If you shipped again ! What would you bring

pau1evs

IF YOU SHIPPED AGAIN ! WHAT WOULD YOU BRING

i Wish i had done ALOT more research x the simple things are expensive !!

bedding and towels and the stuff you are gonna chuck away !!!

even household furniture

ARGOS - THE FLAT PACKED FURNITURE

- JEWELERY IE EAR RINGS ! WATCHES

- CAMPING EQUIPMENT

- HOUSEHOLD

- TOYS

- CATALOGUE SHOPPING

TESCOS

ASDA - CLOTHES

- COSMETICS

- SHAMPOO

AND ALL THE CHEAP TOYS

HOUSEHOLD GOODS

PRIMARK - SOCKS? UNDERWEAR

CLOTHES

JEWELERY

WELL I WONT BOTHER WITH NEXT !

CAUSE M & S DEILVER !

GAP IS COMING

MOTHERCARE IS HERE !

but if you want a barbi that washes your dishes its cheap as CHIPS !!! lol

If i had my time again and alot of poms would fill a container with !

Yes, it's true. If I were to ship again I would have brought a bit more.

The bed frames, but not the mattresses,

more of my tools,

more of the things that I thought were junk on the shelfs in the garage, the little things like the car shampoo and sponge, I had some stuff for polishing out marks on the paintwork, even silly things like the ball of thick string that hung from the roof.

Stuff you didn't use often but was bloody useful when you needed it!

I didn't bring electrical items, washing machine,fridge,tv etc. Still needed them in the uk before we shipped out. Who wants to be without while they are in transit?

Anyway, all our stuff was not new, so bought new here. You may need a bigger fridge here anyway(we do!)

I think that one of the big things about arriving here and needing to buy everything, w/m,fridge,tv,tumble,kettle,toaster,beds,settees,tables,chairs,pots and pans,towels,bedding,bookcases,bed side tables,kitchen wear etc etc etc, is that you suddenly become aware of the cost of everything because you are buying it all in one go!

You've never done that before. I certanly hadn't. We always got things a bit at a time or were gived/loaned stuff.

Without wanting to tell people to bring their rubbish I would say that if you have a container with space in, then fill it. You may be surprised of the things that you wish you had brought.

Thanks for highlighting the things we need to bring :)

We're hoping to come out to Perth next August and have already decided to buy:

* a new family tent at the end of this year (when the weather is even more rubbish than now) to bring out.

* Also we'd like to bring our Vauxhall Zafira 7 seater too and will get it serviced, new tyres, exhaust, etc done before it's shipped.

* New beds for the kids and bedding for us all.

* We've been advised to buy several pairs of trainers/footie boots for the kids in the next few sizes up, as they are so expensive in Oz.

This is probably a silly question but 'what sort of shoes do kids wear for school out there?' If it's black leather like in the UK, then I'm tempted to get school shoes too before we come.

* Towels

* Cooking pans

* Bras, knickers, boxers, socks

* Toiletries

* Is it worth us getting new garden furniture here in the UK to bring too?

Will keep checking back to see everyones other suggestions, thanks again :)

Newly added suggestions:

* coathangers

Guest The Pom Queen

Manchester (bedding) is very expensive here, I would also suggest lots of undies, socks and shoes. Also coat hangers, it sounds silly but they cost about $1 each unless you can get them in the sales, lol.

We did Plymouth to Perth !, Kids wear trainers to school here most of the time, buy as many pairs as you can from Sports soccer or similar, as they are rubbish quality & expensive here !!. Found it cheaper to buy a good brand on ebay, and get them shipped here !

Garden furniture is pretty cheap here though, and all made in China anyway !

Don't know about the car though, I think it's only worth bringing newish Mercs or BMs, but Holden have a version of the Zafira, so you should be ok for parts.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Guest The Pom Queen

This is probably a silly question but 'what sort of shoes do kids wear for school out there?' If it's black leather like in the UK, then I'm tempted to get school shoes too before we come.

If they are in junior school then it's usually trainers, in secondary it is black school shoes and usually lace ups only. I would highly recommend getting some from the UK before you come. We end up buying new shoes every 3 month for the boys and at $80 a pair it's not cheap, they just fall to bits. You can buy them cheaper at Kmart etc, but to be honest they fall apart in a month so it's not really cost effective.

