Rentals - Do you really keep the dog outside?

Guest mandy1970

We got some references from our neighbour and the vet before we came over to help with the rental process. Your options are restricted but again generally they want the pet to stay outside. Tell them what they want to hear but make sure they don't live next door!

• 2 weeks later...

we are supposed to keep our labrador (6 months old) outside at ALL times and even keep his food outside, needless to say he has lived inside since the day we got him, even at night. We moved all his stuff outside and scattered toys everywehre, under leaves atc to make it look as though he lived outside when we had an inspection, they never said anything so we will carry on the way we are! landlady came round too so all my tidying up and plug in air fresheners worked ;-)

i couldnt leave him outside, he is too cute, and far too small when we bough him too! just be careful thats all I'd say, outside when any tradies come round too.

P.s he has chewed the outside of the back door and we screwed tin plate over it and they didnt even see/say anything!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fulwood

Our rental said "Strictly no pets" on the application but it didn't stop us applying. We took our laptop and showed the landlord pictures of our smart and well presented house in the UK and illustrated that it had not suffered for having a dog live there.

We also offered an additional bond and said we were happy about this as we were so confident to get 100% back as she is such a good dog.

We eventually got the thumbs up from the landlord who said the dog was an issue, but asked that she lives outside "The majority of the time". I'm not sure if that is the majority of the time she is awake, the majority of the time she is playing, or the majority of the time when the moon is shining. Either way, we have a bed outside, a bad inside and a happy mutt and a landlord who had never competed a home inspection in over 9 months!

It's not only the agents who see the house; the owner may live nearby and see everything you do.

Frankly if my tenants put an animal inside when the lease specifically states they have to be outside I'd get them thrown out, *however*, if they approach me through the agent and ask first, I have made allowances before.

Like M2M said, agents aren't stupid, and there's always a doggy smell that you can't cover up during inspections. Ask first, all they can do is say no.

My dog lives on my deck and he's more than happy there, they've evolved to live outside (unless it's one of those ugly chinese crested bald dogs)

• 2 weeks later...

Ours is an outside dog but he does come in sometimes - it was in our agreement (dont know if that's the norm) that we had to have the place sprayed for fleas when we left - inside and out - another little hidden extra cost and a total waste of time - of course our baby doesnt have fleas!

But he does like to be outside - we leave him out during the day (when we're out) - its too hot inside in the summer - he chills in the shade of the entertainment area (lucky thing while we're all out working) and most of the year he sleeps outside as well - comes in for a couple of months in the winter when it can get down to a chilly 7 degrees at night!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jason7167

i have to say i am a little surprised with rentals keeping the dog outside as at the end of your tenancy it is a legal requirement (see your tenancy agreement) that the place inside and out has to be fumigated. (we are just having to go through this now) it will cost $99 if the property is on concrete of $150 if it is a sub (still not sure what this means). they will not give you the bond money until they have the certificate to show this. so question this with your rental agents. ours have been okay about the dog inside...they may differ due to the size of the dog? just a thought. hope this helps

Guest Bernicem80

Yes we too have an outdoor dog (although she does sleep in the laundry room at night!). We are just leaving our current rental and have to pay for a flea treatment/carpet clean before we leave - even though the agent knows its an outdoor dog!

Oh well I guess this is the norm!

Hi,

Rental police here!(Which of you are my tenants then! haha!) And I can see BOTH points of view having emigrated with my two mutts....and having the stress of worrying that we wouldn't find a decent rental with two of the buggers in tow (and they ARE buggers....but they are my babies and NO WAY would they stay outside...not safe in my opinion)

We also have owned properties which we've rented out and I'd not be impressed if people had dogs inside without telling me (I'm soft anyway so there'd be no complaints from me as long as there wasn't damage...or if it was paid for by the tenant)

Believe me I know when there's dogs living inside when they're meant to be outside...I also know when the cat sat on your doorstep is yours and have heard the 'it's just the neighbours cat' excuse a million times.

On the other hand....as a 'renter' (just about to move into our own place...no more rental inspections for me...whoohoo!!) we didn't find it difficult at all to find a rental...even with TWO dogs, we were in fact accepted on two properties no probs at all. What the someone else said about providing photos, references, offering 3 months rent up front (which is rarely taken) etc is all good advice.

So don't worry yourself sick, there will be somewhere for you and your dog...where he/she can sleep inside (even in your bed...yes, like mine!)

Oh...and we 'rental police' are not all from hell....I regularly drop off dog food for a young couple (tenants) who love their dogs but struggle to afford to feed them.

Good luck to everyone...xx

Archived