Why are you moving back to the UK?

Guest Fuddymeers99

Guest Nick Sydney

Hey folks a new member but one who has been here for 7 years or so. Visited recently and was in fact saddened by the London that I grew up and once know. Moving back was an option but having visited I am glad to have taken the plunge and stayed. To be honest I would not have the same lifestyle out there that I have here and also the same opportunities. Many of my family looking to get out but it has become much more difficult

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

Everyone's experiences and situation are different, as much as I love London as a hub of excitement and endless possibilities it isn't somewhere I would choose to live any more than I would live in Sydney or Perth or Melbourne.

The UK and Australia offer different lifestyles, some members in particular will talk endlessly of the sun and sport while others would rather more intellectual pastimes so neither place suits everyone.

Guest jackie cornish

Hi, we are moving back to the UK next month. Hubbie struggled to find work he liked, never got asked for aussie references either, but he got laid off 14 months ago and has had no perm work in all that time, I went back to work from maternity leave to cover bills, etc and it's been hard. Hubbie even did painting and decorating which is not his real trade to help out and it still wasn't enough. He finally went back to the UK last month and got a temp contract straight away in his field so he's happy. I like it here but also miss the UK (mainly friends and family) and will be sorry to go but, it's not it's all cracked up to be. Interest rates on a mortgage are at nearly 7% and are going up all the time, they have gone up 8 times in 7 months and our mortgage went up by $300 per month in that period and we struggled so decided to cut the losses and return to UK before the bank said thanks for the house!!

I have had a child here in australia and if things were different we would stay but never say never is what I say

Good luck to all those who make the move, remember it's not everyone's cup of tea and not everyone likes it here. It is really different living the life to having a holiday.

Jackie

Guest julesem

DITTO!!!!

We have been here for 3 yrs now, and although we have done well, the pull of family and friends for me is the strongest.

Cant stand the fact they are still 20yrs behind in their hairstyles, clothes, shops etc. Cant wait to get back to Tesco's, Marks and Spencer etc.:biggrin:

Going to wait till Jan 2011 to get citizenship, and have to wait to 6 mths before we can move dogs over as well. So hopefully March 2011 we will be back in England.

Good luck to all, those who stay and those who move back.

I think for me it is the realisation that the grass is not always greener. Australia has the same problems as everywhere. Yes, it is a beautiful country with great opportunities and a nice lifestyle. For me, I miss friends and family immensely which hasn't got easier over the two years we have been here. I also miss England, the old buildings, the English countryside,

the pubs, the opportunity to travel to Europe, even the weather..............I feel like I am trapped here and after a while everywhere begins to look and feel the same. I thought it would be easy to return home for a visit every year, but the cost of flights and the time taken make this impossible. This is why we are returning to the UK, for us it is home.

Husband leaves for UK tomorrow - have been in a state all week are we doing the right thing, grumpy English people on the phone will everything be doom and gloom when we get there. Woke up this morning a bit clearer Oz is lovely especially where we live but it only meets a very small proportion of our needs so home it is and we will make a good life there as we always have wherever we have lived including here. Having farewell drinks tonight with our lovely friends who i hope will remain friends for a long time. Then just me and kids left to get organised - we follow in a month. Wish us luck.

Husband leaves for UK tomorrow - have been in a state all week are we doing the right thing, grumpy English people on the phone will everything be doom and gloom when we get there. Woke up this morning a bit clearer Oz is lovely especially where we live but it only meets a very small proportion of our needs so home it is and we will make a good life there as we always have wherever we have lived including here. Having farewell drinks tonight with our lovely friends who i hope will remain friends for a long time. Then just me and kids left to get organised - we follow in a month. Wish us luck.

MrsI -sending you my best wishes and lot's of luck- sure it will be very emotional for you.

It's strange isn't it how the people back home react- they seem to take it as a personal insult that you are going back there- which makes no sense- unless eveyone likes to dream of an escape route to their life instead of just making a difference on their own doorstep they like to imagine it may be possible to come here and 'live the dream' Perhaps they think anything is possible if the sunshines.....

