would you live in Alice??

kellyjamie

Thanks everyone, your comments are invaluable:wubclub:

it would seem a resounding NO, they havent said what visa they would offer yet as they are now closed for crimbo. i know myself and jamie could cope but the kids are my main worry, aged nearly 4 and 13?

Have a wonderful crimbo season all xxxx

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest siamsusie
Yes Susie, I would be also hapy to go and live in the outback for a while, it's a very interesting part of our country, and so are many of the people. Sorry I didn't mean it to be a criticism of being different to Melbourne, I too don't like manmade cities very much either. I think the British person who asked me got a bit of a culture shock which her family weren't expecting. I enjoy reading your posts Susie. All the best. Olly

Olly:hug: Dont you worry, I realised it wasnt a criticism. I do understand what you mean. Having worked in the slums of Bangkok for many a year anything else looks like paradise:laugh: to me.

Have a wonderful new year Olly Love Susie xx

I probably would give it a go for a couple of years but our family are now grown and gone and there is no way on this earth that I would take kids there for their formative years unless I was going to put them in boarding school elsewhere.

As others have said, it is the antithesis of what most migrants want to come to Australia for and it takes quite a bit of getting used to. I'd do it for the adventure but I wouldnt want to make it a lifetime. However, that said, it is "real" Australia not the amorphous bling that makes up the Eastern seaboard.

I know someone has to do it but I would think working with disadvantaged indigenous youth would be something of a poisoned chalice especially as a white fella and would certainly challenge your patience and your values.

Guest PommieLady
From my (somewhat limited) experience of Australians, if you ask them if they'd live anywhere else but the house they live in now, most would say no. Call it contentment, call it fear of the unknown, I'd say that most people are just conservative.

I just wanted to clarify that most of the Australians I have met have usually lived in more than one state and are relatively well traveled, you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush :no:.

The Australians have sound reason's for not wanting to move to AS including isolation, cost of travel and travel time, high levels of crime in the context of being aware that 'issues' are kept out of the media.

So it's less a fear of the unknown and a fear of the known :wideeyed:.

I just wanted to clarify that most of the Australians I have met have usually lived in more than one state and are relatively well traveled, you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush :no:.

The Australians have sound reason's for not wanting to move to AS including isolation, cost of travel and travel time, high levels of crime in the context of being aware that 'issues' are kept out of the media.

So it's less a fear of the unknown and a fear of the known :wideeyed:.

Hi Pommielady, I didn't mean to sound like I was tarring, just noting the general level of insularity of many Aussies that I met during my stay in Oz.

Guest PommieLady
Hi Pommielady, I didn't mean to sound like I was tarring, just noting the general level of insularity of many Aussies that I met during my stay in Oz.

The 'insularity' you mention does indeed exist, people who've never been out of their home town or state and more that have never traveled abroad so I understand where you are coming from. I lived in what would be considered a 'red neck' area and was very surprised by what is considered 'normal' however these people are thankfully not your average Australian.

The 'insularity' you mention does indeed exist, people who've never been out of their home town or state and more that have never traveled abroad so I understand where you are coming from. I lived in what would be considered a 'red neck' area and was very surprised by what is considered 'normal' however these people are thankfully not your average Australian.

The thing is, I don't begrudge them this outlook.

If i lived in an area so pleasant and close to everything that anyone could possibly want, why go elsewhere!?

Guest proud2beaussie

I spent three years in Alice Springs back in the days when I was a chef and I have to say that I loved the place,I found the local community,including the indigenous community very friendly and welcoming,the scenery is something to behold,especially the Macdonnel ranges and places like Ormiston gorge.

The climate is not for everyone,it averages about 35 degrees during the summer but then it also gets very cool at night so sleeping is generally not a problem,during the winter it is quite pleasant during the day,it is a dry place though and rainfall can vary enormously.

I used to spend my days off from work by taking my little tent and a camp stove,some beer and my books out into the bush about an hours drive from town,and I would camp by a water hole and relax,it was something most of my colleagues did as well and I found it a great way to get a sense of connection with the landscape around me.

I really enjoyed my time in 'the Alice' but you do need to be the right sort of person to appreciate it and you have to be prepared to spend a bit of time there before you really know the place IMO.

Good luck with your decision.

I spent three years in Alice Springs back in the days when I was a chef and I have to say that I loved the place,I found the local community,including the indigenous community very friendly and welcoming,the scenery is something to behold,especially the Macdonnel ranges and places like Ormiston gorge.

