General Discussion on George Lombard's report 31st May 2010

George Lombard

Guest bindog1uk

Thanks, Gill George and Susan for answering my question, what we do without you all and PIO:biggrin:Lesley

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Bob2008
I just took another look at the file that I downloaded a while ago on the correspondence tables between the old ASCO and new ANZSCO codes and noticed for the first time some of the codes have 6 digits and some have 4 digits.

Just wondering if there is any difference between the two categories?

VickyMel

Hello VickyMel,

All ANZSCO codes in my correspondence table show 6 digit numbers. Though sometimes they are being cut to a shorter version, because it consists of Major group, submajor, minor, unit group, and 2-digit occupation. For example, 2544 - Registered Nurses

Hi Jools,

I'm pretty sure that WA hasn't finished its negotiations - the "WA List" that some agents were waving around here was no more than a consultation draft, I was told - and that with the new requirements that all SMP occupations must at least be on the ENSOL and must also be expressed in ANZSCO terms, there will still be many SMPs unfinalised by 1 July, particularly if their modelling has been based on ASCO and has to be done again.

There's also the problem that no state will want to release any information publicly until the state Minister signs off on the Memorandum of Understanding establishing its SMP and the Federal Minister does likewise. But to that extent there's plenty of scope for lobbying your target state for a fair go.

Cheers,

George Lombard

thanks for answering my post george, i have now emailed wa and told them why i think my trade should be included in their list, i also asked them to make sure someone who could make a difference got to see it, but i dont hold out much hope!!!

i have also emailed david wilden for the second time i will keep trying untill i get capped and killed:arghh:

jools x

Guest 1947

Hi

All agents & seniors are requested to reply.

I am June'09 175/ MODL/CSL/Paperbased applicant from Pakistan. I have been assigned CO around Sep'09 and am being asked to provide some info which I quickly sent. Since then there is complete silence from DIAC. Some random PLE & e-mails to Team/CO just fetched routine replies that you should wait & routine processing is going on. By going through sites like this one & others like embraceaustralia,gettingdownunder,britishexpats,beupdate & alot others indicate that non of visa is being issued to 175 CSL applicants from Pakistan who are waiting since Mar'09/Apr'09/May'09/Jun'09 & after. Keeping in view of all the recent & upcoming changes, can anybody give a wild/calculated guess that when our cases would be finalized and if there is anyhing we can do and look to as lender of last resort.

Pls do reply,

Sincerely

Hi

I am June'09 175/ MODL/CSL/Paperbased applicant from Pakistan. I have been assigned CO around Sep'09 and am being asked to provide some info which I quickly sent. Since then there is complete silence from DIAC. Some random PLE & e-mails to Team/CO just fetched routine replies that you should wait & routine processing is going on. By going through sites like this one & others like embraceaustralia,gettingdownunder,britishexpats,beupdate & alot others indicate that non of visa is being issued to 175 CSL applicants from Pakistan who are waiting since Mar'09/Apr'09/May'09/Jun'09 & after. Keeping in view of all the recent & upcoming changes, can anybody give a wild/calculated guess that when our cases would be finalized and if there is anyhing we can do and look to as lender of last resort.

Pls do reply,

Sincerely

Try and do a search on the BE site. Some people from Pakistan had mentioned there that checks carried out in Pakistan take unusually long than any other country. If I find the link, I will send it to you.

Hi

Pls do reply,

Sincerely

Try and do a search on the BE site. Some people from Pakistan had mentioned there that checks carried out in Pakistan take unusually long than any other country. If I find the link, I will send it to you.

Guest 1947

Thanks for your input. BTW I have seen those posts on BE but I don't agree with them. 175 CSL applicants from Pakistan got their visas in around 8-12 months and most of these cases belong to pre Mar'09 applicants. Thereby same checks were being performed in quite short time then why not today.

Guest guest41018

The reason might be (but I can't be sure) that the Karachi and Lahore consulates closed and even the High Commission in Islamabad was closed for a while too last year - I heard this from a DIAC official in London recently. I even recall reading that the High Commission in Bangkok was processing Pakistani applications for a while. Tell me, how many Pakistanis do you know that have got a 175 CSL visa from April/May 2009 onwards ? Do you know any ?

