Other Family visas: Cutbacks and Delays

Does anyone have any updates to share? Any progress for those who have been asked to lodge their Assurance of Support?

Hi People....

Does anyone have any updates to share??? No posts recently but know there is so many in a similar situation.

Can people let us know what time frame has been from when they issued their assurance of support till when they were issued there visas or whether they are still waiting and how long has it been since their AoS please?

I am really worried about this as always believed that once you were given a Case Officer, the AoS was the final hurdle, then you got issued the Visa?????/ However reading some posts, this does not seam to be the case??? Would love to hear peoples experiences so far please..many thanks

Hi Ryanshaw, did you ever end up getting a reply in the end????

Not from his constituency office.

However, I had a meeting with my local federal MP just after the election. She agreed that the treatment of people who had visas withdrawn after posting an Aos was unfair, and she thought that Scott Morrison (the new immigration Minister) would agree. She has agreed to take it up personally with him. She did state that if there are cost consequences he may not be able to change it even if he wants to (eg the Treasury runs the Government) but she did mention that the issue was that Labor Ministers simply didn't look at the detail at all and let the civil servants run the department, which is why things like this happened.

I would STRONGLY suggest that all those in the same boat visit (in person) their local FEDERAL MP and ask them to make the same representation. If the Minsiters office hears this from multiple sources they are much more likely to change it. Remember that the change of Minister and Government make it much easier to justify a change to policy.

My personal view is that this might be resolved in next years release of visas - eg around July 2014. I certainly pushed the point that the Department need to release enough visa's to clear the backlog of people released from the queue. My MP also agreed with the point that the LRR visa was a valid visa category, approved by parliament, and that she was concerned that visa numbers had been reduced to the level that made it useless for any new applicants.

I would STRONGLY suggest that all those in the same boat visit (in person) their local FEDERAL MP and ask them to make the same representation.

I emailed my local MP and I have not received any reply. Given that I'm not an Australian citizen, do you think the MPs would care about such issues or even bother listening to non-citizens?

• 2 months later...
Guest Instam

Does anyone heard about all the 115 class applications are now send to Seoul, Korea to proceed?

I saw peoples discussed this matter in other forum and they got official notification about this.

Changes to family stream visa processing for applicants sponsored by illegal maritime arrivals

Family stream visa applications sponsored by permanent visa holders who arrived in Australia as illegal maritime arrivals (IMAs) will now be given the lowest processing priority. This means their applications will not be processed for several years.​

On 19 December 2013 the Minister for Immigration and Border Protection issued new processing priorities within the Family stream of the migration programme.​

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/08/refugees-family-reunion-hopes-dashed

i have 2 brothers(Australian citizens) ,mother(permanent resident ) and father( passed away in 1988) who all in australia. My queue date has been assigned in august 2013. Im in 27 years old now and have completed BSc in srilanka. I'm planning to go by student visa soon . Is it a good option or not?because my brothers already spent lots of money to take my mother by career visa in 2010,If i go by student visa, i have to pay much higher amount. Or According to the new rule, ill get the R&Rvisa soon ??

Edited by Nirosh86

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I have applied for 835 remaining relative visa and from reading all the posts on here there doesn't seem to be any sort of order to the granting of this visa have any of you got dependents on your visa? and if so how long have you been waiting?

Thanks in advance

Lil

Guest Victor007

Hello everyone,

Anyone can tell me when Remaining Relative Visa usually to be released in which month per year? Thanks in advance for your help!

Guest Victor007

Thank you so much. Actually, I'm also the one who has been assigned in a queue date since February 2013 and until now, I haven't heard any further news and it is said that "Remaining Relative Visa" is expected to be longer and longer. So if there is any news about it, let's share each other.

Thank you so much. Actually, I'm also the one who has been assigned in a queue date since February 2013 and until now, I haven't heard any further news and it is said that "Remaining Relative Visa" is expected to be longer and longer. So if there is any news about it, let's share each other.

[h=2]Priority given to family stream visas[/h]Applications for family stream visas are prioritised depending on which visa you apply for. The following are examples of the priorities given to various visa categories.

For primary applicants of an Australian sponsor, priority is given in the following order:

• Partner or child

• orphan relatives

• contributory parents

• carers.

Priority is then given to those applying for parent visas, remaining relative and aged dependent relative visas.

Within each Family Stream visa category, applicants sponsored by a permanent visa holder who entered Australia as an illegal maritime arrival (IMA) are given the lowest processing priority.

Note: There is no exception for affected family members facing compelling or compassionate circumstances. All other applications are generally considered in order of the date of lodgement.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m unable to understand the logic of the processing time ....I have been already waited 3 years in order to get the RRV(Queue date has been assigned in august 2013)..... When i applied, i was 25 years old and now almost 28 .I'm the only person left in srilanka in my family and i have graduated from university also. i have already sacrificed government working opportunity in srilanka(rather than wasting another one chance) in order to settle in australia with my very own family ... I always feel frustration, dissatisfaction and depression about this visa .. Loneliness is the silent killer in my life. No body ready to talk about the longer period of processing time ... Rather than waiting for this kind of period, we can withdraw our applications and forget about family members as well. People are asking question from me that your family members in Australia and, what are u doing in srilanka??? How to answer for this kind of questions????? I can tell them about the queue date definition where " i have passed the exams but no place available in the migration program”..... I don’t know how many years I’m going to tell the same answer to peoples… Oh My God

All you can do is tell them the truth - Australia limits which occupations it accepts for skilled migration and unfortunately yours isn't one of them, and the family sponsored visas have a very long queue.

There's nothing you can do to change Australia's visa rules, so all you can do is work with them. If it's possible perhaps you can either get qualified in another occupation that may allow you to get skilled migration. Otherwise all you can do is wait for your place in the queue and be glad if you qualify for the family sponsored visa.