The climate is not for everyone,it averages about 35 degrees during the summer but then it also gets very cool at night so sleeping is generally not a problem,during the winter it is quite pleasant during the day,it is a dry place though and rainfall can vary enormously.

I used to spend my days off from work by taking my little tent and a camp stove,some beer and my books out into the bush about an hours drive from town,and I would camp by a water hole and relax,it was something most of my colleagues did as well and I found it a great way to get a sense of connection with the landscape around me.

I really enjoyed my time in 'the Alice' but you do need to be the right sort of person to appreciate it and you have to be prepared to spend a bit of time there before you really know the place IMO.

Good luck with your decision.

Nige, you've just sold it to me. Where do I sign up?:biggrin:

Guest proud2beaussie

And as for crime figures well I'm about to move to London and yet I'm not in the least put off by the crime figures there,I wonder what sort of response I would get from the likes of Aldo if I posted a similar question about the UK.

Something like "would you live in Birmingham"?( I'm not having a go at Birmingham BTW just using it as an example)

And as for crime figures well I'm about to move to London and yet I'm not in the least put off by the crime figures there,I wonder what sort of response I would get from the likes of Aldo if I posted a similar question about the UK.

Something like "would you live in Birmingham"?( I'm not having a go at Birmingham BTW just using it as an example)

Nigel, don't p1ss on my boots and tell me its raining.:wink: You are moving to a very affluent suburb on the London/kent boarders. I would hazard a guess that the per capita crime figures would favour Biggin Hill.

That said, the thread is re: Alice so crime stats on London aren't really helpful :GEEK:

I probably would give it a go for a couple of years but our family are now grown and gone and there is no way on this earth that I would take kids there for their formative years unless I was going to put them in boarding school elsewhere.

As others have said, it is the antithesis of what most migrants want to come to Australia for and it takes quite a bit of getting used to. I'd do it for the adventure but I wouldnt want to make it a lifetime. However, that said, it is "real" Australia not the amorphous bling that makes up the Eastern seaboard.

I know someone has to do it but I would think working with disadvantaged indigenous youth would be something of a poisoned chalice especially as a white fella and would certainly challenge your patience and your values.

I just love that description - just about sums up my opinion of Sydney too - hang on a min just gonna book me appointment for me nail extensions ... then goin for a 'chino and crussant' - haha

Guest sooveroz
Hi all,

Jamie has been told he stands a very good chance of getting a job offer from a non-profit organisation but the job is in Alice Springs. Its working with disadvantaged Aboriginal kids. What do we do? Do we apply and have a very good chance of getting it and having to go there or do we pass the opportunity up? We are still waiting to hear about the job on the Gold Coast.

Ive checked the website for moving to AS and it says why not experience the true outback for 2 years give your kids a real experience etc etc. Jamies quite concerned with the fact that if the native people of oz dont like the white aussies what chance is there of them taking to us? He would love the chance in one way as it would be an amazing experience but on the other i doubt we,d get any visitors and is it really just a large outbak town with nowt to do except wipe dust out my eyes? Opinions plz peeps?

Kel:wubclub:

i had the misfortune of spending 4 days there on a team building event there last year and it was without a doubt the worst experience of my life because of the damn flies - they are a nightmare and are everywhere and we had to wear nets on our heads even whilst indoors. the only respite was in the pool but it was way too hot to be exposed to the sun all the time. i found it to be unclean and crawling in bugs etc. the nights are better - you get fantastic views of the stars.

working with disadvantaged aboriginal kids - i must say that type of job would definately be interesting and I can see that someone would be attracted to it - the kids we met were just fantastic but their stories were so awful that it literally brought me to tears - don't think i am strong enough to live with that type of stuff around me and in my face type of thing.

honestly as a mother of a 12 year old - and i can only speak for my child - i could never ever imagine taking her to live in alice springs for any more than a month or two - and certainly not from over the other side of the world - they have struggled enough in perth to be honest!! but you know your own child and it may be something that they would get a lot from.

its my son who concerns me most at nearly 13. hes a chilled laid back virtually horizontal lad, but this is a massive move for him as its for all of us, but the education is my biggest fear, i wouldnt put him in boarding school, and also hes dyslexic so we need to pick a school where he,ll get the best support

Guest siamsusie
its my son who concerns me most at nearly 13. hes a chilled laid back virtually horizontal lad, but this is a massive move for him as its for all of us, but the education is my biggest fear, i wouldnt put him in boarding school, and also hes dyslexic so we need to pick a school where he,ll get the best support

You could always try St Philip's College Alice Springs

they do day and boarders programs, this school has a very good reputation. Doesnt hurt to ask. Best of luck with your decision Best wishes Susie x:wubclub:

Hi

Here are my thoughts.

