But with the cost of renting v cost of buying we might have to take the plunge more quickly.

I agree with you there Chris. Tassie prices have rocketed, good for us, but not for those starting out

My old house in the UK, is back on the market 3 years after we sold it for 30k less than we sold it for, and she cant sell it,,,its been on for ages

We need to get back home and buy a house now, cos the timing is just great for us returning

Can we purchase a house in the UK from Aus? we are still British citizens,,,does anyone know?

Yes Christi you can, we have just done it and about to complete...

Guest chris955

Yes absolutely but to be fair I have to look at it from my point of view.

Dont yer think those of us in the uk who are wanting to move to oz have took enuf "hits" with the exchange rate falling so badly,houses dropping in value here but rising in oz?

Its about time we got a financial break from somewhere imo

Yes absolutely but to be fair I have to look at it from my point of view.

Nothing new there then eh?:wink:

Yer dont think youve already done ok in the past with the exchange rate?

With the way your property has probably risen in price over x amount of years?

With the way hse prices have dropped in the uk since you emigrated?

Share a bit of goodwill mucker it will do your soul good

Guest christi
Yes Christi you can, we have just done it and about to complete...

Hi Connie

wasent sure if you had flown away yet....you are still here with us then?

Do you mind if I PM you at some stage to find out about the buying process from this end?

Guest christi
Nothing new there then eh?:wink:

Yer dont think youve already done ok in the past with the exchange rate?

With the way your property has probably risen in price over x amount of years?

With the way hse prices have dropped in the uk since you emigrated?

Share a bit of goodwill mucker it will do your soul good

We are a selfish lot you know , us homecomers:biglaugh:

Sorry I couldent resist that one:biggrin:

We are a selfish lot you know , us homecomers:biglaugh:

Sorry I couldent resist that one:biggrin:

Fair enuf ,but i'd like to think IF i'd benefited with all the things ive mentioned i WOULDNT want hse prices to drop even further for those in the uk hoping to migrate.

IF i'd done ok from the things ive mentioned i would settle for that,instead of wishing MORE financial misery on those who have suffered already.

Believe me or not,im no martyr,EVERYONE looks after their own interests TO A POINT,but IF i was in profit from migrating to oz(i know everyone isnt btw)i KNOW i wouldnt wish more financial hardship on those wanting to migrate.

"Much wants more" is a well used saying where im from.

And now im off to paint the hallway before the hse goes up for sale,thirty bob if chris gets his way:wink:

Guest gratom

I wouldn't take a lot of notice of that article in post No 3[the Express];its the Uk equivalent of the same thing in Oz where they endlessly talked up the market to the silly heights where they now stand[are we all ready for the crash??].Because of possible changes in CGT rates here property that are buy to lets are flowing[albeit slowly] back onto the market

Yesterday;an economist with the PolicyForum[?] forecast a possible world wide double dip;followed by more QE;followed by inflation and interest rates in 2012 of 8%.

House prices in the UK are static and there is seemingly a good supply[so an estate agent informs me]this doesn't apply to boom towns such as milton keynes or cambridge or parts of london.If you are going to move back do it now before there is an adverse movement in the exchange rate:hug:

Guest chris955

I'm not going to feel guilty about wanting the best for myself and my family, if house prices drop more then that will benefit us, if it is detrimental to you and others coming the other way that is unfortunate and those people have my sympathy.

I haven't at any stage wished any amount of financial misery on anyone and certainly wouldn't want MORE to go their way.

I'm really sorry it's going to be tough for you but I don't want it to be tough for us.

Fair enuf ,but i'd like to think IF i'd benefited with all the things ive mentioned i WOULDNT want hse prices to drop even further for those in the uk hoping to migrate.

IF i'd done ok from the things ive mentioned i would settle for that,instead of wishing MORE financial misery on those who have suffered already.

Believe me or not,im no martyr,EVERYONE looks after their own interests TO A POINT,but IF i was in profit from migrating to oz(i know everyone isnt btw)i KNOW i wouldnt wish more financial hardship on those wanting to migrate.

"Much wants more" is a well used saying where im from.

And now im off to paint the hallway before the hse goes up for sale,thirty bob if chris gets his way:wink:

I'm not going to feel guilty about wanting the best for myself and my family, if house prices drop more then that will benefit us, if it is detrimental to you and others coming the other way that is unfortunate and those people have my sympathy.

I haven't at any stage wished any amount of financial misery on anyone and certainly wouldn't want MORE to go their way.

I'm really sorry it's going to be tough for you but I don't want it to be tough for us.

My only concern for you Pablo is that if you are really concerned about cost of housing/exchange rates are you really ready for cost of living in Oz. We were reasonably comfortable but had a very low mortgage and relatively high income (my oh also had a very secure job to go to) although we were stung with very high education costs (our choice). However anything less than this and we would have struggled like many of our ozzie friends were. Don't want to scaremonger but for your sake please be sure you can afford this as its an expensive move to make (both ways).

You better bugger off back, quick then! :biggrin:

HOUSE prices are set to soar by almost 20 per cent in the next four years, according to experts.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: House prices to rise by 20%

Yes I read that in the dreadfull International Express. The very day after I read it, the Bank of England announced the high possibility of a double dip recession. Can yo believe anything you read in the International Express? Its usually full and gloom in the UK....but I still read it!!!

My only concern for you Pablo is that if you are really concerned about cost of housing/exchange rates are you really ready for cost of living in Oz. We were reasonably comfortable but had a very low mortgage and relatively high income (my oh also had a very secure job to go to) although we were stung with very high education costs (our choice). However anything less than this and we would have struggled like many of our ozzie friends were. Don't want to scaremonger but for your sake please be sure you can afford this as its an expensive move to make (both ways).

Im ok thx,my point was about EVERYONE moving over there from here,i was just saying that it would be nice if a financial break came the way of those moving TO oz,as the last few years has seen things all go the way of those IN oz,hse prices,exchange rates etc

By hoping the hse prices drop EVEN further in the uk IS giving those moving to oz more financial misery,THAT is what you said you hoped would happen isnt it.

And no,i didnt think for one minute that you would feel guilty,every other post i read of yours confirms that you have no thought for others at all, like i said "much wants more".

I would like to think that if i'd benefited from the things that have gone your way over the last few years,i would be gracious enuf to be happy with that,and think of others a "bit" anyway,each to their own,you are the way you are,not a great attitude tho imo.

Archived