Category 5 News

Guest Gollywobbler

Guest Rickard Family
Hi All,

Today when I checked my online status... a new line added to my status..

"31.03.2010 - Application being processed further"

Is somebody started looking into my file today?

Is it a happy news for me? keeping my figures crossed!!

I have front loaded all docs including Medicals/PCC etc.. No CO pre-23/09.

Satish

Hiya!

we had them same thing but dated 18.02.2010 which indicates we have a CO (Team 4) as she has requested further info, which they have had since begin of March!......but still have heard anything since!!!

Think they just like to play with us:biglaugh:...get us excited then let us down.....again lol

Lou xx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hiya!

we had them same thing but dated 18.02.2010 which indicates we have a CO (Team 4) as she has requested further info, which they have had since begin of March!......but still have heard anything since!!!

Think they just like to play with us:biglaugh:...get us excited then let us down.....again lol

Lou xx

Hi,

You mean to say that there is a CO for me!!! After how many days of changing the online status did the CO contacted you?

Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Satish

Guest Guest31881
Is monday a holiday for DIAC???? can some one clarify this pls...

yes its Easter Monday a national holiday.

Guest samra138

Hi All,

Visa grant letter has been received today.

I would like to share with you my timeline.

May 2009: applied online for visa 475 (NT nomination) (Priority 2)

May 2009: frontloaded my medical checks.

June 2009: medical shows “received”

July 2009: CO has been allocated and asked for PCC and form 80

July 2009: PCC and Form 80 were sent

Aug 2009: application is under routine checks.

Sep 2009: CO asked again to resend form 80 due to missing answers.

I am a computer professional and because I have a nomination from the NT, It did not matter for me to claim any specialization.

Sep 2009: on the 23rd, became Cat 5

I thought to make another assessment to claim one of the specialization in the CSL

Oct 2009: I applied for a new assessment

Jan 2010: positive assessment was received (Cat 2)and was forwarded to the CO

Jan 2010: in the next day the CO asked me to resend form 80 due to missing answers (it is the 3rd time to ask for it)

Jan 2010: In the next day, I sent a new form 80.

Feb 2010: changes in law (became Cat 3)

March 2010: PLE (under routine checks).

March 2010: Medical requirements were finalized

Yesterday: I sent an email to my CO about the long time of my routine checks.

Today: received the visa grant letter (Thanks a lot Jesus).

Note: all documents still show "required”

I would like to thank everyone who share in the forum. It was really helpful to me

And wish all the best to get their visa grant letters soon.

BR,

Sam

Guest harryvirdi

Hi Gill,

First of all thanks to you for helping lots of people who are seeking some help regarding migration issues.

I have applied for SIR visa (SA) but it's been one and a half year nothing has happened no CO appointed and no mail received. Last year 2009 my agent asked for my PCC and medical checks and i submitted both of my reports.

Please find my details:

SB 475 SIR VISA

state sponsorship -SA

Sales representative (Information and communication products)

Assessing Authority: VETASSESS

ASCO Code: 2222-13

Application Status: 04-12-2008 Application Received Processing Commenced.

Application Fee Received: 04-12-2008

Health requirements Finalized: 10-02-2009

When we check in documents check list all shows REQUIRED - MESSAGE

Kindly help me to find the status of my file and will they process my file this year or i have to wait till 2012.

Hope you will reply soon.

Thanks..

HarryVirdi

Guest VickyMel

Hi HarryVirdi

I don't think anyone here is able to find the status of your case. Your agent should be able to contact DIAC and ask them for you.

Did your agent ask you to get the Meds and PCCs because you had a CO.

If you look at the first post on the following thread you will see that there are many Cat 5 people who have been waiting from before Dec 2008.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/70633-176-ss-non-csl-where-you-now.html

Good luck

Vickymel

Guest Ladygray

Hi everyone

Am I right in thinking that the state sponsored 475 visas also fall into category 5. I only see references to subclass 176 applications being in category 5.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Harry

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I have applied for SIR visa (SA) but it's been one and a half year nothing has happened no CO appointed and no mail received.

Are you from a high risk country, Harry? If you are then there is a sort-of explanation for the continuing delay. With applicants from HR countries, the ASPC do a lot more checking than they do if the applicant is from an LR country.

