Any Advice moving to Melbourne end of May no accomodation to go too

Guest sharpie76

Guest sharpie76

Hi Guys im in the process of getting my 457 Business Visa got company sponsorship, we hope to be heading out to Melbourne at the end of May, i have been advised its not easy just to go and get a rental property, we have been looking at the eastern suburbs on realestate.com.au seen some rentals we like, im concerned as i need to get my Daughter who is 14 into school and we will be homeless when we arrive, anyone have any ideas?

I have emailed a couple of people through home sitting website but not got any response and long term in hotels is not on the list of things to do..... plus the expense.

I will be working in mount waverley occasionally and my OH will be working in central Melbourne city so will need to be near transport links for him.

would be gratful for any help

Kind Regards

Nicki :err:

Hi,

I have just left a serviced apartment in Frankston which is the last stop on the rail from Melbourne ( 1 hour journey). I do not recommend a serviced apartment ($180 per night). getting furnished accommodation is really difficult and there are not many that you can get on a lease. I would suggest you try somewhere which deal in holiday lets until you arrive and get sorted. I found that stayz.com.au have some good one's. Not cheap but would get you a place for a week or two.

Guest sharpie76
Hi,

I have just left a serviced apartment in Frankston which is the last stop on the rail from Melbourne ( 1 hour journey). I do not recommend a serviced apartment ($180 per night). getting furnished accommodation is really difficult and there are not many that you can get on a lease. I would suggest you try somewhere which deal in holiday lets until you arrive and get sorted. I found that stayz.com.au have some good one's. Not cheap but would get you a place for a week or two.

Hi Thanks for that info i will look on the website to see what its like, may do until we can secure a rental and get our furniture shipped over. Nicki :biggrin:

Kate Moving to Melbourne maybe able to help

If not, if you head to the information counter at the international arrivals hall (just as you walk out of the doors) they will be able to get you some great deals with hotels, appartments etc at upto 70% off the retail price, really cheap.

Guest sharpie76
Kate Moving to Melbourne maybe able to help

If not, if you head to the information counter at the international arrivals hall (just as you walk out of the doors) they will be able to get you some great deals with hotels, appartments etc at upto 70% off the retail price, really cheap.

Thanks for the information that sounds really useful especially as the rates do seem high looking at site prices will defo go and ask when we land.

Do you know how easy it is to rent?

Nicki:biggrin:

Thanks for the information that sounds really useful especially as the rates do seem high looking at site prices will defo go and ask when we land.

Do you know how easy it is to rent?

Nicki:biggrin:

In all honesty NO, but readings Kate's post she seems to have lots to do with real estate agents and is in your area

Looking at the area we want, they seem to be offering free rent for a month, rates neg, gym membership etc..... So I cant see there being a problem for us BUT I wouldn't want to commit to 6 months rent until I'd seen the house and area in advance anyway.

$180 per night seems alot, a hotel would be way cheaper if not have you thought about a caravan park? That way you can spend a day, week or a month..... May not be the best start but its a bed

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Nicki

Where you are looking for your long term rental will have some say in how long it will take you to find a long term rental. If there is a good school in the area then competition is usually strong. The rental vacancy rate is still at 1% so agents/landlords can be fussy who they choose.

Also I would NEVER take a long term rental before viewing it yourself (although these days an agent will not let you put in an application unless you have viewed it yourself).

To allow yourself some breathing space I would say 4 weeks in a short term furnished is your best option. Unlike other states, Melbourne's properties are done on an OFI (Open for Inspection) these usually take place on a Saturday. So say your flight arrives in on Sunday, you are not going to be able to look at houses for another week, so that's one week gone straight away, then if you look at the houses on that Saturday and there are 10 other families, you may put in an application and be unsuccesful so that's 2 weeks gone and another week to wait for the next OFI.

Sometimes you may get lucky and manage to secure the first house you look at, I have known people do this BUT most of the time they have jumped at the first property as they have panicked about finding somewhere.

When you are appling for properties take the application with you already completed and enclose lots of other information.

In regards to short term rentals Hotels are expensive and to be honest most of the campsites are the same The Big 4 prices are around $130 - $270 per night Melbourne BIG4 Holiday Park, BIG4, Melbourne Region, Victoria, VIC You can probably get a furnished home for that price and it will give you lots more space. You can get campsites for around $80 but to be hones they are very basic and you would only be wanting a week in there. We have had quite a few clients use them if we have not been able to find them anything else, the problem is most are very tiny and if you are a family and have 4 suitcases there isn't enough room to move and tempers can become frayed.

