Other Family visas: Cutbacks and Delays

Hi guys,

Why aren't there any update info. on new cap on DIAC website yet? I'm so impatient :wacko:

Hi day09

Nothing's news for me until now!!! :(Probably we have to wait more! New planning program was exported in May that there're 1250 Other Family visas are going to be released in this financial year ( 2011 - 2012 ).

The cap will be activated whenever in this financial year once the department reaches that number of visas that could be granted!!

Anything changed will be made in next couple weeks on its website, I think

Cheers

Dan

Guest koolfirezz

Hey all, I've applied remaining relative visa (offshore) for my sister through Migration Agent on 30/06/2011 and received file number, case officer name & time frame (aim to finalise the application within 10 months) today.

Does anyone know regarding the interview requirement for this visa. Please advise.

Many thanks

Hey all, I've applied remaining relative visa (offshore) for my sister through Migration Agent on 30/06/2011 and received file number, case officer name & time frame (aim to finalise the application within 10 months) today.

Does anyone know regarding the interview requirement for this visa. Please advise.

Many thanks

I will be advised of interview if they require!! Not sure about time frame from your Migration Agent. Following official DIAC website, any applications that be applied after April 2011, its waiting time would be 10.5 years!!! :(

Details at here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/other-family-visa-queue.htm

Good luck on your sis

Guest koolfirezz

Thank you for the wish & info link Dan :-)

Time frame 10 months was given by Immi (I got this info from acknowledgment letter & also mentioned about may require to attend interview etc...)

Fingers crossed, best of luck to all .........

Hi all LRR

Like you I have been checking the website endlessly to see if they have updated the figures to reflect the 2011-2012 quota and whether it will have any effect on the waiting times. I have also been wondering whether anyone who uses this forum has had their LRR visa granted since they made the changes?

Cheers Arilla

Well maybe there is hope for us afterall!!

Koolfrezz - would you mind pasting a copy of the acknowledgement letter from Immi stating this? Its just that we have all been told obviously much longer timescales and your post brings a glimmer of hope to us all!

Also were you given a queue date?

Time frame 10 months was given by Immi (I got this info from acknowledgment letter & also mentioned about may require to attend interview etc...)

I think there's not balance between offshore and onshore applications, it means priority would be given to offshore ones. My acknowledgment does not show anything regarding the time frame or case officer details!! I heard someone had applied offshore after me but just got LRR visa within 4 months!!! :wink:

Sounds ridiculous!!! :err:

God knows how much the new planning level effect for waiting times in this financial year ( 2011 - 2012 ) when they still keep being silent now!! Just remind all guys that we are ( who apply for Other Family category ) in lowest level of Family stream!!! :biggrin:

Hi koolfirezz,

Would you mind telling us about your sister's case? Is there any special consideration about your sister's case, which helps to push the progress that quickly?

Thanks.

Hey Guys,

I haven't heard anything from IMMI yet. I applied onshore in feb 2010 and I haven't even been appointed a case officer nor been put on the queue (which is making me very frustrated), so I have decided to go and have my medicals done and send it to IMMI and see what they have to say. Hopefully that might make them to at least appoint a case officer for me.

Hey Guys,

I haven't heard anything from IMMI yet. I applied onshore in feb 2010 and I haven't even been appointed a case officer nor been put on the queue (which is making me very frustrated), so I have decided to go and have my medicals done and send it to IMMI and see what they have to say. Hopefully that might make them to at least appoint a case officer for me.

Whilst I understand your frustration it might not be the best move to get your medicals done if not asked. You could still be waiting and then have to pay out to get them again.

I know that would just make me madder, long wait & double costs!

Whilst I understand your frustration it might not be the best move to get your medicals done if not asked. You could still be waiting and then have to pay out to get them again.

I know that would just make me madder, long wait & double costs!

Yeah I know it's a risk, but I'm willing to take it. I'm not frustrated at not getting an outcome, it's the lack of appointing a case officer or being on a queue that drives me crazy. From what I gather, lots of people seem to be getting their case officers appointed in days after lodging their application (even people who have applied after me). I just completely don't get that. Why would immi appoint a case officer for someone (onshore application) who applied way later after I did and yet wouldn't appoint one for me?

[end of rant]

If I end up staying here for another year or so doing what I'm doing, I might actually qualify to apply for permanent residency through a different category :confused:

Ok, I rang IMMI and the girl over the phone told me that I haven't been put on a queue. She also advised me that the waiting periods have gone up to 10 years now.