1. Some of the extra checks - eg verifying the applicant's identity, his/her age and verifying his/her employment history is done by the Aussie embassy in the applicant's country of origin. With the checks that the ASPC want the local embassy to do (called "the overseas post" in this context) the ASPC simply ask the overseas post to do whatever the ASPC want them to do. The ASPC then sit and wait until the overseas post gets back to the ASPC - which can take many, many months.

Some of these overseas posts get a huge number of referrals to them but DIAC have had two pretty savage rounds of staff cuts recently so far. The DIAC Year runs from 1st July 20XX until the following 30th June 20X+1. I think it was in the 2007/2008 Year that quite a lot of jobs in the overseas posts were scrapped because the Aussie Prime Minister insisted that DIAC must cut its payroll via cutting the number of employees.

So where the ASPC staff have sent something to an overseas post, they are told just to sit, wait and not chase until the results are received.

There is no reason why you - the visa applicant - should not chase up the overseas post. However the majority of Registered Migration Agents (particularly the men) won't do it for you. They would offer several reasons for not doing it, including:

• The RMA usually works for a fixed fee. Asking loads of additional questions, chasing up the answers and telling you what they are all erodes the profit margin which is built into te fixed fee.
  • The RMA does not want to get known by the overseas post as being a prize, chasing pest with them becuse whilst the RMA might chase them about your skilled application this week, he might have to be ultra-nice to the same overseas post next week in order to sort out an offshore Partner visa with them or something like that.
  • The RMA is busy because making the RMA game return a good enough financial reward to make the game worth bothering with depends on getting enough clients to pay enough money. Once you have paid and the RMA has made your visa application for you, all that he will earn from extra fiddling about with the application in your behalf is erosion of his own profit.

2. Some of the checks that the ASPC ask for are "security checks." DIAC and the Commonwealth Ombudsman both refuse to say exactly what these "security checks" consist of because some of the work involved issues of Aussie National Security. No Government reveals exactly what it actually does in this regard.

ASIO is one of the Aussie Govt Agencies which does these security checks. Recently, the boss of ASIO has been whingeing publicly that doing all the checks that are required for the people involved in the recent spate of unauthorised boat arrivals means that his staff have not had the time to carry out their normal duties as well.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/82177-asio-sinking-under-asylum-seeker-security-checking-workload.html

As I understand it (though I know next to nothing about asylum-seeker/refugee visas) Aussie Law requires that the people must remain in mandatory detention until the security checking is done and their claims have been processed. The Aussie Government cannot keep foreign nationals locked up for any longer than is absolutely essential - the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees would complain, and rightly so, if the Aussie Government simply left people to fester in detention unnecassily - and the Aussie Tax-payer would complain bitterly about the costs of keeping them in detention as well. So the unauthorised boat arrivals get maximum priority with the ASIO checks.

That means that honest applicants for ordinary skilled visas who happen to come from HR countries of origin just have to wait in the event that ASIO causes the skilled applicant to suffer delays in processing his visa application. The ASIO website is below:

ASIO » ASIO - Home

I don't know whether ASIO is the only genuine non=DIAC agency that DIAC refer questions to. (Personally I don't believe that staff in the overseas posts who are involved with the applicant because of a visa application genuinely "don't work for DIAC." However no doubt the Aussie Civil Service is the same as the British one in that the staff from several different Departments/Agencies actually work for the same Minister but their salaries are paid by whichever Department/Agency they are specifically employed by.)

3. There is another organisation called ASIS:

ASIS

Since it says "secret" in their own name, it is pretty obvious that I don't know what they do and I don't know if it is possible to complain about delays made by an Agency that calls itself "secret." I don't know whether your RMA would know the answer to this either.

4. The Commonwealth Ombudsman can and will ask the ASPC to investigate a delay:

Home - Commonwealth Ombudsman

Your RMA does not even need to know about - let alone be informed about - any decision by you to ask the Ombudsman to find out why your application is taking so long. If you ask the ASPC yourself, you will just get whichever of their "standard waffle" replies they choose to push out.

The ASPC do tell the Ombudsman more about what they are doing than they are inclined to tell the visa applicant or his agent.

