Guest guest36187

Les’s Stress Reducing Guide to CPV143. Appling should carry a Government Wealth Warning.

OK you have decided to go and join your loved ones permanently in OZ.

First you have to choose if you will fund the application from savings or from the sale of your home.

:idea:If you are going to fund from savings seriously consider buying up to 50% of the visa cost as your application proceeds, as you cannot predict the exchange rate. Building up a fund by buying Aus $s each month will get the average exchange rate for some of your £s and will not leave you with a large bill to pay just when the £ hits a dip.

I know the exchange rate could also improve but over the last 3 years I have read countless posts of people waiting just one more month for the improvement that never came.

You can get £s into Aus $s via your bank or via Forex exchange companies, you may be more comfortable using a bank but you will pay more for the exchange rate, if you use a Forex company stick to the main ones mentioned on PomsInOz and your money will be just as safe as using a bank.

:idea:Do some small transfers so you understand how it works and how long it takes. You need either your own validated Oz bank account (validated so you can get the money out) or use your son or daughters bank account to receive the $s.

To me the advantage of the Forex companies is you know what rate you are buying at when you order the money, the banks like to be very vague on what rate you will get.

Next, the biggy.

If your home is going to fund your visa payment the only safe way to do this is to sell the house and then rent until the big day, lots of parents have done this and have said how much it reduced the stress of the whole move.

As you cannot be certain when the house will sell or when the CO will ask for the money it will reduce the stress on the financial side by getting the house sold, it will force you to de-clutter for the move into rental accommodation and it will help with the emotional side as you start to cut your ties with your life in the UK.

:idea:If this is the route you need to take I would suggest the first thing you do after posting off the application is get the house ready to go on the market. Sell or give away all your spare household items, everything you take to Oz in the container is going to cost a lot of shipping money and insurance to send so now is the time to sort it out.

Now you have sorted out the funding for the move you have to wait for the CO’s email.

:idea:While you wait get some removal firms round to give you a quote for the final move out, aim for 3 to 4 quotes.

When the email comes remember the request times for Meds etc, are a guide, you will not lose the visa if you miss a deadline. 28 days are becoming the norm but as recently as Christmas 2010 we were given 49 days.

:idea:Book your meds first and then post off your Police check application form in the week that you go for your Meds so that the dates are as close as possible. Whichever is dated first will be the date used for your 1 year to validate the visa.

Next your Assurance of Support (AoS) has to be arranged and funded for the bond, hopefully you would have by now got enough Aus $s to pay this when requested. Centrelink works off their own time frame so if you get a hold up, email your CO and let them know if you think you may get a delay (we did due to the Brisbane floods as AoS interviews were stopped for a while).

With all the above taking its course you will have the Meds and results sent out, the Police checks you need to courier or post out, the payment of the bond by your AoS and then another wait.

If it has gone OK the next thing you get is an email from your CO asking for the 2nd Vac payment, so you now need to find the best way for you to make that final payment. The most expensive way is by credit card payment in Perth. If the rate is OK buy the remaining $s to top up the $s you have been buying over the last year (I hope you have) and get an Oz bank cheque sent to Perth. If the rate has fallen badly it is sometimes cheaper to pay in London in £s, but this does not happen too often.

Once payment has been made they will request your passport is sent to London to get the visa put in, we chose to renew our current passport early (you can have up to 1 year added to a new passport if your old one has not run out) so we have the maximum 11 year UK passport with visa stamp in it.

Hope my thoughts may be of help to some and they are based on a couple enjoying average health.

Final thought, applying for the 143 visa, paying all of the payments, having at least one return trip out, selling and replacing house, car(s) furniture, clothes etc, etc ,etc, is now approaching a minimum outlay for a couple of £100,000. It is unlikely they will afford a house of the same standard that they have in the UK in Oz. It is not for the faint hearted anymore. £100,000 in a UK bank account would earn enough interest to pay for at least a couple of return flights a year but at some stage who would want the 24 hour flights later in their life? The biggest killer at the moment is that £100,000 will now only buy $150,000 and not the $200,000 when we started this project.

Having said all of the above you have the chance to start a brand new adventure in a fantastic country with English as their main language, drive on the correct side of the road and rarely get a frost(in QLD).

