UK- Australia Long distance relationship, is it impossible?

Englishlover

He is in UK. I am in Australia. We have not met for 1.5 years. This is because he would like to sell the old house and buy the new one before the next meeting.

At the moment , the buyer has agreed to buy his house. However, the process is quite slow now. We are not sure when we can meet again. He also has fear of flying phobia. Therefore, it is harder. Have you ever had long distance relationship with the partner in UK. Do you think it is gonna work?

Guest chris955

I met my wife when I was in England and when I moved back here it was more or less the end of the relationship, we kept in touch and talked all the time on the phone. I proposed over the phone and as they say the rest is history, that was 26 years ago. :biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
He is in UK. I am in Australia. We have not met for 1.5 years. This is because he would like to sell the old house and buy the new one before the next meeting.

At the moment , the buyer has agreed to buy his house. However, the process is quite slow now. We are not sure when we can meet again. He also has fear of flying phobia. Therefore, it is harder. Have you ever had long distance relationship with the partner in UK. Do you think it is gonna work?

I had many many months away from my then Australian partner when I was working in Asia.or London I cant profess that it was easy . There were many moments when I needed the physical presence of my husband around during the difficult periods and I certainly feel you have to work harder at it, but, we are now exceptionally happily married,,, it depends on the couple, circumstances, maturity etc... best wishes Susie:wubclub:

I met my wife when I was in England and when I moved back here it was more or less the end of the relationship, we kept in touch and talked all the time on the phone. I proposed over the phone and as they say the rest is history, that was 26 years ago. :biggrin:

I hated that Buzzby bloke as well lol

Guest vintage

I am in a long distance relationship at this time ..and I am waiting to hear about a prospective marraige visa ..they can and do work :yes:

Sure they can work. DH and I had a "long distance relationship" for 3 years (plus 1 week if we are being pedantic!), him in Aus and PNG and me in UK and that was in the days before skype, email, texting and any other technological advantage. We had probably about 3 x 3minute phone calls in all that time because calls were L1 a minute. We also wrote to each other - by airmail - pretty much every day and sometimes our letters would cross in the mail but contain the answers to each others' questions!

Been married coming up 37 years now and before we got married we had spent less than 6 weeks total in each others' company. So, yes, long distance relationships can work very well.

Guest IrishMelbourne

I am also in long distance relationship, waiting on a PMV Visa, he's the aussie waiting for me in Melbourne very patiently! Before that we were commuting back and forth between London and Dublin - its really really hard but with Skype/texting/calling etc it does make it easier. Time apart helps the time together they say!

Guest Caitmelbourne

If you're strong enough as a couple, you will make it.

I met an Aussie in London last Summer, soon after I booked my tickets to Melbourne with the aim to stay long-term. He is stuck in London with work & also still has more to see in Europe. He visited me over here for one month recently but now he has gone it has become difficult. I don't think we will last which is a shame, but if it was meant to be it wouldn't be this difficult.

Advice: Do not spend time longing and wishing the situation was different. Embrace the opportunity to be independent & strong & if the relationship is meant to be, it will be.

Good luck!

It can definitely work out :wubclub: My husband and I had a long distance relationship for 3 years and kept in touch via holidays, the telephone and Internet.

Advice: Do not spend time longing and wishing the situation was different. Embrace the opportunity to be independent & strong & if the relationship is meant to be, it will be.

Good luck!

This is excellent advice. The time apart is really hard on you but it's important to keep living your life where you are. If it's meant to be you will soon be where you wish you were and then all those years will seem like weeks. :hug:

Guest svanicek

My (aussie} boyfriend and I met in the South of France in July 2008 and I was living in Singapore at the time and we were in a long distance relationship for a year between Europe (where he was working) and Singapore. In June 2009 I managed to get accepted to do my Masters at a Sydney university and we both moved to Sydney together and we are now living together and applying for our defacto visa in July this year. So yes it can definately work out! Its not easy I can tell you, a lot of crying and heartbreaks, but in the end it was worth it. Between webcams/skype/e-mails/msn, it definately makes it a lot easier!

I was in a long distance relationship with my OH for over a year before he moved to the UK last June. He has to go home in July and I will be applying for my Defacto visa v soon after this so we are working up to at least another 6 months apart.

Its heartbreaking thinking that we have to do it all over again, but we feel that another 6 months apart for the rest of our lives is worth it.

We managed the first year of being apart with holidays (though the expense of these was pretty difficult), constant phone calls and internet. Missing each other was excruciating at times - but we got there.

