Why are you moving back to the UK?

Guest Fuddymeers99

Totally agree re the education system. We realise as our sons and daughter are older that to complete their education in the UK is essential. I notice here that POMs can do very well in many professions and are often the drivers and innovators I see in a number of industries. However the thing to note is that they trained in the UK and brought that experience and expertise here.

The strength of our sons' core education that they gained from doing GCSEs and A levels in Uk has stood them in very good stead here - our daughter is in danger of not having that hence going home for their uni and her GCSEs. Also want to teach them a good work ethic - we are surrounded by teenagers who dont work cant be bothered and live off mum and dad who just seem to go along with it. If all else fails you can go to uni even if you're not that bright (second tier universities have very low entry criteria). I tutor at university here and am shocked at the low literacy standards. I am sure this is not the case everywhere in Australia but even if you pay for a higher quality school as we have - the standards and approach still lacks the focus and drive of the UK. Some of the schools I work with are excited at bringing in differentiated learning as if it is something new - schools have been operating this way in UK for at least 10 years.

I could go on for another 5 hours about education here - so won't bore you but agree completely with Rachel.

Firstly, what a refreshing change that someone is actually looking to get a balanced view point before they set foot on the tarmac here!

I think while everyone wants different things out of life, most people who are going back to the UK are doing so for very similar reasons - family, culture, travel, countryside, choice, cost of living. Personally for us, Australia is just not the right place and we can't image ever being here when we get old - and once you realise that the country isn't in your long distance future, there seems very little point in delaying the inevitable.

Australia, like Marmite, is a place you'll either love or hate. It's just a pity it's such a costly exercise to find out if it's right for you.

Of course there are plenty of positives to the place, but unfortunately they just don't really work to our advantage. Now we live by the ocean I've realised I'm really not that much of a beach person - high winds, intense heat, fear of finned creatures and small children don't make it enjoyable! I certainly wasn't born to camp, fish, surf or hike, and that rules out most Perth past times. I like the sun, but don't like being boiled in my skin and really don't like the odds on skin cancer here (with fair skin and freckles you will have to be REALLY careful if you come).

I don't like eating burnt BBQ meat or drinking beer - I miss affordable good food. I'm not a shopaholic fashion victim, but I do miss choice, quality and reasonable prices. I don't consider scrub land 'countryside' - I like green, hills and trees. I would like to have a garden that isn't surrounded by brown plants and metal sheeting. I would like to not have to give every spider a wide berth in case it can bite me!

We've got 126 days till we leave and I can't wait. I'm not expecting the UK to be anything other than it is, but I know we'll be happier back there with all it's problems than we are here.

Top of our reasons for leaving is the education system here. I look at what my daughter is (or isn't learning) and want to cry. There is no emphasis on education or intelligence here, it's all on playing sport and fun. Her teacher told me that school is meant to be more about fun and that they don't really need to do homework, as they work SO hard during the day. :arghh:

We came all the way here to realise that getting a bit of sunshine and a nice beach is not really that important in the scheme of things, if our kids aren't even being armed with the necessary tools to equip them for their own future.

So I may miss the blue skies when we leave, but if I'm honest, I won't miss anything else.

Rachel :biggrin:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gary12
Totally agree re the education system. We realise as our sons and daughter are older that to complete their education in the UK is essential. I notice here that POMs can do very well in many professions and are often the drivers and innovators I see in a number of industries. However the thing to note is that they trained in the UK and brought that experience and expertise here.

The strength of our sons' core education that they gained from doing GCSEs and A levels in Uk has stood them in very good stead here - our daughter is in danger of not having that hence going home for their uni and her GCSEs. Also want to teach them a good work ethic - we are surrounded by teenagers who dont work cant be bothered and live off mum and dad who just seem to go along with it. If all else fails you can go to uni even if you're not that bright (second tier universities have very low entry criteria). I tutor at university here and am shocked at the low literacy standards. I am sure this is not the case everywhere in Australia but even if you pay for a higher quality school as we have - the standards and approach still lacks the focus and drive of the UK. Some of the schools I work with are excited at bringing in differentiated learning as if it is something new - schools have been operating this way in UK for at least 10 years.

I could go on for another 5 hours about education here - so won't bore you but agree completely with Rachel.

