Newbies to Canberra

missshelly

• 2 months later...

I am sorry I meant web-forums for Canberra, but now I think about it general sites are good too! I will look at the ones you suggest....thank you!

In what way? What information do you need?

You can start with http://www.allhomes.com.au for real estate, that's pretty specific to this area and very comprehensive.

http://www.liveincanberra.com.au/ is a good place for generic information

I am sorry I meant web-forums for Canberra, but now I think about it general sites are good too! I will look at the ones you suggest....thank you!

Ah, you need RiotACT It isnt exactly a web forum like this one - AFAIK we have nothing like this one dedicated to Canberra but The RiotAct is a good gossipy Canberra place and people do ask questions about things they want to know occasionally, otherwise they just put in their 2 cents worth (it is moderated) and you can usually get the local gen on things that are happening. Not quite as good as it used to be before the "leader" quit but still not too bad.

• 3 weeks later...
bread and butter cafe in the business district

Sorry? Is that a question or a statement? There arent too many bread and butter cafes in Canberra's cbd - none of your Greek/Italian greasy spoon types, you sort of have to head out to Fishwyck for them or any of the suburbs (chicken/pizza/kebab take aways). There used to be one in the bus interchange but I think that has been slightly up-marketized.

Guest makinitinoz

its a place in the cbd called bread and butter the owner ben is a cool redhead guy ive been there and its top noch you should try the schnitzel

Guest makinitinoz

well i have all the certificates i need as an electrician but i have to finish an on site diary and do one more exam but im about to get made redundant so it wont be possible to get it done here and i wanted to know how to go about doing it in canberra as that is were i wanna live

its a place in the cbd called bread and butter the owner ben is a cool redhead guy ive been there and its top noch you should try the schnitzel

Ah, you had me confused, you said the cbd - it's way out by the airport. There are some good places out in Pialligo especially Pod and the Rodneys nursery cafe is good too. Always looking for good places to eat in Civic and think I have tried most of them over the years!

I think the same people own Milk and Honey as own Bread and Butter. Milk and Honey in Civic is one of my favourite places.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest keena
Hi there,

don't know about nursing but my wife & I both found good jobs within a week & a half - it was harder to find a house than the jobs.

Hi there,

just read you post, and in the next few weeks we will be moving to Canberra. I'm just quite curious about finding a job within a week & a half, do they require local experience? what kind of job do you have? is it base on your nominated skill? At this moment, i have mix emotions, happy and excited to move but anxious about the job markets there in Canberra and of course, have some fears looking for a house to rent..... By the way, where in Canberra do you stay? Thank you in advance.... :biggrin:

We are in Florey, Belconnen - seems like a nice area so far, Catherine got a job in HR as her nominated occupation, I am working as a quarry operator - long hours but money ok and my line manager says that he finds it really hard to find "honest hard workers" here.

Good luck with your move - apparently it is easier at this time of year to find rentals so you should be fine.

Guest keena
We are in Florey, Belconnen - seems like a nice area so far, Catherine got a job in HR as her nominated occupation, I am working as a quarry operator - long hours but money ok and my line manager says that he finds it really hard to find "honest hard workers" here.

Good luck with your move - apparently it is easier at this time of year to find rentals so you should be fine.

:wink:thanks for your info.....

Guest keena

Hi! I have another question, regarding opening of account in Canberra. How much do they require? Thanks :cute:

Guest IrishInOz

Kangaroo knocks runner unconscious

Posted 1 hour 47 minutes ago

r534633_3065089.jpg

David Striegl, 25, was attacked by a kangaroo while out jogging.

A Canberra vet says a kangaroo that attacked and knocked unconscious a man out jogging was probably acting to protect his territory.

A 25-year-old man from Macgregor was running during his lunch break on Thursday at Mt Ainslie when he was attacked by a kangaroo.

Canberra vet Michael Archinald says the case does not surprise him.

"They get very territorial at certain times of the year as well, they're protecting their flock," he said.

"They get very antsy and of course this guy would have been running and that's quite a threatening thing to a roo and the roo is like, fight or flight, so in it goes."

Source : Kangaroo knocks runner unconscious - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

my partners a quarry operative as well in aggregates,so do you think he will be ok gettin a job in the same line of work?

I have never worked in a Quarry before now but found this work after trolling round the recruitment agencies with my resume/cv, although none of my UK licences for fork truck, hgv & mobile plant transfer here I highlighted my experience and focussed on safety and quality and they lapped it up.

I have since had a couple of calls from other agencies I visited as well so it seems there is plenty of work if you look for it.

Archived