Anyone "Bored" With the Aussie lifestyle

possie in brissy

Guest rachellh
Boredom is an emotional state experienced during periods lacking activity or when individuals are uninterested in the opportunities surrounding them.

Philosophy

Boredom is a condition characterized by perception of one's environment as dull, tedious, and lacking in stimulation. This can result from leisure and a lack of aesthetic interests. Labor, however, and even art may be alienated and passive, or immersed in tedium (see Marx's theory of alienation). There is an inherent anxiety in boredom; people will expend considerable effort to prevent or remedy it, yet in many circumstances, it is accepted as suffering to be endured. Common passive ways to escape boredom are to sleep or to think creative thoughts (daydream). Typical active solutions consist in an intentional activity of some sort, often something new, as familiarity and repetition lead to the tedious."

In other words " if you are intelligent and activate your brain, you won't get bored"

That may be the definition for boredom, but I think what some people are saying is they find the place boring, and that as an adjective means: uninteresting, dull, tedious, stale, tiresome, monotonous, old, dead, flat, routine, humdrum, insipid, mind-numbing, unexciting, ho-hum (informal) repetitious, wearisome, unvaried

No offense meant Bobj, as I think it's great that you've had such a long and happy life here, but the main gripe is with Perth and you're in sunny old Queensland - which I have to say has more going for it from what I've seen when visiting my husband's enormous family over there. Can you honestly say would ever want to move to Perth??!! :wink:

I don't know why people keep saying if you're bored here then you must be unintelligent! Rather a sweeping generilisation isn't it? That would be like saying people who enjoy Perth are unintelligent because they find life here really stimulating...

Personally we find it a nice and easy place to live, but dull. Intelligence doesn't come into it (we're both in jobs that require plenty of it), it's simply down to personal preference and possibly what you've grown up with and wish to achieve out of life. Why is that an insult to anyone else?! :huh:

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree to an extent. But the point i was making is that it is often too expensive to travel widely in australia to go to places that are perceived as being somewhat similar to where a person lives eg going on holiday from perth to brisbane etc.

nows thats what I call a holiday,do not wish to go back to the UK to live no way,but wish Spain wasn't so bloody far away,used to go several times a year,loved the beaches,beaches here are better but most have no one on them ,I like to people watch, I enjoyed the beach bars all the tables, sun loungers and shades all set up for you, pay a few euros to enjoy,then go and get a tapas for lunch with a glass of vino while listening to the Spanish music,then theres the night life(all night life) hotels have entertainment for anyone to stroll in and shops open past midnight, if you don't get bashed goin home then you have had a good night (joking):policeman:

Guest sooveroz
nows thats what I call a holiday,do not wish to go back to the UK to live no way,but wish Spain wasn't so bloody far away,used to go several times a year,loved the beaches,beaches here are better but most have no one on them ,I like to people watch, I enjoyed the beach bars all the tables, sun loungers and shades all set up for you, pay a few euros to enjoy,then go and get a tapas for lunch with a glass of vino while listening to the Spanish music,then theres the night life(all night life) hotels have entertainment for anyone to stroll in and shops open past midnight, if you don't get bashed goin home then you have had a good night (joking):policeman:

i say this about perth all the time - for a city built along such a beautiful coastline, they really dont make the most of it. for the amount of beaches there are actually relatively few places you can eat that have a proper ocean view and those that do are mobbed most of the time. most beaches have no undercover areas/shades and certainly no sunloungers/shades - you are expected to be a tru-blu ozzie and take everything but the kitchen sink with you despite the fact that about 40 minutes is all most folk can manage on the beach in perth in the summer - thats if you last that long if the wind doesnt blow you away.

take the west coast highway - so beautiful in parts but to suggest a few more restaurants/bars/cafes is tantamount to sacrilege in perth!! god forbid it would be "wasted" by actually letting folk enjoy it - its to be saved for the use of those that can afford a million dollar plus house. and scarborough and mullaloo - beautiful beaches but not many places to eat - kebab at peters anyone?? it could all be so different if it dragged itself into the 20th century but thats never gonna happen as too many fuddy duddys set in their ways.

• 4 weeks later...
That may be the definition for boredom, but I think what some people are saying is they find the place boring, and that as an adjective means: uninteresting, dull, tedious, stale, tiresome, monotonous, old, dead, flat, routine, humdrum, insipid, mind-numbing, unexciting, ho-hum (informal) repetitious, wearisome, unvaried

No offense meant Bobj, as I think it's great that you've had such a long and happy life here, but the main gripe is with Perth and you're in sunny old Queensland - which I have to say has more going for it from what I've seen when visiting my husband's enormous family over there. Can you honestly say would ever want to move to Perth??!! :wink:

I don't know why people keep saying if you're bored here then you must be unintelligent! Rather a sweeping generilisation isn't it? That would be like saying people who enjoy Perth are unintelligent because they find life here really stimulating...