I worked for a top ranking Uni in the Uk and the low literacy standards were shocking. Many overseas students had passed the entry exam yet when they started with their academic studies struggled. Low literacy is not exclusive to Australia neither is a good work ethic exclusive to the UK, good parenting is the driving force behind both I would say.

Best of luck with your return to the UK

Michelle

Understand that there are issues in both countries - but honestly the standards are shocking from home students - not overseas. In fact on my course I have 2 norwegians and a malaysian and they are far ahead of the locals with their overall approach and literacy standards.

Certainly agree re parenting - but my friends here are lovely people - really good families but they seem to feel powerless to influence their children's future and unemployment, dropping out of school, heavy partying etc is common place. My son has been travelling three hours a day to a course in Brisbane to help build a portfolio for entry to UK uni and they think that's nuts. He has just taken it in his stride worked his way through a pile of penguin classics on the train - and worked hard on his portfolio and gained a place on a top course. I guess with our approach and the UK system I think our kids will do much better than here.

I worked for a top ranking Uni in the Uk and the low literacy standards were shocking. Many overseas students had passed the entry exam yet when they started with their academic studies struggled. Low literacy is not exclusive to Australia neither is a good work ethic exclusive to the UK, good parenting is the driving force behind both I would say.

Best of luck with your return to the UK

Michelle

I find the exact opposit! My schooling in the UK was a joke it was one long party all through high school and the reason i left and came to OZ at 23 was that i thought if i stay here i will end up doing nothing much. Now we live in Melbourne and admittedly our daughter (nearly 12) goes to a private Lutheran school but i find the opposit, i know i came for the opportunities but i also wish people in Melbourne could relax a bit and not be so serious about education and work! Beleive me i am as hard a worker as anyone, but now i am finding this is ridiculous you really need your down time also. My daughter is not yet quite a teenager but she give all to her studies and her recent reports showed her average marks at 93%. My god i was made up back in my day to get into the 70%'s. I know it is totally differant and i am so please she had done what we came for, but a bit less competetion and seriousness would be lovely.

Guest Liverbird5

I am going back after nearly 8 years out of the UK (6 in NZ and 2 here). Having been a science teacher and have taught up to Year 12 in both countries and the UK, I tell people who want to come here that Education should NOT be the reason and that they must go with the attitude that Education is not everything - then they will be happier here. I thaught to Year 7 in the UK what I thaught Year 9 in NZ and here. However, once you accept that in this part of the world you will have to keep a very close eye on your child's education and provide continuous help (even in the private schools), then its fine. My younger son needs to be pushed and did really well in the UK, where they have continous tests etc. But here where he is asked to be 'mature' and do it for himself - well he'd rather do other things etc! I do push him but when you work full time, it is difficult to do all the time. Needless to say his spelling and comprehension has gone right down.

Also, for me - it is lovely to see the sun every day but after you buy that big house by the beach and visit some of Australia, then what? I watched the 'Phil down under' shows and think - 'so after you have the house and everyone is at work/school - then what?' Yes you can do lots but making friends is very difficult here. Australia is a great country for families of young children. But what happens after that? I have found the heat in the summer unbearable - isnt that what I came here for? NZ has the perfect weather but not the salaries or the trains. As both my boys play footabll I have always helped with the clubs and done lots but just dont get the same feeling from people as I did in the UK. Even in London you meet genuine people. My younger son will probably not get the high grades that my older son has got, but I do want him to be armed with basic qualifications and choice.

Dispite all this, the adventure has been worth it and the kids agree that we have exposed them to a different way of life and means they will be more adventurous themselves when they are older. It has done one important thing for me - confirming that I want to grow old in my home country, which is the real deal, not a copy.

Literacy levels are very low in all people wherever they are from. Have seen some imaginative spelling from people who were criticising Aus education.

Children will learn if the parents encourage, encourage, not force and even if they do not learn at school if they are intelligent they will get on and often go to university at a later stage of life where they achieve much more than going straight from school.

I get fed up with hearing education education education bad, I agree with the op chill out, not everyone is a genius and having two teachers in the family they have very creative skills at telling parents how their children are doing.

Its the child's life but these days parents seem to live through their children was our life so bad that we need to do that. I was always a parent never a friend to my children as they grew up. They actually tell me that they appreciated that.

