Why are you moving back to the UK?

Guest Fuddymeers99

Guest Me123
Absolutely right we have just stared tell family here that we are going back to the UK in Sept- we moved here in Jan.

They are devastated but my sister in law said that when she as travelled it has been to only 3rd world countries and when they come back they feel Australia is fantastic- also lots of Brits are here because of the sunshine and lots of Australia's believe that it rains 24/7 in the UK. I think brainwashing is maybe a too strong term but I think that both countries are guilty of it to be honest- in the UK we are constantly drip fed doom and gloom and her they are bulled up so noone wants to leave....

never realised i quite liked "DOOM AND GLOOM" rather more than "SPORT ,BEER AND BBQ'S"....AND YES I AM UNGRATEFUL:biglaugh:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

There was a post on another totally unrelated forum, there was someone from London posting about wildlife where they were and someone from here said words to the affect of 'where does wildlife life in the UK as there is no green land', they were absolutely serious. When we were living in the UK we had a friend from Victoria come to visit, on the way back to where we were living along the motorway Steve (our friend) was looking amazed so I asked him what was wrong, he said he thought that it would be just houses in long lines wherever you went and couldn't believe how much green land there was. This is the sort of nonsense people get fed unfortunately.

Guest Me123
Been looking at rental properties in Uk and amazed when I check on google earth just how much greenery there is - a lovely reminder.

it's hard to believe how barren australia really is ...no wonder they are obsessed with sprinkler's ,trying to hold onto what little grass they have...must say though love to see lush green grass as i walk past...(on the crunchy footpath ):wideeyed:

it's hard to believe how barren australia really is ...no wonder they are obsessed with sprinkler's ,trying to hold onto what little grass they have...must say though love to see lush green grass as i walk past...(on the crunchy footpath ):wideeyed:

Do you mean footpaths in Oz? we don't have any here!!!

Guest Me123
Do you mean footpaths in Oz? we don't have any here!!!

we have limited footpaths here too...some streets you have to walk on the road..or someones garden..on their lush grass lol..:eek:

Guest SophieKin

It is nice to be able to see our old house on street view. Often brings a tear to my eye though!

There was a post on another totally unrelated forum, there was someone from London posting about wildlife where they were and someone from here said words to the affect of 'where does wildlife life in the UK as there is no green land', they were absolutely serious. When we were living in the UK we had a friend from Victoria come to visit, on the way back to where we were living along the motorway Steve (our friend) was looking amazed so I asked him what was wrong, he said he thought that it would be just houses in long lines wherever you went and couldn't believe how much green land there was. This is the sort of nonsense people get fed unfortunately.

Yes, my daughter in law said much the same when she visited with me last year - could not believe all the space! She did miss the hills but as my folk live in East Anglia that was hardly surprising and she went to Switzerland to see her folk when I went north to amazing Nth Yorks and the Lakes. When I showed her my pics, she didnt believe me!

we have limited footpaths here too...some streets you have to walk on the road..or someones garden..on their lush grass lol..:eek:

Lol- we have neighbours each side and back- after 4 months we still don't know what gender they are or how old as all we see is them sitting on ride on mowers constantly- they never sit out to enjoy their gardens or speak as they ride lol

Guest Me123

dont feel guilty..you tried thats the best you can do...at least your honest...i'm really confused i can not settle at all ...dont know how to get the thought of home out my head..makes me feel down..people say its cuz i'm not working too much time to think..maybe true i dont really know as i'm not working..cant be honest to myself never mind anyone else...

dont feel guilty..you tried thats the best you can do...at least your honest...i'm really confused i can not settle at all ...dont know how to get the thought of home out my head..makes me feel down..people say its cuz i'm not working too much time to think..maybe true i dont really know as i'm not working..cant be honest to myself never mind anyone else...

I'm sure it wouldn't make any difference what I did. We feel terrible because my MIL & FIL are in their 70's and not in the best of health in terms of flying to see us in the Uk. They are fantastic grandparents and my Bil's & Sil's are terrific aunts & uncles all the other grandkids are much older than ours and everyone loves being around our children- we moved here purely for that and it's cost us tens of thousands of pounds but we just don't like anything else about here at all. Unfortunately my family back in the UK are not really interested and we are worried that our kids will miss family here terribly now they've experienced it-but we hate it!!:arghh:

not many aussies have ever left the state they were born in...or visited the "sights" of australia...most dont even own a passport..............draw your own conclusion..:biggrin:

Seriously??? :nah:

What about all the gap year students that travel the world and the 20,000+ Australians that are in the UK at any one time. According to statistics something like 70% of Australians have a passport compared to 30% of Americans.

not many aussies have ever left the state they were born in...or visited the "sights" of australia...most dont even own a passport..............draw your own conclusion..:biggrin:

Seriously??? :nah:

What about all the gap year students that travel the world and the 20,000+ Australians that are in the UK at any one time. According to statistics something like 70% of Australians have a passport compared to 30% of Americans.

No, not seriously, but it makes them feel better to talk like this so let them be :)

Guest Me123

you always get someone on a thread for "returning to the uk"with comments like that ...if it's so great here in oz...what you doing on here looking at this thread...why arn't you camping,,,lol

Guest Aldo
No, not seriously, but it makes them feel better to talk like this so let them be :)

Who's "them"?

Guest NicolaRoss

Hi

Neither my husband or I found it difficult to get work. I am a HR manager and I do a lot of recruiting, and think in general unemployment is a lot lower here. I get paid more here than I did in the UK, but cost of living is higher. There are lots of positive things about Australia and I still love the country, it is amazing and diverse. And we will be back for a holiday at least every 2 years, but we are moving back to the UK in 2 months. I am married to an aussie, we have 'ping ponged' between australia and the UK. We have been here 9 months. Like most on here, we miss family and friends the most. Difficult to impossible to replace. My husband is also homesick for the UK, he lived there for 5 years with me. Things were tough for him for the first 2 years, and maybe I would feel the same after 2 yrs here. I have made a few friends whilst here, but not true life long friends like i had in the uk. We also live in a country town in nsw, I find that very difficult, but thats where my in-laws live, and with a 4 yr old I think family is the most important thing. However before we had our boy we lived in brisbane and we were much happier there. we originally came here to live in brisbane, but found it a totally different kettle of fish with our boy, i felt too sad for him not having his grandparents, and we felt pretty lonely, it felt a lot harder being that bit older. I'm not sure if this helps or not! I dont regret our decision to give it a try out here, we had to know. Many people have come over and been really happy. Just come with your eyes open, there are bad things as well as good. One thing I have learnt - good weather is not the be all and end all of life! Good luck with whatever you decide.

Guest lifeinmono
Many people have come over and been really happy. Just come with your eyes open, there are bad things as well as good. One thing I have learnt - good weather is not the be all and end all of life!

Also, what constitutes ''good weather'' is subjective. People seem to assume that day after day of heat and sun is everyone's universal definition of ''good weather''.

I don't consider constant sunny, hot weather to be ''good''. Variety is important to me and whilst people claim that you get ''four seasons in one day'' (in Melbourne/Sydney supposedly) I find that the range of weather conditions you get in Melbourne is nothing compared to the range you get in the UK.

One thing that I miss each year is the Autumn colours. Unless you go right into the heart of the actual city itself (where European trees have been planted) you never get to see any of the Autumn colours at all.

And you never get a real sense of winter in Australia. Great perhaps for some people who happen to hate winter but I find it all rather boring.

And the summer in Melbourne can be TOO hot to actually really enjoy. I've been burnt in only 10 minutes outside - which it has to be said is ridiculous and shows how intense the sun can be here.

Archived