I'll be following you end August-very dauntng starting again but know that it's right:hug:

Wow, it is all happening! All the very best, I am sure that in the right place you guys will be just fine!

Guest Charnels

I have been back and forward three times now. I have been back in Sydney for 5 months and really struggling here after 5 of the best years of my life in the UK. I am lucky in that I have a good job, two boys have settled well, but after living within and seeing so much of Europe, and having lived here in Sydney between 1992 and 2005, it all feels so bland and "sameness" coming back here.

Have enjoyed reading all the posts re positives and negatives and I have just come to realise that neither place is perfect, and neither place is awful. There is good and bad in both and a lot depends on the time of your life, your realtionship with family and friends. I was very settled here for about 10 years but then got bored and homesick and decided I had to go back to the UK.

I went back to UK in 2005, mainly cause I knew my parents weren't well and I wanted my boys to spend time with them and it turned out to be the best decision of my life. They both died in 2007 so I don't have the same ties there now, but already I miss weekend trips around Europe, day trips in London, great pubs and REAL beer!! And coming back here, you just get reminded of the C list celebrities and politicians, the lack of humour, the lack of good journalism.

I am considering a sea change and moving up to Cairns just for a different change as I don't think Sydney is for me anymore. To those thinking of going back, be strong and follow your instincts. Do what is best for you and do not worry about what others think. Do what is best for you and your family, nobody else, but do not stay here if you are not happy. You are not a failure, it just wasn't for you and now knowing both places intimately, neither is better, they are just different with loads of positives in both.

Cheers, SB

Guest NicolaRoss

what a great and balanced post. good luck in cairns, queensland is fantastic, you will love it.

Guest lifeinmono
what a great and balanced post. good luck in cairns, queensland is fantastic, you will love it.

How do you know they'll love it?!

Queensland is EVERYBODY'S cup of tea, is it?!

The fact that you love it doesn't mean everyone else will.

Guest Kiriforge

Hi guys,

I need someone to talk to outside of my family. I can't keep asking them what to do because they give me the same answer 'it's your life'

I have been in oz for 2 years. I met my boyfriend here on my first day. We didn't get together straight away because we both came out to travel and 'find ourselves' we kept in touch and eventually got together.

2 years on he's sponsored and I'm de facto. He loves it here and I did too- for a while. For the pass year I've been home sick. I have an incredibly close bond with my family especially my sisters. Since me coming out here for a 'holiday' that turned into two years they have had children and are engaged. I constantly feel like I'm missing out. I feel like a part of me is missing. I have lots of friends and from an outsider I look like I'm having a whale of a time. My boyfriend and I want to get engaged within the next year or so. I love hlm-he is my one.

We went home together for 2 weeks, wev been back for 3 days. Not long I no. Wen we were at heathrow I couldn't help but feel like I'd made the wring decision and shud b staying in England. I absolutely live it there. Since I got back, I can't eat or sleep and I constantly ring my mum and sisters. He was do happy wen we landed back in bris but I felt suffocated like I was stuck here again. It feels like there is no end or light at the end of the tunnel.

I really want to go home but he won't. Ever. I'm not sure what I'll do wen I get home, I can't live in my sisters pockets forever. I don't want to live alone and I certainly don't want to live without him. I don't want anyone else. Suggestions on a postcard please...

Guest chloew
Hi guys,

I need someone to talk to outside of my family. I can't keep asking them what to do because they give me the same answer 'it's your life'

I have been in oz for 2 years. I met my boyfriend here on my first day. We didn't get together straight away because we both came out to travel and 'find ourselves' we kept in touch and eventually got together.

2 years on he's sponsored and I'm de facto. He loves it here and I did too- for a while. For the pass year I've been home sick. I have an incredibly close bond with my family especially my sisters. Since me coming out here for a 'holiday' that turned into two years they have had children and are engaged. I constantly feel like I'm missing out. I feel like a part of me is missing. I have lots of friends and from an outsider I look like I'm having a whale of a time. My boyfriend and I want to get engaged within the next year or so. I love hlm-he is my one.