I find the exact opposit! My schooling in the UK was a joke it was one long party all through high school and the reason i left and came to OZ at 23 was that i thought if i stay here i will end up doing nothing much. Now we live in Melbourne and admittedly our daughter (nearly 12) goes to a private Lutheran school but i find the opposit, i know i came for the opportunities but i also wish people in Melbourne could relax a bit and not be so serious about education and work! Beleive me i am as hard a worker as anyone, but now i am finding this is ridiculous you really need your down time also. My daughter is not yet quite a teenager but she give all to her studies and her recent reports showed her average marks at 93%. My god i was made up back in my day to get into the 70%'s. I know it is totally differant and i am so please she had done what we came for, but a bit less competetion and seriousness would be lovely.

I do agree that balance is important and as I work as a consultant in some prestigious schools in melbourne do understand what you are saying about competitiveness. It's very much about keeping up with the joneses there and which school you went to carries wieght for your future.

My kids were fortunate in the UK to go to an exceptional state school - so what they have here does not compare. Thanks for the comparison with NZ and Aus systems Liverbird - confirms that as my daughter will have to repeat year 10 in the UK that will be a good thing for her not a bad thing.

Literacy levels are very low in all people wherever they are from. Have seen some imaginative spelling from people who were criticising Aus education.

Children will learn if the parents encourage, encourage, not force and even if they do not learn at school if they are intelligent they will get on and often go to university at a later stage of life where they achieve much more than going straight from school.

I get fed up with hearing education education education bad, I agree with the op chill out, not everyone is a genius and having two teachers in the family they have very creative skills at telling parents how their children are doing.

Its the child's life but these days parents seem to live through their children was our life so bad that we need to do that. I was always a parent never a friend to my children as they grew up. They actually tell me that they appreciated that.

I do think that typos in a discussion forum is a bit different to low literacy in academic papers where literacy levels count.

We want our kids to have the best opportunities in life (choice) which in my day was reserved for the middle classes. I have one son studying medicine (his dream not ours) and one doing animation (his dream not ours) a daughter who if she stays here has been told by her private school she can go into retail becuase she is not academic ( fine if she wants to go into retail but actually she wants to do interior design or merchandising display, or graphic design, or hospitality or hairdressing or.......a whole host of other options) So regardless of level - I am afraid that education does open doors and provide choice - which is why it is important for us. Obviously you can guess we didn't have those opportunities and have had to work doubly hard to get them - My husband was the first in either of our families to go to university and gain a degree which he did last year at the age of 51! I am just completing a Masters degree at the age of 46. Our commitment is to give our kids the best start - giove them the opportunity to earn a decent wage to look after themselves and theirs and the rest is up to them. :biggrin:

I do think that typos in a discussion forum is a bit different to low literacy in academic papers where literacy levels count.

We want our kids to have the best opportunities in life (choice) which in my day was reserved for the middle classes. I have one son studying medicine (his dream not ours) and one doing animation (his dream not ours) a daughter who if she stays here has been told by her private school she can go into retail becuase she is not academic ( fine if she wants to go into retail but actually she wants to do interior design or merchandising display, or graphic design, or hospitality or hairdressing or.......a whole host of other options) So regardless of level - I am afraid that education does open doors and provide choice - which is why it is important for us. Obviously you can guess we didn't have those opportunities and have had to work doubly hard to get them - My husband was the first in either of our families to go to university and gain a degree which he did last year at the age of 51! I am just completing a Masters degree at the age of 46. Our commitment is to give our kids the best start - giove them the opportunity to earn a decent wage to look after themselves and theirs and the rest is up to them. :biggrin:

Fantastic post-it is all about choice and the U.K offers so much more just by geograpics alone, never mind eveything else.

I just get fed up hearing how bad the education system in Aus, for anyone who did not know otherwise, one would think everyone is illiterate,no brains etc, which is far from the case.

When discussing schooling it would be more appropriate not to chastise the system in any country.

For people who are thinking of migrating these education type threads are very confusing and worrying, when probably there is nothing to worry about. On top of changing countries they have to worry about whether their child has to sit under a tree with a didgeridoo and bat the flies away.

Please have a little thought as the forum is about migrating to Australia and although I believe there should be truthfulness, it may not be the truth, but only your experience here.

The opinions on education often seem very subjective. People bring their own biases to the table and often do not compare apples with apples. That's why I think the international tests which show that the UK and Australia have similar outcomes are useful for concerned parents.

