Back in the UK briefly...totally weird

Guest Caitmelbourne

Guest guest30085

Hi Waterkitty

Maybe the trip back is what you need to confirm that you've made the correct decision. Imagine if you didnt take the job and had returned to the UK for good and it just didnt feel 'right'.

Have a lovely stay with your folks and I hope the job goes well on your return to Oz:biggrin:.

:hug: Gill x

Hi Waterkitty

Maybe the trip back is what you need to confirm that you've made the correct decision. Imagine if you didnt take the job and had returned to the UK for good and it just didnt feel 'right'.

Have a lovely stay with your folks and I hope the job goes well on your return to Oz:biggrin:.

:hug: Gill x

Thing is though,imagine if things go tiits up in Oz,and after jetlag you feel you do belong'home',or.......or.............or!!!!!Who knows?:wink:

Hi Waterkitty, Dont take how you are feeling as a clear sign, its only how you are feeling at the particular moment. I went back in Aug last year, it had been 7 years since my last visit. I also felt slightly like i've outgrown this and its an effort to do what i used to do. But it has not changed how i feel back over here. I still miss everything, people, places, accents, humour and its getting harder. The last two years out of 22 years has been the hardest. Yes i saw things over there i hated, but it is home and nothing can change that.

Joy

Guest chris955

It's bound to be weird at first, your brain has become accustomed to a totally different way of life and surroundings. We even found it strange after returning from 2 weeks in America.

Guest lifeinmono
Hi guys

Well I am back in England for a trip to see my folks and try to clear my head before returning to Melbourne to start my new job

I'm staying in Hertfordshire with family & it's beautiful but I feel so strange! Like I don't belong here...can't really describe it & perhaps still jetlagged but I think I made the right decision accepting the job is Aus

Off to raid Primark today :cute:

I agree with previous posters who have suggested that you do not read much meaning into how you are feeling.

I know 100% that I want to go home but I still feel odd when I first get back to the UK on a visit - I think this is simply down to the fact that being back home after a significant amount of months/years in another place is a little surreal for a while. You have invested a lot of energy in acclimatizing to your new environment (e.g. Australia) and to be back in your former, more familiar environment is sort of a shock to the system. I think that the shock is caused by suddenly being able to ''revert to self'' again and relax. At least that's what it is for me.

Hi Waterkitty, Dont take how you are feeling as a clear sign, its only how you are feeling at the particular moment. I went back in Aug last year, it had been 7 years since my last visit. I also felt slightly like i've outgrown this and its an effort to do what i used to do. But it has not changed how i feel back over here. I still miss everything, people, places, accents, humour and its getting harder. The last two years out of 22 years has been the hardest. Yes i saw things over there i hated, but it is home and nothing can change that.

Joy

Joy , you sound like me .....iam home in the uk ,and some things drive me mad .....traffic , overcrowding, chavs ......but then i realise its still a great place .

iam currently watching s africa v mexico .....full time around 5pm ....up the pub (300 yds)...few beers ....back for the 2nd game@ 7.30 .....plus the bloody suns out ,for a change.:biglaugh:its pissing down ,the last few days

ps ...forgot to mention the people here ......bloody great ......most of them have got sweet f.a ,but they are great.

Joy , you sound like me .....iam home in the uk ,and some things drive me mad .....traffic , overcrowding, chavs ......but then i realise its still a great place .

iam currently watching s africa v mexico .....full time around 5pm ....up the pub (300 yds)...few beers ....back for the 2nd game@ 7.30 .....plus the bloody suns out ,for a change.:biglaugh:its pissing down ,the last few days

ps ...forgot to mention the people here ......bloody great ......most of them have got sweet f.a ,but they are great.

get on the clubs kid top comic

Well the jetlag is easing off now...I still don't feel like I belong here just yet. It's lovely seeing family & friends & the UK is buzzing with the world cup, plus you can't beat British Summer in my opinion. Even 17/18 is feeling mild after leaving chilly Melbourne.

But all of this will still be here in a year or two & I feel like I have an adventure to start in Aus. If I had made the decision to move back permanatly I would have really regreted it. Plus spending time in London which is such a transient place for my age group, hearing people's travel plans & the Cities they would like to try out....my heart would have been sinking at the realization I had given up an opportunity to do just that.

I do feel very patriotic now though, when people say 'Wow Aus must be amazing, better than the crap UK' I'm happy to be able to respond with 'Nooooooo, England is fabulous!!!!'

That's great to hear you have opened your thinking _ I hope that the three years we have had here will do that for my kids and that they wont necessarily stay in UK. My eldest is planning to go to Africa for three months next year and middle one is keen to do his internship in Japan or USA - they now understand what living abroad is like and I hope they will adapt more quickly to new cultures and enjoy them for what they are. There is a big wide world out there.

My husband is back in the UK now and started work yesterday - he said it was great everyone really kind to him - but very moany!! I think I will have to get used that bluntness again.

I know what you mean. When i go back home all my friends have nothing, some working two or three jobs just to pay for the small house and live week by week. But you know one of friends said to me last year when i was there, she said" we have nothing but god i'm happy!) that says it all for me. She has people around her she has known all her life and they will be there till her last day. There is nothing like it. It may sound a bit morbid, but in actual fact when you live away from those attitudes you realise how much it really means in life. Don't get me wrong i cannot fault Oz it has been very good to us, but its not home!

Well the jetlag is easing off now...I still don't feel like I belong here just yet. It's lovely seeing family & friends & the UK is buzzing with the world cup, plus you can't beat British Summer in my opinion. Even 17/18 is feeling mild after leaving chilly Melbourne.

But all of this will still be here in a year or two & I feel like I have an adventure to start in Aus. If I had made the decision to move back permanatly I would have really regreted it. Plus spending time in London which is such a transient place for my age group, hearing people's travel plans & the Cities they would like to try out....my heart would have been sinking at the realization I had given up an opportunity to do just that.

I do feel very patriotic now though, when people say 'Wow Aus must be amazing, better than the crap UK' I'm happy to be able to respond with 'Nooooooo, England is fabulous!!!!'

hia waterkitty

glad to see that you are enjoying your trip back and no regrets on taking the job must catch up with you when you come back to melbourne x

enjoy the sun its freeeezzzinnn here ¬

enjoy primark asda tesco !!!! and have a gregs pasty for me !!

love carole

Archived