We went home together for 2 weeks, wev been back for 3 days. Not long I no. Wen we were at heathrow I couldn't help but feel like I'd made the wring decision and shud b staying in England. I absolutely live it there. Since I got back, I can't eat or sleep and I constantly ring my mum and sisters. He was do happy wen we landed back in bris but I felt suffocated like I was stuck here again. It feels like there is no end or light at the end of the tunnel.

I really want to go home but he won't. Ever. I'm not sure what I'll do wen I get home, I can't live in my sisters pockets forever. I don't want to live alone and I certainly don't want to live without him. I don't want anyone else. Suggestions on a postcard please...

How does your boyfriend feel about moving back to the UK? My husband loves it here also but after discussing it with him he saw how homesick I was and has agreed that moving back is the best thing for us. I think men can find it easier to adjust sometimes whereas we find it harder to cut ties and live without our family.

Your family is right, it is your life and you don't want it to be miserable - we only have the one! I'm not one for planning my future and find it hard to make plans as who knows what will happen tomorrow. Being homesick has made me plan the future a bit more and make plans. I did a list of pros and cons of moving back. My husband read it and agreed with most things I said. If your boyfriend is "the one" then I'd suggest a big heart to heart, you don't want to look back in years to come and resent him or blame him for you being miserable.

Hi guys,

:hug: Life's a b*tch and then you cark it!

I guess the question you need to answer is what is the least worst option - here with him or there without him. Then you opt for that.

If he wont go then he wont go - you can ask him, go to counselling to be sure to get your point across, try and get some sort of compromise that you can live with and maybe even get counselling for yourself so you develop a repertoire of tricks that help you through each and every day. I dont say that is the ideal but if he is "the one" then those are the sacrifices you need to make. I would suggest that you dont call your folks every day - go cold turkey because the constant connection isnt allowing any healing, it's a bit like constantly scratching a scab, never going to get better!

To add to your confusion - you dont have kids yet either and they inject a whole other complication. The angst of your kids not having close connections with your family, the chances of you never being able to take the kids out of Australia if your relationship goes belly up, the isolation of bringing up kids without extended family etc etc. You do have to be very strong and self sufficient to bring up kids without a close support network and friends usually just arent going to cut it.

I have a pretty good idea how you are feeling - I go home every year, that is the compromise position for me because my Aus husband wont go home to live (he is responsible for paying for my fares!). For me, he is the most important thing and I can live anywhere even though I wake up every morning with an "OMG I am still bloody here" feeling. I dont have to like it, I just have to get on with it and sometimes it does seem like a half life but the alternative is worse. I must add too that I have been here 31 years with kids grown and gone and it isnt getting better so be prepared for a long purgatory.

So, tell him, try and get some compromise going there and see what happens. You never know, he may be one of the good guys who sees your despair and agrees to go :hug:

Guest chloew

To add to your confusion - you dont have kids yet either and they inject a whole other complication. The angst of your kids not having close connections with your family, the chances of you never being able to take the kids out of Australia if your relationship goes belly up, the isolation of bringing up kids without extended family etc etc. You do have to be very strong and self sufficient to bring up kids without a close support network and friends usually just arent going to cut it.

Yes, now I have one baby and one on the way I can completely agree with this. When it was just the two of us it wasn't so bad, having children with no family around is hard work and heartbreaking for all involved.

Guest MSTO

Yes, now I have one baby and one on the way I can completely agree with this. When it was just the two of us it wasn't so bad, having children with no family around is hard work and heartbreaking for all involved.

I totally agree too, we were not too bad when it was the two of us, we could afford the trips back etc...kinda ok with one, once we had 2 it just got too hard....hence we leave next week:biggrin:

Guest prodigy44

I`ve been here with my wife and growing family for 16 years, we both found work within the first month of arriving with no difficulty at all. So that was nice and also for good measure all my family where already here.

