UK iPhone in Aus

ZeroBantam

Hi

I'm off to Sydney at the end of August and i'm currently planning on taking my current iPhone with me (3gs 4.0)....does anyone know i can get this unliocked easily once i get to Sydney??

Cheers

Andy

Get it done before you leave, it will be nigh on impossible to get it unlocked here. Try your telco I think they should be able to do it for you as you are leaving the country. For other phones I have always used a "little man in the market" but I dont know that they do iphones.

Guest lollypop

I took my iphone with me. i went on the internet and paid a small fee got a code and unblocked it myself it was really easy, then bought a boost sim although if you are traveling telstra is the best for coverage.

Guest JK2510

Thanks for all the info. I hope that very soon i will be granted my visa and will need this info!

Can anyone else not post on PIO whilst using there i Phone. I can onlt thank people and friend request! It wont allow me to type anything!

Thanks

Get it done before you leave, it will be nigh on impossible to get it unlocked here. Try your telco I think they should be able to do it for you as you are leaving the country. For other phones I have always used a "little man in the market" but I dont know that they do iphones.

Apparantly if you get it unblocked unofficially, it will work but won't necessarily accept the updates that apple release for it. Well worth the minor fee to pay for it doing officially just in case.

Just found this video for jailbreaking all iPhones running IOS 4.0 and higher. No need to plug it into a computer. The phone can be jailbroken via safari. After that the phone can be unlocked through Cydia (which is installed when the phone is jailbroken, like the app store but for jailbreak apps)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uQcuRzggLc&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uQcuRzggLc&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Guest lcys2460

I used the unblock service on saturday on the O2 website and had a text within 24 hours confirming it was done. Trouble is how do you test it?

Your right, its free only if your on a 'contract' but otherwise is £15 on PAYG.

What options are there when buying a sim? I've had a look at the website but getting stuck on terminology and 'what the deals actually mean.

I was wondering if I could order online before I go and have delivered to my mates so ready to use from day 1? Anyone done this?

I used the unblock service on saturday on the O2 website and had a text within 24 hours confirming it was done. Trouble is how do you test it?

What options are there when buying a sim? I've had a look at the website but getting stuck on terminology and 'what the deals actually mean.

I was wondering if I could order online before I go and have delivered to my mates so ready to use from day 1? Anyone done this?

I think you have to plug your phone into Itunes and it does something. We havent actually tested the Iphone with a non o2 sim.- its on the list for the next couple of days.

Afro Developer.....Cheers for that mate! Looks like that will do the trick!

On the O2 unblock.....i think thats just for your SIM card not the actual phone, though if someone knows better let me know!

Thanks for all the replys to this :0)

Why bother to order online? You can walk into pretty much any telco shop here and get one instantly - you will need to get enough data though - check your bills to see how much data you usually use in a month because it gets very expensive if you go over your limit. I think you will need to start with payg and so you can try them out for coverage before you sign your life away on a 2 year contract. I am with Virgin and have been very happy with their coverage but it all depends on where you live. Whirlpool Forums is the place to go for telco discussion.

Afro Developer.....Cheers for that mate! Looks like that will do the trick!

On the O2 unblock.....i think thats just for your SIM card not the actual phone, though if someone knows better let me know!

Thanks for all the replys to this :0)

The phone is what is unlocked so that it can use a different Sim.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh if only you could have waited! Mind you, getting hold of iPhone over here is like trying to get water out of a stone!

For iPhone you probably want to be on Vodafone or 3. They're the same network practically, they're partnered, you can find shops with both 3 and Vodafone in the same. That's what I would go with.

I am having a good time on the Vodafone network here, but I'm not happy with my BlackBerry Storm 9500 and have left an email with a massive complaint about all the things wrong with the device for their customer service team to answer for me!! Grrr. :arghh:

Archived