Armadale

keith056

Hi Folks and Happy Easter,:wink:

I have posted this on perthpoms also, we are looking for some info about Armadale. The most impotant point is would you live there and if not why not, also any info about Primary schools would be good anyone that lives i would be gratefull if you could give us any info about rentals in the area.

:notworthy:

Thanks in advance Keith and Kelly

Hi Keith and Kelly,

we're still in the uk but have family in Perth. We were over there in feb validating our visa and they told us most definately to steer clear of Armadale, apparently it has one of the highest crime rates in WA.

Happy easter,

Margaret.

ive seen Armadale it has to great shopping centres and is said to be one of the next growth areas but no i wouldn't live there and that is the opinion of the aussie's i know as well without being racist there are too many aboriganies live there and it has its social problems like any poorer area the locals really slate the area just like kwinana as well but this is just the impression i have been given so please try to find out more before you decide i good way of judgeing a area is check out the rent prices on realestate.com.au

hope this helps

Guest leedslass

Hi

Just thought I would give you my opinion. We live in Seville Grove (rent) which is just out of Armadale and is really nice (lots of new building work happening), in fact we have bought land and are building just round corner from our rental. We have been in the area for 10 months now and never had any trouble.

Don't believe all you read about Armadale alot of these opinions especially from Ozzies are formed from years ago. Armadale centre has had a massive overhaul and there are 2 large shopping centres with all the big names in. The town centre has a lovely park area with stream/fountains and there are always events on run by council such as free concerts, movie nights etc.

When I told the people who I worked with I lived in Armadale they all had the same response, when asked when the last time they were there, all of them said at least 2 years ago!!

Yes there are aboriginal people (in the shopping centres) they are also in the shopping centres where the houses are no less than $750k so don't think that should be a factor.

We rent a unit which is a new build in a very nice estate and that is $310 per week, you can get house and land packages for around $380k. Alot of younger families and Brits live in the area and the house prices are creeping up. It was in the paper the other week that Armadale is one of the only place in WA that during the "recession" that maintained growth.

My advice would be take a look at the area and aim for Seville Grove or Champion Lakes and you cant go wrong, plus its 5 mins off the Tonkin Highway which means its really accesible for alot of places North & South. Byford is another really nice area but quite rural.

Hope this helps!!

:)

hi keith ...i personally wouldnt live in armadale itself ...but 5 mins drive and u have the hills area which is very sought after ...ie roleystone araluen....then u have champion lakes which is just in the makin and looks real nice ...we are only a 10 min drive from armadale in canning vale and go there often to shop .....like all areas of perth ...there are good and bad areas and it makes a difference what side of the road u are on [i kid u not ] ...so check it out for ursel u might be pleasantly surprised

mrs keily

I work in Armadale and wouldn't choose to live in the centre - the surrounding suburs of Mount Nassura, Roylestone , Byford and seville grove are very nice. Harrisdale is a new suburb (borders the edges of Canning Vale and comes under Armadale City - lots of new houses. Shopping Centre is excellent.

There is a lot of low cost housing (Homes West rentals) in the area, so do look round. The reputation of Armadale is changing and the shire is investing a lot in the community

I work in Armadale and wouldn't choose to live in the centre - the surrounding suburs of Mount Nassura, Roylestone , Byford and seville grove are very nice. Harrisdale is a new suburb (borders the edges of Canning Vale and comes under Armadale City - lots of new houses. Shopping Centre is excellent.

There is a lot of low cost housing (Homes West rentals) in the area, so do look round. The reputation of Armadale is changing and the shire is investing a lot in the community

I bet none of you has caught the train there esp at night

OMG how lucky am I !!!!!!!:tongue:

22 Years in the Armadale area and I turned out alright

My kids are good kids most of the time LOL, and how they turn out will be mostly

upto to me and my husband....

There are good/bad people everywhere

Also there are Homes West Houses (counsil houses) everywhere it is not like the UK/Ireland

They are spread everywhere and there is only so many you can have on a street

But hey each to there own, people just be happy where you decide to live

Don't judge areas until you have lived there, I know we have a bad name

But I know some of the nicest people you could ever meet.

