Guest guest36187

Hi Alan

I looked again and it definately says that - so has anyone had experience of this? I would rather pay as I go and risk it rather than pay the huge premiums - my parents are luckily pretty healthy at the moment despite being late 70s.

"Parent visa applicants need to take out private health insurance for the entire time they

are in Australia while waiting a decision on their parent visa application. This is the case

even for those parent visa applicants who are citizens of an RHCA country as they will

not have full Medicare coverage."

Hi again gucci.

There is no visa condition attaching to a BV requiring the holder to maintain private health insurance.

I have just checked correspondence issued by the Department of Immigration to a couple of our subclass 804 visa applicant clients to make sure I'm not forgetting something.

You may want to contact Medicare Entitlements to enquire as to the extent of cover while holding a BVA as the passport holder of a country with which Australia has a RHCA.

Try telephoning 13 20 11.

I'll send a PM to you as well with a contact for private health insurance cover.

Best regards.

Goodness Cassie, how organised are you then, getting a flight so quickly? Wishing you all the best in your new adventure. Is your heart in your mouth? Mine is a bit, as I am just behind you ?

Well, Vava, we sold our house within a very short time, so guess we have been lucky this time. Unlike previous houses which have taken at least 18 months to sell! Just hang in there.

Amanda, as of last year, Immi changed the 'what to do and when' times. We followed more or less what dates they asked us to do the police checks, medicals and AOS, so far is seems to be working ok. Our police checks and passport details were requested by email last week. The medicals are sent direct by the clinic you attend. So the last hurdle is paying the 2nd VAC, money already over in Aus and our daughter will pay it (that is unless she decides to go on a round the world trip with the money haha ? ).

It's very interesting reading the posts on here, particularly when the light is showing at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks Carob,

Great to hear it's working out well, and thanks for the info. We'll need a good six months clear to sell properties (they seem to sell okay where we are so fingers crossed on that matter), then a couple of months notice at work once we know the sales are okay etc., so hopefully that'll work out okay. Seems you're starting to see the light now! :-)

All the best,

Amanda

Slight feeling of panic today, as the 2nd VAC has been requested. My daughter will be paying it for us (our money though haha) in Perth. Reducing our stuff outstanding on eBay!! Luckily we are already in a rental, having sold our house in September, so no concern there.

Slight feeling of panic today, as the 2nd VAC has been requested. My daughter will be paying it for us (our money though haha) in Perth. Reducing our stuff outstanding on eBay!! Luckily we are already in a rental, having sold our house in September, so no concern there.

Hi Carob

Brilliant news for you - congratulations!

Makes us feel as if there is progress - albeit pigeon steps.

We're heading to Perth as well - what suburb are you heading for?

Regards

Steve

Guest geordie joe

Great news, looks like you're all set to go, when do plan heading out ? I guess you will want to try and catch some of their summer, not that any of us are jealous (isn't that right Steve).

Hi Carob

Brilliant news for you - congratulations!

Makes us feel as if there is progress - albeit pigeon steps.

We're heading to Perth as well - what suburb are you heading for?

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the good wishes. We quite like Mandurah, but our daughter would prefer us to be closer to her, Burswood area, so that she can keep an eye on us haha. Still think we will go for Mandurah, as long as I can have something to look at. We are planning to rent and just spend our house money, by living it up a bit . Having said that, we might just end up buying after we get fed up not being able to hang our pictures on the wall!! Anticipating flying out end of Feb/early March, but we will have to see how things pan out, after all, as yet, we have not got our visas.

Carob

Great news, looks like you're all set to go, when do plan heading out ? I guess you will want to try and catch some of their summer, not that any of us are jealous (isn't that right Steve).

Thanks gjoe. Hopefully we can go out the end of Feb early March. It will still be hot in Perth in March, as we have found on a previous visit then. Just have to get all the ducks in line now.

