Guest guest36187

Hi everyone, finding all this info very helpful!

My hubby and I are in the process of applying for perm residence and the thought of my parents not coming over is heartbreaking! Luckily they have the funds to afford the CPV but my questions are as follows:

1/ Am I right in thinking they cannot even apply until after we have been there two years?

2/ If this is the case any suggesteions for visas they could come out on before which would still allow them to work (dad 57, mum 55yrs) and allow them to apply on shore for the CPV?

3/ After reading a few comments on here it sounds quicker to apply on shore for a CPV so this option obviously sounds more appealing, Im just wondering what visa they can have there allowing you to apply for a CPV at the same time?

4/ Also regarding a temp or perm CPV, with a temp could they apply without us having to be there 2 years? and how long does the process take?

Any info would be very much appreciated, Kate :-)

One good reason for the application only being accepted once the sponsor is settled is that you (the sponsor) might not settle in Australia. So amongst other things, a very significant amount of money could be wasted.

The "settled" test is the same for both visa types, the 143 or 173, and the processing time is the same. At the moment it seems to be around a year.

Good luck with the planning!

Oh ok thats interesting, I thought it was set in stone you had to be a perm resident for 2 years before being able to apply. Thank you for the info!

Exercise care with parents applying within 2 years of the sponsoring child commencing living in Australia. The Parents Visa Centre is now taking a stronger line on the "settled sponsor" issue.

Best regards.

Oh ok thats interesting, I thought it was set in stone you had to be a perm resident for 2 years before being able to apply. Thank you for the info!

Hi

It's more a question of a 'state' rather than a length of time. You need to prove you are 'settled' and they take into consideration things like if you own a house, car, have a permanent job, children in school etc. There is someone on here who was sponsored by her daughter after 11 months, but she was able to prove she was quite involved in the local community.

Unfortunately there is no other visitor visa which will allow them to work, unless they could get sponsored on a temporary 457 visa, which would allow them to be in Australia for up to 4 years, while their parent visa was processed. They would need to go offshore for the visa to be granted. Unfortunately I don't know much about the 457, but you could post in the general immigration forum and have a look at DIAC website.

Hi

It's more a question of a 'state' rather than a length of time. You need to prove you are 'settled' and they take into consideration things like if you own a house, car, have a permanent job, children in school etc. There is someone on here who was sponsored by her daughter after 11 months, but she was able to prove she was quite involved in the local community.

Unfortunately there is no other visitor visa which will allow them to work, unless they could get sponsored on a temporary 457 visa, which would allow them to be in Australia for up to 4 years, while their parent visa was processed. They would need to go offshore for the visa to be granted. Unfortunately I don't know much about the 457, but you could post in the general immigration forum and have a look at DIAC website.

Again, I refer you to my above comment re the settled sponsor issue.

Best regards.

Again, I refer you to my above comment re the settled sponsor issue.

Best regards.

Take note of Alan's advice!! The Australian authorities are taking a tougher line. Some negative decisions have been overturned on appeal - but do you really want to go through that process.

Charlie

Take note of Alan's advice!! The Australian authorities are taking a tougher line. Some negative decisions have been overturned on appeal - but do you really want to go through that process.

Charlie

Yep, by the time you have paid for a MRT appeal and the appeal has been heard you could have applied for another CP visa.

And in the meantime you are still unable to move to Australia (unless you are applying for an onshore visa as an Aged Parent, which is likely to have somewhat different drivers compared to an offshore visa application).

Best regards.

Guest guest36187

Plus if you are on a 457 you cannot sponsor parents. You have to be a permanent resident. If DIAC say two years, then people should respect that

Exercise care with parents applying within 2 years of the sponsoring child commencing living in Australia. The Parents Visa Centre is now taking a stronger line on the "settled sponsor" issue.

Best regards.

This 'stronger line' seems odd given that people are paying for the visa and it has been suggested they are having problems filling the allocated 143 places this year.

With talk of the non-CPV allocation being doubled I would of thought anyone willing to pay to get in would be welcome.

Some time frame is needed IMHO but maybe 1 year could be used plus the CPV application time would give approx 2 years to CPV finial payment from child's arrival in Oz.

We applied after 15 months in 2009, 2 months after our son and d-i-y bought their 'house', no problem then.

Not suggesting that would work now.

Hi everyone,

We are sitting in the Business Class Lounge (Emirates) at Gatwick on our way to Australia! The goodbyes have been very hard and we are a bit discombobulated at the moment but it will be well worth it all when we arrive at our Daughter's house on Tuesday morning. Will keep you all informed of how we get on, but for now, those who are waiting for the CPV - keep the faith, it will arrive eventually! (It actually feels a bit unreal at the moment, so I think that calls for another glass of champagne!)

Best wishes to everyone

David& Gill

Have one for me - I'm having a bad day! We may be days away from getting our Visas but have the long wait to sell our house now and its tipping it down and freezing.

