Does anyone feel like Oz is just too far away

Guest gail.crease

Guest gail.crease

I think my problem settling here after over 2.5 years is it's just too far away to visit. I feel very cut-off from the rest of the world. Even if we could afford to go back every year we wouldn't as the flights are a killer and you need to go for 4 weeks at a time to be worth it. We had a first trip back last April. It was lovely to see everyone but it was a nightmare with jet lag and I picked up a serious chest infection on the plane and so was very ill for the first 2 weeks of our 4 week trip. To top it all I got another chest infection on the way back on the plane. Both sets of parents live 6-7 hours drive apart and no-one near any of our friends. So we had to stay in 10 different houses over a month which is difficult with 2 little kids. I was on a knife edge at friend's houses in case the kids broke anything, they got up too early with jetlag or we overstayed our welcome being too many in one house. It cost a blinking fortune with flights and hiring a car plus we used up all our yearly holiday in one trip and needed another holiday to recover. All in all OH said if we're going to stay here we'll just have to forget about everyone and not visit.

I don't hate living here but wish it was as close as America so I could vist once or twice a year. My mum came out 18 months ago which was a big ordeal for her and I don't know if she'll come again as she's not in the best of health. The in-laws refuse to come for financial reasons and the long flight. The thought of staying here for the rest of my life and not seeing friends and family is making me more homesick that I would normally be. I've lived abroad for many years before kids and because I came home every year I didn't feel homesick too much.

On the other side I didn't hate living in England. We had a good life and our only bug bear was the weather. If I can overcome the winter weather by having one or two sun holidays in the winter I'd cope. Our house, old friends and old life remain unchanged (the April trip validated this) and we could easily slip back in again. I'd like to stay for citizenship in case we want to ping pong later one when the parents are no longer around and in case the UK really does go down the pan and we have a golden ticket of there. OH says lets just go now as it'll never get any better so why would we want to come back.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Guest christi
I think my problem settling here after over 2.5 years is it's just too far away to visit. I feel very cut-off from the rest of the world. Even if we could afford to go back every year we wouldn't as the flights are a killer and you need to go for 4 weeks at a time to be worth it. We had a first trip back last April. It was lovely to see everyone but it was a nightmare with jet lag and I picked up a serious chest infection on the plane and so was very ill for the first 2 weeks of our 4 week trip. To top it all I got another chest infection on the way back on the plane. Both sets of parents live 6-7 hours drive apart and no-one near any of our friends. So we had to stay in 10 different houses over a month which is difficult with 2 little kids. I was on a knife edge at friend's houses in case the kids broke anything, they got up too early with jetlag or we overstayed our welcome being too many in one house. It cost a blinking fortune with flights and hiring a car plus we used up all our yearly holiday in one trip and needed another holiday to recover. All in all OH said if we're going to stay here we'll just have to forget about everyone and not visit.

I don't hate living here but wish it was as close as America so I could vist once or twice a year. My mum came out 18 months ago which was a big ordeal for her and I don't know if she'll come again as she's not in the best of health. The in-laws refuse to come for financial reasons and the long flight. The thought of staying here for the rest of my life and not seeing friends and family is making me more homesick that I would normally be. I've lived abroad for many years before kids and because I came home every year I didn't feel homesick too much.

On the other side I didn't hate living in England. We had a good life and our only bug bear was the weather. If I can overcome the winter weather by having one or two sun holidays in the winter I'd cope. Our house, old friends and old life remain unchanged (the April trip validated this) and we could easily slip back in again. I'd like to stay for citizenship in case we want to ping pong later one when the parents are no longer around and in case the UK really does go down the pan and we have a golden ticket of there. OH says lets just go now as it'll never get any better so why would we want to come back.

