General Discussion on George Lombard's report 31st May 2010

George Lombard

so what happens to those f us who have SS then and why is he so allergic to chefs and hairdressers when states want us when they give the SS so confusing

He is federal MP and I doubt he cares about what state wants.

I think its pretty obvious why he is allergic to hairdressers and chefs.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest reddragon81
On another point, I don't suppose there was any indication whether state sponsored applicants would have to reapply to be on a SMP, or if people with sponsorship would get automatically transferred if their occupation is on the list?

Can anyone please comment on this last paragraph which I'm sure is pertinent to many.

Can anyone please comment on this?

Guest Pearlwal

I'm wondering if there are any thoughts regards if any changes might apply to those who already hold one of the Provisional Visas such as the 475 and 487 etc..

We've already gone through the points test are were given a provisonal visa 18 months ago. We needed to both live and work in Regional Australia for 2 years before we could apply for full PR - this was a SS visa and there are no working restrictions for the initial 2 years.

To those unfamiliar with this, the 887 Visa is not points tested (as you've already been through that) but you must proved you've lived and worked full time in the designated regional area for the full 2 years.

This is a very stressful time for everyone so any thoughts anyone?

Guest pinal
SMP will consist only those occupations which is in ENSOL?!!!!

I don't think that same list will be on at all state's SMP list. ENSOL list is too long and all states don't require same skill.

I hope I could be wrong

Guest Jane1991
I don't think that same list will be on at all state's SMP list. ENSOL list is too long and all states don't require same skill.

I hope I could be wrong

Maybe he/she is suggesting that all SMP will be a selected subset of ENSOL ... so if its not on ENSOL it definitely won't be on SMPs

Guest VickyMel
SMP will consist only those occupations which is in ENSOL?!!!!

I hope I could be wrong

Maybe he/she is suggesting that all SMP will be a selected subset of ENSOL ... so if its not on ENSOL it definitely won't be on SMPs

Yep I too am of the understanding that the states can choose occupations from the ENSOL list to include on their SMP list - but that the states need to have undertaken research to show that they occupations they include in that state are needed in their (then they need to get it OK'd by the minister).

So not all the occupations in the ENSOL will be on the SMPs and the states will differ in what they include depending on their needs.

I hope I could be wrong

This simply means that the SMP list of occupations will also have to be listed on the ENSOL and cannot be any other occupation. The states will have to choose which occupations their require from this list only. What seems to be confusing is that some of the occupations mentioned on the new SOL differs slightly from the ENSOL. I guess, if your occupation is on the SMP, there is no need to bother with the new SOL !!

Guest Bob2008
To those unfamiliar with this, the 887 Visa is not points tested (as you've already been through that) but you must proved you've lived and worked full time in the designated regional area for the full 2 years.

Little correction. It is "lived for 2 years and worked full time for a total of 1 year".

It is not clear to what extent they will use their new amendment on 475 visa holders. Are you a cook or a hairdresser?

Guest reddragon81

Will people that have already been granted SS have to reapply to be on a SMP, or would they get automatically transferred (if their occupation is on the SMP list) ?

Will people that have already been granted SS have to reapply to be on a SMP, or would they get automatically transferred (if their occupation is on the SMP list) ?

No-one knows yet. I did speak to QLD about this and the lady there said that she thought we would automatically move up in priority if on the SMP without having to reapply... BUT... she was not 100% sure on this!!!

I think we will find out soon enough... only 28 days left in June and then the we will know a bit more of what may lay ahead!

Tasha:wubclub:

Guest VickyMel
No-one knows yet. I did speak to QLD about this and the lady there said that she thought we would automatically move up in priority if on the SMP without having to reapply... BUT... she was not 100% sure on this!!!

I think we will find out soon enough... only 28 days left in June and then the we will know a bit more of what may lay ahead!

Hi Tasha

Wow - if that comes though it would be the best news I have had for months (assuming it is similar for Victoria as well)! It would make some sense if the occupation is on their SMP as they have already checked our SS applications and confirmed they want us.

Fingers crossed - I am at the stage where I will wait for some official announcement before I get my hopes to far up for anything.

VickyMel

Hi Tasha

Wow - if that comes though it would be the best news I have had for months (assuming it is similar for Victoria as well)! It would make some sense if the occupation is on their SMP as they have already checked our SS applications and confirmed they want us.

Fingers crossed - I am at the stage where I will wait for some official announcement before I get my hopes to far up for anything.

VickyMel

Hi VM

Not sure if I made myself crystal clear, and don't want to get your hopes up too much !!!...:goofy: Unless you are still on Victoria's SS list, as we are not on QLD SS list anymore...

