Guest guest36187

Hi Phoebe

As I understand it you are not required to undergo another medical, although I believe that you may have to get an Australian police check if you have spent more than 12 months in Australia (doesn't need to be consecutive) before you apply for the 143.

You are required to pay the remainder of the huge second VAC, although the fee that applies is the one which is in force at the time you apply to upgrade from 173 to 143, so the overall cost can work out a little higher. Plus the AOS of course.

On a further note to this reply (i.e. don't have to have another medical when you upgrade to 143 from 173) would this still be the case if we had had the 173 for more than 12 months :err: as I understood it the meds are only valid for 12 months :confused: or does this not apply if you already have the temp 173 :twitcy:

Phoebe

I believe that you only get prompts that there are messages on the forum if you actually post on the forum, ie after this post I will get a message but until I post again I will not hear more .................

I,too, popped into another site this week and was horrified by the meanness there - what is their problem and Matt how goes the new job?, and Phoebe I am still amazed!!!

audie

Hello Audie

Not strictly true, you don't have to post but you do have have to visit the forum and make sure you are logged in, not merely reading as a guest. I found out my problem was when I moved to Google Chrome browser, I was not logging in automatically, and did not realise I was reading threads as a guest. So no prompts! And I wondered why it was so quiet!

It's always good to hear from you by the way, you have avid followers out here!

All the best

Steve

On a further note to this reply (i.e. don't have to have another medical when you upgrade to 143 from 173) would this still be the case if we had had the 173 for more than 12 months :err: as I understood it the meds are only valid for 12 months :confused: or does this not apply if you already have the temp 173 :twitcy:

Phoebe

You don't have to get them done again Phoebe as long as you are upgrading - it's just the AOS really. I think the only caveat to this if if there has been a significant deterioration in health, but others may know more about this aspect.

Cheers

Steve

We have an appointment for our medicals on Tuesday and as we are getting close to the 28 day deadline I am just wondering how long it takes after the medical before they send off the results. Do they do all the tests (HIV etc) on site?

It may have been because we got our CO 2 days before Christmas or the fact that she was going on 6 weeks holiday the day after being appointed as our CO but we was given 49 days to get meds, police check and Aos sorted, we then asked could we have an extra 28 days this month and was given that (but we didn't use them) so I would take the deadline with a pinch of salt. :biggrin:

We have an appointment for our medicals on Tuesday and as we are getting close to the 28 day deadline I am just wondering how long it takes after the medical before they send off the results. Do they do all the tests (HIV etc) on site?

Hi Linday,

We too have our medicals booked for Tuesday - in London - where are you booked? Feeling a bit nervous about it to be honest - I know I am overweight and I have not been able to lose even a pound lately (winter, I think, staying indoors and not exercising enough) but otherwise healthy and fit so fingers crossed. Good Luck to you.

Steve - I did send you an e mail with update info but I don't think you could have received it. Could you update the tracker please - meds 29th March, Son-in-law AOS interview 6th April! and not using a Migration Agent.

Regards Gill

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

The information on the website just says it is not necessary to have another medical. It doesn't say anything about a time limit.

I do know, however, that if you have spent more then 12 months in the last 10 years in Oz after you get the 173, including any holidays, then you need to get a Australian police check.

Hi Linday,

We too have our medicals booked for Tuesday - in London - where are you booked? Feeling a bit nervous about it to be honest - I know I am overweight and I have not been able to lose even a pound lately (winter, I think, staying indoors and not exercising enough) but otherwise healthy and fit so fingers crossed. Good Luck to you.

Steve - I did send you an e mail with update info but I don't think you could have received it. Could you update the tracker please - meds 29th March, Son-in-law AOS interview 6th April! and not using a Migration Agent.

Regards Gill

We are having our meds done in Manchester, which I believe is OK. Hubby is worried about blood pressure, (he is driving me mad as he bought a machine and is now obsessed with checking twice a day!). We are none of us perfect but I am sure they make allowances as long as it's not something which is going to cost them loads of money.

Hi Linday,

Regards Gill

Hello Gill - No that didn't arrive. However I've updated the tracker - let me know when the AOS is finalised.

I've discovered that I cleverly programmed the input screens to accept only a Y in "agent used" so I'll fix that first then update your records.

Hope the medicals go off OK. We were very glad to get them over with as it was very disruptive. Even more so now I understand, at least we didn't have too far to travel back then.

All the best

Steve

We are having our meds done in Manchester, which I believe is OK. Hubby is worried about blood pressure, (he is driving me mad as he bought a machine and is now obsessed with checking twice a day!). We are none of us perfect but I am sure they make allowances as long as it's not something which is going to cost them loads of money.

I also have BP issues :eek: however a friend of my daughters who moved out there in 2006 has BP issues and it wasn't a problem so it gives me hope :biggrin: she just takes her daily meds, I'm sure your hubby has nothing to worry about :wink:, then again if he's checking it twice a day he'll proberbly push it up hide is machine :twitcy:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

The information on the website just says it is not necessary to have another medical. It doesn't say anything about a time limit.

I do know, however, that if you have spent more then 12 months in the last 10 years in Oz after you get the 173, including any holidays, then you need to get a Australian police check.

