Where to move

Guest wheres wally

Guest wheres wally

We have lived in Perth for 3 years now but are moving back to the u.k in march. Don't get me wrong we really like perth and have enjoyed our selves while we have been here BUT there is something missing. This might be to some people, a little problem, that we'll over come in time, but we have been here for 3 years, my wife does really likes it but i just cant feel setteld. She is really supportive of us moving back to the u.k, but she really does not want to move back to Manchester. This i totally agree with, we moved out of the uk cause we thought we hated it, but was it because we hated Manchester??? This is the reason of this Blog, we would really appreciate peoples opnion of Bristol, Bath, Southampton, Bournmouth, Exeter, this is where we feel we would like to try. Thanks

Guest Guest31881
We have lived in Perth for 3 years now but are moving back to the u.k in march. Don't get me wrong we really like perth and have enjoyed our selves while we have been here BUT there is something missing. This might be to some people, a little problem, that we'll over come in time, but we have been here for 3 years, my wife does really likes it but i just cant feel setteld. She is really supportive of us moving back to the u.k, but she really does not want to move back to Manchester. This i totally agree with, we moved out of the uk cause we thought we hated it, but was it because we hated Manchester??? This is the reason of this Blog, we would really appreciate peoples opnion of Bristol, Bath, Southampton, Bournmouth, Exeter, this is where we feel we would like to try. Thanks

Hi,

First may I wish you good luck with your move, I do not have much experience of the south of England, but I did lived on the Isle of Wight for 3 years and loved it there, crime is lower than the mainland and I found it is a very friendly place to live. The only draw back was the ferries to and from the mainland if you wanted to visit anywhere, but you do get a reduced rate on the ferries and if you do a lot of travelling then you can buy discount tickets. The down side was unemployment was high, especially in the winter.

The biggest employers were the Hospital, the emergency services and the prison service. Of course there are other employers but it depends on what your occupation is.

Also you would still be close to beaches or countryside depending on what type of area you want to live in.

Guest wheres wally

Yeah looked at the Isle of White but as you have said it's got more dont's than does im affraid. thanks for the info though :)

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi,

if you have loads of money and you can afford to live in a nice area in the uk there are places, here in yorkshire mainly to the North, there are nice places well away from the hundreds of sink hole housing estates where crime , drugs and anti-social behaviour is at pandemic levels. You won't however get away from the the fact that the country is almost bankrupt and unemployment is worse now than ever before in the uk's history. Why don't you try Brisbane, or Melbourne, they seem to have alot more going on than Perth. You have made the move to the other side of the world, so moving to another area in Australia shouldn't be that difficult. If its because you are homesick then obviously you have made your mind up, but if its because Perth hasn't floated your boat, then somewhere else just might, best of luck anyway whatever you do.

jim.

really depends on what aspect you are hoping to find in the uk ....bristol is not as nice as bath,which comes in at the top end of my hypothetical list!..speaking from experience lots of the southern costal areas are well worth a look,but the ones you've mentioned don't spring to mind when measured against perth.The cost of living in the south is considerably higher than further north.So I suppose having to choose from your suggestions I'd say ..

bath

I've lived in Brighton, Exeter and am now residing in Cheltenham since moving to the UK. Exeter isn't a bad place to live from my experience, and nor is Bristol, provided you enjoy a city life...and crime rates in Bristol aren't too great from what i've heard either.

I guess it all depends on your family situation, jobs, and what you're looking for. If you're after a bit of quiet, schools etc. I'd go for Bath too =]

Guest juliemtaylor

I live in Dursley, Glos in between Cheltenhamand Bristol. Schools here are good, much better than Bristol - unless you have loads of money, but it's dependent on where you need to work.. It is accessible to many areas, but do some research on your type of work. Mine is in IT and we moved here from Oxfordshire area for a job which went down the swanny and now OH travels to Swindon everyday..

