totally confused about shipping- treatment charges

basil

Hi,

I have been reading the list of restricted items and the list of 'items of concern'.

I have searched PIO and found advice on what to take/not to take and lots of mention of fumigation charges for individual items.......but I'm still not clear if there's a maximum charge for a container needing treatment or if it's per item?

What sorts of fees have people paid before?

My dilemma is 99% of what I want to take is on the 'items of concern' list. Obviously I will clean it thoroughly but if it's all likely to be charged individually for treatment I'll have to admit defeat that it's just not worth bothering with any shipping at all.

If there's say a max $1000 bill for fumigating a 20ft container then I can just budget for that.

Is there a sticky I'm missing with all this on?

Examples of items I want to take are....

Dog toys

Dogs plastic beds

Dog crate

Floor cushions

Kitchenware

Towels and bedding

Wetsuits

Diving Equipment

Freezer

Wooden Bed (untreated bare wood from ikea)

Mattress

Wooden Bookshelf (laminated board so should be ok)

Wooden TV cabinet (ditto above)

I'm acutely aware that my inventory isn't going to read as 1 box of animal stuff amongst a families other belongings in a whole container but likely half the inventory is boxes of 'suspect' items :arghh:

Guest The Deaks

Hi

My container has recently arrived in Port Melbourne. I have had the following items declared as a 'no-go'

1 x Rain stick (thought it was Ok as it was treated but no)

1 x Christmas tree (tree is fake but bloody pine cones on it weren't)

I have to pay $88 destruction fee for both items which isn't too bigger deal, plus the $400 odd bucks for the processing that everyone pays as normal. In answer to your question, most of those items will be fine and I think your reading too much into it. I took garden tools, golf clubs and various other suspect items but I did give it all a good clean and wrap plastic bags around them. Whoever you are using for shipping (I used Pickfords) will be able to advise on ALL of it. Although though don't exactly underwrite it, they are usually very experienced in these kind of things. You'll probably find the IKEA beds are fine because its sawn wood and probably has some kind of treatment on it. We took a lot of the stuff on your list and its ok. As long as your fridge doesn't have stuff growing in it you'll be fine I'm sure. Watch out for those rain sticks and Xmas trees though...arrgh!

Guest juliemtaylor

Hi , you could always ask your shipper, that's what we are going to do.

I am taking Ikea beds with untreated wooden slats - shippers said ok as are manufactured wood, same with furniture.

I am not taking any pet stuff as I have read on here even when they used jeyes fluid they still got charged for fumigation or destruction!

wetsuits are coming with me on the plane! just going to clean as best I can..

kitchenware?? - nothing wrong with that if clean.. Not taking spices/foodstuffs or pepper mills.

Not sure re Freezer - think it is fine if it doesn't have cfc's in it that they dont like? we are not taking this or fridge as want new ones that are built for their weather..

Try AQUIS website for info too.

Feathers are fine in manufactured duvets and pillows we were told, but not hand made and stuffed items.

Hope this helps.

Julie x

I am not taking any pet stuff as I have read on here even when they used jeyes fluid they still got charged for fumigation or destruction!

I know, but I have so much dog stuff! I know this sounds so daft, but i hate to think of them not having their favourite toys, new ones just aren't the same.

Were people charged for fumigating the plastic beds or just fabric ones?

It does seem silly to to risk it and then have to pay for it to be destroyed, at least a rescue would make use of the beds here.

Hi, we took beds, bedding loads of tools, fishing equipment and that was all fine. Our petrol mower and tent failed and they wanted about $120 each item to clean it or.....................$120 each item to destroy it lol, cant see how its same price but it was a no brainer.

Theres so much to think about.

The items I am worried about are feather pillows and duvets and more importantly my daughters beloved antique rocking horse, Dobbyn. He has real horse hair tail and mane.

I sent an email to the department specifically asking about these items and got an automated email back with aload of mumbo jumbo. No definative answer!!!!:arghh:

Melanie x

Guest juliemtaylor

Feather pillows and duvets - I asked and shippers both said fine as they have been made by an industrial process , not stuffed yourself.

Plastic dog bed was one of the items someone on here had rejected - just buy new - not worth the expense...

we chopped our pine cones off our christmas tree!!

As for Dobbyn - think you will get charged for him as I think someone else has - if they open up the box.

Julie x

Guest Alison Nugent

Hi my shipment should arrive in Perth today, i will let you know if it clears but i had a lot of wood (as we are now in Malaysia so we purchased a lot of teak) the only things our movers told us they would definitely not allow was Christmas tree's, or any decorations like pine cones, animal skin (my sons drum had to stay as it had leather on) i had twigs and feathers in vases but they are a def no no, I also went over to Perth last week and took a flat leather lampshade in my case and declared it and they charged me $80 to get it sprayed. I will let you know if they accept my fridge/freezer, feather pillows, duvet, tall wooden lamp etc OMG hope so!!!!

Guest Alison Nugent

Hi Julie just wondered did you ask the removal company if you could ship your Christmas tree?? Because I had 9 quotes and they all said def no Christmas tree, its not the pine cones they say its because it hasnt been used for a year and bugs can breed, Stupid i know because my golf clubs havnt been used for a year ha ha. I know someone who was charged $150 because they destroyed the tree he was warned not to take it but took the chance, hope you dont mind me saying just wanted to warn you incase :-)

x

All four shipping agents I spoke too said that artificial trees without pine cones were OK to go if boxed up.