We moved to qld 3 months ago- my husband is originally from here but has been in the uk for 20 years. We came here because we have lots of family here and none in the UK. The family aspect is great for us and our 3 young children but we can't really stand the rest. everything seems so isolated- there is no outdoor living as such as you see nobody out and about. I have made some lovey friends here and we live in a really pretty place but for us all the Aussies are interested in is sport, beer and barbies- there doesn't seem to be much else. They think that this is the best country on earth (something that I actually do admire- they can be proud of being Australian and shout it from the roof tops without fear of being called racist) just because the sunshines. Everywhere looks the same and takes ages to get to- for example if you want to live in a nice vilage setting you will be hours from everywhere else for commuting to work that's a nightmare. The birds squawk and the locals mainly use foul language in most situations. There is no choice or competition so prices are sky high and the education seems very lax-unless it's sport for which there are plenty of oportunities and that is great for some.Some people love it but if you have a great life in the UK there is certainly less here. My Aussie husband is desperate to go back to the uk-so we think we will stay til the end of the year to spend time here with family and head back in Jan. Luckilly we kept our equity in sterling and my husband has found work (executive I.T)here so we are able to return easily without losing too much (about £30k for shipping airfres start up costs etc) for the experience.

Holiday & Novelty but not for life

Good luck in whatever you decide- if you read all these posts and still want to come- good for you-it wouldn't have put me off either- you need maybe to see it for yourself.

I can't imagine where you live in Qld but it doesn't sound good. Can you move to Brisbane?

Guest Shreen
So knowing all the reasons why people return ... will it make some people reconsider migrating?

NEVER.

Everybody's journey is different, everyone has different lives and situations. I think it would be silly to base your decison on somebody elses journey. Its great that we have sites like Poms In Oz to learn about other people's journey's and i am truly thankful for that, but I would never reconsider my move because somebody had a bad experience. Where would be the adventure in that?! x

I can't imagine where you live in Qld but it doesn't sound good. Can you move to Brisbane?

We live at Highfields which is 10 mins from Toowoomba- a really pretty place- My husband commutes to Brisbane very day which is 2 hours- I have no desire to move to a city location when all the family is here. The place we live in has quaint shops supermarkets lots of open space parks (although you never see anyone).

My husband and I both simply believe Australia is not for us- he works with top execs in Brisbane and they all just want to talk about 'slapping another steak on the barbie Arghhhh.

We didn't come to escape the UK- we came for the family we just don't feel that is enough to keep us here

Good for some just not for us

We live at Highfields which is 10 mins from Toowoomba- a really pretty place- My husband commutes to Brisbane very day which is 2 hours- I have no desire to move to a city location when all the family is here. The place we live in has quaint shops supermarkets lots of open space parks (although you never see anyone).

My husband and I both simply believe Australia is not for us- he works with top execs in Brisbane and they all just want to talk about 'slapping another steak on the barbie Arghhhh.

We didn't come to escape the UK- we came for the family we just don't feel that is enough to keep us here

Good for some just not for us

Well just that most of the issues you label as "Australian" in your previous posts are actually totally different depending on the demographics of where you live in Australia, down to the suburb - just like the UK. As an aussie I would expect what you describe given where you have chosen to live.

The things you describe are not in my day to day life at all. It seems to me that you are doing the equivalent of labelling the whole of the UK based on living in a small northern town. I have lived in big cities in both countries and I don't think the differences are anywhere near what you describe. But anyway, good luck for your move back.

I just get fed up hearing how bad the education system in Aus, for anyone who did not know otherwise, one would think everyone is illiterate,no brains etc, which is far from the case.

When discussing schooling it would be more appropriate not to chastise the system in any country.

For people who are thinking of migrating these education type threads are very confusing and worrying, when probably there is nothing to worry about. On top of changing countries they have to worry about whether their child has to sit under a tree with a didgeridoo and bat the flies away.

Please have a little thought as the forum is about migrating to Australia and although I believe there should be truthfulness, it may not be the truth, but only your experience here.

This thread actully is about why are you moving back to the UK - our reason is because of the education and opportunities. No scaremongering intended a genuine and realistic perspective from our view point - as I said education is important to us and as someone who works in the system here and also in the UK - one I feel I have some insight into.

For others it will be less of an imperative and that's absolutely fine. We are sharing our perspectives to help others perhaps investigate further. That's all.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FatGuts

I find the whole opinion on Oz education quite baffling.