So in all for the time, as Steve said earlier, about 19 months, which is about par for the course. Carob

OMG how exciting for you (and costly lol) wonderful news...not long now til you have your visa .

Tab x

Thanks for the good wishes. We quite like Mandurah, but our daughter would prefer us to be closer to her, Burswood area, so that she can keep an eye on us haha. Still think we will go for Mandurah, as long as I can have something to look at. We are planning to rent and just spend our house money, by living it up a bit . Having said that, we might just end up buying after we get fed up not being able to hang our pictures on the wall!! Anticipating flying out end of Feb/early March, but we will have to see how things pan out, after all, as yet, we have not got our visas.

Carob

Hi Carob

You're within touching distance, they wouldn't ask for the 2nd VAC if you weren't going to get it.

We like Mandurah (Dolphins); and we like Bussleton even more but if we get over we'll be starting with our son in joondalup.

Regards

Steve

Hi Carob

You're within touching distance, they wouldn't ask for the 2nd VAC if you weren't going to get it.

We like Mandurah (Dolphins); and we like Bussleton even more but if we get over we'll be starting with our son in joondalup.

Regards

Steve

So great to hear of a success :yes:

Steve2 - soon be our turn ... hopefully!

Congratulations Carob

Wont be long now they will approve straight away, our agent was on holiday so our approval delayed slightly . The email from immi was sent as soon as they got the Aus bank cheque. Good as cash.

Any day now.

We landed in Sydney at 20:50 last night 13th oz time so not slept in 36 hours. what the hell, who needs sleep allready bought the paddle board and been out on Terrigal lagon, fortunately there was no Aussies watching when the Pommie fell in the drink within the 1st 30 seconds.

Fitting with Australian lifestyle in the right order , Watersports 1st priority, Job hunting 2nd. House 3rd

Its hot here gone from 10c Uk to 38c in Erina, walked out of the nice cool shopping centre into the sun and it felt Id been flashed with a blow lamp. Cant beat it

The dreams started and feeling great.

Cassie

Edited by Cass1e04

Congratulations Carob

Wont be long now they will approve straight away, our agent was on holiday so our approval delayed slightly . The email from immi was sent as soon as they got the Aus bank cheque. Good as cash.

Any day now.

We landed in Sydney at 20:50 last night 13th oz time so not slept in 36 hours. what the hell, who needs sleep allready bought the paddle board and been out on Terrigal lagon, fortunately there was no Aussies watching when the Pommie fell in the drink within the 1st 30 seconds.

Fitting with Australian lifestyle in the right order , Watersports 1st priority, Job hunting 2nd. House 3rd

Its hot here gone from 10c Uk to 38c in Erina, walked out of the nice cool shopping centre into the sun and it felt Id been flashed with a blow lamp. Cant beat it

The dreams started and feeling great.

Cassie

Wow - you've not hung around!

Hope all goes well for you - when do you find out how your dog coped with the journey?

Best wishes

Steve

Guest geordie joe
Hi all

Just found out that immi are now acknowledging 143's lodged on 30 May 2014.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the update Steve, seems like they have been working on the May applications for some time now, all very frustrating.

Hi Steve

Cassie coped really well we sent her out ahead of us flighing on the 9th dec. Took her to airport at 1700hrs. To cargo at Quantas who Andy at Transfuranimals.com uses, paperworks were a bit tricky but With Andys carefull guidance all was clear and the vet was also very careful to ensure everthing was correct. Immigration Vet checked her in on arrival and inspected all documentation. it was hard walking away from her, and leaving her with strangers.

The transport crate was delivered to our house 3weeks in advance of her leaving, we had her using it as a bed at night to get her used to being in the crate. We also had the crate made maximum size we were allowed for her size for which we paid, I am sure she appreciated the extra room.

Having undertaken the pet transfur I am pleased we did not try and deal with this ourselves and took the agent route and it was money well spent, if anything is incorrect quaranteen will send them straight back and the whole 6month process starts again. Paperworks and timelines for Vets preperation are cast in stone and quaranteen allows no errors on paperworks, expecting every single page of all paperworks to be fully stamped and correct.