It is so hard,you do feel so far away, we have only done the flight here and as much as I would love to go home to see everyone, I cant face it

The next time I do that flight will be when we leave here, for once and for all

We have permanant residency , but I know we would never come back, once we are home.As you say, you can always have holidays in the sun, away from the cold british weather

So in that respect you can have the best of both worlds

Good luck with whatev er you deceide

Guest gary12

We are really fortunate in that we have had many visitors in the 18 months since we arrived 5 lots so far and another 3 families due between October and Jan. Ungrateful as this sounds the one person I really wanted to see was my best friend. My husband wanted me to go back on my own for a holiday but at the time I thought I would never come back so, we contibuted to my friend coming out. Just a real bargain of a flight with Etihad for £500, she only came for 9 days but boy was it fab to see her.

Much cheaper than us all trecking back but it was just what I needed, is there anyway you could do this? It's obviously hard to decide who you pay for but it is an option.

I am taking our boys back for a holiday next year without my husband but the cost is so high, I keep thinking what else we could do for the money but hey ho. I am going to hire a little holiday place and hopefully people will come to see us and stay a day or two, hopefully stopping the need to rush round like a blue ...fly.

We are all happy and very settled here now and I know for now at least it is our home, that doesn't stop it feeling like it sucks at times!

Best of luck

Michelle

Guest Gunner

I have been Melbourne and Auckland for a total of 17 years now. Two young Aussies 4 and 9 are excited because the house is on the market, and providing it sells we will be heading back to England probably south east Hertfordshire in January after a well deserved long holiday in the US. The sun is nice but now I have hit middle age I realise that in Australia there is no visit to the British Museum or the museum delights of Sth Ken, no taking my 9 year old to the Tower of London or listening to Wizard singing "I wish it could be christmas everyday" during December in every shop in the UK . All of that and lots of family and friends too.

We are lucky and Aus has been kind to us with a great income and a lovely house which will translate into a mortgage free comfortable existence. I feel as excited going back as I did originally coming out

Pete

I think my problem settling here after over 2.5 years is it's just too far away to visit.

My thoughts exactly - if I knew I could just jump on the plane and be with family and friends in a few hours I know I would be more settled.....................but it ain't like that and I am more and more unsettled by the day.

Even my trip back in 10 weeks time is not soon enough and I am slowly going out of my mind. I am sure my OH thinks I have been abducted and replaced with some sort of alien being.

It's a funny old world when your life seems all rosy one day then it crashes all around you the next.....................

Gill

I feel for you all as its not very nice living somewhere which is not quite right.

We are the opposite and have always been so, thinking that the further away the better, away from all the millions of people but then we would make good hermits.

I have lived all over the place went to sea with my oh for quite a while and really Aus just does it for us. We hate the long flight to UK but its sort of like going to dentist its soon over. Fortunately we do not seem to suffer too much jet lag.

I think the lucky people are those that never think of moving, just stick where they are then they never wonder what if.

The more threads I read about people going back/wanting to go back, the more I become intrigued and full of wondering about what I will do in years to come!!

For those of you who haven't seen me around these parts before, I'm just 18 and have been in Brisbane for ooh 3 weeks now. Leaving England was difficult, owing to a couple of friends, but actually it's hard to believe I ever lived in the UK now!

The only thing missing is my brother and my dad. My mum is here and currently out at work.

I have already had offers and experiences here that I could never have dreamed of having in the UK. On Monday I will be starting work as Information Technology Officer for a hospice here. The same place as my mum is working. I also got offered a job on the spot at McDonald's in Brisbane CBD, but have since "left" to take the IT job instead.

We're looking for a rental at the moment. I also hope to go to University in 2011. I have my concerns that they may decide to go back to the UK, but I don't feel I'd have half a chance if I ever went back. As far as I'm concerned I've already got more than I could have ever imagined and have been rather lucky and I hope everything else is going to turn out ok.

I don't miss England at all. I maybe miss some people, and having my stuff, but I know it's only a boat-trip away from being here now. But as I say, reading these threads, one can only imagine. And I really do feel for all the people whom it hasn't worked out for and I wish you all every success with your returns to the UK (or wherever else in the world) or your ping-ponging or whatever you have decided to do. :cute:

At the end of the day we may only try to do what we feel is right for us. We all seek that "comfortable" state. Some of us never find it, but I hope that all of you here do find that comfort you are seeking!

