Hay-fever in Australia - particularly Canberra

MikeW

Hi,

We're currently awaiting 176 Visa for ACT. Being a hay-fever sufferer I'm interested in knowing if anyone thinks it gets better or worse in Australia? is there prescription in Australia where you get free medication?

I'm sure hay-fever differs greatly from one area to another.

Cheers,

Mike.

Guest chris955

It's impossible to say really as it all depends on what you are allergic to, one of my boys gets it quite bad up here in Brisbane but my brother in Canberra gets it bad there but not when he goes back to the UK.

As you say it varies greatly from place to place.

My hubby used to have awful hayfever in the UK (he had awful nosebleeds started by the sneezing every year), and since we got here a year ago he hasn't had to take a single hayfever tablet! However, I had hayfever as a teen, which I grew out of. Since being here, I have had a few weeks where I have had a 'sniffle' that I couldn't attribute to anything else so I presume that it must be hayfever. Wasn't like the hayfever I had in the UK though, so may be not?! Who knows!

Guest Guest31881

if you start to develop hay fever after you arrive in Australia, try finding some local honey and start having that, as it made by local Bees it can help to desensitize you to the local pollen.

Guest funkymonkey

I'm allergic to red gum tree blossom here and get really bad hayfever. This year i have used rhinocort and that has helped. Used to get it very badly in the UK too.

Never used to get hay fever in UK but have it full on in Canberra in the wattle season (I HATE wattle with a passion!). Canberra also has "fluff" in October/November time and I dont know if it is that but there is something in the air at that time which makes my eyes have a horrible allergic reaction and I feel like clawing them out of my head. I'm going to get shares in Claratyne and antistine privine one of these days!

The aussie hay fever is so much friendlier than the horrible UK version (that stabs you)

Its much fresher and tastier too.

Give me the Aussie hay fever any day:biglaugh:

I also love Austarlian Hay fever.

A word for sufferers in the UK start taking your medication now and you will notice the diffrence if you keep up the medication well into spring.

When I remember to do it I suffer very little if I do forget thats it the world comes to an end.

Archived