Guest guest36187

If any of you and your offspring in Oz have an iPhone here is a great App.

Download VIBER takes 2 minutes to set up and you can make FREE phone calls and send FREE messages iPhone to iPhone anwhere in the world :biggrin: you will both need wi-fi or 3G :yes:

It actually works too I wanted to test it out first before I told you all (unless you already have it :swoon:) I've been useing it all week to ring my daughter and was surprised at how good it is I even heard the baby :jiggy:

Phoebe

Useful information, thanks Phoebe.

You can also get Skype for some mobile phone operating systems (Android etc) which releases you from your computer. Sadly my Samsung is not one of them!

Cheers

Steve

Guest sirmatt101
Morning all,

Police checks and Forms 80 all sent off yesterday and Son-in-l opened the AOS Account at Bank. Question - does anyone know if it is possible for the interest on the AOS account to be paid directly to our own Bank Account? Our S-i-L was given no options regarding where the interest has to be paid (he thinks every six months) and so it seems it will be paid to him directly into his Bank Account. This has raised a concern for him regarding his Tax Returns and he would prefer if it could be paid direct to us. He is going to ask the Bank on Monday but has anyone out there been able to set things up as above? Advice would be welcomed and direction to any website info also. I have looked on Centrelink site but there is no mention at all about interest.

Many thanks Gill

Our son had the same concern about the interest and his tax return, but 18 months on and it is still being paid into HIS account!! :cry: He has handed it over though to his credit. I am wondering if its because its supposed to be the guarantor who (officially) puts up the money, not us?? :confused:

Cheers

Matt

Our son had the same concern about the interest and his tax return, but 18 months on and it is still being paid into HIS account!! :cry: He has handed it over though to his credit. I am wondering if its because its supposed to be the guarantor who (officially) puts up the money, not us?? :confused:

Cheers

Matt

I think we will all be in the same position :yes: but our SIL is going to transfer any interest straight into our account.

As I understand it, it won't affect him because he is taxed on his earnings.......this is not earnings :no: unless you know better :policeman:..........

Phoebe

I think we will all be in the same position :yes: but our SIL is going to transfer any interest straight into our account.

As I understand it, it won't affect him because he is taxed on his earnings.......this is not earnings :no: unless you know better :policeman:..........

Phoebe

Hi

It is income that he is liable for tax on. The theory is that the support person has provided the AOS when in reality we know that we parents have provided it.

Charlie

Hi

It is income that he is liable for tax on. The theory is that the support person has provided the AOS when in reality we know that we parents have provided it.

Charlie

Thankyou I stand corrected :cute: so does anyone have the answer to this dilema :confused:

Once the AoS account has been opened is it not possible to change the account for example into joint names with us and the person who is "providing" the AoS or would this also get us in trouble.....

Phoebe

Thankyou I stand corrected :cute: so does anyone have the answer to this dilema :confused:

Once the AoS account has been opened is it not possible to change the account for example into joint names with us and the person who is "providing" the AoS or would this also get us in trouble.....

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe, There is not really a problem, the bank will deduct tax from the interest so what is left will be his/yours to do with whatever you wish.

We/all of us CPVs cannot get the money tax free (just like in the UK on a normal bank account) so there is not really a dilemma.

The worst possible outcome is that the interest plus earnings pitch into the next tax band which would result in less interest paid out net (again similar to the UK if you become a higher rate tax payer you have a second bite taken out of your savings interest).

Look at this this way, when we first started this visa malarkey we did not even know they would pay any interest on the bond so every little helps. :wubclub:

Hi Phoebe, There is not really a problem, the bank will deduct tax from the interest so what is left will be his/yours to do with whatever you wish.

We/all of us CPVs cannot get the money tax free (just like in the UK on a normal bank account) so there is not really a dilemma.

The worst possible outcome is that the interest plus earnings pitch into the next tax band which would result in less interest paid out net (again similar to the UK if you become a higher rate tax payer you have a second bite taken out of your savings interest).

Look at this this way, when we first started this visa malarkey we did not even know they would pay any interest on the bond so every little helps. :wubclub:

I understand what you are saying Les :yes: but the dilema (for some of us) seems to be that in my case my SIL would be affected with the interest being added to his earnings so he is taxed more :shocked: I don't want to put my SIL in that position :no:

Phoebe

Phoebe

I think the only way to get an answer to this is to speak to the Commonwealth Bank who hold the AOS bond.

Charlie

I understand what you are saying Les :yes: but the dilema (for some of us) seems to be that in my case my SIL would be affected with the interest being added to his earnings so he is taxed more :shocked: I don't want to put my SIL in that position :no:

Phoebe

Phoebe, at best the interest will be about $700 in a year gross on the bond, if your s-i-l is taxed at 38% (for earnings from $80,000 up to $180,000) then you/he will end up with about $434 at the end of the year, it will not make his tax any higher on the rest of his earnings.

Are you sure he is being straight with you? :nah:

Something is not correct with the conclusion that the interest will raise his tax payment on his earnings to a higher level than if he had not paid the bond.

