Short Break - Any Recomendations?

Guest Hearne_Family

Guest Hearne_Family

Hello guys,

We are in Berwick (Melbourne's S/E) been here a year now and want a break from the normallity of working life here, I am hoping to find somewhere within 200 kms where I can take the family (2 Adults, 3 Kids 4 year old, 2 year old and a newborn) dont need anything luxurious as want to be out and about exploring a lot, we would like somewhere near Nature reserves/large parks, fishing spots, walking routes etc.

If you know of a place that might suite us let me know, even better if any of you guys own a holiday home somewhere and want to rent it out let me know.

Terry.

Guest Hearne_Family
Have you been to Ballarat? It's a nice enough place for a weekend and the kids can pan for gold at Sovereign Hill which is an experience if you havent done it before.

Hi Quoll, we have been to Soverign Hill before but we liked the drive to Ballarat that we would be happy to do it again, do you have any recomendations of places to stay there?

Terry.

Guest gary12

I'd suggest either Phillip Island, or Wilsons Prom. We have stayed in this place several times Noarlunga - Wilsons Promontory - Phillip Island and Gippsland, VIC It's nothing fancy, has solar power etc but it's quiet and for the amount of time you spend there it is great. There is no tv but even our glued to the tv 3 year old didn't miss it.

regards

Michelle

Try Maldon an historic town well worth the drive only an 1 1/2 away, close by you have castlemaine and bendigo.

Plenty of fishing holes, take the kids yabbying, you have a steam train, the bakery do the best bread but get their early, also try castlemaine rock! In Bendigo you have the talking tram and mine tour plenty of things to take up your weekend

Hi Quoll, we have been to Soverign Hill before but we liked the drive to Ballarat that we would be happy to do it again, do you have any recomendations of places to stay there?

Terry.

Rippon Cottage Self Contained Accommodation this is where we stayed over Christmas and it was lovely - the granddaughter loved the garden and the chooks and it was nicely set up. No affiliation etc etc

We have also stayed out at Tuki http://www.visitballarat.com.au/index.php?id=localproduce&dirNode=bus_4594db6bab9a1 which is more expensive but a nice place to stay to explore the Golden Triangle and the food is sublime.

Guest sioux

There is a nice camp site at Warnnambool (on the Great Ocean Road /Princess Highway) chalets, vans and tents, Kids love the seals and, at the right time of year, whales in Thunder Bay. go karting nearby, miles of fab beach, in facts loads and loads of stuff to do and see around there. Dont forget to give the dirty angel a visit.

You can drive the Ocean Road to get there too and stop off anywhere on the way. There are rescue animal sanctury's. we went to one which had loads of albino animals, wallaby's, koala, and a gheko type thing, weird but intreguing. Look for Hopkins Falls (nearer Mortlake I think) a nice little area for a drive and sight seeing not much for kids except lots of open area. Especially nice when it is full and it flows real fast billoughing over the rocks with its white foam.

Hope this helps just thought it might run a bit cheaper with the children.

Guest Hearne_Family
I hope you're going to tell us where you end up going.........:chatterbox:

I will do when I have made my mind up!!

As Gary12 says, Phillip Island is good, if you want to see the penguins (the main attraction there) you have to get there early and also rug up, April in Phillip Island at nightime is pretty cold, right on the southern tip of the continent there you will feel the wind go through you. The beachfront down there is good, maybe too cold to swim this time of year though. Just for interest - Phillip Island is the twin/sister island to Isle of Wight in England and has some of the same place names as a result.

Guest Hearne_Family
As Gary12 says, Phillip Island is good, if you want to see the penguins (the main attraction there) you have to get there early and also rug up, April in Phillip Island at nightime is pretty cold, right on the southern tip of the continent there you will feel the wind go through you. The beachfront down there is good, maybe too cold to swim this time of year though. Just for interest - Phillip Island is the twin/sister island to Isle of Wight in England and has some of the same place names as a result.

Interesting fact indeed, Phillip Island was one of the first places we visited as we came from the Isle of Wight, was surreal to be in Cowes and to grab a drink in the Isle of Wight Hotel!!

Also we will not be taking the break until December but I want to get it booked up asap as I know its a busy time of year.

Terry.