Hi lazybones1987

Did you give your details to her??? They might check the situation of your application with client number, your name or password number. Then they require you to tell your address for confirmation. With your lodgement period, I do not think you have to wait up 10 years to get decision!! That's so ridiculous!!! :mad:

I did call up to them many times but have never received the answer likes that!! Remember I and you are on the same boat of applying time!! :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would update this thread with some further comms I have had with my CO at London. My queue date for LRR visa is 14 July 2010 so according to immi website my waiting time is between 1.5 and 2.5 years. I emailed my CO as I wanted to understand if the additional 500 visas for 2011-12 would decrease waiting times. The response was not encouraging in the 'most of the LRR visas for 2011-12 were allocated to Carer Visas' and that 'at the moment, the visa processing time remains as per the website'

all the best,

Derrick

Guest videoland

Hi Derrick,

I'm in the same boat with queue date 20 April 2010 and still nothing :) can you post the answer from the CO please I'm curious what they answer?

BTW when did you apply for LLR visa?

Cheers

Hi Videoland,

CO reply: "Most of the allocations for the 2011/2012 program year are for carer applications so at this time it is unlikely to change processing times but the website will continue to be updated with any changes"

My queue date is 14 July 2010

Thanks for your update, Derrick!! Really be disappointed to hear it!! Do not know what's going on with us in next periods when be trained more and more patience in waiting times!!! :mad:

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would update this thread with some further comms I have had with my CO at London. My queue date for LRR visa is 14 July 2010 so according to immi website my waiting time is between 1.5 and 2.5 years. I emailed my CO as I wanted to understand if the additional 500 visas for 2011-12 would decrease waiting times. The response was not encouraging in the 'most of the LRR visas for 2011-12 were allocated to Carer Visas' and that 'at the moment, the visa processing time remains as per the website'

all the best,

Derrick

That is really disappointing. My understanding was that all Other Family Visas were treated the same as there could be a compelling arguement for each Visa. I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster, good news with extra no. of Visas & followed by news that most have already been allocated.

Hey everyone...

I can't offer any good news as I haven't heard anything yet...

I just want to say to everyone 'HANG IN THERE...' Yes, it's very frustrating and yes, it feels as though life has to be put on hold but at least we have started the process. They haven't said no to us, and as long as we toe the line and behave and stay within the limitations of this visa we will be fine.

LRR is the visa that has the lowest priority within the Other Family category, and as such, we just have to be patient.

Hopefully some good news is just around the corner...

Keep smiling :)

Cx

Hi

My sister applied for LRR on 5th July and was told that she would be allocated a CO in 8 weeks. What does this mean ? Will her application be processed now or if not now when ? Anyone knows ?

Hi Ozzieland

That's fair enough. It's the normal time ( 4 - 8 weeks ) for new applications to be assigned for assessment. If any application is found that meet the core requirements to be granted visa, it will be given the queue day and place in the queue! The queue applications then will be granted visa when the visa places become available. The cap will be acted at anytime during the program year once the number of granted visa reached. Details of processing time, cap and queue day are on IMMI's website:

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/21managing.htm

The current cap and queue of Other Family visa at here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/other-family-visa-queue.htm

Good luck to your sis's case

Cheers

Hey guys, slightly off topic but does anyone what's the policy on traveling abroad while on a Bridging Visa for someone who has applied for a Remaining Relative visa onshore?

p.s. No case officer has been appointed.

Hi Lazybones1987

You still be able to travel oversea anytime if you want during your application is being processed by Bridging visa B that allows you could re-entry to AUS lawfully!! Once you leave AUS, your Bridging visa A is ceased and you have to have that to return!

Before you are going to travel, see your nearest IMMI's office to be granted Bridging visa B with fee about 95 AUD and no more 3 months for your traveling period!!!

Enjoy your travel!!! :biggrin:

Cheers

Dan

Hi

My sister applied for LRR on 5th July and was told that she would be allocated a CO in 8 weeks. What does this mean ? Will her application be processed now or if not now when ? Anyone knows ?

Hi Ozzieland,

I think Daniel's reply is not totally correct. (sorry Dan i am just trying to present my thoughts)

After I lodged my applications offshore 6-8 weeks, I got a Receipt of Acknowledgment from Australian Embassy, and they passed my application to a CO. She contacted and asked me to undergo Medical Exam and Police Checks. I was so glad to do all of those requests, and then the officer emailed me that all results were received.

And then, they professionally announce that my application had been locked in the safe extremely carefully, and I will be more than welcome to be put on the queue in Only 10+ years. Then they ended their announcement politely by a sentence: "Do not hesitate to contact me."

I do no dare to get married now and even in 10 years. Do not know what this leads my life to, when Australia; the most well-known on the Earth, which is made by soil, for humaniarism; asks me - an extremely lonely and weak girl - to wait for 10+ years just in order to reunite with my family.