When I come to Australia in 1963 I brought a 4' x 2' x 2' tin trunk that had lots of clothes including 4 suits...In the 47 years I have been here, I have worn 1 suit twice...to funerals and that suit was given to me.

Cheers, Bobj.

Photos thats it seriously furniture is so cheap here and its better quality! You can get all your kitchen stuff so cheap from Target and the Big W. And every single day especially the weekends people are practically giving away stuff at Garage sales. Also Plasma and LCD tv's are really cheap. I keep hearing people say everything is so dear to buy, dont know where they are looking because we have found the opposite to be true!:biggrin:

I believe it is worth saying that Australia is still on the planet Earth and that they sell stuff here.

There are plenty of shops, the big ones like David Jones, Myers, Target, Kmart etc as well as many smaller independant clothes shops. Some of which are very good.

The quality of course will vary from shop to shop and the price may differ. Just like the uk.

In the time we have been here we have been to lots of shops and only now do we feel that we are getting to know where to go for a particular item.

I never had a connection with any shop in the uk so maybe I have found it less important to have a familiar brand gird my loins.

The cost of said item is a choice for you to make but I seem to be in the minority here when I say that I don't think that clothes are particuly expensive. But then I'm not a fashionista. I'm a man, so happy with shorts and t shirts thanks.

YEH tools definatley x brought more

and even bought new to ship

COAT HANGERS - OMG SINCE WHEN DO YOU BUY COAT HANGERS ! THEY DONT COME FREE WITH CLOTHES

GARDEN FURNITURE - ISNT THAT EXPENSIVE unless you want a sunlounger !!

and BARBIES - are really cheap !!!

CAMPING STUFF IS ! I WISH I HAD BOUGHT A TENT - and blow up beds are the same price as ikea put up beds with the frame

BEDDING AND TOWELS ARE NOT GREAT - FOR THE PRICE AND QUALITY

TOLIETRIES ISNT TO BAD IF YOU BUY - FROM THE CHEAPY SHOPS AND NOT THE SUPERMARKETS

SOCKS AND KNICKERS ARE EXPENSIVE iN GENERAL !! although target does do cheap alternative !! which is a bit matalan !!! theres not alot of choice especially with teenage girls !

more of the things that I thought were junk on the shelfs in the garage, the little things like the car shampoo and sponge, I had some stuff for polishing out marks on the paintwork, even silly things like the ball of thick string that hung from the roof.

Stuff you didn't use often but was bloody useful when you needed it!

I KNOW THE FEELING THE GIRLS HAD A PROJECT TO MAKE A PULLEY WITH A BIT OF WOOD !!! I WOULD HAVE JUST GONE TO GARGAGE ! BUT I AM NOT BUYING A PIECE OF WOOD FOR SCHOOL PROJECT !

I think that one of the big things about arriving here and needing to buy everything, w/m,fridge,tv,tumble,kettle,toaster,beds,settees,tables,chairs,pots and pans,towels,bedding,bookcases,bed side tables,kitchen wear etc etc etc, is that you suddenly become aware of the cost of everything because you are buying it all in one go!

LIKE BUYING WASHING BASKETS AND A DUST PAN AND BRUSH !!! AND BROOMS !!! IT SOON ADDS UP ! PEGS EVEN GARDEN EQUIPMENT FOR A PAIR OF SHEARS IS $60 !! BUT ITS BUYING ALL OVER AGAIN

AND A WASHING LINE OVER COSTS AN ARM AND A LEG !!!!

AND IF YOUR BRINGIN A TUMBLE DRYER WITH A VENTING HOSE !!! BUY A NEW ONE WITH YOU !!! YOU CANT GET THEM HERE !

I AM HAVING TO GET ONE SHIPPED OVER

Without wanting to tell people to bring their rubbish I would say that if you have a container with space in, then fill it. You may be surprised of the things that you wish you had brought

ANY ONE GOT ANY SPACE IN A CONTAINER !! LOL COMING TO MELBOURNE XXX can you get me some rubbish xxx

love carole x:jiggy:

I believe it is worth saying that Australia is still on the planet Earth and that they sell stuff here.

There are plenty of shops, the big ones like David Jones, Myers, Target, Kmart etc as well as many smaller independant clothes shops. Some of which are very good.

The quality of course will vary from shop to shop and the price may differ. Just like the uk.