We ensured her fur was clipped short as climate heat is quite a switch, we also sent additional bedding and toys and meds.strapped to the container with instructions for quaranteen which were all used as provided.

Eastern creek notified us by email all was well and the wait started.

Our daughter collected Cassie on the 21st and she settled in straight away, We were greeted by a happy dog and in the end a lot of the stress and worry over that part of the process was our own feelings and compounded but our preperation for our migration.

Having migrated at this time of year Aclimatisation was probably as worse as it gets for the pets, She has dealt with tha well herself, her normal behavior has been adjusted to cope, having adjusted her down time patterns and searched out the coolest spots to rest at the hotest times of the days.

On our arrival we were greeted by a dog that was really pleased to be reunited with us and all is well.

Hope these few words are helpfull for others

Signing off for the moment and now living the dream

Cass

Edited by Cass1e04

Hi Steve

Thanks for the update on acknowledgement date. Immi are supposed to have extra staff on the job but all we are seeing is longer delays than ever. It'smoved from 5 months to 7 months and it's looking like going to 8 months now. Hopefully it''s only a delay in issuing acknowledgement letters and that we won't have to wait too much longer for processing at the end! We fly home from Melbourne tomorrow having spent 6 weeks with our daughter. Hopefully the next time we fly out it will be for good!

Julie

Hi Steve

Thanks for the update on acknowledgement date. Immi are supposed to have extra staff on the job but all we are seeing is longer delays than ever. It'smoved from 5 months to 7 months and it's looking like going to 8 months now. Hopefully it''s only a delay in issuing acknowledgement letters and that we won't have to wait too much longer for processing at the end! We fly home from Melbourne tomorrow having spent 6 weeks with our daughter. Hopefully the next time we fly out it will be for good!

Julie

Hi Julie

Yes it is official on the "test" email reply today that they are now 8 months behind in sending acknowledgements; the "task force" they put in place months ago seems to fighting a losing battle; I believe that May/June were particularly heavy months for applications so I guess we'll have to continue to be patient.

Generally they have always said that the delay in acknowledgements will not affect the actual time scales for processing/granting but we shall see.

Recent grants seem to be going through at roughly 19 months from lodgement.

Hope you had a wonderful time, we're making a visit to Perth in May.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

Cassie coped really well we sent her out ahead of us flighing on the 9th dec. Took her to airport at 1700hrs. To cargo at Quantas who Andy at Transfuranimals.com uses, paperworks were a bit tricky but With Andys carefull guidance all was clear and the vet was also very careful to ensure everthing was correct. Immigration Vet checked her in on arrival and inspected all documentation. it was hard walking away from her, and leaving her with strangers.

The transport crate was delivered to our house 3weeks in advance of her leaving, we had her using it as a bed at night to get her used to being in the crate. We also had the crate made maximum size we were allowed for her size for which we paid, I am sure she appreciated the extra room.

Having undertaken the pet transfur I am pleased we did not try and deal with this ourselves and took the agent route and it was money well spent, if anything is incorrect quaranteen will send them straight back and the whole 6month process starts again. Paperworks and timelines for Vets preperation are cast in stone and quaranteen allows no errors on paperworks, expecting every single page of all paperworks to be fully stamped and correct.

We ensured her fur was clipped short as climate heat is quite a switch, we also sent additional bedding and toys and meds.strapped to the container with instructions for quaranteen which were all used as provided.

Eastern creek notified us by email all was well and the wait started.

Our daughter collected Cassie on the 21st and she settled in straight away, We were greeted by a happy dog and in the end a lot of the stress and worry over that part of the process was our own feelings and compounded but our preperation for our migration.

Having migrated at this time of year Aclimatisation was probably as worse as it gets for the pets, She has dealt with tha well herself, her normal behavior has been adjusted to cope, having adjusted her down time patterns and searched out the coolest spots to rest at the hotest times of the days.

