Personal Photos As Avatars

Guest guest37336

Guest guest37336

What do you reckon, should we all use a personal photos as an avatar, you know like passport photos but allowed to smile.:wink:

I know internet forums are meant to be anonymous if you want, and that is only right and proper, after all not all of us want our pictures for all to see. Some people put their own personal albums on and don't mind being seen to an extent.

But seriously if we all put up personal pictures of ourselves as avatars do you reckon your posts/threads would change. I recently saw a picture of a poster and was gob smacked by what they looked like, in my mind it was a complete opposite to what I expected, not in a bad way by the way.

But we ALL I think have a picture in our minds of the other poster we are responding to, the one that gets me every time is Stevie. I am SURE he does not look anything like his avatar but nonetheless when I am posting to Stevie I still have his avatar in my mind and he makes me laugh.

I know we can pick up a lot of what the person is saying through the tenure of their posts, but if your anything like me when I am writing I still have an image in my mind that I am SURE is nothing like the actual person.

Would a personal avatar make any difference to the way you post. Would you look at such an avatar and think, they look nice, horrible, kind, loving, compassionate etc, and would this then influence what you say to them.

I am not for one minute saying that this is a path we should take, far from it. But as a 'social experiment' I reckon it would tell us a lot. I can only speak for myself, and I m being totally honest here. From what some people say I have in my mind a 'picture' of the person sitting at their keyboard, and no matter what, it is a picture that remains with me no matter what.

Maybe that is wrong, in fact it IS wrong, but that is the way it is.

Cheers Tony:cool::cool:

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi Tony

Although i don't exactly look like the HOFF, i do have a passing resemblence to him. I am 6 feet 3 inch tall, slim - ish, 15stone, i have darkish hair with a bit of a quiff and curlyish, i'm clean shaven and someone actually said that when i was running on the beach they said i reminded them of the HOFF.

It would be interesting to know who they resemble, i did a thread about - which star do you look like, but i think most lied about it, but aboves my description and i think the HOFF is a close call.

Wish i had his money, lolhoff_puppies.jpg

Guest Andy
Ummmmm :embarrassed: that was the first one I could find, if I can find something better I'll put it up.

Tony are you a Rage fan? I hope you helped them get to number one last Christmas :wink:

I think as its summer and nice and hot chickx you should put on a piccie of you in a bikini:shocked:, you are one hot chickx:yes:

Guest Andy
Thanks and ummmm.........NO :wink:

I am only kidding chickx, i am not really a perv:shocked:

well just a little maybe:laugh:

Guest sunnyday

You bloody well are a perv Andy...................she's 19 and you're what nearly 50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink::biglaugh:.

Guest Andy
You bloody well are a perv Andy...................she's 19 and you're what nearly 50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink::biglaugh:.

Anymore of that sunny and i will have to smack your bottom:laugh:, anyway i am 38 you cheeky monkey:biglaugh:, and a fit 38:yes:

Guest sunnyday
Anymore of that sunny and i will have to smack your bottom:laugh:, anyway i am 38 you cheeky monkey:biglaugh:, and a fit 38:yes:

oooh err:biglaugh: I was only kidding I know you are (38 that is, not a perv):wink::wubclub:

Guest Andy
oooh err:biglaugh: I was only kidding I know you are (38 that is, not a perv):wink::wubclub:

:biglaugh::wubclub::hug:

Guest Andy
Is that a size 38 dress fit??

Cheers, Bobj.

No i am a 36 dress size bob, but only on a thursday when the wife is out! :shocked::biggrin:

Guest sunnyday
What do you reckon, should we all use a personal photos as an avatar, you know like passport photos but allowed to smile.:wink:

I know internet forums are meant to be anonymous if you want, and that is only right and proper, after all not all of us want our pictures for all to see. Some people put their own personal albums on and don't mind being seen to an extent.

But seriously if we all put up personal pictures of ourselves as avatars do you reckon your posts/threads would change. I recently saw a picture of a poster and was gob smacked by what they looked like, in my mind it was a complete opposite to what I expected, not in a bad way by the way.

But we ALL I think have a picture in our minds of the other poster we are responding to, the one that gets me every time is Stevie. I am SURE he does not look anything like his avatar but nonetheless when I am posting to Stevie I still have his avatar in my mind and he makes me laugh.

I know we can pick up a lot of what the person is saying through the tenure of their posts, but if your anything like me when I am writing I still have an image in my mind that I am SURE is nothing like the actual person.

Would a personal avatar make any difference to the way you post. Would you look at such an avatar and think, they look nice, horrible, kind, loving, compassionate etc, and would this then influence what you say to them.

I am not for one minute saying that this is a path we should take, far from it. But as a 'social experiment' I reckon it would tell us a lot. I can only speak for myself, and I m being totally honest here. From what some people say I have in my mind a 'picture' of the person sitting at their keyboard, and no matter what, it is a picture that remains with me no matter what.

Maybe that is wrong, in fact it IS wrong, but that is the way it is.

Cheers Tony:cool::cool:

Hi Tony,

I've had my pic on a few times but then get bored and change it to something else!! TBH I only have a pic of someone in my head if I've seen a pic of them or if they've mentioned something about the way they look or if (like stevie) they have a distinct avatar, then I can't help but think thats how they look lol!

Knowing how someone looks wouldn't change how I respond to them, it would just change the image of them in my head (or put one there to start with!) :hug:

Archived