I don't think that being separated for this long was ever an ideal situation, but it really did test our commitment towards each other and as a result, we are extremely close and I feel that I know him better than a previous relationship I was in for almost 10 years. Our bond is now stronger than ever.

If its meant to be, it will be.

I wish you well!

Guest JayCook77

Long distance relationships can work.... I met my now Fiancée Jessica on the EA Games forum Jan 2009, by March we were totally loved up with each other, by June (thanks to my parents generosity, Love them dearly) I was able to fly out and stay with her for 3 whole months, When I returned in September I looked at every possible option for me to get back there since she is half way through a Teaching degree and I point blank refused to let her give it up even though she was desperate to stay with me and I her. By October I realised that all my plans for getting back resulted in us getting married when she finishes Uni... it was her dad who asked me why I was waiting until 2 years time if we felt that strongly for each other why didn't I propose now, I told him I couldn't afford a wedding and all the Visa's that entailed etc. With that he said that he would take care of the wedding if my parents could help me out with the Visa and Honeymoon....

I am now waiting for my PMV to be granted, the wedding plans are in full swing and the honeymoon is booked for a week after our wedding to give us a week in between the wedding and honeymoon to spend time with those of my family from the UK (Very few) who come to our wedding. My darling Jessica misses me terribly as I miss her terribly aswell, but with todays technology we have long Video chats at least once a week when my work and her studying doesn't clash too much and we manage very well.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest shelleybell

I am in Long Distance Relationship and have been for only 3 months. My beautiful man lives in Brisbane and I live in the UK. It has been very uplifting to read so many positive and successful stories on this forum. We are both madly and insanely in love with each other. We are childhood friends from South Africa. We had both tried unsuccessfully to find each other over the many years, and have finally found each other via Facebook. We exchanged emails and the rapport was instantaneous. Within a matter of weeks we were both experiencing very deep and profound feelings for each other. We've both admitted to having crushes on each other from the day we first met (we were 8 and 9), and up into our twenties. Our respective personal lives run parallel, we're both separated from our marriages, and have a son each. We're both hopeless romantics, love the same music, films, books, we even share the same birthday. We laugh, love and have fun...all on the internet, by texts, letters and phone. We make each other Happy and we Smile ALOT. We also yearn, ache, and long to be together physically. I am strong, so is he. We are both patient and determined. We trust in ourselves and in the Universe to fulfil our wishes and dreams. Its a wonderful Love story and we believe we are meant to be together. :hug:

Guest JayCook77

Well shelleybell what do you plan to do to about getting together then ? Are you thinking of applying for a Visa ?

Guest shelleybell

Hi, JayCook77

Unfortunately, the situation is rather more complex than it seems, so I won't be needing a visa for quite some time. But thanks for asking. I just needed to get things off my chest so to speak. X

Guest JayCook77
Hi, JayCook77

Unfortunately, the situation is rather more complex than it seems, so I won't be needing a visa for quite some time. But thanks for asking. I just needed to get things off my chest so to speak. X

No Worries I am sure you will find the answers you are looking for somewhere on this forum. Good luck with your relationship.

Guest JayCook77
Yes, we'll need it. Thanks for replying. X

Not a problem, it appears your situation is a bit too personal to broadcast to the whole forum, if you want to chat private message me and I will give what advice I can.

Guest JayCook77
Not quite sure how I go about doing a private message...

LOL you seem to have worked it out in the end.....

Hi everyone. Met my fiance in the Uk just over a year ago, visited him in Melbourne in January. To cut it short, we are getting married this year and I am moving to australia. Cannot wait to be with him, so long distance does work. Still doing the long long-distance phone calls, but if you're that much into each other time is immaterial.

Guest JayCook77
Hi everyone. Met my fiance in the Uk just over a year ago, visited him in Melbourne in January. To cut it short, we are getting married this year and I am moving to australia. Cannot wait to be with him, so long distance does work. Still doing the long long-distance phone calls, but if you're that much into each other time is immaterial.

They sooo do don't they, and with todays technology its so much easier to find your partner, imagine if the internet and telephone system didn't exist, you'd probably NEVER meet... I love the technology of today and thank it greatly for allowing people to meet each other and start new lives.

Guest zingy171

Hi. My wife and I carried on a long distance relationship from 2003 to 2005. She was in Melbourne and I was in England. We used to talk on the phone 3 or 4 times a week and we would visit one another every 6 - 8 months. I moved out to Oz in 2005 and we're still together. So, it can work :) Dont lose hope

Archived