I know one PiO member who was from a Low Risk country. There was no obvious reason for the delay and what the ASPC said was not making sense so the guy sacked his RMA (who insisted that there was no reason for the continuing delay but insisted that unexplained delays are "normal" when they are not: there is always a reason for a delay) and the guy complained to the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman asked the ASPC and relayed the reply to the visa applicant. The information obtained via the Ombudsman was definitely more detailed than the ASPC had told the applicant. The Ombudsman discovered that the ASPC said that the Overseas Post was holding things up.

So the applicant contacted the Overseas Post - which happened to be the Aussie Embassy in Berlin. They confirmed that they were not holding things up so the applicant complained to DIAC's Regional Director for Europe. The Regional Director had already had a go at the ASPC himself but had got no more sense out of them than the visa applicant had.

So the applicant sent him the stuff that the Embassy in Berlin had sent to the applicant. The Director then agreed that the visa application file was evidently in a muddle. He sorted it out and the visa was then granted very quickly.

However it will not always be the case that there is a muddle, obviously. Sometimes there is a genuine muddle and if there is a genuine muddle then DIAC are extremely good at sorting it out. However if it is simply a genuine delay then no amount of pushing will make anything happen faster unless there is a genuine reason for complaining to someone - which might be ASIO rather than DIAC and so on.

From your own point of view, investigating the situation above would keep you busy even if it does not necessarily improve your own situation.

Another way to look at this, though, is that time which has already gone by is water under the bridge. Holding a witch-hunt into that will not necessarily solve anything.

The Minister has said that he intends to ask Parliament to widen the Minister for Immi's powers under the Migration Act 1958. At the moment, S39 oof the Act gives the Minister a very blunt, crude cosh. If he wants to, the Minister can use S39 in order to "Cap & Terminate" the applications for the different visa subclasses:

Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 21. Managing the Migration Program

Please ignore the stuff about Cap & Queue. That is not S39 of the Migration Act. Cap & Queue is a different power in a different section. Please scroll down through Fact Sheet 21 until you get to the "Cap & Terminate" description. That it is a layman's description of S39 of the Act.

On 8th February 2010 - in a sudden announcement that has shocked absolutely everybody - the Minister announced that he intends to use S39 in order to kill off all the GSM visa applications that were received by DIAC before 1st September 2007. This is a very crude way of cutting the size of a backlog but there is a very substantial GSM backlog and S39 is the only tool that the Minister currently has of this type.

The Minister wouldn't dare to use this same tool to try to kill off the outstanding applications that have been received but not processed since 1st September 2007. So the Minister intends to modify the tool. He intends to ask Parliament for the power to limit the number of occupations that he can approve GSM visas for in a particular year.

EXAMPLE ONLY:

The present backlog is about 140,000 GSM visa applications. The Minister says that about 10,000 of these applications are from people where the occupation nominated is Hairdresser and the only reason why the application has become possible is because the applicant has been in Oz on a Student visa, learning about Hairdressing.

If he wants to, the Minister could get the new power proposed and he could then use it to say that in, say, 2010-2011 he will only grant 1,000 visas to Aussie-trained Hairdressers.

And there will be hell to pay if she should try such a thing because most of the Aussie-trained Hairdressers have spent a fortune in hard cash in Australia, for a start, and most of them are still in Australia as we speak. Some of them are doing yet more Student visa courses in order to enable them to remain in Oz. Others are in Oz on sc 457 visas (temporary employer-sponsored.) The Aussie employers will complain if the Minister tries to ditch their GSM visa applications.

It is not clear exactly how the Minister intends to use the new power in order to weed out the visa applications that he generally just "doesn't want" but that will be the buts & bolts of it once he gets the new power.

The pundits in Oz say that the Minister will get this power because there has to be a General Election in Oz by 11th April 2011 at the latest. Apparently the sitting Government in Oz tends to get whatever it wants from Parliament during the run up to a General Election. So it does look as if the Minister will get the power.

Once he gets that power, he might use it in a way that would affect your own occupation and thereby your application. IT IS TOO SOON TO SAY what the Minister will do - he has not said anything so far except that he intends to give himself enough powers to do more or less whatever he likes in relation to Australia's Immigration Program. He has said that he will definitely do some of the weeding out via the applicants' occupations but he has NOT said exactly how he proposes to do it.