:wubclub:

Luke

Guest gary12

At the end of the day we may only try to do what we feel is right for us. We all seek that "comfortable" state. Some of us never find it, but I hope that all of you here do find that comfort you are seeking!

:wubclub:

Luke

Luke

you are so right, how did you get so wise?

You sound like you are grabbing the opportunity you have and giving it 110% Best of luck to you.

kind regards

Michelle

I didnt miss UK for the first 10 years, had fun, saw lots, went all over but now there is nothing to keep me here at all except a husband. I go home every year, sometimes twice a year but that is expensive and in my old age it isnt the doddle, hefting the backpack, that it used to be when I was younger. It is getting to be too far now both financially and physically. Over the past 31 years we had my parents every year for 15 years until they got too old, an aunt and uncle once, one friend twice, two friends once and another aunt once ... that's about it, family and friends wouldnt/couldnt come. I missed the death of my grandmother, several aunts and uncles and a cousin. I missed the birth of all of my cousins' kids and my friends' kids and now am missing their grandkids. I missed the weddings of most of my friends and all of my cousins. Yup, much too far!

We missed the boat really - just kept on keeping on when Aus was in the doldrums economically and it would have been financial suicide to have gone back. I really regret that.

My son went back to UK for a post uni gap year - 8 years ago this month - and has been back for a couple of short holidays but cant wait to get back to UK each time. So much more to do, places to go, people to see etc. He lived in London for 4 years and loved the buzz and had a great career opportunity and ended up with a much better future than if he had stayed in Australia. He and his fiance are almost on the property ladder, he has a better car than I have ever had, they do a couple of overseas trips a year (Portugal, Egypt, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Belgium) and regularly do UK weekend breaks. His passport is a darn sight more interesting than mine these days!

I just dont get the "better opportunities in Australia" thing. It's a small pond, far away from the rest of the western world.

Well Quoll, what can I say?

I'm sorry to hear you don't see the appeals anymore. Whatever way you look at it, you've always been a big help to me on here and I often add in education-related posts "hopefully Quoll will stumble across this and be able to offer further advice!"

I'm surprised. Until having read this I would've never guessed that you would be thinking of/wanting to go back to the UK.

Maybe my problem is that all my "close" friends moved away to other places in the UK then we lost contact and so on. Others just moved on, many are now off to Uni in September.

I don't have any ties there now really other than family. My dad's family all live 5 hours away in the North, and we see them what, once a year? I don't like going up there, because it's a miserable place (the town in question). Other friends I'm able to easily keep in contact with - Facebook, MSN etc. It's a new start for me? I guess as with all things, the opportunities vary far and wide for everyone. For some it's an opportunity and a privilege to be here, for others, they want it to be but sadly it's not necessarily so. For me it sure is though!! :jimlad:

Anyway, I wish you well Quoll that you may find what you are looking for!

As for when did I get wise? Well Michelle I was never un-wise... I just felt it was time for that part of me to shine for a moment? :biglaugh:

Guest gail.crease
Well Quoll, what can I say?

I'm sorry to hear you don't see the appeals anymore. Whatever way you look at it, you've always been a big help to me on here and I often add in education-related posts "hopefully Quoll will stumble across this and be able to offer further advice!"

I'm surprised. Until having read this I would've never guessed that you would be thinking of/wanting to go back to the UK.

Maybe my problem is that all my "close" friends moved away to other places in the UK then we lost contact and so on. Others just moved on, many are now off to Uni in September.