I would'nt live anywhere but in this area, maybe the hills next for us

Thank you Ali, i just love your kindness and honesty with all your posts xxx

Thank you :notworthy:

Laney x

Guest siamsusie
OMG how lucky am I !!!!!!!:tongue:

22 Years in the Armadale area and I turned out alright

My kids are good kids most of the time LOL, and how they turn out will be mostly

upto to me and my husband....so so true

There are good/bad people everywhere yes

Also there are Homes West Houses (counsil houses) everywhere it is not like the UK/Irelandmany homes west in Karratha, some wonderful tenants to be had around and their upkeep has always been prestine, I would have no hesitation in moving into a HW certainly up north!

They are spread everywhere and there is only so many you can have on a street

But hey each to there own, people just be happy where you decide to live

Don't judge areas until you have lived there, I know we have a bad name true and personal experience is extremely important no "hear say from my sister etc etc"

But I know some of the nicest people you could ever meet.

I would'nt live anywhere but in this area, maybe the hills next for us

Thank you Ali, i just love your kindness and honesty with all your posts xxx

Thank you :notworthy:

Laney x

Long may you enjoy it Laney!:hug:its whats important to you and the family that IS important love Susie

Well folks thank you all for your advice and warnings lol:biggrin:.

Where would i find info about homes west houses does aanyone have a link to a website?

Also i have had a good look on the net for rentals but none of the properties in that area have pools is this the norm or am I just looking in the wrong place.

Irishgirl1 is it ok to pm you with a couple of questions?

Once again thank you all vey much .

Homes west are like council owned houses, but unlike the UK they're not estates ... like eveywhere you'll get brilliant people in them (been in a few little palaces in Armadale) and ones who don't quite look after them the same .... having said that the same can be said for people who own their houses too lol.

Armadale is an area that I think has some of the best amenities going.

Laney

You are right about not knowing what an area is like until you have lived there. I lived in one of the worst areas in Edinburgh for almost 3 years and although I would not recommend to people it did not do me any lasting damage!!:goofy:

Sorry if any comments hurt you!

x

Hi Emma

I am not offended at all, I am not trying to talk up the Armadale area, thats not for me to do, just to give my take on my life here after 22 years and growing up here from the age of 14, my family and friends have had no trouble at all, not to say some of my friends friends have'nt had trouble.

I know Armadale has a high rate of Domestic Violence, and not to say there is not alot of crime but it does'nt effect me or my friends as we don't get involved with anything that would lead to that kind of stuff.

My kids school is a good school so far they are only in yr 3 and kindy at the moment I might not feel the same in a couple of years who knows.

About 17% I think of the students at the school are aboriginal and the majority of them are good students and the school works very hard to make sure they are at school, people complain about it,but in all honesty I think it is good, our kids learn alot about the Aboriginal Culture which I personally think is great as it will give kids alot of tolerance IMO.

Sure there are some kids that are not so nice or not being taken care of as they should be (which is not there fault it is down to the parenting and what kind of stuff they are subjected to on a daily basis)but that is also good to me for my kids to see things and learn not to take things for granted and appreciate people, to threat people with respect and to see the conseqences of peoples attitude or actions.

There are alot of parts to Armadale, Seville Grove,Brookdale,Forrestdale,Harrisdale which as Ali said is a new area with houses being built, which pretty much borders the Canning Vale area.

We have everything we need here, great shops,hospital, the lovely Hills area and all the major highways for the South lead of From the road Armadale road.

Like I said there is good and bad people and areas everywhere, what does upset me is when people paint everyone with the same brush depending on where they live or come from.

Just to add I would'nt go on a train at night or go for a walk at night anywhere but that is because I am a stresser and a wimp, but so many people I know get the train at night they are brave IMO LOL.

I am not leaving the Armadale area but would one day love to live in Clifton Hills in kelmscott about 5 kms away, it is lovely up there.

