Guest guest36187

Hi, just looking for some info.

Reading these posts, does it mean that once i am out living in Oz, I would be able to sponsor my parent's visa? Or not?

Thanks

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone & Catherine

First of all it will depend how many (if any) brothers and sisters Catherine has. To get past first base she can only have none or one sibling in the UK. If your in laws pass the balance of family test you will then have to be deemed as 'settled' before they can begin the visa process. Usually that would be 2 years from your arrival but if you can prove that you are settled - you've bought a house etc it can be started sooner. Others have done that. You will need sufficient income to be able to sponsor your in-laws too, I'm not sure how much that is now but you can find all this detail on the immi website.

Good luck, it's a bit of a journey but no worse than yours I don't suppose.

Best wishes

Cath

Guest The Spanns

My husband and I were considering moving to Oz within the next few years with the view that our parents would follow. On looking into visas, they would have to spend a lot of money to just get out here and I'm worried there wouldn't be enough left for them to live on in their retirement with medical care and rent etc.. to find. Do you have to be mega rich to retire out in Oz or have any ordinary 55yrs+ working folk managed to do it? I would value your thoughts/experiences as this would have a huge impact on our decision to move. Thanks

Hi, just looking for some info.

Reading these posts, does it mean that once i am out living in Oz, I would be able to sponsor my parent's visa? Or not?

Thanks

Tyrone

Yup, so long as you are "settled" – usually means being a permanent resident for two years – plus passing the "balance of family" test. See my recent replies to Shimmer Girl and have a look at Booklet 3.

Mike

My husband and I were considering moving to Oz within the next few years with the view that our parents would follow. On looking into visas, they would have to spend a lot of money to just get out here and I'm worried there wouldn't be enough left for them to live on in their retirement with medical care and rent etc.. to find. Do you have to be mega rich to retire out in Oz or have any ordinary 55yrs+ working folk managed to do it? I would value your thoughts/experiences as this would have a huge impact on our decision to move. Thanks[/QUOT

Hi

Shimmer girl has been asking similar stuff of late. If you see the replies to her then some of your questions may be answered. Many of the living costs that you will have to contend with will be the same for your mum and dad. If you are talking about going in a few years you have time to do good research. I started folders in internet explorer purely for websites which will cover things that will be important if and when you apply. Then add folder to your Documents to file things like booklet 3, immi forms and costs, etc. Start with the basic requirements.

Anything you have problems with, ask away on here, we have all gone or going through it.

My husband and I were considering moving to Oz within the next few years with the view that our parents would follow. On looking into visas, they would have to spend a lot of money to just get out here and I'm worried there wouldn't be enough left for them to live on in their retirement with medical care and rent etc.. to find. Do you have to be mega rich to retire out in Oz or have any ordinary 55yrs+ working folk managed to do it? I would value your thoughts/experiences as this would have a huge impact on our decision to move. Thanks

Hey Yes it is possible for 'ordinary working folk' to do it. We moved here on such a visa about 18 months ago and have never regretted it although Ian is working about 4 days a week so we still have plenty of time to enjoy our family. We sold our house to finance the move and will never be home owners again but that does not bother us. So it's a case of being brave!!

Guest guest43653
Hey Yes it is possible for 'ordinary working folk' to do it. We moved here on such a visa about 18 months ago and have never regretted it although Ian is working about 4 days a week so we still have plenty of time to enjoy our family. We sold our house to finance the move and will never be home owners again but that does not bother us. So it's a case of being brave!!

We to are in the process of doing the move( hopefully application accepted) although we are going on the temporary visa first to make sure it is what we want before we sell up to fund the remainder of the money requested. It is good to hear that there are others out there on a budget and enjoying the move, the only thing that worries us is getting a job so we can afford the rent and other expenses we are going to the Sunshine Coast and rents are quite expensive in that area.

Thanks for your positivity.

Sue

Quote from a longer post on page 226:

Final thought, applying for the 143 visa, paying all of the payments, having at least one return trip out, selling and replacing house, car(s) furniture, clothes etc, etc ,etc, is now approaching a minimum outlay for a couple of £100,000. It is unlikely they will afford a house of the same standard that they have in the UK in Oz. It is not for the faint hearted anymore. £100,000 in a UK bank account would earn enough interest to pay for at least a couple of return flights a year but at some stage who would want the 24 hour flights later in their life?

Also consider that older CPV's UK pension spending power has fallen 25% in the last 3 years in Oz as the rate of exchange dropped from $2 to £1 to the current $1.50. :swoon:

We to are in the process of doing the move( hopefully application accepted) although we are going on the temporary visa first to make sure it is what we want before we sell up to fund the remainder of the money requested. It is good to hear that there are others out there on a budget and enjoying the move, the only thing that worries us is getting a job so we can afford the rent and other expenses we are going to the Sunshine Coast and rents are quite expensive in that area.

Thanks for your positivity.

Sue

Hey Sue We are in the Northern Beaches area of Sydney where rents are also pretty high. There is plenty of work in this part of Sydney although I am not working as I am well and truly retired. My husband Ian is a Carpet Fitter and has two regular part-time jobs in Carpet Warehouses and picks up Carpet fitting work from there. ( Here he is a Carpet Layer! ) I do have a couple of Pensions but Ian is much younger so he will have to wait a few years for his State Pension. We are far from rich but are solvent and very happy!

Hey Sue We are in the Northern Beaches area of Sydney where rents are also pretty high. There is plenty of work in this part of Sydney although I am not working as I am well and truly retired. My husband Ian is a Carpet Fitter and has two regular part-time jobs in Carpet Warehouses and picks up Carpet fitting work from there. ( Here he is a Carpet Layer! ) I do have a couple of Pensions but Ian is much younger so he will have to wait a few years for his State Pension. We are far from rich but are solvent and very happy!

Marian, the Northern Beaches is my preferred destination too. When you say that there is plenty of work, is this just in Ian's type of work, or generally? I won't be expecting to replicate my previous job, I don't need the stress, or doubt at my age that I'll get a chance, but some kind of admin or clerical work would be a bonus to top up the pension. Maybe I'll have to start some serious research on the net.

Well, it's finally arrived...................................

We've got our Visa!!

Daughter sent off Bankers Draft last Wednesday 11th, and we received email this morning from our CO. Sisters-in-Law coming today for a few days, so we'll open the bottle of bubbly when they arrive! Daughter is ecstatic - after all this time it's finally happened.

Good Luck to everyone else waiting. Best wishes Gill

We've got our Visa!!

Daughter sent off Bankers Draft last Wednesday 11th, and we received email this morning from our CO. Sisters-in-Law coming today for a few days, so we'll open the bottle of bubbly when they arrive! Daughter is ecstatic - after all this time it's finally happened.

'Congratulations'

Great news, let the fun begin.... after the bubby of course !!!

Wilma x

Guest passingtime

We've got our Visa!!

:arghh:congratulations we got ours last week what a wonderful feeling even more so when we had the label put in passports

sylvia

Marian, the Northern Beaches is my preferred destination too. When you say that there is plenty of work, is this just in Ian's type of work, or generally? I won't be expecting to replicate my previous job, I don't need the stress, or doubt at my age that I'll get a chance, but some kind of admin or clerical work would be a bonus to top up the pension. Maybe I'll have to start some serious research on the net.

Hey Steve

There is plenty of the kind of work you describe. Loads of admin work so long as you have good computer skills especially in the Brookvale area. We are in Dee Why. If you PM your address I will send you a copy of a Saturday issue of the Manly Daily where there are job vacancies and rental vacancies in case you are planning to rent in the first instance so you can get an idea of what's available.

Regards Marian

Hey Steve

There is plenty of the kind of work you describe. Loads of admin work so long as you have good computer skills especially in the Brookvale area. We are in Dee Why. If you PM your address I will send you a copy of a Saturday issue of the Manly Daily where there are job vacancies and rental vacancies in case you are planning to rent in the first instance so you can get an idea of what's available.

Regards Marian

Hey Steve I know you can look on line but sometimes it's good to have a newspaper as well. Also the Manly Daily (which you may have seen) is a useful point for local information and news (Mostly trivial!)

Marian

We've got our Visa!!

Great news! Congratulations to you and also to Dave and Linda who crossed that important threshold whilst we were up in the air last week.

Now we all just need a sensible exchange rate.

Moderators, if you pop in to this thread, I saw an advertisement embedded in one of my posts. It makes it look as though I put it there. I'm not at all keen on that. (ps - it has disappeared now)

Best wishes to all.

Steve

Hey Steve

Regards Marian

Marian,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Dee Why is precisely where I intend to go but I hadn't checked jobs while I was staying there. I won't be getting a CO until early next year, or earlier the way things are going, so I'll wait until then to start looking in ernest. Thanks for the offer of the Manly Daily, but I'll get my son to bring one over when he comes over in a few months. Good to know there is plenty of work available.

Guest Cakey

We've got our Visa!!

Congratulations!.......We had an E Mail this morning asking us for the second payment......so not long now.....getting really exciting

Cheers Cakey

We've got our Visa!!

Fantastic! Congratuations.

Hi Steve-I am in the same position as you in that I am moving to the Northern beaches this September with all the high rental costs that involves.

I am planning to get some work-not sure what yet but nothing too high powered-as I will need it to supplement my UK employment pension. However I am pretty confident that something will turn up as long as I am prepared to be reasonably flexible-with virtually full employment in Sydney I'm sure we'll be fine!

Fiz

Guest sirmatt101
Hi Steve-I am in the same position as you in that I am moving to the Northern beaches this September with all the high rental costs that involves.

I am planning to get some work-not sure what yet but nothing too high powered-as I will need it to supplement my UK employment pension. However I am pretty confident that something will turn up as long as I am prepared to be reasonably flexible-with virtually full employment in Sydney I'm sure we'll be fine!

Fiz

I can't speak for down south, but here in Brisbane after a slow start I have had to turn down jobs that I applied for! So there's plenty out there's, just need some patience in it turning up. OH hasn't had much luck though, she has over 25 yrs experience as a check out chick with Tesco and a South African supermarket chain, but keeps getting "sorry but we have appointed someone with more experience!" She only wants a job so she can have a car as I am always at work. Its 4am here and I am on my 2nd tea break, roll on 7am.

Cheers

Matt

Matt

We've got our Visa!!

CONGRATULATIONS

(sorry I'm a bit late but no computer till Friday so I've sneeked on at work)

Our meds went off to Sydney finally on Monday afternoon so we're another step closer

House goes on the market next week.