Rentals - Do you really keep the dog outside?

Guest mandy1970

Guest mandy1970

We are in the process of finding a rental for our move and eventhough we have found some pet friendly ones they still say that the dog has to stay outside.

Does anyone REALLY do this? I know you could be thrown out for going against the signed contract but surely there are ways around it.

I know my dog will want to be outside, when we are at home, but for his and our safety I would want him inside at night and when we are out. We would be in the rental a few weeks before he arrived.

Is it worth agreeing to keeping him outside and hope that they might soften a little.

Guest ragdoll annie
We are in the process of finding a rental for our move and eventhough we have found some pet friendly ones they still say that the dog has to stay outside.

Does anyone REALLY do this? I know you could be thrown out for going against the signed contract but surely there are ways around it.

I know my dog will want to be outside, when we are at home, but for his and our safety I would want him inside at night and when we are out. We would be in the rental a few weeks before he arrived.

Is it worth agreeing to keeping him outside and hope that they might soften a little.

To be honest mandy...i dont think any of us REALLY keep them outside..do we peeps?:wink:

hey mandy ....whose gona know :wink:....as long as you have a kennel outside ...the agents will be none the wiser .....wheres the rental ??? ....we are in thornlie now ...u gona be close ?? .....give us a shout if u need any help .....im in regular contact wi my agent from other house ...she might be able to find u summit

julie x

Guest mandy1970

Thats what I hope you would say lol.

Hi Julie

We are coming over end October. House still not sold so putting in a new kitchen and rent it out if not sold by Oct.

I think we have got a furnished rental for 6 months (to get us through xmas and kids starting school) in Safety Bay and then see what turns up.

Hows life with you both anyway? Still loving it? Or are you missing Callander lol.

Thanks for the offer of help - I might just need it!!!

Take care

Mandy

Thats what I hope you would say lol.

Hi Julie

We are coming over end October. House still not sold so putting in a new kitchen and rent it out if not sold by Oct.

I think we have got a furnished rental for 6 months (to get us through xmas and kids starting school) in Safety Bay and then see what turns up.

Hows life with you both anyway? Still loving it? Or are you missing Callander lol.

Thanks for the offer of help - I might just need it!!!

Take care

Mandy

yeah ...lifes good ...dont miss callander one bit ....although still have pangs re the family ...lol .....u wont be far from gracie she stays in waikiki .....make sure yer rental has air con if ur renting over christmas .....believe me its torture without ....keep in touch and hopefully we will get a wee bevvie when u get here

julie x

hi mandy , my dog lived outside on inspection days at our old house , they knew we had one though just that errrr hmmm he didn't live in doors ( like i was going to tell him that, the dog i mean !)

anyway the rental were in now he is official and can live indoors we paid extra doggie bond and they are fine , we did get asked age , breed, etc .. so just check with the agents if they will not be pushed re indoors keep stum !! as long as you know your dog is well behaved and not going to eat the kitchen or furniture lol all the best xx

Guest mandy1970

Im not sure if there is air con, if not we will just go and buy some fans to stop us melting. We didnt even manage a pool (dog or pool - dog won!!) We are just glad that we have somewhere over xmas as there wasn't much available.

Glad life is good for you both and as for the bevvie - I could be persuaded - its in the genes lol

Mandy x

Guest mandy1970

We had already decided on a paddling pool for our dog. Great idea!

Actually he was scared of water as he fell in a harbour at xmas when he was 2, now he is 8 and only started to paddle in the sea last summer, thank goodness .

I think most people allow their dog inside at some point but if it is written on your lease thats its outside only please be careful.

Your agent does have to contact you prior to an inspection so its understandable that you can rid the house of any dog hairs and make sure your pet is outside, however,,,,

Your agent may have a few property's in the same street/area and not all inspections are carried out on the same day, if they are passing by and see the dog inside or a neighbour informs them you could be instructed to vacate the property quickly and you really don't want this . I guess im just saying ,,be careful!

Cal x

Guest lynne underwood

outside when they are looking inside when they are not ...I think they only covering their own arses in case of damage done by the dog...we keep ours in and its not a problem any more as they are aware the dog not destructive :wub:

Guest mandy1970

Hi Lynne

This is what we are hoping for. He will be 9 when we move and is WAY past chewing up everything in sight. To be honest, he just cant be bothered anymore lol

Guest lynne underwood
Hi Lynne

This is what we are hoping for. He will be 9 when we move and is WAY past chewing up everything in sight. To be honest, he just cant be bothered anymore lol

Ours is 10 and we brought her from Ireland 2 years ago we have been in the same house since we got here and no problems our landlord said it was just necessary to put in lease in case the dog damaged the place so good luck in ur move and try not to worry it will all be ok x:jiggy:I really cant see u been thrown out over this if they see u are looking after the place and paying the rent x

Guest The Pom Queen

Landlords and agents are not daft, they know if you have a pet that you are going to have it inside despite what they say in the contract. However, it is there way of making sure you keep the house spotless and make sure that there is no damage done inside. Like Cal has said please be careful. Some agents are looking for an excuse to terminate your contract early especially if the owner wants to sell or move back in.