* Kids can changed massively from 13 - 15, no one can say how! As long as his dyslexia is catered for by the school there shouldn't be a huge problem. Phone the school SS has suggested and see what they're like and what they say.

I wouldn't be worried about the 'education' of the smaller one, there's plenty on-line to help if you need it. There's maybe a lot more 'education' in the area for them anyway!!!

* Only your OH knows if the job is for him - the challenge etc. I'd think it would look good on a CV and would help with contacts and getting another job after the contract.

* 2 Years isn't that long, and only you as a family know if you can take a challenge like that. We're all different - some people don't 'do' camping because of their nails for example!!! I'm not saying it's like camping, but so many people say they want to go to Aus for the 'adventure' - and you've got the chance!!! Only you know what you 'need' as a family.

Good luck with making the decision.

Sue x

• 4 months later...
Guest linda manning

we came 2006 with 4 children and we are still here in alice 4 years later and i would nt live any where else the life style is fantastic and the people are great the schools are good too. my eldest daughter bought her first house at the age of 18 and she is now looking to get her second. there is plenty of work.my kids love it here and yes there is some trouble with the aboriginals but just the same as in london , birmingham and any uk city we were from leicester. here it has blue sky and warm days 10 months a year we love it so dont believe everything people say there are 28,00 people live here and they are very happy linda:smile:

Guest chris955

I can't say it would appeal to me, if you like isolation it would be fine I suppose but that along with the crime would put me off. You have to remember that once you are in Alice Springs you are literally hours from anywhere else.

we came 2006 with 4 children and we are still here in alice 4 years later and i would nt live any where else the life style is fantastic and the people are great the schools are good too. my eldest daughter bought her first house at the age of 18 and she is now looking to get her second. there is plenty of work.my kids love it here and yes there is some trouble with the aboriginals but just the same as in london , birmingham and any uk city we were from leicester. here it has blue sky and warm days 10 months a year we love it so dont believe everything people say there are 28,00 people live here and they are very happy linda:smile:

Refreshing to hear your story Linda & learn that you & the family are enjoying life in Alice. I've visited Alice a few times over the years & spent a week or longer each time when there. As an Australian.. I find the area amazing .. the countryside is massive, colourful & I connect with the spirituality of the place (the sky is amazing - especially on a clear night).

Visiting & staying with good friends who are 'locals' afford us great insight into day to day life in Alice. We've always found people to be very friendly & welcoming (& as lots of people 'relocate' to Alice & aren't from there.. I think this influences the social life you can have there hugely ie: people make more of an effort) Sure it's not got all the mod cons on your doorstep but then there is SO much else available to you - your priorities would change. Spending time in the dessert for me is special (I can hear all of you freaked out by "creepy crawlies" screaming from here!)

So to all all the 'naysayers' to spending 2 years there.. what scares you? Are the concerns you have real & genuine? I think 2 years living in Alice would a life enhancing experience:biggrin:

Refreshing to hear your story Linda & learn that you & the family are enjoying life in Alice. I've visited Alice a few times over the years & spent a week or longer each time when there. As an Australian.. I find the area amazing .. the countryside is massive, colourful & I connect with the spirituality of the place (the sky is amazing - especially on a clear night).

Visiting & staying with good friends who are 'locals' afford us great insight into day to day life in Alice. We've always found people to be very friendly & welcoming (& as lots of people 'relocate' to Alice & aren't from there.. I think this influences the social life you can have there hugely ie: people make more of an effort) Sure it's not got all the mod cons on your doorstep but then there is SO much else available to you - your priorities would change. Spending time in the dessert for me is special (I can hear all of you freaked out by "creepy crawlies" screaming from here!)

So to all all the 'naysayers' to spending 2 years there.. what scares you? Are the concerns you have real & genuine? I think 2 years living in Alice would a life enhancing experience:biggrin:

Not bad for a first troll , people are or were contemplating moving fromt the uk with kids ,visiting and migrating are 2 different kettles of fish

Guest chris955

I think the point was that turning up somewhere like Alice Springs with a family straight from the UK (or indeed anywhere) would be a huge culture shock.

Archived