Budget Baby equipment where to buy?

lsbc1976

Im going to be having my baby in Australia by the looks of things :biggrin:

Ive been online browsing for baby equipment and everything seems really expensive.

Im on my 3rd kid and dont want the all singing all dancing vibrating paddded to within an inch of its life stuff, i just want a basic range that functions.

All the shops i find seem to be botiques or else they carry cots at $600 not including matterss.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, we will be in WA btw and will need somewhere that will deliver to Margaret River

Where are you headed? There's a Toys R Us in the Gold Coast and I thought it was pretty reasonable when out on our reccie, as I bought a pushchair and it was a similar price to the UK.

Shaz

just realised you have SA SS, but sure there would be a Toys R Us somewhere near where you are going. Try googling them.

Hi, I was recently in the same situation, 4th child, and not wanting the all singing all dancing thins..just basic/ very difficult to find reasonable prices as compared to the UK. Even Baby on a Budget shocked me with the prices. I tended to go to Target and K Mart. Also look on Ebay...you get some good deals on there. We do have Babies r us in Perth at the Toys are us store..they are quite reasonable and I think they do online shopping.

Hope all goes well and good luck.

xxx

Guest gary12

There is mothercare here in VIC, you can buy online for delivery charge of $25 per order I think

www.mothercare.com.au

my advice though if you are still in the UK is to stock up as much on the basics as you can, I think basic baby items ie babygros etc (which you can pick up cheap in Asda, Primark, Tesco etc) are expensive for what they are.

Best of luck with the baby

Michelle

I've not really got any advise other than I'm with you on this one! I can't believe how expensive it is for baby equipment. (and everything else!!!) Thankfully we saved 200 pounds buying our stroller for our 9 months old before we left. A changing mat over here costs $25 and Johnsons baby bath etc cost about 8 pounds. I'm still shoping around for wet wipes which are about 4 pounds a pack plus they all smell so overpowering. It's taking a lot of getting used to the different prices and products. Also nappies seem so hard and rigid - managed to find some pampers in Woolworths but they don't quite seem the same quality.

I found Babiesrus really expensive, pumkin patch are also overpriced, and it's really annoying how they list on the tag the price for the UK when your're not paying anywhere near. I bought a few outfits yesterday which added up to $95, but when I added up the UK prices it was 46 pounds!

Sorry vent over, hope you don't mind me having a winge!

Guest gary12

Pumpkin Pie

Have you tried the Curex range of wipes? My little boy has eczema and I find the no fragrance ones great. I have also used M & S for international delivery ( I just stock up in the sales) and Debenhams also ship to Oz. I have found this an affordable way to get things even with the delivery if I buy in the sale, look out for free delivery the run it sometimes if you spend over "blah" amount.

regards

Michelle

Hi, i had my third over here in September. I have found kmart, target and big w to be the best bet for items. just keep an eye on the catalouges for things to go on sale. for clothes i also say the abouve three and best and less. I always check out the sale catalogues before i buy anything. Before we flew out i got loads of the basics ie vests, baby grows, hats, scratch mits form asda, primark, tescos etc. and when family came out we asked them to buy clothes for the kids to bring out with them.

I used the pocket trader; hardwood cot, new mattress with protector and all the baby blankets and sheets and a mobile $200. Virtually all the clothes are secondhand from friends or Vinnies/lifeline etc, bought bath, playgym and breast pump at a garage sale.

Smallads are the way to go, my entire outlay has been less than $500, the only thing I bought new was the capsule and pram travel system.

I used the pocket trader; hardwood cot, new mattress with protector and all the baby blankets and sheets and a mobile $200. Virtually all the clothes are secondhand from friends or Vinnies/lifeline etc, bought bath, playgym and breast pump at a garage sale.

Smallads are the way to go, my entire outlay has been less than $500, the only thing I bought new was the capsule and pram travel system.

I think this is the way i will go, only draw back is we will be living in a relitivley small place so will have a smaller market to choose from.

I'm in a regional centre of around 100,000. Loads of ads every week as long as you're not fussy about wanting a particular style. I kind of figure that the little 'un is going to use stuff for a couple of years max, so if it doesn't match the decor, so what?

The only thing I was wary of was older painted wood things which may have lead paint, and second-hand safety items like car capsules as you can't guaratee what they've been through.

Good luck with your pregnancy. I hope your labour is faster than my 64 hours. I'm going to remind the boy about that when he plays up in future.

I'm in a regional centre of around 100,000. Loads of ads every week as long as you're not fussy about wanting a particular style. I kind of figure that the little 'un is going to use stuff for a couple of years max, so if it doesn't match the decor, so what?

The only thing I was wary of was older painted wood things which may have lead paint, and second-hand safety items like car capsules as you can't guaratee what they've been through.

Good luck with your pregnancy. I hope your labour is faster than my 64 hours. I'm going to remind the boy about that when he plays up in future.

First labour was 9 hours 2nd was 4 hours, i can live with 2 hours this time:biglaugh:

Archived