Therefore do not leap to any conclusions, Harry. It is no use asking me what the bloke might do to your own application because I have already told you everything that I know and I do not have a crystal ball. I am useless at reading Tea-leaves as well and generally I don't know any of the "methods" for foretelling the future and personally I wouldn't trust any of the "methods" even if I did know how they work. I'm a lawyer, not a soothsayer.

Cheers

Gill

Guest VickyMel
Hi everyone

Am I right in thinking that the state sponsored 475 visas also fall into category 5. I only see references to subclass 176 applications being in category 5.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Yes 475s are also in Cat 5

Also check out the first page of the following thread - Tasha was not able to change the title from 176 to Cat5 - but it is a Cat 5 thread & all are welcome

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/70633-176-ss-non-csl-where-you-now.html

but as you will see there are a lot of 475 folks on there and if you check the first post you will see some have had visas granted.

VickyMel

Guest sagar
Hi All,

Visa grant letter has been received today.

I would like to share with you my timeline.

May 2009: applied online for visa 475 (NT nomination) (Priority 2)

May 2009: frontloaded my medical checks.

June 2009: medical shows “received”

July 2009: CO has been allocated and asked for PCC and form 80

July 2009: PCC and Form 80 were sent

Aug 2009: application is under routine checks.

Sep 2009: CO asked again to resend form 80 due to missing answers.

I am a computer professional and because I have a nomination from the NT, It did not matter for me to claim any specialization.

Sep 2009: on the 23rd, became Cat 5

I thought to make another assessment to claim one of the specialization in the CSL

Oct 2009: I applied for a new assessment

Jan 2010: positive assessment was received (Cat 2)and was forwarded to the CO

Jan 2010: in the next day the CO asked me to resend form 80 due to missing answers (it is the 3rd time to ask for it)

Jan 2010: In the next day, I sent a new form 80.

Feb 2010: changes in law (became Cat 3)

March 2010: PLE (under routine checks).

March 2010: Medical requirements were finalized

Yesterday: I sent an email to my CO about the long time of my routine checks.

Today: received the visa grant letter (Thanks a lot Jesus).

Note: all documents still show "required”

I would like to thank everyone who share in the forum. It was really helpful to me

And wish all the best to get their visa grant letters soon.

BR,

Sam

Hi Sam......

Its really a greatest news

Many Congratulations.....:jiggy:........Really great news

Go and enjoy ur life on new Land of dreams,,,

Hope we all meet soon in AUS....

Congrats AGain..

Always Praying

SAGAR...............:hug:

Guest sparamjit

Hi Guys,

A week back my agent sent an email to my pre sep 23,2009 case offier (from Team 3) who had asked me for PCC and medicals. This is what we got the reply from them. What should I take from this reply...

Dear Mr Singh,

Thank you for your email.

Your file is currently with your case officer for further processing. If

your case officer requires any additional documentation/information to

assist in the processing of your visa application they will contact you.

We appreciate your patience in this matter.

Kind Regards,

Team 3 Support.

Hi Guys,

A week back my agent sent an email to my pre sep 23,2009 case offier (from Team 3) who had asked me for PCC and medicals. This is what we got the reply from them. What should I take from this reply...

Dear Mr Singh,

Kind Regards,

Team 3 Support.

I would take this as positive. It looks like you have a case officer again. Happy Days.

John:jiggy:

Guest VickyMel
Hi Guys,

Dear Mr Singh,

Kind Regards,

Team 3 Support.

Sounds good to me - most people whos applications are not active get an email which says they are not currently with a CO and they are not CSL and referred to the priority categories and the timelines that were given...

So it does sound as if your application is with a CO team.

Some Cat 5 475s have been granted recently

Good luck - hope you hear soon

VickyMel

Hi Guys,

Dear Mr Singh,

Kind Regards,

Team 3 Support.

This does sound very positive for you... good luck!

Why don't you come and join us on the other thread. Check out page one and you will see other 475's who got their visa. It would be nice if you could add your timeline too and I can add your details to the list! You will see details on how to do this on page 1 of the thread; http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/70633-176-ss-non-csl-where-you-now.html

Thanks

Tasha:wubclub:

Archived