I don't have any ties there now really other than family. My dad's family all live 5 hours away in the North, and we see them what, once a year? I don't like going up there, because it's a miserable place (the town in question). Other friends I'm able to easily keep in contact with - Facebook, MSN etc. It's a new start for me? I guess as with all things, the opportunities vary far and wide for everyone. For some it's an opportunity and a privilege to be here, for others, they want it to be but sadly it's not necessarily so. For me it sure is though!! :jimlad:

Anyway, I wish you well Quoll that you may find what you are looking for!

As for when did I get wise? Well Michelle I was never un-wise... I just felt it was time for that part of me to shine for a moment? :biglaugh:

Luke

I don't want to come across as old and patronising but I've been in your situation and it's so much easier when you're young, don't have kids and your parents aren't on death's door. I left England when I was 20 and didn't come back until I was 31. I hated it and swore I'd never be back. I grew up in the 70s/80s in the North where there were no prospects of a good job either. Everyone my age was on the dole or struggling to get on a YTS scheme so they could get training in something. I didn't give leaving the UK a passing thought and looked forward to my yearly trip home to see the folks but was glad I was living in the sun which was my dream away from dreary England. I ended up being back there at 31 because a country move to Switzerland didn't go well and we didn't have much choice at the time. I realised that we'd missed a lot and our friends had got on the property ladder while we were partying away overseas (met OH overseas). Instead of going to Australia at that point, we did the sensible thing and bought a house then had a couple of kids all the while Australia was an itch to scratch in the background. While we were home we reconnected with old friends, made some wonderful new ones and felt settled except for Oz niggling in the background. My dad got diagnosed with cancer and after a 4 year battle finally died. At that point my mum was ok healthwise so I felt it was fine to emigrate to Oz. I didn't realise how hard it would be to take the grandkids away. Gone were the days I just packed my bag and went where I liked, I had other people's feelings to consider. My mum came to visit here 18 months ago got ill and had a heart attack. She's in her 70s and I felt so guilty putting her through it but it was the only way she could see her grandkids. She's not coping well on her own and every day the guilt eats away at me. My father in law has just got over cancer and he moved back from Spain to England afterwards and he desperately misses his only grandkids.

My point is travelling/moving abroad is great when you're young and have no responsibilities. One of the reasons I want to hang on for citizenship is in case my kids find themselves in your position in years to come and so they can easily move back here for opportunties.

Good luck to you. I would have loved to been here when I was 18. You're very lucky to have your mum with you on your adventure.

Gail

Of course I completely understand where you're coming from, Gail. I don't feel at all patronised, you're very right in what you say. I can see it's been all very difficult for you!

I have no idea what is around the corner of course. I'm not saying that I will never go back, even to visit, but right at this minute in time and for the forseeable future, I don't have any reasons to go back. Maybe one day it will change. But for the time being at the moment I'm all for going with what I got and seeing where it takes me, but in the hope it'll keep me here in Oz! :cute:

Are you planning to go back to the UK Gail, sorry, it was a few hours since I first posted in this thread so I don't remember without back-tracking and looking again??

L

Guest gail.crease
Of course I completely understand where you're coming from, Gail. I don't feel at all patronised, you're very right in what you say. I can see it's been all very difficult for you!

I have no idea what is around the corner of course. I'm not saying that I will never go back, even to visit, but right at this minute in time and for the forseeable future, I don't have any reasons to go back. Maybe one day it will change. But for the time being at the moment I'm all for going with what I got and seeing where it takes me, but in the hope it'll keep me here in Oz! :cute:

Are you planning to go back to the UK Gail, sorry, it was a few hours since I first posted in this thread so I don't remember without back-tracking and looking again??

L

Luke

I feel like I have no choice to go back. It's costs the price of a small car to take a family of 4 back for a trip each year. I can't cut every one off and I'm no happier in Melbourne that I was in the UK so I think what's the point of being here. The winter is cold and wet here and every year I think I'd rather have a UK winter because at lease I have halloween, bonfire night, christmas, and all our birthdays to look forward to and keep me busy. Now if we could get work in the Gold Coast I might think it was worth it as we love it there. Our work skills are needed in big cities so commuting from Brissy is out of the question. There's loads of work for us in Brissy and we've considered moving there but we'd still have the same problem regarding yearly visits to the UK. We've decided to go home for at least a year after citizenship. If we feel we've made a mistake and we miss Oz we'll move to Queensland, if not, we'll stay put in our lovely house with our lovely friends and family around us. At the moment I think it'll be the latter but my motto is 'never say never' so who knows at this point.