As a Brit settled migrant family who obviosuly lived in the UK (Cambridgeshire) I feel there is a much greater emphasis on education in australia than the UK!

We love it here, the kids are happy, leading bright fun lives, it couldn't be better. We are extremely happy with schools, education with a major push on teaching languages at an early age, constant career advicer nights etc!! Absolutely wonderful.

In saying that, I do miss a few pints at the local, foggy cold mornings and and the countryside. However goo the education you can't bring that to oz!!!!

Only my opnion, everyone has different experiences.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lifeinmono
I think for me it is the realisation that the grass is not always greener. Australia has the same problems as everywhere. Yes, it is a beautiful country with great opportunities and a nice lifestyle. For me, I miss friends and family immensely which hasn't got easier over the two years we have been here. I also miss England, the old buildings, the English countryside,

the pubs, the opportunity to travel to Europe, even the weather..............I feel like I am trapped here and after a while everywhere begins to look and feel the same. I thought it would be easy to return home for a visit every year, but the cost of flights and the time taken make this impossible. This is why we are returning to the UK, for us it is home.

I agree. Australia can seem a little one-dimensional, largely because getting away from the area where you live can take at least an hour's drive just to see somewhere slightly different. In the UK you can get to a very different sort of area very quickly. There is an AWFUL LOT ON YOUR DOORSTEP in the UK which, frankly, there isn't in Australia. Not saying that there's NOTHING to do in Australia - that isn't the case either - but there is a lot less diversity in Australia unless you are willing/able to make plane trips around the country on a regular basis cos that's what it takes in Australia if you want diversity and plenty to do/see. In the UK, it only takes a quick drive in the car or a short train ride.

Guest lifeinmono

Saying stuff about schools is utterly absurd.

It depends precisely WHICH school and WHERE it is.

I have taught in both countries.

My overwhelming impression was how similar they are.

Guest Me123
My boss was incredulous to find out that I haven't left the Gold Coast since moving here in 2008 and so hadn't seen Sydney, Uluru, 12 Apostles etc. It was a bit hard to not say to her "Do you know you pay me over a third less than I was paid doing the same job in England where I had 6 weeks leave a year and not 4!"

My missus's friends all say "But he hasn't seen Australia!," and she comes back at them with "Yeah, he's going to go back to England to save up to see the rest!"

not many aussies have ever left the state they were born in...or visited the "sights" of australia...most dont even own a passport..............draw your own conclusion..:biggrin:

Guest Me123
not many aussies have ever left the state they were born in...or visited the "sights" of australia...most dont even own a passport..............draw your own conclusion..:biggrin:

also a lot think it's great here cuz they have NEVER been anywhere else....:goofy:

Guest lifeinmono
also a lot think it's great here cuz they have NEVER been anywhere else....:goofy:

Aussies think Australia is great for the following reasons:

1) They are inherently a patriotic nation - like the Americans.

2) They have, often (but not always of course), never left their home state let alone been abroad.

3) When they do go abroad, it is often to Indonesia and similarly 'poor' nations that do not have the standard of living that Australia has. This reinforces their belief that Australia is great.

4) Lots of Europeans have migrated to Australia. This reinforces their belief that Australia is better than everywhere in Europe when the reality is simply that people come here to get more sun and a bigger house which is not the same as Australia being better.

Aussies think Australia is great for the following reasons:

1) They are inherently a patriotic nation - like the Americans.

2) They have, often (but not always of course), never left their home state let alone been abroad.

3) When they do go abroad, it is often to Indonesia and similarly 'poor' nations that do not have the standard of living that Australia has. This reinforces their belief that Australia is great.

4) Lots of Europeans have migrated to Australia. This reinforces their belief that Australia is better than everywhere in Europe when the reality is simply that people come here to get more sun and a bigger house which is not the same as Australia being better.

Absolutely right we have just stared tell family here that we are going back to the UK in Sept- we moved here in Jan.

They are devastated but my sister in law said that when she as travelled it has been to only 3rd world countries and when they come back they feel Australia is fantastic- also lots of Brits are here because of the sunshine and lots of Australia's believe that it rains 24/7 in the UK. I think brainwashing is maybe a too strong term but I think that both countries are guilty of it to be honest- in the UK we are constantly drip fed doom and gloom and her they are bulled up so noone wants to leave....

Archived