He will of course pay tax on the interest but then most citizens do in any country.

Lets just say he is at the maximum of his tax band earning $180,000 p.a. If you then add the interest from the bond to his income then that will be taxed at 45cents in the $ but his other earnings will not be, so the bond interest will not change his tax position only what is earned from the bond. :wubclub:

Phoebe, at best the interest will be about $700 in a year gross on the bond, if your s-i-l is taxed at 38% (for earnings from $80,000 up to $180,000) then you/he will end up with about $434 at the end of the year, it will not make his tax any higher on the rest of his earnings.

Are you sure he is being straight with you? :nah:

Something is not correct with the conclusion that the interest will raise his tax payment on his earnings to a higher level than if he had not paid the bond.

He will of course pay tax on the interest but then most citizens do in any country.

Lets just say he is at the maximum of his tax band earning $180,000 p.a. If you then add the interest from the bond to his income then that will be taxed at 45cents in the $ but his other earnings will not be, so the bond interest will not change his tax position only what is earned from the bond. :wubclub:

Hi Les

Thanks for explaining that :biggrin: my SIL hasn't actually said anything to me it was just me worrying in case it would put him in a higher tax bracket :swoon: but from your explanation it won't affect him at all, he earns nowhere near that amount :twitcy: appreciate you taking the time to explain :wink:

Phoebe

Hi Les

Thanks for explaining that :biggrin: my SIL hasn't actually said anything to me it was just me worrying in case it would put him in a higher tax bracket :swoon: but from your explanation it won't affect him at all, he earns nowhere near that amount :twitcy: appreciate you taking the time to explain :wink:

Phoebe

I think the easiest way round this whole matter is to let the kids pay the AOS plus the VAC fees,then we dont need to worry about interest or exchange rates etc etc ,anyone support this idea,

cheers Mike.

I think the easiest way round this whole matter is to let the kids pay the AOS plus the VAC fees,then we dont need to worry about interest or exchange rates etc etc ,anyone support this idea,

cheers Mike.

It's got my vote :yes:

Although somehow I can't see it happening :wacko:

Phoebe

I didn't want to miss out either - photo duly put on

Katie

I've just realised I haven't put my photo on yet - it's on the other site which no one uses anymore - sorry

bad day at work - still at least I only have 7.5 days to go

cheers Mike.

I asked my daughter and hubby about this and they assured me they would be so happy to have us there that they would pay us the interest gross:jiggy:

Now does anyone know how many clouds and cuckoos there are in Australia:biglaugh:

I asked my daughter and hubby about this and they assured me they would be so happy to have us there that they would pay us the interest gross:jiggy:

Now does anyone know how many clouds and cuckoos there are in Australia:biglaugh:

The words 'Flying' and 'Pigs' also come to mind :cute:

Phoebe

Guest nannadi
I know that B.E. has their parent visa thread......why dont we have one?

All parent visa applicants.....here is your own thread in order to ask questions, chat, moan and groan....whatever you wish!

Good Luck to you all and looking fwd to hearing from you x

OMG I HAVE PERMANENT RESIDENCE AT LAST!!

After a ten year wait on a sub class 804 aged parent visa, I have at last this morning been granted permanent residence!

As I say, I applied ten years ago onshore while 'on holiday' visiting my son, an only child, and his family after ten years back and forth before that until my retirement. As I applied onshore, I was able to spend the ten years on waiting list here and enjoyed most of the advantages of living in Oz. There is no way I would want to go back to the UK.

I was given a case officer together with the paperwork for the medical and aos at the end of December and was asked to complete by Jan 28th - with Christmas etc, I needed a little more time and was readily granted an extension until Feb 28th. All the paperwork was completed in time and centrelink said it should take 5 - 10 days instead of which it took over five weeks due to the Queenlsland flood claims. As you can imagine, I was very concerned as there were only a certain number of visas available. My case officer was very understanding and did his best to reassure me but also stressed that until all the paperwork was completed he could not issue or put aside a visa. I was horrified last week when he told me that all the visas had gone but he would try for a few more for priority cases but said this was unlikely and I'd probably have to wait till July.

To my surprise, I received a letter last Friday, requesting the final $1500 payment which I sent yesterday morning through the post office - spoke to him today on the 'phone and he told me he had granted the visa this morning. I still can't really believe it!

It really is worth the wait especially when you consider all the money saved on a CVP.

I hope this encourages all those parents waiting in the queue.

By the way, thank you Gollywobbler for all the help and encouragement.

Good news nannadi, we have been in the queue since Sep 2007 on a 103 parent visa, but as they have cut the quota by half to only 700 a year we have decided to bit the bullet and pay for a 143. We return to UK on Thursday having been here for the last 7 months on a tourist visa. As soon as we get back our new application goes in. Which should be given priority because of our queue date. We are even having our medicals done again in Melbourne the day we leave, and police checks as soon we are back. So fingers crossed.