Have a great journey and all the best in your new life Down Under. Hope it won't be too long till we're in your position.

Never ever travelled in anything other than cattle class - I rather envy you. They seem to see us coming and , even when we've tried to reserve 'good' seats we always seem unlucky getting hemmed in by a sleeper or disturbed by a jitter bug or screaming child!

Enough of my moaning - I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday when you join your family and the real adventure begins. Hope the ash clouds don't affect your flight

Hi everyone,

We are sitting in the Business Class Lounge (Emirates) at Gatwick on our way to Australia! The goodbyes have been very hard and we are a bit discombobulated at the moment but it will be well worth it all when we arrive at our Daughter's house on Tuesday morning. Will keep you all informed of how we get on, but for now, those who are waiting for the CPV - keep the faith, it will arrive eventually! (It actually feels a bit unreal at the moment, so I think that calls for another glass of champagne!)

Best wishes to everyone

David& Gill

It doesn't seem like 7 months ago that we too were sitting in the self same lounge at Gatwick feeling rather like you. Enjoy the flight, if you're anything like us it is both the first and last time turning left at the aircraft door but worth it for the flight to end all flights!

It doesn't seem like 7 months ago that we too were sitting in the self same lounge at Gatwick feeling rather like you. Enjoy the flight, if you're anything like us it is both the first and last time turning left at the aircraft door but worth it for the flight to end all flights!

Hear, hear....we left the UK at the end of October, but seeing your message brings the emotions straight back.

We have just enjoyed a Sunday lunch with both our children, their spouses, our two granddaughters and the labradoodle.....something we could only dream of in the UK.

Good luck to you....it is all worthwhile.

Julie and Ian

Hi everyone,

Best wishes to everyone

David& Gill

Hi DavidandGill

Yes, I agree, it does all feel a little bit unreal. We have been in Australia for a full week now and I still feel a bit like we are on holiday! We have been told that we should give it about a month before it seems real.

Have one for me - I'm having a bad day! We may be days away from getting our Visas but have the long wait to sell our house now and its tipping it down and freezing.

Have a great journey and all the best in your new life Down Under. Hope it won't be too long till we're in your position.

Never ever travelled in anything other than cattle class - I rather envy you. They seem to see us coming and , even when we've tried to reserve 'good' seats we always seem unlucky getting hemmed in by a sleeper or disturbed by a jitter bug or screaming child!

Enough of my moaning - I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday when you join your family and the real adventure begins. Hope the ash clouds don't affect your flight

Hang on in there. It is frustrating, but you will get there. Remember, it only takes one person to want to buy your house. Fingers crossed for you.

Hi everyone,

Best wishes to everyone

David& Gill

Hi there best of luck to you both, we will be in the same boat in 3 wks time but not business class unfortunately.

Hope you have a nice flight.

Wilma x

In the unlikely event we sell our house for more than we expected we may be able to go Business Class but I'd rather put the money towards a new car/things for our new home. Its only for 24 hours after all and after all the ups and downs so far we can put up with a bit of discomfort!

At least we just got confirmation from our agent -WE NOW HAVE OUR VISAS!!!!!!!!:chatterbox:

Hi everyone,

Best wishes to everyone

David& Gill

Did we need to know which lounge?? good luck with the move.

Hi everyone,

Best wishes to everyone

David& Gill

We will be sitting there on Wednesday for the last leg of our journey on the way back from an 8 week trip to Oz :cry: courtesy of Skywards miles :wink:

Phoebe

In the unlikely event we sell our house for more than we expected we may be able to go Business Class but I'd rather put the money towards a new car/things for our new home. Its only for 24 hours after all and after all the ups and downs so far we can put up with a bit of discomfort!

At least we just got confirmation from our agent -WE NOW HAVE OUR VISAS!!!!!!!!:chatterbox:

CONGRATULATIONS

Great news so happy for you guys, good luck with the house sale.

Wilma x

Congrats great news for you and a much more sensible way of spending your cash you could always e-mail from the cattle class lounge when on your way.

cheers mike.:jiggy:

Lord, give me patience ..... but give it to me NOW! 5.gif

.......just got confirmation from our agent -WE HAVE OUR VISAS!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on the visa:jiggy:, hoping we get the 2nd vac request soon. Houses are hard to sell but, as has been said, you are only selling to one person, JUST NEED THEM TO COME SOON:arghh:

Congratulations on the visa:jiggy:, hoping we get the 2nd vac request soon. Houses are hard to sell but, as has been said, you are only selling to one person, JUST NEED THEM TO COME SOON:arghh:

Good luck - you should be there soon!

Can't believe it happened in less than 400 days for us! - exactly 13 months from acknowledgement to Visa granted

Congratulations to you both & GOOD LUCK with the house sale

Katie xx