Anyone "Bored" With the Aussie lifestyle

possie in brissy

Guest flipflop
You guys clearly haven't lived in Australia long enough. :))) 35 years for me, and every state gets boring after a while.. and Adelaide, Dawin, and Perth is the arse end of this country. If we could cut Perth off from Australia and push it out to sea like we did with Tasmania.. we'd be happy. lol

Hey mate....:policeman:

Then again agree with Tamania, that is not worth saving, horrible little place.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sooveroz
Goregeous is an understatement.........Deliverance, Tasmania style

2656023-2-lake-llewellyn.jpg

tasmania looks lovely - its a big regret of mine that we never managed to get there as travel in australia is so expensive. i am going back to rainy scotland where you get stabbed every time you set foot out the door

Eilean-Donan-Castle_Loch_Duich_Scotland.jpg

Guest guest33730
tasmania looks lovely - its a big regret of mine that we never managed to get there as travel in australia is so expensive. i am going back to rainy scotland where you get stabbed every time you set foot out the door

Not every time - I've been out twice today and so far so good!!!

Interesting yes. We taught kids Adventure Training and we were assessors for the D of E scheme. We were also RNR and RMR and taught cadets. Never a dull moment and always surrounded by kids. We loved it.....................but..................My wife couldn't give the nursing care that she trained for, and wanted to deliver to her patients, we lived in a chatty 2 up 2 down and thought that eventually where we lived, would offer less opporunities in the future and become even more unsafe for our kids, and...............most importantly..........we weren't "tied" to family and friends so we just decided to up and off.

kev

Fair doo's Kevin

Thats uncanny... I've been in the UK 3 weeks and its only rained twice and I haven't lost a days work:elvis:

Eilean-Donan-Castle_Loch_Duich_Scotland.jpg

I saw that place in the daytime when the tide was out...And it stank from the amount of decaying seaweed...

Sorry, I'll pull me 'ead in.:wacko:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest33730
I saw that place in the daytime when the tide was out...And it stank from the amount of decaying seaweed...

Cheers, Bobj.

It wasn't the seaweed - it was the bodies of the Aussies that had made comments like that!!!!

Guest flipflop

Cheers, Bobj.

Thats the thing Bob seaweed does rot but the smell is not as bad as when the temprature is 40 plus heat hey :wink:

See Bob is up for a whizz again and its 3.30 am

Guest guest30038

Cheers, Bobj.

I can smell it now Bob............part of the beauty...........my take on it.

1982865-4-eilean-donan-castle.jpg

Guest sooveroz
I can smell it now Bob............part of the beauty...........my take on it.

1982865-4-eilean-donan-castle.jpg

if this is an attempt to make Eilean Donan look bad, then its not working. Its a beautiful place and has survived since the 13th century.

And for a fisherman to complain about the smell! :biglaugh:

Been there many hundered times with overseas visitors when I worked as a tour guide and not once have any commented on the smell!

Guest sooveroz

Ha ha!! maybe you should quit while you are ahead and stay indoors for good.

Guest guest30038
if this is an attempt to make Eilean Donan look bad, then its not working. Its a beautiful place and has survived since the 13th century.

And for a fisherman to complain about the smell!

Been there many hundered times with overseas visitors when I worked as a tour guide and not once have any commented on the smell!

The smell's not ther problem.............it's the bloody tourists. I waited 3 hours for the rain to abate to get a decent pic and then this bloody red raincoat got in the way! :biglaugh:

2332945-2-blot-on-the-landscape.jpg

Guest sooveroz
The smell's not ther problem.............it's the bloody tourists. I waited 3 hours for the rain to abate to get a decent pic and then this bloody red raincoat got in the way! :biglaugh:

2332945-2-blot-on-the-landscape.jpg

fabulous picture though. thanks for posting.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gail.crease
It seems to me that British immigrants understandably sometimes move to the wrong parts of Australian cities.