Hi Linday

Thanks for that :wink:

Could you point me to the link I seem to be going around in circles :goofy:

Phoebe

Hi Linday

Thanks for that :wink:

Could you point me to the link I seem to be going around in circles :goofy:

Phoebe

Hello Phoebe

Not sure which info you need, but with regard to Health checks see this page:

Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (from Subclass 173 to Subclass 143) under Health Requirements

and this checklist:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/_pdf/173to143-checklist.pdf

And for character requirements:

Character Requirement - Applications & Forms

I hope that's of help.

Cheers

Steve

Think I am now having blood pressure problems! Just discovered how much its going to cost to park at the railway station all day and train it up to London !!!!! It's not just the Aussie Government making a mint out of us all is it??

Hey Ho, off to the bank for some £1 coins for the %*&@"* parking machine!

Good Luck everyone! G

Think I am now having blood pressure problems! Just discovered how much its going to cost to park at the railway station all day and train it up to London !!!!! It's not just the Aussie Government making a mint out of us all is it??

Good Luck everyone! G

...and just look where the "Aussie" is now – back up/down (depending on viewpoint) to 1.55!!

Mike

...and just look where the "Aussie" is now – back up/down (depending on viewpoint) to 1.55!!

Mike

Just found this on the web in response to "£ sterling v Australian $" search

REUTERS

The euro has been gaining versus sterling on expectations of an interest rate hike in April just as UK growth concerns have dented expectations for rate hikes by the Bank of England.

Sterling was also driven broadly lower by reported selling in the UK currency against the Australian dollar GBPAUD=R related to insurance payments for damage caused by severe floods in Queensland.

Good Luck everyone! G

I think everyone here is going to end up with BP problems before this is over :twitcy:

Steve.....please tell us we can 'chill' on the other side or the Aussie Government is going to make a fortune out of us with BP meds :cute: and thanks for those links :wink:

Phoebe

Good Luck everyone! G

London is nearest for us but will probaly use Maidenhead to avoid the BP rising too much when our time comes - free parking and as long as the M4 is OK the journey is not much longer!

I also have BP issues :eek: however a friend of my daughters who moved out there in 2006 has BP issues and it wasn't a problem so it gives me hope :biggrin: she just takes her daily meds, I'm sure your hubby has nothing to worry about :wink:, then again if he's checking it twice a day he'll proberbly push it up hide is machine :twitcy:

Phoebe

Yes, it's a vicious circle, isn't it. Combine that with white coat syndrome and it's enough to give you a heart attack! My husband isn't taking any medication, but has a letter from his doctor to say that it has been investigated and is not a problem and that he is controlling it with exercise and diet. He has lost a bit of weight as well, so that should help.

Hello Phoebe

Not sure which info you need, but with regard to Health checks see this page:

Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (from Subclass 173 to Subclass 143) under Health Requirements

and this checklist:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/_pdf/173to143-checklist.pdf

And for character requirements:

Character Requirement - Applications & Forms

I hope that's of help.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for that, Steve. Sorry, Phoebe, I only just saw your post. We have been having internet problems today, so not been able to get on to the forum till now.

I think everyone here is going to end up with BP problems before this is over :twitcy:

Steve.....please tell us we can 'chill' on the other side or the Aussie Government is going to make a fortune out of us with BP meds :cute: and thanks for those links :wink:

Phoebe

I find most things expensive over here, though at least we are now not having to fund ourselves from sterling, so it's less of an issue where the dollar is at the moment. Funding yourself from sterling - well we all know this is probably the worst time ever, but it won't always be like this.

Cheers

Steve

I find most things expensive over here, though at least we are now having to fund ourselves from sterling, so it's less of an issue where the dollar is at the moment. Funding yourself from sterling - well we all know this is probably the worst time ever, but it won't always be like this.

Cheers

Steve

With the rate of inflation at an all time high here is there really any difference :wideeyed: then again we have had a WHOLE 1p off a litre of fuel (for now before it goes up 5p :swoon:), that's enough to put anyone's BP up :twitcy:

Phoebe

Guest guest43653

Hi

I always seem to come on here for help you must be sick of me.

I am trying to open an account with NAB but when i put 'Other' in the type of visa applied for and then CPV 173 in the next bit when i submit it comes back Other in Visa is wrong.

Has anyone else filled this form in and had problems if so can you help please.

Thanks

Sue

Hi

This is the reply I got from the enquiry about changing from 143 to 173 regarding our place in the queue.

Dear Phoebe

Thank you for your enquiry. You will need to contact the office where you lodged your application to advise them of your decision. They will be able to advise you if this will effect your place in the queue.

Does anyone know if this is this the Perth Office where I got the acknowledgement from :wideeyed:

Phoebe

Hi

This is the reply I got from the enquiry about changing from 143 to 173 regarding our place in the queue.

Dear Phoebe

Thank you for your enquiry. You will need to contact the office where you lodged your application to advise them of your decision. They will be able to advise you if this will effect your place in the queue.

Does anyone know if this is this the Perth Office where I got the acknowledgement from :wideeyed:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe,

Yes, I would think that your best bet would be to email the Parent Visa Centre in Perth although I doubt you would lose your place. To be safe, if you are going to do it, then do it before they hike the prices up again on July 1st.

Hope they give you some good news instead of blah blah jargon like they usually do!

Val:arghh: