Guest guest36187

We decided to complete the application ourselves and not to use an agent. if it's the completion of the forms that's putting you off going it alone I will say it's not as bad as you think. I'm sure a number of PIO regular posters could help with guidance around form completion. However if your situation is complex or you don't want to complete the forms then you need consider using an agent.

Joe

Thanks. I'll down load the forms and check.

Did you use an agent for the 173? We completed the forms ourselves and much of the information was taken from the forms already completed for the 143. We found it fairly straightforward. If you are in Australia you do need to keep immigration informed as they will need to advise you just before visa grant so you can go offshore. If you have anything which is not straightforward however, then using an agent would give you peace of mind.

i haven't got a 173. I'm going straight for the 143. I'm in England.

I hope I'm not adding to the confusion but if you are in Australia on the CPV 173 which is valid for 2 years and allows residency etc, why would you then have to be offshore for the grant of the CPV143? I know people who were on the 173 and have now upgraded to the 143 and they didn't have to go offshore for the grant. I'm almost certain that you only have to go offshore for the grant of a 143 if you are in Australia on a tourist visa.

Val

Yes of course, Val is right. Sorry I seem to have got my 173s and 143s completely mixed up and confused everyone! Had a very tiring stressful day today due to landlord putting our rental property on the market.

Just to confirm, the 143 is an offshore visa and if you are in Australia visiting then you need to go offshore for visa grant. If you are in Australia on a 173 then of course you do not need to leave for the visa grant. Think I need a restorative glass of something!

Yes of course, Val is right. Sorry I seem to have got my 173s and 143s completely mixed up and confused everyone! Had a very tiring stressful day today due to landlord putting our rental property on the market.

Just to confirm, the 143 is an offshore visa and if you are in Australia visiting then you need to go offshore for visa grant. If you are in Australia on a 173 then of course you do not need to leave for the visa grant. Think I need a restorative glass of something!

I'll have what you're having! Stressful week here too. Had a viewing, lady says "ooo, I want to buy this house!" Turns out theirs isn't even on the market yet! Time wasters!

Hope things settle down!

Cheers! Val

I'll have what you're having! Stressful week here too. Had a viewing, lady says "ooo, I want to buy this house!" Turns out theirs isn't even on the market yet! Time wasters!

Hope things settle down!

Cheers! Val

Hi Val

Sorry to read you were bitten by time wasters - think you need to kick your estate agents where it hurts as they're supposed to check these people out.

We've got all this to look forward to!

Take care

Steve

Sorry to hear that Bridgeman, can't remember if you're renting here or there? Either way that's got to be a huge pain in the behind. Hope you find somewhere soon

maisie

Hope things settle down!

Cheers! Val

Hi Val

Speaking as an ex estate agent.......when the sales negotiator calls to arrange a viewing on your property. Make sure you ask them what position the person is in. Ideally they should be under offer or at least on the market. There are any number of time wasters out there who think it's great fun just to have a look at someone's house! We will be in your position shortly, just finishing the decorating and general tidy up. Good luck with your next viewing.

Julie

• Like 1

Hope things settle down!

Cheers! Val

Oh I used to hate that. We had two buyers who loved our house but had only just put theirs on the market. Eventually we told our agents we only wanted people who had actually sold theirs and were in a position to make an offer. I's all extremely stressful. We had decided to rent it out as we had our visa and grandchild was imminent and we wanted to go. Luckily we managed to sell at the last minute and actually completed on the same day we flew out to Australia. So stressful!

Edited by Bridgeman

Sorry to hear that Bridgeman, can't remember if you're renting here or there? Either way that's got to be a huge pain in the behind. Hope you find somewhere soon

maisie

Thanks Maisie, yes we are renting in Oz but tied in to a rental contract till July. Now having to deal with the place being painted and other repairs, plus home opens and the landlord won't even give us a reduction in the rent for the inconvenience.

What state are you living in? In Queensland, tenants do not have to agree to open homes. All they have to agree on is a viewing by prospective buyers on 24 hours notice. I am fairly sure you do not have to agree to the place being repainted either - have a look at the state Landlord and Tenant Act. Repainting is not repair, unless of course you have caused damage yourself, which I presume is not the case. There will also be some kind of tenant advocacy group in your state. Show a bit of fang and claw!

What state are you living in? In Queensland, tenants do not have to agree to open homes. All they have to agree on is a viewing by prospective buyers on 24 hours notice. I am fairly sure you do not have to agree to the place being repainted either - have a look at the state Landlord and Tenant Act. Repainting is not repair, unless of course you have caused damage yourself, which I presume is not the case. There will also be some kind of tenant advocacy group in your state. Show a bit of fang and claw!