QLD said that if our occupation was on the new SMP then she thought we would just move up in priority with our SS, however, if its not then we will just sit in the queue somewhere and not sure at what priority until the new priority lists are shown!

I asked if she thought our trade would be on the new SMP and she did not seem to think so, as it was not even on the SS list they have now which they changed last July! I had already suspected this and was prepared for this, I was just hoping that as nearly a year had passed from QLD changing their list that our trade may be back in demand again!

Good luck to all waiting for good news!

Tasha :wubclub:

Guest VickyMel

Thank for the clarification Taz - don't worry myhope aren't going up yet.

I was recognising that it would only be a potential subset of the SS that may be on the SMP and it would hopefully those guys that were automatic.

Really sorry you are not on the current SS QLD list, fingers crossed.

VIC issued a new list in April 2010 (I think it was?) and we were still on that list but it was dated 2009 so they seemd a bit behind!

So I imagine they will be having a revamp of the list again for the SMPs.

Currently going through the jobs pages as I am not holding any hopes out that we will be anything other than a lower priority yet!

Guest reddragon81

Tasha

Yeah can't wait to find out the lists on the 1st of July and the new priority processing!

Guest Jamie Smith

Hi all

It was confirmed today at the DIAC roadshow in Melbourne, that the new SMP lists will replace any existing state list of occupations for sponsorship, that all occupations must be drawn from the ENSOL (even though DIAC good give no reason why they require this, they just thought there had to be a limit). That's a bit like "sure you can vote, as long as it's for our party's candidates".

The other flaw is that the ENSOL was derived from ASCO and some occupations won't necessarily be on it. The State off list number is being cut to 100 per state, I suspect because the states haven't used the 300 up (gunshy, they would be afraid of sponsoring someone off list in case they set a trend).

Interestingly, debate on new processing priorities with the new SOL was actually led by DIAC senior staff: ENS first, SMP second, SOL third. :wink:

The new points test wonlt be ready for implementation until early 2011. I asked why should anyone apply for a points tested visa near that time if they require state sponsorship, as DIAC might drop the knife on applications still at state Government (some are taking 5 months!).

I got a "God Almighty, as though we don't have enough to do already" look.

Meaning - no-one in DIAC has yet had that discussion about managing people part way in the process when the new points test comes out. :mad:

Guest VickyMel

Interestingly, debate on new processing priorities with the new SOL was actually led by DIAC senior staff: ENS first, SMP second, SOL third. :wink:

Meaning - no-one in DIAC has yet had that discussion about managing people part way in the process when the new points test comes out. :mad:

Thanks Jamie - much appreciated...

I don't suppose they discussed what would happen to the current SS applicants and whether they will need to reapply to the respective states to be on the SMPs or whether if their occupation is on the list they will be automatically shunted to SMP?

I'm just a bit worried they might also not be considering what to do with the current applicants and whether the suggested

"ENS first, SMP second, SOL third. "

has all the current SS applicants part way through the process being shunted back again to NON-priority 4 or beyond?

Thanks Vickymel

Guest Jamie Smith

Fair question.

I actually got warm and fuzzy feelings from this meeting, that DIAC were trying not to upset too many applecarts. I therefore think that if you have already lodged for a visa you're ok, but if you only hold a sponsorship then that has a life expectancy and it might die a natural death.

It is however quite possible that you would still be Ok for making a new sponsorship request as the usually understaffed state sponsoring departments are likely to build new lists off their existing lists and just try to add a research justification to it.

The real issue is that the States now have to provide research backing their choice of occupations AND THE NUMBER OF EACH OCCUPATION THEY WANT TO SPONSOR EACH YEAR.

Can you imagine a state government having to explain why they don't have enough houses built, or teachers, or sewer cleaners or train drivers? This is such early days and the States have no history of manging such things, so I can see some states being cagey and asking for more than they might need (WA in particular, perhaps SA).

I then had a friendly bet with a DIAC manager that the totals of the states lists and numbers might come in at 30% over and above the numbers DIAC would grant in a year. He took my bet for a beer that the first count would exceed programme numbers by 30%. I then asked one of his colleagues to watch him and keep him honest!

Jamie,

Ok- just from your point of view, I would like an opinion as to where my OH and I may stand....

In brief; using Thinking Australia as our agent, in December 09 we began the application process through my OH's skills and qualifications as a chef on a 175 Visa. Unfortunately, by 8th May our papers had only reached the TRA stage (TRA still not come back to us). So the actual lodging of the visa hasn't yet been done.

Drawing on the knowledge you have- what do you suspect will happen to us?

Thanks Jamie - much appreciated...