Our situation is weird, my wife was born in Pakistan and left there 30 years ago at the age of 5, she has been in the UK and has done everything else, like the rest of her siblings, here since. She was on the CSL (Pharmacist) and applied in July 2009, we did medicals/pcc in January 2010, but still haven't heard anything since other than they are just waiting for the Form 80 results. Quite why it is taking so long, I don't know, but it would be incredibly stupid of them to be requesting information from Pakistan when she hasn't been resident there in 30 years, but it would appear that that is exactly what they are doing, I can't imagine the UK taking so long.

Thanks for your input. BTW I have seen those posts on BE but I don't agree with them. 175 CSL applicants from Pakistan got their visas in around 8-12 months and most of these cases belong to pre Mar'09 applicants. Thereby same checks were being performed in quite short time then why not today.

Don't know the answer really. Do you know anyone in particular who got their visas in 8 to 12 months because you could find out from them what kind of Company they were working for, etc. You could possibly get your answer.

Guest Jane1991

Our situation is weird, my wife was born in Pakistan and left there 30 years ago at the age of 5, she has been in the UK and has done everything else, like the rest of her siblings, here since. She was on the CSL (Pharmacist) and applied in July 2009, we did medicals/pcc in January 2010, but still haven't heard anything since other than they are just waiting for the Form 80 results.

Sorry Just curious ! Do you know of other pharmacists face unexplained delays after the new SOL came out ?

Guest guest41018
Sorry Just curious ! Do you know of other pharmacists face unexplained delays after the new SOL came out ?

To be honest, no. It was on the CSL for March 2010, so I don't think that was the reason and have heard of a few pharmacists getting in recently. I do believe, based on what I have heard from a some state officials/DIAC people at a migration expo in London recently, that there are still shortages regarding pharmacists, but there appears to be an oversupply in the cities and a real undersupply in the rural areas - nobody wants to work there. It was also intimated that many pharmacists, with poor English skills and qualifications from the subcontinent for example, are doing the qualifying courses in Australia and proving not to be very good. From what I heard, they were quite suprised that Pharmacists have gone from being on the CSL to not being on the new SOL, but said that they are very likely to be in the SMPs.

Are you a pharmacist ?

Guest Gollywobbler

The reason might be (but I can't be sure) that the Karachi and Lahore consulates closed and even the High Commission in Islamabad was closed for a while too last year - I heard this from a DIAC official in London recently. I even recall reading that the High Commission in Bangkok was processing Pakistani applications for a while. Tell me, how many Pakistanis do you know that have got a 175 CSL visa from April/May 2009 onwards ? Do you know any ?

Our situation is weird, my wife was born in Pakistan and left there 30 years ago at the age of 5, she has been in the UK and has done everything else, like the rest of her siblings, here since. She was on the CSL (Pharmacist) and applied in July 2009, we did medicals/pcc in January 2010, but still haven't heard anything since other than they are just waiting for the Form 80 results. Quite why it is taking so long, I don't know, but it would be incredibly stupid of them to be requesting information from Pakistan when she hasn't been resident there in 30 years, but it would appear that that is exactly what they are doing, I can't imagine the UK taking so long.

Hi Roundomus

When you contacted DIAC in London, did you ask David Wilden to investigate what is going on or did you simply ask the people who answer the premium rate number?

There have been numerous cases in which Mr Wilden has investigated and has been told a weird story by the ASPC. He repeats the weird story to the visa applicant. The applicant knows that the story does not make sense, so the applicant has contacted the Aussie Embassy overseas somewhere ("the overseas post") that the ASPC have alleged have been holding things up.

The overseas post check their own records and report that they replied to the ASPC several months ago. Whereupon the applicant and I have told Mr Wilden, "This story from the ASPC does not stack up because the overseas post say XYZ."

Mr Wilden has then taken the matter to somebody more senior at the ASPC, who has sorted out what has evidently been a muddle both by and within the ASPC and the visa has then been granted pretty quickly.