Personally we find it a nice and easy place to live, but dull. Intelligence doesn't come into it (we're both in jobs that require plenty of it), it's simply down to personal preference and possibly what you've grown up with and wish to achieve out of life. Why is that an insult to anyone else?! :huh:

If Perth is Duller than QLD then thank god Perth was'nt my Plan B

Quoting Rachellh:

"No offense meant Bobj, as I think it's great that you've had such a long and happy life here, but the main gripe is with Perth and you're in sunny old Queensland - which I have to say has more going for it from what I've seen when visiting my husband's enormous family over there. Can you honestly say would ever want to move to Perth??!!

Thanks for the kind words, Rachell, I lived in Perth, firstly in West Leederville (working at Humes Pipes, Subiaco) and secondly, in East Vic Park (working for the then Bell Bros.) and about 13 years in the Kimberlies and Pilbara (working for the Main Roads Dept. and Building iron ore rail links):yes:

Now, all this was fine, but I wanted to see the rest of Australia, so, I did it.

And, you can, too...if you don't weaken:wink:

And, no, I don't want to go back to Perth as it does not offer the lifestyle I have grown accustomed to, even though I had a fabulous time there.

Cheers, Bobj.

We are considering going back home, even though my partner is an Aussie. We both find Melbourne dull and he used to live here before coming to the UK!!! Aussies can't have a good conversation/debate/rant, which we miss with friends and no one pops round for a cuppa/beer despite many offers. We'll carry on plodding on, looking on the bright side - summer is coming and getting out an about seeing this beautiful country.

Guest Rippers

We are bored and spend money to entertain ourselves every weekend.

I know we look back and think what did we really do that was so different in the UK? Our lifestyle is the same, and we have the sun and our little family, but seriously bored out of our head.

I think it's because it takes sooo long to drive anywhere and I don't want to seam rude or upset anybody, and I really mean this, it's just we travelled to Liverpool, Manchester, London etc it's easy and compact.

When we venture out in Australia countryside these towns really give us the heebygeebies - we get looked in a very bizarre way and my husband has been threatened in these True Blue Australian pubs. So unless we spend the money to go to top range bars and boozers than we don't go out.

Sun - sea - lifestyle - no stress - it's all great but really is there anything to do in Australia - I totally agree it's boring !!!!

Why don't you all move to Sydney? Apart from London, I challenge anyone to name a British city with more going on. Norton Street, where I live at the moment, otherwise known as 'Little Italy', is lined with restaurants, pubs, cafes, bookshops, a cinema.

There are so many restaurants in Sydney it would take a lifetime to 'do' them all. Thursday night in Newtown I ate Thai, Friday night in Randwick, Indonesian, Sunday night in Glebe, Vietnamese. Sat night I got a packed bus into the city at midnight where George Street was heaving with people. I went to a 24 hour pub popular with Spurs fan to watch Saturday's game live from London. Most of the Premiership clubs have venues for their fans. (shame about the result!)

The only thing I really miss about England is the easy access to the countryside - being able to hop over a stile and into a field but there is plenty of good bushwalking in the national parks.

Guest rachellh
Why don't you all move to Sydney? Apart from London, I challenge anyone to name a British city with more going on. Norton Street, where I live at the moment, otherwise known as 'Little Italy', is lined with restaurants, pubs, cafes, bookshops, a cinema.

There are so many restaurants in Sydney it would take a lifetime to 'do' them all. Thursday night in Newtown I ate Thai, Friday night in Randwick, Indonesian, Sunday night in Glebe, Vietnamese. Sat night I got a packed bus into the city at midnight where George Street was heaving with people. I went to a 24 hour pub popular with Spurs fan to watch Saturday's game live from London. Most of the Premiership clubs have venues for their fans. (shame about the result!)

The only thing I really miss about England is the easy access to the countryside - being able to hop over a stile and into a field but there is plenty of good bushwalking in the national parks.

Wow it sounds like you have a great life over here, which is refreshing to hear! We did consider moving to Sydney and recently made a trip over to look around at the housing, schools etc. A great place to visit, beautiful city and plenty of buzz, but not the somewhere we'd actually want to live. Too busy and expensive to live in the heart of it (and not what we want with young kids) and if we were miles away in the suburbs we could be, once again, living anywhere! Plus heard the schools are no better over there.

We went to the Blue Mountains on our trip which were really amazing (despite the rain and fog), but I'd still rather have the field and the stile over bushwalking any day!

All that our trip over East really confirmed is that we want to move home and explore more of the UK countryside!

Rachel :biggrin:

Guest siamsusie

We are considering going back home, even though my partner is an Aussie. We both find Melbourne dull and he used to live here before coming to the UK!!! Aussies can't have a good conversation/debate/rant, which we miss with friends and no one pops round for a cuppa/beer despite many offers. We'll carry on plodding on, looking on the bright side - summer is coming and getting out an about seeing this beautiful country.
:no: well at least you have an international airport there bear to get you home which must be such a blessing:wubclub:

Guest proud2beaussie

Apologies to the OP for going off topic but in case you are interested Susie I have seen working documents from within a major airline that is interested in flights from Hobart to New Zealand and on to the US,at this stage it's a proposal only but I believe there is a good chance it will go ahead when the economy picks up.