In the time we have been here we have been to lots of shops and only now do we feel that we are getting to know where to go for a particular item.

I never had a connection with any shop in the uk so maybe I have found it less important to have a familiar brand gird my loins.

The cost of said item is a choice for you to make but I seem to be in the minority here when I say that I don't think that clothes are particuly expensive. But then I'm not a fashionista. I'm a man, so happy with shorts and t shirts thanks.[/quote

:biggrin:THANKS STEVE X

WISH I WAS A MAN ! LOL WITH TEENAGE GIRLS AND A WIFE !

SHORTS AND T-SHIRTS ARE EASY !!!

When I was in Australia in July I visited a friend who moved to Adelaide a few years ago. He said that he and his then wife brought absolutely everything in their house down with them. In retrospect, he thinks that a better solution would have been to bring far less with them.

I haven't even thought about shipping as yet, but if I did I'd look at getting rid of as much stuff as possible. It would probably end up being clothes (and I don't have that much these days), books, CDs, I've got some decent kitchenware, and the pair of nice chairs I got earlier this year. It'll probably work out as something like 100 to 150 cubic feet.

If it works out at £10 per cubic foot (which I vaguely recall being quoted) then anything that's cheap and bulky becomes very expensive to ship. Whereas something small and valuable will be worthwhile.

Guest siamsusie
When I was in Australia in July I visited a friend who moved to Adelaide a few years ago. He said that he and his then wife brought absolutely everything in their house down with them. In retrospect, he thinks that a better solution would have been to bring far less with them.

I haven't even thought about shipping as yet, but if I did I'd look at getting rid of as much stuff as possible. It would probably end up being clothes (and I don't have that much these days), books, CDs, I've got some decent kitchenware, and the pair of nice chairs I got earlier this year. It'll probably work out as something like 100 to 150 cubic feet.

If it works out at £10 per cubic foot (which I vaguely recall being quoted) then anything that's cheap and bulky becomes very expensive to ship. Whereas something small and valuable will be worthwhile.

When you actually look at for example what ones kitchen holds, microwave/oven, f/freezer, cutlery, crockery, glasswear, dish washer etc etc, I worked out I prob had approx (pounds) 4 grands worth in the kitchen alone. It mounts up very very quickly. A container 20 ft is approx 4-4,500 (pounds) it makes it very worthwhile. if you value your possessions it makes sense, no sole leather pounding the streets, no shopping, a complete house in an instant. I also understand starting afresh from scratch which can also be fun but just not for me. There was no room for illegals in my container I can assure you :wink: Susie

When you actually look at for example what ones kitchen holds, microwave/oven, f/freezer, cutlery, crockery, glasswear, dish washer etc etc, I worked out I prob had approx (pounds) 4 grands worth in the kitchen alone. It mounts up very very quickly. A container 20 ft is approx 4-4,500 (pounds) it makes it very worthwhile. if you value your possessions it makes sense, no sole leather pounding the streets, no shopping, a complete house in an instant. I also understand starting afresh from scratch which can also be fun but just not for me. There was no room for illegals in my container I can assure you :wink: Susie

I can say when i wrote out the contents list for the insurance it is amazing what it all comes to ! just for a kitchen or even beddin

:biggrin:

carole x

If its any help to anyone thinking of coming with the bear essentials:

We got queen size duvets for $20 at Woolworths

We got queen size bedding from K Mart for $17, duvet cover and two pillow cases

We got queen size fitted bottom sheet top sheet and two pillow cases for $21

Kettle $12 Target

Toaster $12 Target

Kitchen Utensils cant remember exact prices of each but those and bakeware and tea towels came to less than $60

Crockery set $25

Cutlery $12

Microwave $50

LG plasma tv 48 inch $650

Toshiba dvd $46

Queen size bed and mattress $267

One 2 seater sofa and one 3 seater sofa $600

This is all new prices we have got even better bargains at car boot sales!!!:jiggy:

Guest siamsusie
I can say when i wrote out the contents list for the insurance it is amazing what it all comes to ! just for a kitchen or even beddin

:biggrin:

carole x

Exactly Carol, it sure mounts up. I certainly dont have any regrets at all... dont forget there is a market also (certainly here in Tasmania) for empty boxes approx $6-$10 each, buys a few slabs of beer for Christmas :laugh: Susie x

Archived