On our arrival we were greeted by a dog that was really pleased to be reunited with us and all is well.

Hope these few words are helpfull for others

Signing off for the moment and now living the dream

Cass

Thanks for this.

Best of luck out there!!

Please Help advise.

We're really not very good with official visa speak even when they ARE making it clear.

My MIL is in the process of applying for a CPV subclass 143. We're hoping her visa will be granted within the next 12 months (submitted in April 2014)

Meanwhile, She has applied for a Visitors visa Subclass 600 with a view to stay for the 12 months, returning to the UK to receive her CPV before heading back to Oz again.

She received this email from the visa site.

Other Requirements

Parents of Australian citizens and Australian permanent residents, who are outside Australia, may be considered for the grant, on a case-by-case basis, of Visitor (subclass 600) Tourist stream visas with up to:

Three years’ validity with 3, 6 or 12 months stay on each entry for parents who are not in the Parent (subclass 103) visa queue and have a history of compliant travel.

In addition to mandatory Visitor (subclass 600) Tourist stream visa requirements and conditions, parents utilising these arrangements will be subject to the following three conditions

Condition 8558 - Not Resident

Prevents the holder from staying in Australia for more than 12 months in any 18 month period. Your visa may be cancelled if you seek to return to Australia and stay for a period which would result in you spending more than 12 months in any 18 month period onshore. Your visa will automatically cease if you stay in Australia for more than 12 months continuously.

Which visa are they suggesting will cease? The CPV or the 600???

Thanks in advance?

Edited by Cheeky Rascal

Advice to future retirees in Australia is that it takes around $40,000 for a single person to retire comfortably here. That assumes you own your own home. Of course, a lot depends on your lifestyle.

We have the highest labour costs in the world now. My electrician (in Brisbane) charges $88.00 per hour and that is pretty standard. I have a handyman who charges $50 an hour and that's about the best you can hope for.

The Commonwealth Seniors Health card is means tested. Currently, it is not available to a single person if he/she earns more than about $50,000 a year. I know this because my father recently died, and my mother's income is probably now going to be too high for her to be eligible for the Senior's Health card any more. Not that it matters - she is now in residential aged care and is bulk billed.

Some doctors will bulk bill Medicare to those holding the Senior's health card. But many will not. They are not obliged to do so.

And yes, your UK state pension will be frozen forever, and you have to wait ten years before becoming eligible for the Australian pension. (This is a federal, not state, matter.) The pension is also means tested, and I think the means testing is going to be tightened further, especially for those on part pensions who currently get a lot of benefits, while being allowed to hold property worth millions of dollars.

You also have to think about aged care, which has just become a lot more expensive for most people. See the My Aged Care website.

Dentistry is certainly expensive. You can shop around for the best deals on private health insurance, which will pay for some of it, depending on your level of "extras" coverage. Queensland does NOT offer any concessions on dental coverage that I am aware of. My mother, 90, recently had a serious dental problem and the "gap" on her top level private insurance was several hundred dollars. Residents of aged care homes do get free checkups, but have to pay themselves for any dental work. It is certainly a big hole in our health system which no government is now likely to be able or willing to fix.

Vet bills are also high. Routine annual shots for one of my dogs just cost over $200. You can get pet insurance, but it won't cover routine stuff.

Some things are about to get considerably cheaper as the result of recent free trade agreements with Japan and South Korea. Cars, electronics etc.

As to the exchange rate, that's obviously difficult to predict. I have decided to wait until the result of the Greek elections this weekend before buying pounds for my trip to the UK this year - it will probably send all the European currencies into a tailspin, at least for a while. But in general, the Australian dollar (which floats, of course) is closely tied to commodity prices, especially iron ore and coal. Those seem likely to be subdued for some time, so a much lower Australian dollar seems on the cards.

Best,

Robyn