So if you think the story doesn't stack up, don't rely on somebody in London trying to have a vague guess about what might be going on, I suggest.

Please shout if I can help any further.

Cheers

Gill

Guest guest41018

Hi Gill,

The DIAC official we met was at some migration expo in London recently, just had a general chat and she almost wet herself when we told her that my wife was born in Pakistan and didn't seem surprised that it was taking so long. Even though we are in the UK, our migration agent is in Australia and we email or post everything to him and as far as we are aware, our application is being processed in Adelaide - we have never been in contact with the High Commission in the UK at any stage. It's apparently the case officer in Australia who has said that they are just waiting for the Form 80 results - we are the only people we have heard of in the UK who have been asked to do one (wife only) as far as we can see.

Would our application have been processed in London too or is it Adelaide, in which case what do we do ? And what is this 'overseas post' all about ? How do we find out who ours is or where they are and find out if they have done their job and if there is some mess with ASPC ? Isn't the Form 80 sent to ASIO where it may sit for ages and you have to wait for six months before you can complain to IGIS ?

If you could advise, that would be great, becauce looking at the beupdate site, and filtering out for Pakistan, not only single 175 visa has been granted for those who have applied since April last year and I don't think we deserve to be put in that boat.

Thanks

Roundomus

Guest Jane1991

Are you a pharmacist ?

No but my mum is an applicant under that occupation :wink: Ah she is going to get her visa even before I do ... if the pharma makes it into SMP's

Guest Drifter
No but my mum is an applicant under that occupation :wink: Ah she is going to get her visa even before I do ... if the pharma makes it into SMP's

Hi Jane1991, by all means I'm not an expert here, but I've researched a lot of posts across multiple forums and here's the rule which is more or less true.

If DIAC replies to a PLE with any estimates about the case finalization, like "routine processing... 3-4 months", then it's likely your application hasn't gone onto external checks in ASIO. If they say "ensuring all the legal requirements can take some time... The case officer is following up on the status of your application on a regular basis..." then it's quite likely the application is being assessed by ASIO. DIAC really doesn't have any control over ASIO. You're entitled to inquire IGIS (the body that governs ASIO) no sooner than 6 months since you've filed your application.

Hi Jane1991, by all means I'm not an expert here, but I've researched a lot of posts across multiple forums and here's the rule which is more or less true.

If DIAC replies to a PLE with any estimates about the case finalization, like "routine processing... 3-4 months", then it's likely your application hasn't gone onto external checks in ASIO. If they say "ensuring all the legal requirements can take some time... The case officer is following up on the status of your application on a regular basis..." then it's quite likely the application is being assessed by ASIO. DIAC really doesn't have any control over ASIO. You're entitled to inquire IGIS (the body that governs ASIO) no sooner than 6 months since you've filed your application.

Pls elborate what is ASIO & IGIS. My e-mail to my Co/Team fetched the same reply of "

If they say "ensuring all the legal requirements can take some time... The case officer is following up on the status of your application on a regular basis..."[

From that what could i expect further as I am 175/CSL/MODL/Paperbased/ HR/ last May'09 applicants.

Guest Drifter
Pls elborate what is ASIO & IGIS. My e-mail to my Co/Team fetched the same reply of "

If they say "ensuring all the legal requirements can take some time... The case officer is following up on the status of your application on a regular basis..."[

From that what could i expect further as I am 175/CSL/MODL/Paperbased/ HR/ last May'09 applicants.

ASIO conducts necessary security checks before a visa may be granted. DIAC selectively submits some applications from some high-risk counties to ASIO for external security assessment. I was unable to find any published policy or criteria which might regulate such submissions. IGIS is the governmental body that controls ASIO. You might be intersted in Online Complaint Form (Immigration), but it is not advisable to contact them if it's been less than 6 months since you've filed your application. Also, you're entitled to contact them no more often than once in half a year.

I've gathered the above info from various immi forums, but I haven't contacted IGIS myself and I have no intention to do so this far.

Archived