Newbies to Canberra

missshelly

seem's like your in the same bout as me,i've got hgv,fork truck and that,i knew they dont mean anything over there,ive got family in canberra(holt,conder)spent christmas overthere few years back my missus loved it so when she qualifies we'll probably look in to coming over,anyway thanks for your reply mate.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest londongirl

Hi - I am looking at Canberra as a top choice alongside Sydney and Melbourne. Would you still recommend it for families? What about a single mum and teenage daughter?

Hi - I am looking at Canberra as a top choice alongside Sydney and Melbourne. Would you still recommend it for families? What about a single mum and teenage daughter?

Yup, you could do a lot worse than Canberra. Excellent facilities, all the benefits of big city and big country town without the disadvantages of either. Education is generally fine and if you dont like gov then there is a parallel Catholic system which close to 50% of parents choose for their kids (along with other private options). A bit insular and very much a public service town so it all depends on what your business is. Probably not as attractive longer term for a young adult - many young Canberrans head off elsewhere once they are fledged. Some return and some do not but Australia is a very itinerant country anyway and people move about all the time.

Guest londongirl

That's helpful, thanks. Would you tell me where young adults tend to go off to, if not abroad, in Oz?

• 7 months later...
Guest carlalane
what part of west sussex are you from, we are from Midhurst

been in Canberra just over 2 years.

hi just noticed you are from midhurst. small world! we are living in canberra, moved from Chichester! just got here would love to meet some people!

That's helpful, thanks. Would you tell me where young adults tend to go off to, if not abroad, in Oz?

They tend to go where the work is. Mostly Sydney I suppose but thinking of my sons' friends, there are probably about half who are in UK/Europe (including our eldest), also Brisbane, Adelaide, the Victorian bush and there are a couple still in Canberra. They are all fairly itinerant at the moment though with just a couple who have bought homes and settled down.

• 2 weeks later...

"I think the same people own Milk and Honey as own Bread and Butter. Milk and Honey in Civic is one of my favourite places." Quoll

The owners sold bread and butter about 18 months ago. I worked in the office above B and B for over 2 years and they have the best Hot choc in town. Its still the same as the one at M and H, so I often pass by there when I am in Civic :)

With regards being a single Mum and teenager, I'd say its one of the easier places. I am a single parent and with such little traffic I am able to achieve a very good balance, I have no idea how I would have done all this with my life in the UK.

"I think the same people own Milk and Honey as own Bread and Butter. Milk and Honey in Civic is one of my favourite places." Quoll

The owners sold bread and butter about 18 months ago. I worked in the office above B and B for over 2 years and they have the best Hot choc in town. Its still the same as the one at M and H, so I often pass by there when I am in Civic :)

With regards being a single Mum and teenager, I'd say its one of the easier places. I am a single parent and with such little traffic I am able to achieve a very good balance, I have no idea how I would have done all this with my life in the UK.

Milk and Honey is one of my favourites too - they have some very nice food as well, never went to Bread and Butter.

• 6 months later...

Archived