Changes to MODL - 8 Feb 2010

ptlabs

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rufndtuf

peter thanks for the post. I personally feel itis not a BIG(good) deal! just the same old story with little more complications.. Feel sory for some of you who applied before sep 2007. I did not find anything useful in anyof the links.. May be i would have missed it and if anyting exists pls keep me informed......... LONG wait aheaddddddddd........... never know I (we) may never make it........ Minister, Immigration, DIAC, new rules everything sucks.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Peter

Thank you very much indeed for getting news of the changes onto Poms in Oz as soon as you have.

It looks like te Witching Hour will be at midnight Canberra time tonight? Or does the Minister mean midnight on 8th February 2010?

I haven't read all the changes yet. I am GOBSMACKED by the Minister's decision to use the cap & cease provisions for all GSM applications made before 1st September 2007, including those which are presently at the MRT. The man must be mad. Somebody is sure to invoke the inherent jurisdiction of the Courts in Australia about this, I would think. Allowing the GSM backlog to grow like Topsy is not an exceptional situation. It is caused by Government mismanagement and nothing else. If the Minister were minded to take such a drastic step, it should have been taken ages ago, not in February 2010, it seems to me.

I was expecting the MODL to be cancelled for everyone except existing applicants, in effect. I don't think that will upset offshore applicants particularly because they should still get enough points for their visas via the State sponsored sc 176 visa instead.

I haven't read anything else as yet but I have cleared the "sticky" section down so that yours is the only important thread in it.

Very many thanks again for acting so fast. :notworthy:

Cheers

Gill

Losing the extra 15 or so points for an occupation on the MODL makes it that much more difficult to get 120 points for a 175 visa. For someone like myself (37, single, in a 60 point occupation) then the most points that could be scored would be 115 (or 105 in my case).

A 176 has a lower pass (100 points), along with an extra 10 for state sponsorship, and having a job offer also helps.

So I think that it's a way of restricting the 175 visa without having to make legal changes to achieve this. The noises coming out of DIAC were that this was coming.

Incidentally, it seems that hairdressers are being picked on the worked points example given in this linked document.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-points-test.pdf

I think that this indicates the way that policy is moving in.

So -trying to get my head round this- basically if you are going for a skilled asessment now in an occupation currently on the SOL and you then intend to apply for state sponsorship which is taking months and months to process- you may well be unable to make an application prior to the new SOL being published in April and lots of families will be up the creek without a paddle and even more AGAIN come mid year when the new SOL takes effect? Why are people being expected to shell out hard earned cash and gamble on their futures in this way? My head hurts!

Looking at the Cap and Cease document, I'm wondering if this is going to be a rolling cut-off. Given that 1/9/07 was about 2 1/2 years ago then a lot of those having a long wait after 23/9/09 could also get the chop.

Virtual_bajwa, I'm really sorry to hear how things panned out for you.

Rocki, apply for a 175 now, and change to 176 when you receive SS.

Truely feel sorry for peeps that are going to be affected by this.My heart goes out to you.

From a "selfish" point of view, I dont think we personally are going to be affected. we lodged on the 8th Jan 2010, Nurse csl and qld SS. We are still going to get PR straight away (unless I have missed something) and still cat 2 priority processing as the the regional state migration plans are not up and running yet. when they are we will go into cat 3 as the plans will become cat 2.

I think I have read this correctly?

JOHN

Looking at the Cap and Cease document, I'm wondering if this is going to be a rolling cut-off. Given that 1/9/07 was about 2 1/2 years ago then a lot of those having a long wait after 23/9/09 could also get the chop.

Virtual_bajwa, I'm really sorry to hear how things panned out for you.

Rocki, apply for a 175 now, and change to 176 when you receive SS.

I am ruined. I can not understand what sort of fuc**** decision is this? I like to cry now:cry::cry::cry:

Guest grooovy

virtual_bajwa, my deepest sympathies to you. So sad...

I am wondering, what will be with IT applicants from CSL? Since MODL is cancelled, will they fall into CSL now or...?

Any ideas?

I am ruined. I can not understand what sort of fuc**** decision is this? I like to cry now:cry::cry::cry:

I am really sorry to see that you will be adversely affected by these changes.

One thing I was wondering about... for you and the other 20 000 people who will be in the same shoes.... it says you will be given refunds.... is there any reason preventing you from applying again? I know you have gone through nearly 3 years of this already... but just from a practical "what if" point of view... does legislation prevent you from doing so.... could you potentially be in a better situation of being processed quicker if you WERE to re apply?

virtual_bajwa, my deepest sympathies to you. So sad...

I am wondering, what will be with IT applicants from CSL? Since MODL is cancelled, will they fall into CSL now or...?

Any ideas?

OK, checked MODL page on immi web site http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/skilled-occupations/occupations-in-demand.htm

and seems to indicate that CSL and MODL points are frozen for pre 8th Feb applicant???

I'm not sure what happens with new applicants??:huh:

Guest mikka711

Really sorry virtual bajwa, hope you can find someway round this so you can get to Oz in the end..

I am really sorry to see that you will be adversely affected by these changes.

One thing I was wondering about... for you and the other 20 000 people who will be in the same shoes.... it says you will be given refunds.... is there any reason preventing you from applying again? I know you have gone through nearly 3 years of this already... but just from a practical "what if" point of view... does legislation prevent you from doing so.... could you potentially be in a better situation of being processed quicker if you WERE to re apply?

Yes, the VAC will be returned to applicants, as referred Q3 in here: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-offshore-preseptember.pdf, sori for those who have been affected,,,,,,,,

Guest southerngent

OK,really bad news for pre sept 07 apps - it really stinks ( however please remember there maybe place left!! so keep the faith).

This could be good news for existing cat 5 applicants as new applicants should be frozen due to lack of MODL points and suspension of the SOL till April, I assume this will hit New CSL Applications in the short term.

Thus Existing Cat 5`s will be top of the tree for a few weeks.

OK,really bad news for pre sept 09 apps - it really stinks ( however please remember there maybe place left!! so keep the faith).

This could be good news for existing cat 5 applicants as new applicants should be frozen due to lack of MODL points and suspension of the SOL till April, I assume this will hit New CSL Applications in the short term.

Thus Existing Cat 5`s will be top of the tree for a few weeks.

good thought, but I was wonderin how many are the existing CSL apps....

Archived