Gail

Luke

I feel like I have no choice to go back. It's costs the price of a small car to take a family of 4 back for a trip each year. I can't cut every one off and I'm no happier in Melbourne that I was in the UK so I think what's the point of being here. The winter is cold and wet here and every year I think I'd rather have a UK winter because at lease I have halloween, bonfire night, christmas, and all our birthdays to look forward to and keep me busy. Now if we could get work in the Gold Coast I might think it was worth it as we love it there. Our work skills are needed in big cities so commuting from Brissy is out of the question. There's loads of work for us in Brissy and we've considered moving there but we'd still have the same problem regarding yearly visits to the UK. We've decided to go home for at least a year after citizenship. If we feel we've made a mistake and we miss Oz we'll move to Queensland, if not, we'll stay put in our lovely house with our lovely friends and family around us. At the moment I think it'll be the latter but my motto is 'never say never' so who knows at this point.

Gail

Well Gail, good luck whatever you choose to do! I can see what you mean about Melbourne winters though lots of people have said that about the climate in Melbourne in general that it's not great and not unlike the British weather at times!

None of us really know what's coming when we set out on our little ventures overseas. Sorry if I caused any offense/controversy...

L

Wow Gail!

I remember we "Pm'd" each other some time ago and discovered we are from the same place, well Wallasey for me, Prenton for you. You have just written my story , i could not beleive it!

I did come here early i was 22 and Oz has been very good to us, we would certainly go back morgage free and in a good position. The only differance is my parents are here as is my brother, however this does not make it easier. I watch my parents in particular and feel so guilty that they are here with only us and a couple of friends, when they should be having their final years back with the people they have known all their life! I also, now at this age have gotten over the "adventure" and you know to be back home where the people you have known all your life are just around the corner seems so appealing to me know. But what about where to head too? I cannot imagine having the patience to put up with no work on Merseyside! I would love to hear more of your thoughts on this as it appears we are going thru the same thing. I do have a long time friend over there who would love to move to Melb and we have considered swapping houses for 12 months to see how we both feel, the other problem in my 12 year old daughter she was born here and only knows here, she has been to the UK before only twice and says she does not like it (i think she is just scared incase we do go) do you take away here opportunities? My husband also would prefer to stay here. Oh i had no idea 22 years down the track it would be so hard!

Joy

Wow Gail!

I remember we "Pm'd" each other some time ago and discovered we are from the same place, well Wallasey for me, Prenton for you. You have just written my story , i could not beleive it!

I did come here early i was 22 and Oz has been very good to us, we would certainly go back morgage free and in a good position. The only differance is my parents are here as is my brother, however this does not make it easier. I watch my parents in particular and feel so guilty that they are here with only us and a couple of friends, when they should be having their final years back with the people they have known all their life! I also, now at this age have gotten over the "adventure" and you know to be back home where the people you have known all your life are just around the corner seems so appealing to me know. But what about where to head too? I cannot imagine having the patience to put up with no work on Merseyside! I would love to hear more of your thoughts on this as it appears we are going thru the same thing. I do have a long time friend over there who would love to move to Melb and we have considered swapping houses for 12 months to see how we both feel, the other problem in my 12 year old daughter she was born here and only knows here, she has been to the UK before only twice and says she does not like it (i think she is just scared incase we do go) do you take away here opportunities? My husband also would prefer to stay here. Oh i had no idea 22 years down the track it would be so hard!