Guest siamsusie
Apologies to the OP for going off topic but in case you are interested Susie I have seen working documents from within a major airline that is interested in flights from Hobart to New Zealand and on to the US,at this stage it's a proposal only but I believe there is a good chance it will go ahead when the economy picks up.
Nigel, what a godsend that would be to Tasmania economically, actually my shake of the head back there was despair, not at having an international airport, but at Australians not being able to debate etc:biglaugh:. I love the airports in Tasmania , in Launceston its like one big family( and for the ignoramous no laughing please lol) (despite the fact Qantas have contracted out their check in staff but luckily they are satisfied with their new regime). Even the quarantine dogs are friendly and efficient.

This will help tourism and hospitality in this jewel of a state.

Thanks Nigel:wubclub:

Guest John Locke
Why don't you all move to Sydney?.

Easier said than done for some, I think. I share your opinion of Sydney, but personally could not afford to live in or around it. Same with London, I could not afford to live in or around now......what I can do though is `live out a bit` when I go back to the U.K and still get into London in an hour and a half, whether it be with friends, myself and my wife or a family day trip...and still get the last train home....can`t do that when you live `out a bit` here, have to turn a trip to the city into a weekend away...even more difficult with no family or good friends who could have the kids, so everything then becomes increasingly expensive just for a visit to, say, Toronga Zoo....I`m very much a city person and need my fix and I think anyone the same should choose wisely where they end up living in Oz..!

Guest guest30038
Why don't you all move to Sydney? Apart from London, I challenge anyone to name a British city with more going on.

Bristol - where we moved from. Definitely loads to do, the people are the friendliest I've met in the UK

You didn't visit Moss Side in the early 90's then? :biglaugh:

kev

I've been here for 35 years (moved here from the UK when I was 3) and lived in most states during that time. I find Australia boring now, having done everything I've wanted to do here. Brisbane boring, unless you are a young family or retiring couple.. Melbourne and Sydney have their attractions.. but expensive (especially Sydney) and traffic is a nightmare. Sydney really isn't all that when you've lived there long enough, I only go there for Mardi Gras now.

I'm off to live back in the UK early next year, and plan to explore there and Europe, thanks to it's close proximity, its more affordable to visit from there, than flying from Oz all the time.

Cheers

Matt

I must agree as well....

I have been here for almost 3 yrs and still get bored...

Feels like we dont have a social life and its hard to find nice ppl and actually meet some friends, finding it very hard and strange as we are open and very social and outgoing ppl.

Sometimes I was wondering whether it is my fault to get into a stage like that but after many times I have spoken to ppl and I was happy to hear that we were not the only ppl in OZ to be bored out of our brain....

Why is it???

Obviously, coming from UK...is like 100 and 1 in regards to social life and friends.

Ppl has anyone knows, what is going on with the ppl in here and the lifestyle (suppose to be the great Aussie lifestyle). haha Well, not really convinced about that one!!!!

THANKS,

A.

you will love it back in the UK for sure and going to all the wonderful lively places thats there to see also only an hour or two flying times to most other places,hope you will be able to return to Australia if you ever want to without going through all the issues of obtaining a visa,that is an absolute nightmare

Guest guest30038

what is going on with the ppl in here and the lifestyle

I'm guessing that "lifestyle" means different things to different people. Different ages, expectations, aspirations.

I would consider my lifestyle to be a lot better if I didn't have to listen to folk who are bored, infer that either I am boring, don't know what I'm missing in Europe or that I am in someway lacking in intelligence to be so easily pleased............it happens all the time IRL and I have seen plenty of it since joining PIO. Life (style) is what you make it and I'm making mine pretty good thank you...............never a dull moment except when I'm doing the ironing......................now if only I could take it down to the beach or the rainforest :biglaugh:

kev

Guest JoanneHattersley

Im easily pleased too then! In Brissie for 5 years nearly and I love it!

Lifestyle change was just what we wanted! Life is good! Im with you Kev!

you will love it back in the UK for sure and going to all the wonderful lively places thats there to see also only an hour or two flying times to most other places,hope you will be able to return to Australia if you ever want to without going through all the issues of obtaining a visa,that is an absolute nightmare

Better get a bloody good job then , all that euro hoppin costs a good few quid

mally

Guest siamsusie
I'm guessing that "lifestyle" means different things to different people. Different ages, expectations, aspirations.

I would consider my lifestyle to be a lot better if I didn't have to listen to folk who are bored, infer that either I am boring, don't know what I'm missing in Europe or that I am in someway lacking in intelligence to be so easily pleased............it happens all the time IRL and I have seen plenty of it since joining PIO. Life (style) is what you make it and I'm making mine pretty good thank you...............never a dull moment except when I'm doing the ironing......................now if only I could take it down to the beach or the rainforest

kev

Jeesh I had better start looking for ironing piccies tomorrow then, took me all day to find the hoover ones:wink:

Archived