Enjoy your new life here, it is a lovely State although bring some winter woollies as it's starting to get cold now;)

Kate

Guest sharpie76

Thanks Kate ,for all the information provided it does seem a bit of a nightmare trying to sort out accomodation. I agree we do not want to jump at the first property we see and want a short term rental first. Although i want to get my daughter settled into school.

Fingers crossed we will find something.

Nicki

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I hope you dont think im trying to hijack your thread but im looking to move to melbourne around the end of November on a 457 visa. I am going to be looking to house share as i am a single male and thought this would be the best way to go. The company who i am ging to work for has 20 sites over the city and i wont find out until a month before i fly where i will be based. I have been checking out some websites for house shares but i also know thee is a lot of scammers out there. I thought about maybe booking into a hostel to set off with then looking as soon as i landed. Any help or advice would be great. thanks

Guest sharpie76

Hi There dont worry you are not Hijacking my thread good luck to you wish you all the best for the future hope someone has some ideas to help you

Regards

Nicki

Guest sharpie76

Me too cant wait to get out there waiting to get 457 granted been 2 weeks in processing hopefully only another 2 weeks to go!!!

Guest sharpie76

good luck should be a quick processing time of around 4 weeks at the minute sydney getting through applications fast!!!

Hi there, we are coming over in sept. Is there no such thing as short term rentals for 3 months for about $500 per week?

Hi there, we are coming over in sept. Is there no such thing as short term rentals for 3 months for about $500 per week?

yes there is. :wink: but unfortunately not in September

Melbourne Furnished Rental Accommodation Dandenong Ranges

Check with Kate http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/moving2melbourne.html

(if you havent already tried.) she has lots of rentals on offer, and if she cant help, i'm sure she can point you in the right direction.

Paul.

Guest The Pom Queen

It depends on the area you want to settle, as Paul mentioned we have a few furnished rentals which include utilities in that price range (not many and the ones we have get booked up fast) they are in, Point Cook, Altona, Monbulk, Silvan, Frankston, Seaford and Mornington.

If you are looking in the city then you will struggle as most short term furnished rentals start around $200 per night, some hostels start around $90 per night.

If you are looking for September you will need to start booking something soon.

Kate

HI kate, how can I get details on the rentals that you have in south east melbourne especially mornington? I would like to know how many bedrooms, how much per week, where abouts they are, maybe a picture? When do I need to book them by? What kind of information is needed? etc

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nothernmonkey

Dear Nicki,

We are in the same boat as you. Arriving in Melbourne at the end of May. Please let us know if you have been sucessful as we are also finding it difficult with this one.

Rob and Daniela

Hi Guys im in the process of getting my 457 Business Visa got company sponsorship, we hope to be heading out to Melbourne at the end of May, i have been advised its not easy just to go and get a rental property, we have been looking at the eastern suburbs on realestate.com.au seen some rentals we like, im concerned as i need to get my Daughter who is 14 into school and we will be homeless when we arrive, anyone have any ideas?

I have emailed a couple of people through home sitting website but not got any response and long term in hotels is not on the list of things to do..... plus the expense.

I will be working in mount waverley occasionally and my OH will be working in central Melbourne city so will need to be near transport links for him.

would be gratful for any help

Kind Regards

Nicki :err:

Hi

Cant help with short term accomodation but when you go for long term I found when i got here it was a bit of a dog eat dog situation especially on some of the more decent rentals, long line of people waiting to view a rental at the open for inspections, so I ended up writing a long the top of applications "due to lack of rental history can pay 6 months rent in advance if extra security is needed by landlord' this usually secured the property for us. Make sure you have completed the application forms and have all copies of ie bank statements, references etc.

My OH and I arrived mid-Feb and were booked into a reasonably priced hostel/hotel ($80 per night for a private room), which we found on HostelBookers. It was comfortable enough for the first week although it was a bit of a pain having to share a kitchen, and most other residents were travellers in their late teens.

We started viewing apartments the next day; not all of them have viewing on a certain day only. In fact one of the agencies gave us the keys for a couple of places which were vacant so we could go and have a look (we had to leave money/passports as security). We were quite lucky as we found a furnished apartment, where the guy was going to live with his mother for a bit to look after her, and he was ready to move out, so we moved in about 3 days later. It's a short lease (8 months) which may be why a lot of people weren't interested.

My advice would be to get in touch with a load of agencies just before you arrive, and be ready to do a lot of exploring until you know where you want to be.

One of the agencies told us that if we could put down a couple of months rent up-front, that might get you ahead of the competition.

Good luck!

Archived