The reason we are going back to the UK is firstly we never came here to run away from the UK we are a adventuress sort of couple. We did it for a change and like most couples you start a family and things can change quite quickly. We are going back because it is boring, pure and simple. What Australia has to offer is just not for us. If it is what you want its a fantastic country but for us its too big and too empty. We have a big house, two cars, etc, etc but its all just a bit too safe. Boring neighbours and very boring town, all very quaint and ordinary, but that's fine they are all happy. I agree with a lot of what Michelle has said, so before anyone moves out here make sure you are coming here for all the right reasons. If you love the big outdoors and BBQ`s then this is the place for you. But if not don't bother.

Guest chris955

Exactly right. The reasons I want to go back aren't really to do with this country as such, it is because what I am into is in the UK and is very restrictive here. If you look at posts from some on here it seems to be all about lovely beaches and the weather and if that is your priority that is fine but for others those things are far less important.

England for me has a massive amount to offer, I'm not talking about Moss Side and other areas that are less than desirable but overall.

[/b]

I totally agree too, we were not too bad when it was the two of us, we could afford the trips back etc...kinda ok with one, once we had 2 it just got too hard....hence we leave next week:biggrin:

My daughter 15 asked will we have holidays again when we are back in the uk cos we dont have them here. My reply was that the only holidays we'll have living here is to return to UK at 20k a pop (that's what it cost last year for just four of us) that will nly happen every two years. In UK we can go to Greece/Turkey/Cyprus etc for a few K which we can afford. So really really looking forward to that. So is she I think.

Guest Woodmill

For us it is mainly financial. We're here on student visas and it would just be silly to stay with the current changes and the new ones scheduled. We can still go back and have a good lifestyle in the UK. Yes, we'd have the same here but no guarantees of residency and the strong chance we'd end up with no cash or debt.

I've not settled. The pull of family and friends is way stronger than I thought. Perth is (for me) just suburb after suburb of the same housing. In the UK you have so much more history. Europe is on your doorstep. Christmas is exciting....in Perth people make more of mother's day! In fact I can go as far as saying I despised Christmas here.

Shopping is very, very expensive.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad we've given it a shot....its just not worked out for us. I long to be back in Scotland and we're returning in August. The grass isn't always greener. Oooh, and I miss the NHS!

Guest Gunner
I`ve been here with my wife and growing family for 16 years, we both found work within the first month of arriving with no difficulty at all. So that was nice and also for good measure all my family where already here.

The reason we are going back to the UK is firstly we never came here to run away from the UK we are a adventuress sort of couple. We did it for a change and like most couples you start a family and things can change quite quickly. We are going back because it is boring, pure and simple. What Australia has to offer is just not for us. If it is what you want its a fantastic country but for us its too big and too empty. We have a big house, two cars, etc, etc but its all just a bit too safe. Boring neighbours and very boring town, all very quaint and ordinary, but that's fine they are all happy. I agree with a lot of what Michelle has said, so before anyone moves out here make sure you are coming here for all the right reasons. If you love the big outdoors and BBQ`s then this is the place for you. But if not don't bother.

Snap

We have also been here and NZ for 16 years. We have had many successes here, good careers, income etc.... Kids both born in OZ but like you we never ran away from the UK just wanted some adventure, left the UK with backpacks only and a few quid in my wallet.

I feel like I have nothing much to do apart from kids sport and dinner/drinks every couple of weeks with friends. I have travelled around most of OZ with work and holidays but now a sense of boredom has set in and its draining my energy. The things that concern me about returning are the climate, economy and overcrowding after so many years here, I guess I have got a bit risk averse in my middle age. The positive list for moving back is much longer. I think we will return

Pete

My daughter 15 asked will we have holidays again when we are back in the uk cos we dont have them here. My reply was that the only holidays we'll have living here is to return to UK at 20k a pop (that's what it cost last year for just four of us) that will nly happen every two years. In UK we can go to Greece/Turkey/Cyprus etc for a few K which we can afford. So really really looking forward to that. So is she I think.

I've not read the earlier pages of this thread, so I apologise if I'm replying out of context. But, I am always amazed when people think the only holiday they can have from here is the $20k trip back home.

Australia is a big country, a continent in fact, about 5 times the size of Europe. There are hundreds of places you could holiday for the same few $K that Greece etc, will cost. The list of options is endless, but to name a few there's the Great Barrier Reef and all it's islands, Broome, Darwin, Kakadu, the Red Centre, the whales in the Bight, wine regions of SA or WA, Flinders Ranges, boating down the Murray, Great Ocean Road, the whole of Tasmania, skiing in the snow fields, numerous Qld resorts and parks, Sydney... and that's before you look at Bali, NZ, Vanuatu, Fiji, Singapore, VietNam, Malaysia, etc.

Spending $20K on a trip back to where I came from is the last thing I'd do. You could get the rellies out here and holiday somewhere different every time with them, for less.

Cheers, Kazza

Guest rachellh
For us it is mainly financial. We're here on student visas and it would just be silly to stay with the current changes and the new ones scheduled. We can still go back and have a good lifestyle in the UK. Yes, we'd have the same here but no guarantees of residency and the strong chance we'd end up with no cash or debt.

I've not settled. The pull of family and friends is way stronger than I thought. Perth is (for me) just suburb after suburb of the same housing. In the UK you have so much more history. Europe is on your doorstep. Christmas is exciting....in Perth people make more of mother's day! In fact I can go as far as saying I despised Christmas here.

Shopping is very, very expensive.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad we've given it a shot....its just not worked out for us. I long to be back in Scotland and we're returning in August. The grass isn't always greener. Oooh, and I miss the NHS!

You mean you don't find it really Christmassy here when Woolworths is advertising a 6 pack of loo roll and water melon as their 'Specials' on Christmas Eve?! Yes, they really did! Or the opportunity to go down to Mullalloo beach with your Bucks Fizz, plastic tree and Union Jack on Xmas morning!

I couldn't agree more with your comments. I've lived in the Middle East and even Christmas there was more exciting - in a country where they don't celebrate it and everyone goes to work on the 25th!

We were back in the UK last Christmas and it made me remember what it's all about. Every supermarket ran out of sprouts with days to go. Shops were full of people charging round in a panic. TV schedule was taken up with ancient films and hour long Soap specials. The house was full of relatives you really didn't want to see and the temperatures were so low your teeth couldn't stop chattering. It was fantastic!

I'm currently packing my 31st box and am almost giddy with excitement at the thought of getting on the plane home soon...

Rachel :biggrin:

Guest chloew
You mean you don't find it really Christmassy here when Woolworths is advertising a 6 pack of loo roll and water melon as their 'Specials' on Christmas Eve?! Yes, they really did! Or the opportunity to go down to Mullalloo beach with your Bucks Fizz, plastic tree and Union Jack on Xmas morning!

I couldn't agree more with your comments. I've lived in the Middle East and even Christmas there was more exciting - in a country where they don't celebrate it and everyone goes to work on the 25th!

We were back in the UK last Christmas and it made me remember what it's all about. Every supermarket ran out of sprouts with days to go. Shops were full of people charging round in a panic. TV schedule was taken up with ancient films and hour long Soap specials. The house was full of relatives you really didn't want to see and the temperatures were so low your teeth couldn't stop chattering. It was fantastic!

I'm currently packing my 31st box and am almost giddy with excitement at the thought of getting on the plane home soon...

Or when they're playing frosty the snowman in Coles whilst you're walking round in flip flops and shorts

Guest rachellh
Or when they're playing frosty the snowman in Coles whilst you're walking round in flip flops and shorts

Or telling you that prawns and salad are what Christmas lunch is all about. That's just SO wrong! Christmas isn't Christmas without a turkey the size of a toddler in the middle of your table - preferably one that tastes like cardboard and lasts until Lent.

P.S. The very fact that you still wear flip flops and not 'thongs' suggests you don't belong!

Archived