Julie x

Bath would be one of my top places to live although I would be perfectly happy with Exeter as well. If I were to return to Bristol, it would have to be one of the little villages outside rather than the city itself. Cant say about Bournemouth or Southampton, many years since I have been to either but I guess it all depends on where you could get a job. I dont think I would be going back to Manchester either if I didnt have to - mind you there are some lovely little places in N Yorks which would make me very happy (around Settle is nice)

Guest treesea

We lived in Manchester for a while - Cheetham Hill - a very acquired taste; I wouldn't recommend it :-). I did see some really nice places around there though, none of which met my "inner city" preferences but had good schools. Most of Trafford, Sale, Didsbury. Bournemouth is a seriously nice place to live. Not city enough for me, but I do like their idea of the seaside.

Milton Keynes

Bath is a beautiful city, but is very expensive on the whole. Also has its fair share of dropouts, druggies etc. My daughter is a police officer there and deals with them on a daily basis!

Can't suggest anywhere else for you, just thought you should realise Bath is not the be all and end all, but it is lovely.

Good luck wherever you end up. Cheers pam

Hi,

if you have loads of money and you can afford to live in a nice area in the uk there are places, here in yorkshire mainly to the North, there are nice places well away from the hundreds of sink hole housing estates where crime , drugs and anti-social behaviour is at pandemic levels. You won't however get away from the the fact that the country is almost bankrupt and unemployment is worse now than ever before in the uk's history. Why don't you try Brisbane, or Melbourne, they seem to have alot more going on than Perth. You have made the move to the other side of the world, so moving to another area in Australia shouldn't be that difficult. If its because you are homesick then obviously you have made your mind up, but if its because Perth hasn't floated your boat, then somewhere else just might, best of luck anyway whatever you do.

jim.

this_is_me_by_England_Elephant437.jpg

Guest timnlinds

Hi, Have you decided yet - from all the replies that you got? We have just moved from Bristol to Melbourne and I would say that Bristol is the best place to live in the UK. Warmer than the north, less crowded than london, more soul than Bath (where I grew up), bigger than exeter, better than Milton Keynes (except that MK has no rush hour), bigger than Brighton and near sea, mountains, and the southwest. Brilliant.

Oh and did I mention that we haven't been able to rent out our house their yet.....

Tim

Guest wheres wally

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this post, all your comments were helpful. Were going to try out the Bristol area, and surrounding towns as it looks good and the info on the area from the net sounds good so hopefully we'll like it. If anyone knows of chippenham we would be greatful of any info. Thanks again:biggrin:

Guest PommieLady

Have you thought about moving interstate? We lived in WA for 3 years and never settled, I realise now that metro living isn't for us. Tassie is lovely and to be honest although we're set to move again I have settled, I just want to move into the city but oh wants to move somewhere warmer.

I'm not sure of your occupation but with some you can get assistance with relocating, I got about $15k although its going to be a lot less with my next one.

Tassie is probably the best place to raise kids and I would strongly recommend it to anyone. The quality of life here is fantastic, it really is closer to the Australian dream than metro living. Here in Launceston its very community oriented and family focused yet its close to everything, beaches, bush, rivers and mountains as well as only an hour to Melbourne, an hour and a half to Sydney.

Good Luck whatever you decide.

:wubclub:

Guest rachellh

I'd say of that list Bath is the nicest. I grew up in Bournemouth and it used to be nice, but went back recently and it's really gone down hill.

Rachel :)

Exeter is a lovely place to live.I lived there for quite a few years and in fact have family there.

Only 10 miles from Exmouth and its lovely beach.12 miles to Dawlish with its black swans and Capels fish and chjps.

Exeter quayside has had a lot of money spent on it,cracking place to go anytime of day.The Ship Inn is an excellant pub to just sit and watch the swans,fishermen and tourists while you sup an ice cold beer.They do good pub grub as well.

It has really good public transport links with rest of the country and it is only 3.5 hours to London.

I could ramble on for ever about the place its historical buildings its shopping precinct the river Exe.I enjoy the place so much I am off there in July for a holiday.

It really depends on what exactly you're looking for but I would suggest Exeter for the reasons Janine said, great pubs / restaurants, shopping, schools, it's a nice city!

Archived