Who says old farts can’t die happy? :notworthy:

P.S. If anyone wants to reply to this maybe just quote the title or Fiz's next post as this is tooooo long to be repeated. ;-)

Les’s Stress Reducing Guide to CPV143. Appling should carry a Government Wealth Warning.

First you have to choose if you will fund the application from savings or from the sale of your home.

:idea:If you are going to fund from savings seriously consider buying up to 50% of the visa cost as your application proceeds, as you cannot predict the exchange rate. Building up a fund by buying Aus $s each month will get the average exchange rate for some of your £s and will not leave you with a large bill to pay just when the £ hits a dip.

I know the exchange rate could also improve but over the last 3 years I have read countless posts of people waiting just one more month for the improvement that never came.

You can get £s into Aus $s via your bank or via Forex exchange companies, you may be more comfortable using a bank but you will pay more for the exchange rate, if you use a Forex company stick to the main ones mentioned on PomsInOz and your money will be just as safe as using a bank.

:idea:Do some small transfers so you understand how it works and how long it takes. You need either your own validated Oz bank account (validated so you can get the money out) or use your son or daughters bank account to receive the $s.

To me the advantage of the Forex companies is you know what rate you are buying at when you order the money, the banks like to be very vague on what rate you will get.

Next, the biggy.

If your home is going to fund your visa payment the only safe way to do this is to sell the house and then rent until the big day, lots of parents have done this and have said how much it reduced the stress of the whole move.

As you cannot be certain when the house will sell or when the CO will ask for the money it will reduce the stress on the financial side by getting the house sold, it will force you to de-clutter for the move into rental accommodation and it will help with the emotional side as you start to cut your ties with your life in the UK.

:idea:If this is the route you need to take I would suggest the first thing you do after posting off the application is get the house ready to go on the market. Sell or give away all your spare household items, everything you take to Oz in the container is going to cost a lot of shipping money and insurance to send so now is the time to sort it out.

Now you have sorted out the funding for the move you have to wait for the CO’s email.

:idea:While you wait get some removal firms round to give you a quote for the final move out, aim for 3 to 4 quotes.

When the email comes remember the request times for Meds etc, are a guide, you will not lose the visa if you miss a deadline. 28 days are becoming the norm but as recently as Christmas 2010 we were given 49 days.

:idea:Book your meds first and then post off your Police check application form in the week that you go for your Meds so that the dates are as close as possible. Whichever is dated first will be the date used for your 1 year to validate the visa.

Next your Assurance of Support (AoS) has to be arranged and funded for the bond, hopefully you would have by now got enough Aus $s to pay this when requested. Centrelink works off their own time frame so if you get a hold up, email your CO and let them know if you think you may get a delay (we did due to the Brisbane floods as AoS interviews were stopped for a while).

With all the above taking its course you will have the Meds and results sent out, the Police checks you need to courier or post out, the payment of the bond by your AoS and then another wait.

If it has gone OK the next thing you get is an email from your CO asking for the 2nd Vac payment, so you now need to find the best way for you to make that final payment. The most expensive way is by credit card payment in Perth. If the rate is OK buy the remaining $s to top up the $s you have been buying over the last year (I hope you have) and get an Oz bank cheque sent to Perth. If the rate has fallen badly it is sometimes cheaper to pay in London in £s, but this does not happen too often.

Once payment has been made they will request your passport is sent to London to get the visa put in, we chose to renew our current passport early (you can have up to 1 year added to a new passport if your old one has not run out) so we have the maximum 11 year UK passport with visa stamp in it.

Hope my thoughts may be of help to some and they are based on a couple enjoying average health.

Final thought, applying for the 143 visa, paying all of the payments, having at least one return trip out, selling and replacing house, car(s) furniture, clothes etc, etc ,etc, is now approaching a minimum outlay for a couple of £100,000. It is unlikely they will afford a house of the same standard that they have in the UK in Oz. It is not for the faint hearted anymore. £100,000 in a UK bank account would earn enough interest to pay for at least a couple of return flights a year but at some stage who would want the 24 hour flights later in their life? The biggest killer at the moment is that £100,000 will now only buy $150,000 and not the $200,000 when we started this project.