No unfortunately we are in WA, and the law is different. We can object to the home opens and ask for viewings by appointment but I think this might be more disruptive. The painting was actually something we had been badgering the agents for ourselves for ages, as large cracks appeared in the walls which were repaired but had never been repainted. Of course, they finally decided to get it done now when they want to put it on the market so we could hardly say we didn't want it doing now. I am beginning to find there are lots of little anomalies between states and the tenancy laws in WA don't seem to be as good as elsewhere. Something for you newcomers to be aware of.

Guest Petina

Hi Maisie,

How are things going? We have now done our Police checks (both Australian (very efficient) and UK) and have done the medicals. There was a slight problem with my husband as the doctor detected a slight irregular heart beat. He has since had an ECG and spoken to our doctor and there is nothing to worry about. All have been sent to Australia and now we sit and wait - yet again! One point of interest - when our son went to register with Centrelink for the AOS, he was told that he had no record in his passport of his permanent residency. He then had to go to the Immigration department to get the necessary stamp in his passport! All now done. As mentioned, we sit and wait for the next stages, which, I presume are being allocated a Case officer and paying the AOS! We will be putting the house on the market this week and who knows how long it will take to sell it - what is the length of a piece of string, as the saying goes??

All the best and hope you are well?

Petina

Hi Maisie,

How are things going? We have now done our Police checks (both Australian (very efficient) and UK) and have done the medicals. There was a slight problem with my husband as the doctor detected a slight irregular heart beat. He has since had an ECG and spoken to our doctor and there is nothing to worry about. All have been sent to Australia and now we sit and wait - yet again! One point of interest - when our son went to register with Centrelink for the AOS, he was told that he had no record in his passport of his permanent residency. He then had to go to the Immigration department to get the necessary stamp in his passport! All now done. As mentioned, we sit and wait for the next stages, which, I presume are being allocated a Case officer and paying the AOS! We will be putting the house on the market this week and who knows how long it will take to sell it - what is the length of a piece of string, as the saying goes??

All the best and hope you are well?

Petina

Hi Petina - It must feel like you've taken a good leap forward now you've done your police checks and had your medicals. So pleased all is well with your hubs ECG. How long did the Aussie police check take? It's really good to see things moving forward as we all sit here counting the months you've been waiting on our fingers and comparing them with our own LOL. Our house has been on the market for over a year. Was supposed to have a viewing today but they cancelled so will probably have to reduce the price next week humph!! Hope you get allocated a case officer soon.

Take care

Maisie x

Hi,

Hoping someone can clarify the following for me.

My parents have used a migration agent for there 173 visa and are currently in month 14. The agent has recommended not to send the police checks and medicals before a CO is allocated.

Reading previous posts, am I right in saying majority of people have actually sent those in early?

Does it speed up the process or is better to wait for a CO.

Thanks in advance

Rash

Guest Petina

Hi Maisia, yes it does feel like that but I think all will be quiet for a while! The Aussie police check was very efficient - all done on line and got a response within a few hours. Confirmation that all was ok, was sent a couple of days later. The cost was half that of the UK police check!

Good luck with the house - there is someone out there who wants to buy it!

Bye for now

Petina

x

Guest Petina
Hi,

Hoping someone can clarify the following for me.

My parents have used a migration agent for there 173 visa and are currently in month 14. The agent has recommended not to send the police checks and medicals before a CO is allocated.

Reading previous posts, am I right in saying majority of people have actually sent those in early?

Does it speed up the process or is better to wait for a CO.

Thanks in advance

Rash

Hi,

It doesn't speed up the process. We did the medical early only because we thought that there might have been an issue for my husband. I believe that the police checks are valid for a year - I think I am right in saying that - but not sure what conditions apply for a 173.

When did you apply?

Anita

Edited by Petina

Hi all

This has nothing to do with migration really - only in that it's an incentive for us to go - but I mentioned earlier on this thread to Vava that I was expecting a grandchild to be born any time. This is just to say we now have a lovely little grandson. Looking forward to meeting him next month :-)

Hi all

This has nothing to do with migration really - only in that it's an incentive for us to go - but I mentioned earlier on this thread to Vava that I was expecting a grandchild to be born any time. This is just to say we now have a lovely little grandson. Looking forward to meeting him next month :-)

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Was wondering when you would post to tell us. Hope both are well. Ironically, this thread has everything to do with the main reason we are all doing this - our grandchildren! Have a safe trip. Val x

Hi all waiting parents,

Just received the test email back from IMMI and it would appear that their backlog of acknowledgement letters have now moved to mid Jan 2015 and best of all they are now assessing 143’s lodged from 9 July 2013. At long last they seem to be moving the backlog. We are keeping busy ebaying anything we don't need, this has been going on since February and it' surprising just how much you can sell. Have to do something positive to keep our minds off the never ending wait. Roll on the general election then we put the for sale sign up and have something else to think about! Anybody had letter recently asking for Meds or police check yet?

julie

Hi all

Many congratulations to you :-) .... and ditto what Vava said, it is all about the little ones xxxx