Shortage of Tradies-Article from The Age

melbournegirlinny

While govt., pollies, DIAC etc. have given every signal that Oz is overflowing, and skilled people (and anyone else for that matter) not needed, so as to appear "on top of" the immigration agenda..... skill shortages, inflation etc, will grow.

Of late read about hospitality, hairdressing etc. expecting....

Be interesting to contest to see who can guess what the SOL will include?

While govt., pollies, DIAC etc. have given every signal that Oz is overflowing, and skilled people (and anyone esle for that matter) not needed to appear on top of the immigration agenda..... skill shortages, inflation etc, will grow.

Of late read about hospitality, hairdressing etc. suffering....

Be interesting to contest to see who can guess what the SOL will include?

After the the fiascos with hairdressing and cookery courses, goverment is very cautious with any trade skills. Skills processing is very stringent.

Few people I know that did onshore application as hairdresser (did a course for PR with no intention of becoming hairdresser) have their application frozen until 2011.

In other cases (as is the case of another friend) they are making ridiculous demands like getting a 3 year fixed contract from an employer.

Quelle surprise. I'm sure the ALP Government and the Trades Unions are delighted that their natural constituency is being suitably rewarded.

In the meantime the rest of the population will pick up the tab.

Thus starteth the seeds of rising inflation - remember that you heard it here first!

Best regards.

Guest sh7t man no way

ill be back in Queensland soon working--your article was an interesting read (thank you)---im an electrician so the revised rate of 100 dollars an hour,is welcome news--i think 85 dollars an hour will make my prices more than competitive-- i still think this is far to high,but if that what the market place is demanding who am i to argue with it:jiggy:

Quelle surprise. I'm sure the ALP Government and the Trades Thus starteth the seeds of rising inflation - remember that you heard it here first!

And gone are the days where rising inflation meant larger pay awards, now it means pay cuts and jobs moved to cheaper countries...

Guest Tom the Pom

If this is the case I'm going to be minted!!!

"Brisbane electrician Adam Stapleton says $100 an hour is easily justified by the nature and training required for the job."

I fear this is a bit of an exaggeration - What are the 'real' rates???

Well working for a subbie im expecting about $35 to $40 an hour on daywork,pricework maybe more.

I know from speaking to companies in S.A the rates are about what ive said.

Maybe "domestic/private" work pays more,but ive heard all this nonsense about brickies earning fortunes in the uk a cpl of years back in the redtops,so i believe things when i see them thx!

Well working for a subbie im expecting about $35 to $40 an hour on daywork,pricework maybe more.

I know from speaking to companies in S.A the rates are about what ive said.

Maybe "domestic/private" work pays more,but ive heard all this nonsense about brickies earning fortunes in the uk a cpl of years back in the redtops,so i believe things when i see them thx!

I was suprised too by the $100 an hour mentioned. I'm from Melbourne and have relatives who are tradesmen-one is an air conditioning electrician/engineer and the other a motor mechanic with his own business. I know the air con electrician makes $100 an hour when he works Saturdays-but he is very experienced.

I thought tradesmen like painters and decorators made more like $35-$40 an hour if they were lucky as sub-contractors. But this only really mentions electricians in any detail.

Brickies advertised 300 a day but remember in winter plenty of rain offs

beats 100pound a day (200bucks) in UK and getting rained / snowed off half of winter :biglaugh:

I was suprised too by the $100 an hour mentioned. I'm from Melbourne and have relatives who are tradesmen-one is an air conditioning electrician/engineer and the other a motor mechanic with his own business. I know the air con electrician makes $100 an hour when he works Saturdays-but he is very experienced.

I thought tradesmen like painters and decorators made more like $35-$40 an hour if they were lucky as sub-contractors. But this only really mentions electricians in any detail.

Methinks its what sparks are charging to private clients,sparks with their own business mate.

I cant see site work paying anything like that,its probably just the same as me pricing a "foreigner" up for about £200 a day,but on site a subbie (at the mo,its grim here workwise!) would only pay me about £120 on daywork

Guest waynenicola

you can earn $100/£50 per hour if its your own job you have priced because you can hide some labour charge in the materials, but if you are asked to do site work it will be half that per hour.

As long as you are getting paid a fair wage for a fair days work keep smiling and enjoy life, its not all about chasing the dollar/pound !!

all the george

Archived