Having said all of the above you have the chance to start a brand new adventure in a fantastic country with English as their main language, drive on the correct side of the road and rarely get a frost(in QLD).

Lots of great advice there, Les. If people follow what you say, they will have a much more realistic route to getting a visa. As someone who started the process at Christmas 2008, I have had to continually adjust my thinking to allow for the exchange rate problems. One more bit of advice I would add is: be prepared to do some sort of work when you get out there, if at all possible. Earning some dollars will take the sting out of relying on a UK pension in sterling and (I hope) will also get you integrated into Australia more quickly.

I'm not necessarily talking about high powered stuff...a few hours a week in a library or a shop, dog walking etc etc-it all helps to keep you fit and young as well!

Guest the keggas
Hi

Just a little note and we all know how twitchy and nervous you are at this time. If you click on "quote post" instead of "quick reply" you will get like wot I have writ. Sorry northerner creeping out again must put him away. We can then see whose quote you are replying to. It is a stressful time,:chatterbox: we all know, but big breaths, slow down, as earlier, glass of wine and it will come right in the end. phew!:wink:

had more than a glass last night wow

thanks for the info, still learning and not sure what on earth I am doing? but so great to be able to speak to others in the same boat, we felt totaly on our own .

Guest the keggas

Next, the biggy.

P.S. If anyone wants to reply to this maybe just quote the title or Fiz's next post as this is tooooo long to be repeated. ;-)

Thanks so much Les

Great info feel a little less stressed now

the keggas

This is an excellent piece of advice. Just like drip feeding an investment into a unit trust, you average out the cost avoiding a possible big drop in the exchange rate when you make the big payment.

had more than a glass last night wow

thanks for the info, still learning and not sure what on earth I am doing? but so great to be able to speak to others in the same boat, we felt totaly on our own .

Hi Keggas, Welcome,

The one thing you are not, is on your own! We are all in the same position - all trying to move across the world to be with our children and grandchildren, whilst at the same time about to make a whole new life for ourselves. We may all have different specific issues to solve but all of us have, one way or another, benefited from this forum. Everyone is so nice and willing to share their knowledge and experience, including those who have actually made the move and it helps to share the feelings - the excitement and the nerves, a few words on here can put it back into perspective. We are close to getting our Visa and I am now getting so worked up about getting the removers in and sending the container off! I feel so out of control but I know, really, that it is all going reasonably to plan (except the exchange rate!). It will all work out, just keep the faith!

Good Luck with it all. Gill

Just one other thought to add to Les' great advice. You can always split the cost of the visa as we did by going for the 173 first if you can afford it. That way you then get 2 years before you need to upgrade to the 143 and pay the rest of the money, so this gives you a bit more time to sell the house and puts you a bit more in control, but you will have done most of the stressful bits like medicals. If you manage to sell your house quickly you can then still move to Aus and apply for the 143 there - takes about 4-6 months.

Hopefully our house sale will go through before we leave and then we will apply for the 143 when we get to Aus.

Hey you folk

We were probably in a different financial position to most of you as we had both recently divorced prior to getting together so we had decidedly reduced assets. However we decided to "wing it" and moved to Sydney in October 2009. Absolutely no regrets; Ian has had no problems getting part-time work and whereas we are far from well off the change of life-style and the proximity to our family has compensated. I know we are all different in our expectations but you could wait for ever for the property market and the exchange rate to improve; meanwhile time is passing when you could be enjoying a new life with your family in this beautiful country. Be brave!

Guest guest43653

Anyone know of anyone having input in the new programme on ITV this week Poms In OZ. It starts on Wednesday and is about Poms who moved there and what they think of their move. Hopefully it should be interesting and not too negative.

Thanks for all the informative information posted over the last couple of days.