Guest guest33730
Landlords and agents are not daft, they know if you have a pet that you are going to have it inside despite what they say in the contract. However, it is there way of making sure you keep the house spotless and make sure that there is no damage done inside. Like Cal has said please be careful. Some agents are looking for an excuse to terminate your contract early especially if the owner wants to sell or move back in.

I'm definitely going to have to set up a letting agency in Aus - i have read many posts on PIO which make me think that renting is going to be so stressful out there! We put all the same clauses in our leases in the UK as they seem to in Aus however at the end of the day we take a bigger deposit if people have a pet, make sure they get carpets professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy and insist that ALL tenants (whether they have pets or not) take out insurance against landlords possessions - this only costs a few quid a month. Apart from the usual quarterly inspections we then leave the tenant to enjoy the use of place as they see fit.

It's going to be interesting finding the differences in a few weeks between the Aussie and UK systems but I tell you - I'm going to be sorely tempted to set something up!!

Daniel

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm definitely going to have to set up a letting agency in Aus - i have read many posts on PIO which make me think that renting is going to be so stressful out there! We put all the same clauses in our leases in the UK as they seem to in Aus however at the end of the day we take a bigger deposit if people have a pet, make sure they get carpets professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy and insist that ALL tenants (whether they have pets or not) take out insurance against landlords possessions - this only costs a few quid a month. Apart from the usual quarterly inspections we then leave the tenant to enjoy the use of place as they see fit.

It's going to be interesting finding the differences in a few weeks between the Aussie and UK systems but I tell you - I'm going to be sorely tempted to set something up!!

Daniel

Well you could have come and set one up in Melbourne instead of beggering off to Adelaide:tongue:

You will find the rental market is so tight in Melbourne that agents/landlords can be as picky as they want and let's face it if you were a landlord and had the choice between a professional couple with no children or pets or a couple with pets which would you choose. I think what Australia needs is a pet friendly rental company

Guest guest33730
Well you could have come and set one up in Melbourne instead of beggering off to Adelaide:tongue:

You will find the rental market is so tight in Melbourne that agents/landlords can be as picky as they want and let's face it if you were a landlord and had the choice between a professional couple with no children or pets or a couple with pets which would you choose. I think what Australia needs is a pet friendly rental company

Who said anything about 'pet friendly' - Don't you know we deep fry everything in Scotland - pets included!! LOLxx

Daniel

Guest The Pom Queen
Who said anything about 'pet friendly' - Don't you know we deep fry everything in Scotland - pets included!! LOLxx

Daniel

Well you can begger off to Adelaide then we don't want your type here, pmsl:chatterbox::biglaugh: Not long now, hope it is everything you imagined and more.

Hi. I have been reading this post with interest. We will be bringing our 2 girls, maisy a long haired jack russell and Defa collie cross lab. I really can't bear the thought of them living outside. Does anyone know how easy it will be to get a pet friendly unfurnished rental in the point cook area?

Thanks

Vanessa

If you offer them a doggie bond, (covers and damage done by dog) and I think it is required that trhe house gets fumigated (?sp) for fleas etc on a regular basis then it shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps write a letter to the owners via the real estate to forward on. I rented my property out in the uk and was adament no pets, but I got this lovely letter from the tennants saying they have a dog and that they were responsible dog owners, they offered me a bond for the dog and said would forward the receipts for fumigation and carpet cleaning. This alone proved to me that they were responsible. It is worth a try. Yet if the real estate agent asked me on their behalf I would have said no.

Daniel

Rental agent and man of the church cant be all rental police are from the downstairs guy:biglaugh:

Guest guest33730
Rental agent and man of the church cant be all rental police are from the downstairs guy:biglaugh:

You have no idea of the sleepless nights I have had worrying about one day being on the front page of the daily record after having to evict some single mother because she hasn't paid the rent etc!! I can see it now "Minister makes mother & child homeless" Or "There is still no room at the Inn" etc

I suppose the only thing in my favour is that Jesus was a tradesman and you can't get much lower than that!! LOL

Daniel

Archived