• 1 month later...

More bad news people. Even after so many complaints about the small number of visas allocated to the remaining relative category, IMMI have decided to further reduce the number of visas for the 2014-2015 year to 500 places. This figure includes aged dependent and carer visas.

https://www.immi.gov.au/media/statistics/statistical-info/visa-grants/migrant.htm

And ... it looks like new applications won't be possible from an as yet unknown date, but likely to be the end of next month:

The 2014‑15 Migration Programme will have 190,000 places and maintain the composition of 128,550 Skilled Stream places, 60,885 Family Stream places and 565 Special Eligibility Stream places.

The Skilled Stream will continue to focus on Australia's longer term skills needs, including addressing skills shortages in regional Australia.

The Family Stream will refocus on meeting the increasing demand for close family reunions. The additional partner and child places will be made available as a result of the cessation of new applications from the other family and parent (non‑contributory) places. This cessation will also enable faster processing of existing applications.

(Source: http://www.budget.gov.au/2014-15/content/bp2/html/bp2_expense-16.htm , scroll down to Migration Programme — allocation of places for 2014‑15)

Best regards.

Guest Instam

I know that there is a facebook group in China discussing this issue. All of the Chinese applications of 115 class had been passed to Korea as collection point for further processing this year.

Edited by Instam

Guest Instam

I have sent an enquiry of 115 (other family visa) visa places at the facebook group of Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

Maybe we can voice out our situation and let more ppl know via the group, below is the link or you may access to facebook and search "Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection":

https://www.facebook.com/DIBPAustralia?fref=nf

Guest Instam

Bad news , from http://www.immi.gov.au/LIVE/PAGES/CERTAIN-FAMILY-VISAS-CLOSURE.ASPX

The visas have long processing queues. Based on current planning levels, an applicant for a Parent or Aged Parent visa can expect to wait around 13 years before being considered for the grant of a visa after being allocated a queue date while an applicant for an Other Family visa can expect a waiting time of between four years (for a Carer visa) and 16 years (for a Remaining Relative and Aged Dependent Relative visa). These waiting periods reflect the significant number of visa applications in comparison to the limited number of visa places available each Migration Programme year.

If you have already applied or apply before the date of cessation of new applications your application will continue to be processed under existing regulations and policy. Note that the Parent and Other Family visas are subject to annual planning levels. In 2014-15, 1500 places have been allocated to Parent and 500 places to Other Family. You can expect to wait up to 13 years for a Parent or Aged Parent visa, four years for a Carer visa and up to 16 years for a Aged Dependent Relative or Remaining Relative visa.

Certain eligible dependent family members, such as a partner or dependent children can be added to an existing undecided application. You will need to provide evidence of the relationship, including dependency.

hello,

i logged my carers 116 application in sep 2012, i attended a interview in london jan 2013 and last April i was contacted and asked to provide police checks and attend my medical, which i did and forwarded all documents to my CO in london, to date the visa has not progressed further, does this mean i have passed the queue date stage for providing police checks etc? anytime i contact my CO, they state they can not tell me any further info until they receive news from australia, its the not knowing where we stand that is the worst? if we even knew where are in the queue. anyone with any experience in the 116 visa advise if i am remotely close to obtaining this visa? any advice very greatly appreciated.

Tony

Bad news , from http://www.immi.gov.au/LIVE/PAGES/CERTAIN-FAMILY-VISAS-CLOSURE.ASPX

The visas have long processing queues. Based on current planning levels, an applicant for a Parent or Aged Parent visa can expect to wait around 13 years before being considered for the grant of a visa after being allocated a queue date while an applicant for an Other Family visa can expect a waiting time of between four years (for a Carer visa) and 16 years (for a Remaining Relative and Aged Dependent Relative visa). These waiting periods reflect the significant number of visa applications in comparison to the limited number of visa places available each Migration Programme year.

If you have already applied or apply before the date of cessation of new applications your application will continue to be processed under existing regulations and policy. Note that the Parent and Other Family visas are subject to annual planning levels. In 2014-15, 1500 places have been allocated to Parent and 500 places to Other Family. You can expect to wait up to 13 years for a Parent or Aged Parent visa, four years for a Carer visa and up to 16 years for a Aged Dependent Relative or Remaining Relative visa.

Certain eligible dependent family members, such as a partner or dependent children can be added to an existing undecided application. You will need to provide evidence of the relationship, including dependency.

hello,

i logged my carers 116 application in sep 2012, i attended a interview in london jan 2013 and last April i was contacted and asked to provide police checks and attend my medical, which i did and forwarded all documents to my CO in london, to date the visa has not progressed further, does this mean i have passed the queue date stage for providing police checks etc? anytime i contact my CO, they state they can not tell me any further info until they receive news from australia, its the not knowing where we stand that is the worst? if we even knew where are in the queue. anyone with any experience in the 116 visa advise if i am remotely close to obtaining this visa? any advice very greatly appreciated.

Tony

hello,

Tony

Hi,Tony

I also applied my carer visa application on Dec 2011, have you received a queue date by email? if not,then it means you haven't passed the queue date stage.By the immigration website, it says releasing from queue date March 2013,so If you haven't got a queue date, according to them you may wait up to 4years.

Hi,Tony

I also applied my carer visa application on Dec 2011, have you received a queue date by email? if not,then it means you haven't passed the queue date stage.By the immigration website, it says releasing from queue date March 2013,so If you haven't got a queue date, according to them you may wait up to 4years.

you have applied Dec 2011, have you got a queue date? I have not revived a queue date by e mail, but why call us and get us to get medical etc done if we have had to wait so long and will probably need them done again? when they called they did mentioned that we had been released from the queue. But I don’t know if this is the same thing