Generally, it seems to be luck of the draw for many things that exist in the grey zone. Nice earner for AQIS I guess?

:jimlad:

Guest Alison Nugent

Yeah your right i guess its if they look at it or if they are in a good mood that day Lol, Kevin got charged $150 and it was boxed and only a year old from john Lewis i didnt risk it but good luck to those that are hope you get it through ok :-) Im sure it will be fine.

Guest juliemtaylor
Hi Julie just wondered did you ask the removal company if you could ship your Christmas tree?? Because I had 9 quotes and they all said def no Christmas tree, its not the pine cones they say its because it hasnt been used for a year and bugs can breed, Stupid i know because my golf clubs havnt been used for a year ha ha. I know someone who was charged $150 because they destroyed the tree he was warned not to take it but took the chance, hope you dont mind me saying just wanted to warn you incase :-)

x

yes we asked both companies -- they said no probs as its artificial, but to chop off the cones..

Julie x

aagh, I hadn't even thought about our tent - was yours clean or rejected just for being a tent?!

I think there might of been some soil on the bottom of the groundsheet. To be honest i cant see us camping out here too much wildlife my wife wouldn't sleep a wink lol.

To be honest i cant see us camping out here too much wildlife my wife wouldn't sleep a wink lol.

Lol. I know we're not big campers anyway - but everytime we do camp we end up having to buy a new tent having binned the 'never used' old one......it's working out more expensive each time than a night in a hotel! If there's a chance we might use it again, it's coming.

Hi, have searched the website, but am still a bit confused about the wooden items that we can take. We have quite a lot of ikea furniture - my sons bed, and a little table and chairs set. These are untreated as far as I can tell - they have no varnish/paint on them. Are they a no no? Will be gutted if we can't take them, as he is very attached.

He also has some wooden toys - some brio train track, and a wooden tool set. Again, not all of this is varnished. He was bought them as presents for a recent birthday, and would be sad to leave them behind.

Any ideas? If we varnised the bed/table set, would it be ok then?

Thanks so much for your help.

Guest siamsusie
Hi, have searched the website, but am still a bit confused about the wooden items that we can take. We have quite a lot of ikea furniture - my sons bed, and a little table and chairs set. These are untreated as far as I can tell - they have no varnish/paint on them. Are they a no no? Will be gutted if we can't take them, as he is very attached.

He also has some wooden toys - some brio train track, and a wooden tool set. Again, not all of this is varnished. He was bought them as presents for a recent birthday, and would be sad to leave them behind.

Any ideas? If we varnised the bed/table set, would it be ok then?

Thanks so much for your help.

Ikea stuff is fine Eralc, and most of the other stuff also... its probably all chipboard (no offence) but thats what Ikea furniture is made of.... Children's items I think will be fine, just wash them all over... they are basically looking for anything with mites like wickers, straw baskets, antique furniture with wood worm etc.... declare them on your sheet, anything you are unsure about ask your removalists. Best wishes Susie:wubclub:

I know, but I have so much dog stuff! I know this sounds so daft, but i hate to think of them not having their favourite toys, new ones just aren't the same.

Were people charged for fumigating the plastic beds or just fabric ones?

It does seem silly to to risk it and then have to pay for it to be destroyed, at least a rescue would make use of the beds here.

I am going to put my cats favourite toys in my suitcase and carry them across with me, hopefully should be alright then.

Debbie

I am going to put my cats favourite toys in my suitcase and carry them across with me, hopefully should be alright then.

Debbie

I thought about that but my experience of the airports is it's even more thorough. There are signs literally everywhere....it's not like walking through UK customs nothing to dclare channel.

IMO you'd have to declare it and declare then as cleaned....but I reckon in the heat of the moment they're likely to be confiscated as it's such a production line checking cases there :(

Hi

We were told that Ikea furniture and Brio train set is okay as they have been manufactured (and hence heat treated). We have declared on AQIS form as normal household wooden furniture. Garden furniture was all cleaned with Jeyes fluid. Should arrive in a week or 2 so will let you know if it all comes through.

Our most suspect item was a dolls 'moses basket' made of straw-type stuff. We brought this in our suitcases and declared it, while asking them to be very discreet so that my daughter didn't cry. They took a big look and then said it was okay.

Karen

Guest juliemtaylor

so for the AQUIS form you just put one line normal domestic furniture as surely you don't have the spece to include every wooden item??

Julie x

• 5 months later...

Can you take any type of antique wooden stuff like chairs etc? My mum has brought us all a chair and is re upholstering each chair for us to take as a present. I did wonder about these as some are filled with horse hair (Yuk) but she is taking that out and putting new foam in. However, what about the wood of these chairs all which are 100+ years each?

Don't much fancy telling her we won't be able to take them!!!

Advice please?

Tina x

Guest The Mandreks

There is so much red tape on shipping, so we have a question about leather......

We have 2 geniune leather sofa's and wondered whether these would be ok to bring with us?

:confused:

Archived