Joy

I think the longer you are stuck here and can see no way out, the harder it gets. Dont worry about the kids - one of mine went back at 16 for a trip and said "never again" and was on the plane with a one way ticket at 20. That one did eventually come back and is now stuck here with a partner who wont move and a child and a baby on the way but he looks with longing at his big brother who has a much more interesting life in UK.

I think it must be so much harder for you guys too because you cant go home as often as I do - when you have a family to take it gets very expensive. I will be faced with taking 6 next year and am saving up hard.

I totally agree with you we (my OH, two children) didn't leave England cause we didn't like it we did it for an adventure that has turned into 3 years now. I am so homesick, I have returned twice with the kids not my OH as too expensive. This time I felt like i was so home could of quite happily stayed and not returned to Oz, was lucky and got my flight cancelled due to the volcano i jumped for joy, but then suffered with the most horrendous jet lag coming back. Its not that I don't like it here I do have lots of friends love the weather but miss my old friends and my family and ill dad and I also feel isolated cut off from the rest of the world.

There are lots of reasons to go which we are after we get citizenship, 13 months to go. We have the house up for sale now ready to go into rented and are currently waiting on a house sale to go through in England. Every single day I think about going back.

We have missed so many events, weddings, new babies etc you can't replace all that. We also do think we should see it out for citizenship then if we or our children ever want to return then its easier for us. I personally think once we return we won't be coming back I crave Europe and my holidays back there. This site has been great to see other people in the same thought process!!!

I didnt miss UK for the first 10 years, had fun, saw lots, went all over but now there is nothing to keep me here at all except a husband. I go home every year, sometimes twice a year but that is expensive and in my old age it isnt the doddle, hefting the backpack, that it used to be when I was younger. It is getting to be too far now both financially and physically. Over the past 31 years we had my parents every year for 15 years until they got too old, an aunt and uncle once, one friend twice, two friends once and another aunt once ... that's about it, family and friends wouldnt/couldnt come. I missed the death of my grandmother, several aunts and uncles and a cousin. I missed the birth of all of my cousins' kids and my friends' kids and now am missing their grandkids. I missed the weddings of most of my friends and all of my cousins. Yup, much too far!

We missed the boat really - just kept on keeping on when Aus was in the doldrums economically and it would have been financial suicide to have gone back. I really regret that.

My son went back to UK for a post uni gap year - 8 years ago this month - and has been back for a couple of short holidays but cant wait to get back to UK each time. So much more to do, places to go, people to see etc. He lived in London for 4 years and loved the buzz and had a great career opportunity and ended up with a much better future than if he had stayed in Australia. He and his fiance are almost on the property ladder, he has a better car than I have ever had, they do a couple of overseas trips a year (Portugal, Egypt, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Belgium) and regularly do UK weekend breaks. His passport is a darn sight more interesting than mine these days!

I just dont get the "better opportunities in Australia" thing. It's a small pond, far away from the rest of the western world.

Quoll . of all the people who post on here , i empathise with you the most .......next time you are " home " .....around the

midlands m42 area .....give me a call .....we will have a chat and a cup of coffee or tea AQND PUT THE WORLD TO RIGHTS

PS just come out the pub ......Andy

Guest sh7t man no way

yup aus is far to far away--people dont relize that till they live there-its allright saying you only 24hrs away from loved ones--but the reality is the time of work/the cost/the tiredness,and the emotional upheaval--its not like a 2 hour drive in the UK to see loved ones where you can go there,and be back in time for dinner--its a shame aus is to far away, other than that fact it would make it a far better place to live

Quoll . of all the people who post on here , i empathise with you the most .......next time you are " home " .....around the

midlands m42 area .....give me a call .....we will have a chat and a cup of coffee or tea AQND PUT THE WORLD TO RIGHTS

PS just come out the pub ......Andy

LOL, wish I had known that earlier this year - got stuck on the M42 while being clever and avoiding the M4 (Cornwall to Cambridge). I could have done with a coffee and a chat but instead, once I had got off the M42, found myself in another jam back on the M42 going in the opposite direction and ended up going up the M5 and around the top of Birmingham to get back down to Cambridge. I was going really well for time until that point! I might be up in the Stourbridge area visiting a friend unless she comes down to see me this time!