Sue

Hi Marian, We are in a similar situation to yourselfs, we have our visa and have been living in Sydney for 7 weeks now. We love it, and like yourselfs we have to work. We are lucky in that our two daughters pay us for childcare, not much but it all helps. we also do babysitting, which we really enjoy. we are renting a one bedroom furnished appartment, and we could not be happier. Long term we are hoping to buy along with one of our daughter a house with a granny flat. This would suit both of us, as her and her husband cannot afford a deposit. If we can pay a fairly big deposit they will pay the morgage. With all the problems getting the visa and paying the 2nd Vac I can honestly say it has all been worth it. We are kept busy, and also it is keeping us fit, we are loving every minute of our new life. Best wishes to all, it will be worth it. Phyllis

Hi Marian, We are in a similar situation to yourselfs, we have our visa and have been living in Sydney for 7 weeks now. We love it, and like yourselfs we have to work. We are lucky in that our two daughters pay us for childcare, not much but it all helps. we also do babysitting, which we really enjoy. we are renting a one bedroom furnished appartment, and we could not be happier. Long term we are hoping to buy along with one of our daughter a house with a granny flat. This would suit both of us, as her and her husband cannot afford a deposit. If we can pay a fairly big deposit they will pay the morgage. With all the problems getting the visa and paying the 2nd Vac I can honestly say it has all been worth it. We are kept busy, and also it is keeping us fit, we are loving every minute of our new life. Best wishes to all, it will be worth it. Phyllis

Lovely post Phyllis and should be a great inspiration to everyone following on. We too love it here and just can't regret the move. The only downside is that we can't afford our own home here and though that's a big disappointment it's more than compensated for by our new lifestyle and being near our children and grandchildren. We had hoped to work but are finding more than enough to do so I'm not sure. So far we are managing on our pensions.

One point for people looking at removal companies and insurance. If you find (as we did) that the estimate of the amount of space you will need varies dramatically it's important to find out how much extra space will cost per cubic foot, the cheapest quote might not work out the cheapest overall is what I am trying to say. Also, insurance through the removal companies is a costly affair and you can get much cheaper insurance by searching on line. Every penny counts that's for sure.

Cath

Anyone know of anyone having input in the new programme on ITV this week Poms In OZ. It starts on Wednesday and is about Poms who moved there and what they think of their move. Hopefully it should be interesting and not too negative.

Sue

We will be watching very intensely but sceptically as it is TV after all and it wil be the extremes:wub:

One point for people looking at removal companies and insurance. If you find (as we did) that the estimate of the amount of space you will need varies dramatically it's important to find out how much extra space will cost per cubic foot, the cheapest quote might not work out the cheapest overall is what I am trying to say. Also, insurance through the removal companies is a costly affair and you can get much cheaper insurance by searching on line. Every penny counts that's for sure.

Cath

Try http://www.insure-your-move.com/Site+Information/Contact+Us or http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/emigration-insurance/ for realistic quotes and better cover than the removal companies.

Sue

Trust me to be in Oz when it starts :twitcy:

Phoebe

Guest guest43653
Trust me to be in Oz when it starts :twitcy:

Phoebe

I am sure that is where you and a lot of us here would prefer to be and i would be sure there will probably be some feedback on the site about the programme.

Enjoy yourself.

Sue

Happy with today's valuations - about what we were expecting. Provided the meds/ results go off at the end of the week without referrals and we get the tracking number we shall put the house on the market before the end of the month and pray we are asked for the final vac before 1st July!

sooooo close now - it hurts:twitcy::unsure::spinny::v_SPIN:

Happy with today's valuations - about what we were expecting. Provided the meds/ results go off at the end of the week without referrals and we get the tracking number we shall put the house on the market before the end of the month and pray we are asked for the final vac before 1st July!

sooooo close now - it hurts:twitcy::unsure::spinny::v_SPIN:

We are a bit behind but hoping to get the same request, down at 1.52 as I write:arghh:

Best of luck to all in the home straight at this time.

To everyone else, do not worry it creeps up a lot faster than you think.:biglaugh:

Guest mombie58@hotmail.com

just a quick note - catherine and I are now happily ensconsed with our little family on the gold coast - it is wonderful to be with them after all the stress of the tourist visa denial etc we will be here on the coast for six months in all. we have a house sit for four and a half of those months!!!!!!!!!!

Our small world became smaller yesterday when we went to a play group and met 'our Phoebe', her daughter Emma and grandchildren Libby and HArry - lovely family - it was lovely to meet and we had a nice hug - we felt that we knew each other!.........................

Not sure where we are on the appeal situation - we only have a few more weeeks before we have to commit to going the Migration review tribunal route, and so far we have had negatives thoughts on the result of that.....................also with heather 8 months pregnant and having a sixteen month old it is kind of hard to get time to sit down for a serious talk - but we will..

congrats to all who have CO's and 2nd vac requests - I must admit to a bt of envy - and is envy one of the xeven sins? - oh well, our time will come one day - I hope!

will be in touch again with more news - thanks again all and Matt and Diane I'll be in touch soon

take care audie

Guest mombie58@hotmail.com

I am really not good at this - I think that I sent a pm to cathandtone - I really meant to send it to Cath wotherspoon - I am sorry - cath wotherspoon - could you possibly pm me - I have sonme info for you and am sorry to be so late getting in touch - thanks audie

just a quick note - catherine and I are now happily ensconsed with our little family on the gold coast - it is wonderful to be with them after all the stress of the tourist visa denial etc we will be here on the coast for six months in all. we have a house sit for four and a half of those months!!!!!!!!!!

Our small world became smaller yesterday when we went to a play group and met 'our Phoebe', her daughter Emma and grandchildren Libby and HArry - lovely family - it was lovely to meet and we had a nice hug - we felt that we knew each other!.........................

Not sure where we are on the appeal situation - we only have a few more weeeks before we have to commit to going the Migration review tribunal route, and so far we have had negatives thoughts on the result of that.....................also with heather 8 months pregnant and having a sixteen month old it is kind of hard to get time to sit down for a serious talk - but we will..

congrats to all who have CO's and 2nd vac requests - I must admit to a bt of envy - and is envy one of the xeven sins? - oh well, our time will come one day - I hope!

will be in touch again with more news - thanks again all and Matt and Diane I'll be in touch soon

take care audie

It was lovely to meet you, Heather & the little one too Audie:yes:.....if I can catch my breath between family and visiting people :swoon: I'm sure we will meet up again before we go back to blighty :wink:

Phoebe

Good Morning everyone,

We have received our 2nd Vac request this morning, so its all systems go now. Steve, if you are not already on your travels would you update the tracker please. Our daughter will be going to the Bank first thing tomorrow morning to draw the Bank Cheque and send it off so hopefully within a few more days we might just get our Visas!

As soon as they are confirmed we can exchange contracts and book the removers - we are aiming to fly out on 6th June so hoping everything will slot together to achieve this. Feeling a bit strange really, after all this time waiting for something to happen it's all happening very fast now and its beginning to take its toll, but can't wait to get back to Australia and be with our family.

Good Luck to everyone else on this journey.

Gill

Good Morning everyone,

We have received our 2nd Vac request this morning, so its all systems go now. Steve, if you are not already on your travels would you update the tracker please. Our daughter will be going to the Bank first thing tomorrow morning to draw the Bank Cheque and send it off so hopefully within a few more days we might just get our Visas!

As soon as they are confirmed we can exchange contracts and book the removers - we are aiming to fly out on 6th June so hoping everything will slot together to achieve this. Feeling a bit strange really, after all this time waiting for something to happen it's all happening very fast now and its beginning to take its toll, but can't wait to get back to Australia and be with our family.

Gill

Congratulations!!

Good Morning everyone,

Gill

CONGRATULATIONS 6.gif6.gif6.gif

Hopefully we won't be too far behind you. House goes on the market at the end of the month!

Good Morning everyone,

Gill

Great News wont be long now, we fly out to the Gold Coast on the 4th July, can't wait to go but not looking forward to all the goodbyes.

Good luck

Wilma x

Congratulations to everyone with good news. Things are really hotting up now. Here's fingers crossed for DavidandGill so you can make the 6th June deadline. It's especially stressful when you already have a flight booked.

We can actually relax a little now as we had our visa grant letter this morning! So Steve if you are around can you update the tracker please? Such a relief as we can now fly on the 2nd June as planned.

We are hoping to exchange contracts on our house next week if all goes to plan - have got a surveyor coming in tomorrow so hope he doesn't find any nasties to put the kybosh on it! Got John Mason coming this afternoon to give us a quote. Just had St Rocco's charity round to take away some of our furniture which we don't want to ship. It's all go isn't it!

And to all those still waiting - hang on in there, you will get there eventually and the time does go a lot quicker than you think.