Which shipping companies to get to quote???

paulimouse

We are moving from London to Canberra in the next few months and I need to get shippnig quotes done soon. I have brochures from the following companies:

Anglo Pacific

PSS

John Masons

Crown

Allied Pickfords

Doree Bonner

Any advice on how many and which ones I should get in to quote would be greatly appreciated. We are looking a sole use of a 20ft container.

Thanks

Cheapest isnt always best when they are transporting your wordly goods. If you have a good read through some of the older shipping threads i am sure you will get the jist of who is ok and who to avoid,, but it all boils down to who you feel happy with when they come out to quote. Most people get 3 or 4 quotes before choosing.

Off your list i would go for Crown (cause ive used them twice and they were great,lol) or Doree Bonner,, these are the 2 who tend to get minimal bad reports.

Good Luck with everything

Cal x

We used John Mason and were very happy with their service, As Cal said it will boil down to personal preference, from the companies we had round, the guy from John Masons impressed us with his professionalism and knowledge.

Guest guest36187

We used Simpsons shipping from Kent. Excellent service and nothing broken or missing

Arrived ahead of schedule too!

I used PSS, no problems with the uk side just the company they used in Brisbane were lazy git bags. They were very good at packing in uk, hence nothing was broken by the brisbane toerags. Would recomend them as they were cheap and packed well. don't have there own men in Aus but i don't think many do.

Guest sulky27

We used PSS would highly recommend them keep up informed all the way, we accidently went over weight the box split they informed us repacked us put the excess into a new box no charge..

Guest Janeloz

We used Doree Bonner and found them excellent. The two guys who packed were great, and even checked that I didn't actually want the Christmas presents that were at the back of my wardrobe packed! (they came to pack on 22nd Dec, so packed pressies would have been a disaster). Our stuff is now in storage with them, which is free for 4 weeks, then only £10 a week thereafter, whilst we wait for our Visa! We are currently living at the in-laws until visa comes through, then we're outta here!

Guest themikey

We did PSS...twias easy!

Did the thing got the boxes, bubble wrap etc etc from them (we packed the gear ourself). Phone them up and they did the rest...picked up the boxes, shipped, picked up in Sydney, moved to Newcastle then van manned to Clarence Town (in the boonies) and dropped at the door.

To be honest I was a bit amazed how easy it all went, I was sure something would have gone wrong somewhere!

We did PSS...twias easy!

Did the thing got the boxes, bubble wrap etc etc from them (we packed the gear ourself). Phone them up and they did the rest...picked up the boxes, shipped, picked up in Sydney, moved to Newcastle then van manned to Clarence Town (in the boonies) and dropped at the door.

To be honest I was a bit amazed how easy it all went, I was sure something would have gone wrong somewhere!

Hi, was it much cheaper packing it yourself and did you have any problems with insurance? Think I've read on here that if you pack yourself, the insurance is dearer or something?

Guest themikey

I can't remember to be honest ill try and check for you.

There is also a thread just on PSS movers in "news, gossip & chat" if that helps.

Mike

Guest emmahardy214
We used Doree Bonner and found them excellent. The two guys who packed were great, and even checked that I didn't actually want the Christmas presents that were at the back of my wardrobe packed! (they came to pack on 22nd Dec, so packed pressies would have been a disaster). Our stuff is now in storage with them, which is free for 4 weeks, then only £10 a week thereafter, whilst we wait for our Visa! We are currently living at the in-laws until visa comes through, then we're outta here!

what do you mean prezzies in your wardrobe? what no santa?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest33730
Well we have had 4 quotes in now (Pickfords, Doree Bonner, John Mason and Crown) and they range from £4000-£4700 for a 20ft Surrey-Canberra. What does that price range sound like? I thought we would get away with under £4000.........

Maybe it's because it's Canberra which to my knowledge doesn't have a port!! - To date, my quotes from Glasgow to Adelaide from the same companies as you have had quotes are coming in under the £4000 mark although I still am awaiting one more price. I have seen a couple of people saying they got quotes of £3,500 recently after negotiating a bit.

Daniel

Guest marian and ian burgess
We are moving from London to Canberra in the next few months and I need to get shippnig quotes done soon. I have brochures from the following companies:

Anglo Pacific

PSS

John Masons

Crown

Allied Pickfords

Doree Bonner

Any advice on how many and which ones I should get in to quote would be greatly appreciated. We are looking a sole use of a 20ft container.

Thanks

Hi we have just emigrated to Sydney and our belongings arrived at our home two weeks ago. We used PSS who were friendly, helpful and much cheaper than the competition. We lived in Devon which was no problem to them.

Regards Marian and Ian Burgess

Well we have had 4 quotes in now (Pickfords, Doree Bonner, John Mason and Crown) and they range from £4000-£4700 for a 20ft Surrey-Canberra. What does that price range sound like? I thought we would get away with under £4000.........

Hi Paul,

Just had a qoute from PSS £3547.00 for 20-0ft container Manchester - Adelaide

Regards

Les

It seems to be that my quotes are all higher - must be due to that fact that it is door to door to Canberra (no port) so arrives Sydney then has to be transported to Canberra. Oh well - will see if I can get any of them down. Apparently prices are going up for anything shipped after 28/2/10 too....... :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

We had Pickfords. We were quoted £3888 approx. but told them we had cheaper and dearer quotes but wanted to use them if they came down a bit on price. They came down to £3388 approx. so we said yes.

They also said it would be 7 - 9 weeks for the container to reach Perth and it left them in Manchester on 4th January, left dock on 12th January and they rang me last week to say it would be in Perth on 9th February. We nearly died as this is only about 4 weeks from the date it left the dock and we dont get in Perth ourselves until 15 February so i wasnt very pleased. I wanted to send it from their premises around 11 January but they said they would send it on 4th January to be on the safe side and now its going to get there too early. They said they had had good sailing and the 7 -9 weeks was only a rough guide so now we are hoping that it doesnt clear customs before we arrive and it looks like we are going to have to pay a months storage as we have booked a short term furnished rental until 17 March :arghh:

We had Pickfords. We were quoted £3888 approx. but told them we had cheaper and dearer quotes but wanted to use them if they came down a bit on price. They came down to £3388 approx. so we said yes.

They also said it would be 7 - 9 weeks for the container to reach Perth and it left them in Manchester on 4th January, left dock on 12th January and they rang me last week to say it would be in Perth on 9th February. We nearly died as this is only about 4 weeks from the date it left the dock and we dont get in Perth ourselves until 15 February so i wasnt very pleased. I wanted to send it from their premises around 11 January but they said they would send it on 4th January to be on the safe side and now its going to get there too early. They said they had had good sailing and the 7 -9 weeks was only a rough guide so now we are hoping that it doesnt clear customs before we arrive and it looks like we are going to have to pay a months storage as we have booked a short term furnished rental until 17 March :arghh:

Hi Deb

You should get intouch with Pickfords, I thought that you would be covered for storage for the first 60 days and then only pay for further storage.

Good luck

Les

Archived