citizenship by desent /partner sponsorship

Guest mands247

Guest mands247

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place, hopefully so, hoping someone can help. We have decided to get the children citizenship by desent, instead of putting them on the partner sponsorship application.

Can anyone please advise if they have been through this process and what is the timeline roughly?

I am correct in thinking that i initially apply for a 'citizenship by desent' to Australia House London, when checked and approved i will receive some sort of approval/citizenship letter?

Will i then need to apply for an Australian passport for them to enter & leave Australia or can they do this with their UK passport and the Australian citizenship notification?

Any help much appreicated.

mands

Hi mands,

We got our son citizenship be descent and the whole process took abut a fortnight, just printed off the form and filled it in and sent it all to Australia house, we had his certificate back not long after.

We then used this t apply for his passport which was very easy, you can fill the form in online then print it off, you will have to go to Australia House to lodge the application in person, my husband did this and his passport was bak the following week.

Here are the forms you will need

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/118.pdf

https://www.passports.gov.au/web/forms/entrypoint.aspx

Just a quick question about citizenship by descent as i am in the process of applying for it also, do you have to apply for an australian passport? i currently do not have an elglish passport it has expired and just wondered why people apply for an australian passport?

Guest Guest31881

Australian authorities insist that Australians enter the country using an Australian passport. any other would require a visa.

• 2 months later...

I know the situation for British Citizenship by Descent.

I don't believe you have to apply for it - you either have it by circumstance/entitlement automatically or you don't.

Therefore if you are a british citizen by descent, you can just go ahead and apply for a passport. You will need to provide appropriate evidence to support your application.

Hi Parleycross..no Australian citizenship by decent requires application and proof and you must obtain this if you want to obtain an Aussie passport..can't comment on the British by decent though.

I assumed that Australia would be the same, but seems not.

I am interested for the reverse scenario. I am a British Citizen by birth.

My kids are born in Australia. I believe they are automatically British Citizens by Descent.

They should be able to apply for a british passport at some time in the future.

I don't think they need to register or apply for the british citizenship. They just have it by descent from me.

The rules about British citizenship by descent can be quite complicated actually,especially for people born overseas to Britich citizens.

UK Border Agency | Who already has British citizenship?

f you were born outside the United Kingdom on or after 1 January 1983

This section also applies to you if you were born outside a qualifying territory on or after 21 May 2002 and had a parent who was a British citizen.

Whether or not you are a British citizen depends on the type of citizenship your parents had. This may be British citizenship by descent or otherwise than by descent.

British citizenship may descend to one generation born abroad. So if you were born outside the United Kingdom or qualifying territory and one of your parents was a British citizen otherwise than by descent, you are a British citizen by descent. If you were born before 1 July 2006 you may not qualify if your parents were not married at the time of your birth.

However, you are a British citizen otherwise than by descent if at the time of your birth one of your parents was a British citizen in Crown service, designated service, or service of a European Community institution and he/she was recruited to that service:

• in the United Kingdom;
  • in the United Kingdom or a qualifying territory (if you were born on or after 21 May 2002); or
  • in the European Community (for service with a European Community institution).

If you were born outside the United Kingdom or qualifying territory and your parents were British citizens by descent, you are not a British citizen. However, you may be able to apply to register as a British citizen (see registration of a child).

The rules about British citizenship by descent are quite complicated actually,especially for people born overseas to Britich citizens.

UK Border Agency | Who already has British citizenship?

I had never seen this.

Our son was born in Ireland. Both parents are British Citizens. We just went to the British Embassy and got his passport from there. It may not be the same for everyone.

Several years later I applied for Australian citizenship by descent, and yes, had to collect an enormous amount of evidence (my Australian mother was dead by this time) from Oz and UK then once submitted the process was rapid. The certificate arrived within two weeks, I then made an appointment to go to Australia House for my passport. All very simple really. The hardest bit was gathering all the evidence and signatures.

My kids qualify under the rules as British citizens by Descent.

I don't think there is a need for me to register them now.

They are also Australian Born Aussie Citizens happily living in Australia.

If they decide later on as adults they would like a British Passport, they can just apply then.

Does anyone know if I should 'register' them as British Citizens ? I don't think i need to.

Hi Buddys Mum,

the rules regarding British citizenship have changed over the last few years,once upon a time you could claim Britich citizenship if you had a grandparent who was British but now it only goes down one generation and being born to a British mother does not automatically give citizenship any more,it can be complicated in some cases but the basic rules are fairly easy to understand.

Cheers

Jo

Archived