I don't suppose they discussed what would happen to the current SS applicants and whether they will need to reapply to the respective states to be on the SMPs or whether if their occupation is on the list they will be automatically shunted to SMP?

I'm just a bit worried they might also not be considering what to do with the current applicants and whether the suggested

"ENS first, SMP second, SOL third. "

has all the current SS applicants part way through the process being shunted back again to NON-priority 4 or beyond?

Thanks Vickymel

Hi VM

Your question was exactly what I wanted to ask, but my computer is playing up today and not doing what I ask of it, so you beat me to it :laugh:!!!

Anyway, surely if you are on the new SOL and also have SS you must have some sort of priority over people who are just on the SOL, otherwise it means that the states have spent time sponsoring people for no reason at all. They cant just ignore us and slot us in with people who have not been jumping through the same hoops as us!? Or can they!!! Mmmmmm:unsure: Especially when the states and applicants have invested so much time and money getting their SS... in particular those who went with WA and had to pay to get their SS.

~~~~~~~~

@ Jamie - Thanks for sharing the information you have... it does give me some hope that there is still a slim chance we may eventually get our visa... perhaps one day!:SLEEP:

Cheers

Hi VM

Not sure if I made myself crystal clear, and don't want to get your hopes up too much !!!...:goofy: Unless you are still on Victoria's SS list, as we are not on QLD SS list anymore...

QLD said that if our occupation was on the new SMP then she thought we would just move up in priority with our SS, however, if its not then we will just sit in the queue somewhere and not sure at what priority until the new priority lists are shown!

I asked if she thought our trade would be on the new SMP and she did not seem to think so, as it was not even on the SS list they have now which they changed last July! I had already suspected this and was prepared for this, I was just hoping that as nearly a year had passed from QLD changing their list that our trade may be back in demand again!

Good luck to all waiting for good news!

Tasha :wubclub:

hi tasha,

thanks for your recent posts on here, i was wondering if anybody had contacted a state to find out their take on things,so thanks for that,i cant remember what trade you were, but looking at qld, they havent any trades on there at all, surely this will change dont you think? im a joiner visa lodged ss granted 2009,on SOL on ENSOL, SMP hopeful, like many unsure whats in the pipeline, am i to be left where i am and leapfroged by new applicants on moved up the golden ladder:smile:

Guest VickyMel
omg does that mean WA has around 170 occupations on their jobs in demand list but they're cutting it down to around 100???

I think the 100 referred to the states having and extra 100 places in addition to the jobs on their SMPs - the equivalent of an off-list like previously.

Anyway, surely if you are on the new SOL and also have SS you must have some sort of priority over people who are just on the SOL, otherwise it means that the states have spent time sponsoring people for no reason at all. They cant just ignore us and slot us in with people who have not been jumping through the same hoops as us!? Or can they!!! Mmmmmm:unsure: Especially when the states and applicants have invested so much time and money getting their SS... in particular those who went with WA and had to pay to get their SS.

Unfortunately we are not on the new SOL - so are pretty keen to be on that SMP as I do wonder where the SS will be otherwise?

Figures from a newspaper report

Capping and culling the migration queue | Inside Story

147,000 applicants for general skilled migration already waiting on a visa decision.

61,500 places set aside for general skilled migration in the next budget year

(Another 44,150 places are reserved for migrants nominated by employers.)

cooks and hairdressers 17,594 valid applications

38,990 applicants - former international students waiting in the general skilled pipeline

Thats over 2 years of backlog assuming that noone else applies...

(Pity they won't just admit they mucked up and allow all genuine applicants in the backlog that met the criteria when they applied through in one bulk load and sort things out for the future)

For the point of view of someone with SS it would be interesting to know just how many SS applications are outstanding and waiting in the queue

Its going to be a tough year next couple of years - I just wish they would make the ENS a bit easier and attractive to employers.

Oh well back to searching the web for jobs!

Vickymel

hi tasha,

thanks for your recent posts on here, i was wondering if anybody had contacted a state to find out their take on things,so thanks for that,i cant remember what trade you were, but looking at qld, they havent any trades on there at all, surely this will change dont you think? im a joiner visa lodged ss granted 2009,on SOL on ENSOL, SMP hopeful, like many unsure whats in the pipeline, am i to be left where i am and leapfroged by new applicants on moved up the golden ladder:smile:

Hi Jackster

I do hope we are not leapfrogged by new applicants... surely they would not do that to us and also the states who spent time on us issuing our SS... I suppose, once again, time will tell...

Roll on 1st July when it will hopefully be a little clearer!

I just hope PiO is ready for the 1st of July and does not crash on us... I think it will be a busy day for the PiO forum again! :laugh:

Cheers

Archived