Yep it sure is. Can't afford to visit family, and find that difficult to accept. I was totally naive when we came thinking we would all visit often. We struggle here with day to day living, and the kids and us are in need of a break. I am glad for the peeps that have settled here, and wish I was one of them.

Pity the flights are so high here, my mum came out with Emrites for less than £500.00.

Liz

:wacko:

yup aus is far to far away--people dont relize that till they live there-its allright saying you only 24hrs away from loved ones--but the reality is the time of work/the cost/the tiredness,and the emotional upheaval--its not like a 2 hour drive in the UK to see loved ones where you can go there,and be back in time for dinner--its a shame aus is to far away, other than that fact it would make it a far better place to live

I agree. I don't usually poke my head into this part of the forum but this is something that is on my mind at the moment. Not because I think it's too far away but because I'm a little fed up with hearing that from some of my family back in the UK who are giving that as a reason for not coming to visit and yet expect it of me. And worse, as a reason for not calling me to let me know about a family emergency because of the time difference. :huh:

My family regularly ask me when will I be coming back to visit them - forgetting completely that I'm in no hurry to take that flight again even though it is as Petals said, just like a [loooooong] trip to the dentist. But... with the exception of my sister and her other half, none of them would make the trip themselves and would likely expect me to faff about driving all over the country to see them just as your family did, Gail. I do feel for you because your trip to the UK sounded like hard work when it should have been a holiday!

Like Petals, I really don't mind the distance and truthfully rather like it. However, I was surprised that those little moments of frustrations with family communications are just as irksome when you live a world away as they are when you are right there!

Guest famousfive

We feel it is too far away if you would like to visit home with kids.When we lived in IRL we could not,as a family,afford to visit Aus family on a regular basis and likewise here we are not in a position to visit more than once every 5yrs,if we were staying.We have had no visitors and at this stage do not expect to have before we return next year.My friends and family do not have much interest in coming to OZ and those that had an interest did the 1yr visit before settling down.

My older brother came while we were here a number of years ago,showed up to walk me down the aisle,landed the night before the wedding and told no one but his wife in IRL,I nearly collapsed with the shock,it was a lovely surprise as I had no other family here.My nephew has been thinking of coming over,I told him he better get his skates on if he wants a bed at our house.

It can be a burden on some families at home who want to see us expats because for many they must make the journey as us intrepid travellers cannot afford the trip.I only just started seeing it in this light recently after talking to a friend and dare I say it may be worth a thought for others too.Do family who visit actually like coming to Aus or is it the only[expensive] way they get to see you after you move?Just a thought to stir the pot on this glorious winters day of sunshine.Pimms anyone?

My older brother came while we were here a number of years ago,showed up to walk me down the aisle,landed the night before the wedding and told no one but his wife in IRL,I nearly collapsed with the shock,it was a lovely surprise as I had no other family here.My nephew has been thinking of coming over,I told him he better get his skates on if he wants a bed at our house.

That is a fantastic story and brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful brother you have. :wubclub:

I'm looking forward to meeting my nephew and hope that he will be as keen to travel as his parents are (my little sis and her other half) so I can spend some time with him once he gets the back-packing bug when he reaches his 20s (about 20 years from now though... LOL).

Guest JulieW

Yes, it's definitely too far away, not only from England but from the rest of the western world. Australian is a western country but stuck in the wrong hemisphere and the wrong time zone. It tries to reposition itself as part of Asian but it simply isn't. This is why things are often sold as 'the biggest xxx in the southern hemisphere'' which always makes me laugh. All the relevant competition is in the northern hemisphere so the boast is pretty meaningless. When the Socceroos (worst team name ever?) play Asian teams, noone is interested but everyone knows the EPL teams and players.

Archived