Sorry for going on

But please don't hold it against me that I live here LOL :-)))

take care everyone

Laney xx

Well, i have to say i live in kelmscott, right across the road from champion lakes. And have to say there is nothing wrong with the area what so ever. Obviously there is a bit of crime in the area but dont all areas. Armadale hospital is fab. I flew from uk 33 weeks pregnant with my third child and have to say had a whole better experience. Armadale has all the shops you could poss need. If not then cannington is just a quick zip down the road. We like the area as hubby is plasterer and works all over, we are pretty central and live 2 min from tonkin and armadale road.

Schools, there are some good ones and bad ones just like any other are. My daughter goes to cliffton hills primary school, and its an excellent little school in the kelmscott hills. It has only a couple of aboriginal children. Apparently kelmscott high school now has an excellent reputation and is better than most of the private schools in the area.

where we live is really quiet, no kids in street playing, no hoons etc. but we do back on to john wollaston private school.

Looking on realestate there are some rentals with pools, but not many. But is there any need as you have armadale aquatic centre, also champion lakes has been done out and there is a swimming area with a small beach and a pontton so you can swim out to it.

There is some nice areas surronding Armadale. Byford, seville grove, kelmscott hills, roleystone.

My daughter goes to girl guides also in Armadale and all the girls are lovely and very polite and the parents are all the same not one of them are bad seeds.

But everyone has there own opinon, but unless you live or have lived some where you cant really make judgment can you.

Rachael

Where would i find info about homes west houses does aanyone have a link to a website?

Also i have had a good look on the net for rentals but none of the properties in that area have pools is this the norm or am I just looking in the wrong place.

Homes west are similar to the council houses in the uk ,they are all over WA if a new land estate is built the land agents have to supply a certain amount of land for homeswest, unlike the uk ,you are not eligible for these properties if your income is above a certain figure and it is low ,I believe its $400 for a single person and $600 for couples etc

Guest siamsusie

Homes west are similar to the council houses in the uk ,they are all over WA if a new land estate is built the land agents have to supply a certain amount of land for homeswest, unlike the uk ,you are not eligible for these properties if your income is above a certain figure and it is low ,I believe its $400 for a single person and $600 for couples etc

Mally certainly in London, when a developer is building, a percentage of housing has to be allocated for social housing:wubclub:Ken Livingstone still lives on:biggrin:

Homes west are part of the Department of Housing. The Department of Housing - Home

If you look on their website, it shows you all the zones of Perth that has Homeswest housing... as you can tell, nearly every area of Perth has been allocated Homeswest Housing and that includes ritzy areas of the likes of Applecross etc.

I do not have a problem with Homeswest. I work in Midland and deal with alot of clients who are trying to get into Homeswest accommodation. Like Susie said, these are regular folks, alot of them single parents who are trying to find lower accommodation, as most of them are on centrelink and private rentals take about 80% of their income.

I also don't have a problem with aboriginals. A lot of my clients are aboroginal, and I have learnt to embrace the aboroginal culture and have learned heaps. I have a great rapport with the local aboroginal community in Midland.

As far as I am concerned there are good and bad areas in most of the suburbs. I work in Midland and have friends that live there. I don't have a problem with Midland, however, if you ask other people they will probably run it down.

Good luck to you in your move. Check out the place you want to live. All of us are individuals, and what appeals to one may not appeal to another.

Cheers

Karen

Homes West houses are not grouped.

A certain proportion of all new developments are designated Homes West so that there is a fair distribution. So they are anywhere and everywhere.

These 'where to live' threads always turn into unwarranted scaremongering and are largely pointless.

My advice is always to rent over here for at least 12 months until you have a fair idea of where you like, where you don't and where you can best afford. Taking other people's advice, despite best intentions, is pretty risky really.

Homes West houses are not grouped.

A certain proportion of all new developments are designated Homes West so that there is a fair distribution. So they are anywhere and everywhere.

These 'where to live' threads always turn into unwarranted scaremongering and are largely pointless.

My advice is always to rent over here for at least 12 months until you have a fair idea of where you like, where you don't and where you can best afford. Taking other people's advice, despite best intentions, is pretty risky really.

Some threads are maybe Pointless but it has been very usefull to me and my family and i woud like to thank everyone for there advice and warnings.

Cheers

Archived