Interesting fact indeed, Phillip Island was one of the first places we visited as we came from the Isle of Wight, was surreal to be in Cowes and to grab a drink in the Isle of Wight Hotel!!

Also we will not be taking the break until December but I want to get it booked up asap as I know its a busy time of year.

Terry.

Glad you got there then, I love the IOW, my sister in law is from there, her family have a business there (garage) and I have downed more than a beer or two there. Another holiday - catch the ferry across to Tasmania from Port Melbourne, take the car, great short break.

Guest Hearne_Family

Glad you got there then, I love the IOW, my sister in law is from there, her family have a business there (garage) and I have downed more than a beer or two there. Another holiday - catch the ferry across to Tasmania from Port Melbourne, take the car, great short break.

Small world eh? Whats the name of the garage on the IOW that is owned by sister in laws family, I am in the motor trade myself.

Terry

Look at Untitled Document

I know this is miles away but if you are ever planning a holiday with small children this is a fantastic place to meet the wildlife (you just have to get into the aussie groove of driving huge distances)!

It is many, many years since we've been but the beaches around are beautiful, empty most of the time, and it was 'cheap and cheerful,' the birds and kangaroos were literally in your cabin! Many a boxing match just outside the door!

looking at the website i don't think anything has changed - including the then dated furniture

we have also just returned from the yarra and dandenong ranges area and there seems to be plenty of outside stuff to do. And so close. Particularly loved the Pig and Whistle in Olinda where they have real BEER (hobgoblin, speckled hen on tap) , kid friendly, good food and chatty pommy landlord. Would like to stay somewhere within walking distance !!

Also stayed in Lorne and Apollo Bay, lovely beaches, walks etc.

Look at Untitled Document

I know this is miles away but if you are ever planning a holiday with small children this is a fantastic place to meet the wildlife (you just have to get into the aussie groove of driving huge distances)!

It is many, many years since we've been but the beaches around are beautiful, empty most of the time, and it was 'cheap and cheerful,' the birds and kangaroos were literally in your cabin! Many a boxing match just outside the door!

looking at the website i don't think anything has changed - including the then dated furniture

we have also just returned from the yarra and dandenong ranges area and there seems to be plenty of outside stuff to do. And so close. Particularly loved the Pig and Whistle in Olinda where they have real BEER (hobgoblin, speckled hen on tap) , kid friendly, good food and chatty pommy landlord. Would like to stay somewhere within walking distance !!

Also stayed in Lorne and Apollo Bay, lovely beaches, walks etc.

I was in the pig and whistle on saturday, my nephew is one of the cooks there. It's a great English pub, I thought the same thing about being walking distance, although it is a fire risk up there. Did you see that they are doing a St. George's Day special of Beef Wellington or Cod and chips and a pint of beer for $20.00. Yum

I was in the pig and whistle on saturday, my nephew is one of the cooks there. It's a great English pub, I thought the same thing about being walking distance, although it is a fire risk up there. Did you see that they are doing a St. George's Day special of Beef Wellington or Cod and chips and a pint of beer for $20.00. Yum

Yes if we can get the time off I think we will definitely return. Only an hour away from home. It is on Friday 23rd April isn't it?

We were there on Good Friday and the food was good.

Just felt the toilets were a bit too clean to say it was an 'English Pub!'

cath

Guest The Pom Queen

Didn't see this Terry, but I would have said Wilsons Prom, absolutely beautiful. My favourite place in Australia, although have to admit I haven't been up to GBR yet.

Yes if we can get the time off I think we will definitely return. Only an hour away from home. It is on Friday 23rd April isn't it?

We were there on Good Friday and the food was good.

Just felt the toilets were a bit too clean to say it was an 'English Pub!'

cath

On St. Georges day yes, and if you go up the other road you can get into the Mt. Dandenong lookout observatory, it has a nice cafe as well and on a sunny day you can see right across melbourne to geelong.

Small world eh? Whats the name of the garage on the IOW that is owned by sister in laws family, I am in the motor trade myself.

Terry

Hi Terry, their garage is in Cowes and their name is Warren, although the daughter is running it now I think with her husband.

• 3 months later...
Guest Woody39

Nice places to see, I will keep this in mind on my next visit to your country, thanks guys.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived