Job offered, 2 week reccie trip planned, adviced welcomed!!

Cruella2949

Hey all,

My hubby got offered a job in Melbourne last week. On Sunday we decided to take it but today after chats with family and friends, we have decided to take a 2 week trip over an get a real feel for the place to make sure we are all happy. Eeek!

Does anyone know anywhere cheap but nice that we can stay for our adventure. We are bringing out three year old but do t want to blow our budget on accomodation this time round as it will take from what we have saved to actually move! We will consider anywhere as long as it's not some sort of crack den!!

Also, can anyone tell me what sort of lead time processing a 457 visa can take if hubby's job is listed on the CSL?

Thanks all :wubclub:

Hey all,

My hubby got offered a job in Melbourne last week. On Sunday we decided to take it but today after chats with family and friends, we have decided to take a 2 week trip over an get a real feel for the place to make sure we are all happy. Eeek!

Does anyone know anywhere cheap but nice that we can stay for our adventure. We are bringing out three year old but do t want to blow our budget on accomodation this time round as it will take from what we have saved to actually move! We will consider anywhere as long as it's not some sort of crack den!!

Also, can anyone tell me what sort of lead time processing a 457 visa can take if hubby's job is listed on the CSL?

The best idea have read on this site useing your head and haveing a two week trip to get a feel of the place.Can't tell u about Melborne hotel prices,as we live in Queensland.But all over Australia is mega exspensive.Hope u have been offered a well paid job,as u will need it.If u haven't got a house to sell,doubt if u will ever buy a house in Aus unless u win the lottery.We are on our way back home,but don't get carried away,think hard about what u are giveing up.It's not as wonderful as some make out.But good luck.

Hi Cruella

For accommodation you could try contacting Kate at moving to melbourne. She has various types of houses on her books.

I hope you enjoy your reccie, it will be hard to get a feel for the place in only 2 weeks but it may give you an idea of what awaits you. Just don't expect it to be plain sailing, migrating can be really tough for the first 6 mths to a year, its a bit like starting adult life all over again,lol

Hope hubby likes the job, it can be hard finding work so you at least you have an advantage over lots of familys,, good luck but im sure you will be fine.

Cal x

Guest gary12
Hey all,

We used Stayz for our holiday let, paid aobut $550 a week fully furnished for a 2 bed with small garden in a quiet street. Kate I am sure will be able to point you in the right direction. What you seriously need to consider is where you live in the UK. We lived rural and now live semi rural (according to some, we think it's suburbia :) I wouldn't have wanted to base myself in the city because although I love visiting I wouldn't want to live bang in the middle of it. We are a 40 minute train ride away. What will you want to do when you are here? Do you want to live on the coast? Commute etc

I realise this is a lot when you are only coming over for 2 weeks but I think if you stay in a place that is very wrong for you it can cloud your whole thoughts on a place.

Melbourne and indeed Vic has some wonderful places, Hire a car and get out and about. If you have time go to the science works and the Melbourne museum they are great for kids and very low cost. It sounds a bit anal but when we came out for our trip we planned every day pretty much, mornings were spent doing the boring adult stuff and the afternoons were always planned around the children. That way you can bribe them, lol! A portable dvd player is a fantastic investment too.

When do you plan to visit?

best of luck

Michelle

Thanks for all your insight!

Hubbys job is in Essendon. Does this count as the suburbs? I'm hoping that this means we can commute to there from a semi-rural area? Does anyone know if thats possible if he is prepared to drive 45mins to an hour one way? I dont want to live in or near CBD though I would love to live on the coast I dont think I want to pay over the odds for a sea view, I would rather have my moneys worth in floor space instead!!

I think we are going to end up dragging our daughter all over the place because we just plan to drive about everywhere and check out all the areas. The potential employer has given us a list of places to see as well.

I know that we arent going to get rich moving, thats not our intention. We will be sacrificing some security that we have here to try and make a change for us. My husband works so hard for us here that we never see him and the prospect is to face the next 30 years seeing him generally on a Sunday! I think as well we are ready to move away from our pub culture that we have here and start to spend some quality time together. We've been told that its all about family life out there and thats what we are striving for. If I'm wrong to think we can make that happen there then please do tell me!!!

As for money, I'm hoping that although we shall have to manage on hubbys salary alone for the meantime which Ive been told isn't going to be enough, I will be able to get my work sorted quickly and earn too. Our family had nothing special growing up but we have always managed to get by so I am going with the belief that life is what you make of it and if we dont give it a go, we will never really know!!

Guest gary12

Hubbys job is in Essendon. Does this count as the suburbs? I'm hoping that this means we can commute to there from a semi-rural area? Does anyone know if thats possible if he is prepared to drive 45mins to an hour one way? I dont want to live in or near CBD though I would love to live on the coast I dont think I want to pay over the odds for a sea view, I would rather have my moneys worth in floor space instead!!

I think we are going to end up dragging our daughter all over the place because we just plan to drive about everywhere and check out all the areas. The potential employer has given us a list of places to see as well.

I know that we arent going to get rich moving, thats not our intention. We will be sacrificing some security that we have here to try and make a change for us. My husband works so hard for us here that we never see him and the prospect is to face the next 30 years seeing him generally on a Sunday! I think as well we are ready to move away from our pub culture that we have here and start to spend some quality time together. We've been told that its all about family life out there and thats what we are striving for. If I'm wrong to think we can make that happen there then please do tell me!!!

As for money, I'm hoping that although we shall have to manage on hubbys salary alone for the meantime which Ive been told isn't going to be enough, I will be able to get my work sorted quickly and earn too. Our family had nothing special growing up but we have always managed to get by so I am going with the belief that life is what you make of it and if we dont give it a go, we will never really know!!

I should think you will be able to live semi rural, I'm afraid I don't really know the area you are looking at.

There is no doubt that you will spend more time together, there is no one else to visit :twitcy: if you are like us. Slowly but surely though you meet people (get your daughter into some sort of day care even if you are a stay at home mum, this is what I did and have made some smashing friends through the centre. You find that you get invited out more as a family, we rarely go anywhere without our boys and it's great. We live about 45 minutes to the beach and that suits us. We can get there after school for an hour if we want. Days out in the city are great and don't cost alot either. There are parks everywhere a really good one is Wombat bend park in Templestowe, days out here can be very cheap. The Docklands area has movies that you don't have to pay you just turn up with your rug and picnic or boat if you are lucky!

It is expensive here but many people manage on a single wage. It's incredibly expensive and daunting at first you don't know where to shop so you tend to do it all in one place. Bring with you all that you can, if you use it in the UK and it has life left in it then bring it.

I am sure you will have a smashing holiday, just make sure you make time for some fun! Pick up the whats on guide as you go through the airport

kind regards

Michelle

You will be able to commute to Essendon from semi rural areas.

Essendon s a commercial airport and Tullarmarine is the main airport and there are suburbs around there with rural type blocks of land.

As your oh will not have to access the city and just go to Essendon should be fine.

I like Greenvale and there are a lot of small acreage lots around there. Also this new estate Greenvale Lakes Estate - Master Planned Community 25km From Melbourne City.

Have a look at realestate.com.au.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JUSTINandLENKA

My wife and I together with our 3yr old moved here in November last year. As Michelle says you will certainly spend more time together - we have! Melbourne is a large city and very spread out so most places are a bit of a drive so if your going to live out a bit then the walk to the local is probably not going to happen.

Prices in general have gone up a lot here in the last few years. What we have found is that there are so many day trips and activities that are free.

Make sure that your husbans asks his employer to administer LAFHA (living away from home allowance) as its a great tax perk. Costs the employer nothing.

Good luck

My wife and I together with our 3yr old moved here in November last year. As Michelle says you will certainly spend more time together - we have! Melbourne is a large city and very spread out so most places are a bit of a drive so if your going to live out a bit then the walk to the local is probably not going to happen.

Prices in general have gone up a lot here in the last few years. What we have found is that there are so many day trips and activities that are free.

Make sure that your husbans asks his employer to administer LAFHA (living away from home allowance) as its a great tax perk. Costs the employer nothing.

Good luck

Lafhas great but you have to make the decision to stay or go ,lodge for pr and you lose it ,if you are intending to live permanently try and live up to the pr salary minus lafha and save the rest

Archived