Some who come from big bustling cities, and love the bustle, move to the quietest part of suburbia without a shop in walking distance and then look around and say "I'm bored!!!" or "where the hell is everybody". Same goes for those who love to pop down the local for a pint and pop up to the shops - on foot.

Australian middle to outer suburbia is like American - car based with shopping malls. Makes sense - big houses built on new land equals low population density that cannot support shop and pub on every corner - so must drive everywhere unless one of the few lucky enough to live near shops/pub etc. Because everyone driving and big houses, spread out, the streets can seem very quiet to someone used to the more compact, higher density living in a lot of British cities.

If you want to maintain even a semblance of the bustle you need to live in the inner cities of Australia's larger cities. These were developed before the 1970's urban sprawl began and have higher density, more places you can go on foot, more visible street life, better public transport etc. Obviously these locations cost more so this needs to be factored in - smaller house, no pool etc.

Of course some people love outer suburbia and it ticks all the boxes for them but I think others just go for the big house/pool/live near the sea without thought for the other stuff - and then complain about living near bogans, bored, suburb to quiet etc. Instead of moving to a more appropriate suburb they then go home or move cities complaining of Australia's/cities faults rather than their bad suburb choices.

Not for a second suggesting this is the cause of all going home/moving interstate (or to do with the OP for that matter - their post just reminded me to write this) - there is obviously heaps of other reasons people move - just hope this helps those yet to make the move factor this in to their suburb choices if they haven't already done so. Might also help them understand "some" of the complaints they are reading about regularly on here.

Totally agree!! We moved to a beach suburb right next to Melbourne so that we're on the beach and close to the CBD for work and play. We thought we'd picked the wrong place as it's so expensive but after travelling to all the major cities and the outer Melbourne suburbs we realised it's the right place for us. We know we'll never have the aussie dream house and pool but we've got the lifestyle we wanted for about 7-8 months a year (still don't like winter here). I can totally understand why some people are bored. If we'd moved out to a suburb with just a little strip of local shops I'd be either slitting my wrist or on the next plane home. For us living in the city is perfect. Melbourne is just the right amount of busy (if that makes sense). I loved London but it's too crowded and I hated travelling on tubes. I love travelling on the trams here. I'm never bored as there's so much going on in the city. We love the theatre, bars and restaurants. We get home quick at night and can do things during the week after work with the kids. There's a great beach cycle trail that we use a lot. Our social live has taken off so much that I think we've actually met too many people now and I'm stressing if I say no to people as we're too busy. We've integrated with the aussies now but I think that's because the aussies in our suburb didn't grow up here and don't have lots of childhood friends. To get to this point we've written lots of pros and cons lists to see where we should live and decided where we landed was the right choice for us. Life's too short to be bored. If you're not happy with what you've ended up with consider how you'll feel in 10 or 20 years. If you feel you'll have regrets then move elsewhere or go back home where you were happier/less bored.

Gail

Guest guest30038
PIO.jpg

Cannot help your wait for the rain to stop...... People are easier to deal with -so I asked them ever so nice...to move!

Thanks for that mate. I have one with 'em cloned out too. Funnily enough, the original I entitled "The Red Coat" sold and the cloned out version hasn't.......go figure :wubclub:

kev

Thanks for that mate. I have one with 'em cloned out too. Funnily enough, the original I entitled "The Red Coat" sold and the cloned out version hasn't.......go figure :wubclub:

kev

Hi,

As you know, a splash of red in most landscape pics gives it a lift...and the people give it a "human interest". I also give a graduated filter to the sky area.

Nice pictures.

I did this last night....not very good technically really, but it was hand held as you can see from the blurred foreground.

Lightening.jpg

L.L.

Guest guest30038
Hi,

As you know, a splash of red in most landscape pics gives it a lift...and the people give it a "human interest". I also give a graduated filter to the sky area.

Nice pictures.

I did this last night....not very good technically really, but it was hand held as you can see from the blurred foreground.

Lightening.jpg

L.L.

Bloody cracker! Storm forecast for this evening so I might have a go.

kev

Archived